g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Diego Simeone - the missing one

cheeky_backheel

ronaldo always saves himself for the knockouts plus he missed a couple of game with suspension I think. athletico never put juventus under any kind of pressure in any stage of the game. 1 goal would've likely killed the juventus morale and they had 90 minutes. didnt try. like sitting ducks waiting to picked off.
They were over run by a superior team. Even in the first game, Juve dominated proceedings.

Juve are the better team and the final result is only a reflection of it. The egregious result was the 2-0 win in the first leg, which was undeserved of Atletico but was also typical of them.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Where do you get 3-5-2 for Juve exactly? Two CBs, left and right back, Pjanic-Can-Matuidi in midfield, Mandzukic central attacker, and Ronaldo/Bernardeschi on the wings?
Can played RCB for the first two thirds of the game. He didn't play in midfield.

Mrdan1709

Diego costa missing was a massive lost. I believe atletico would have got a goal had he played. Morata was terrible today and showed absolutely no fight or heart

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's not that defensive football is outdated, it's just that the quality of attacking players have been increasing and defenders a.k.a players who are adept at reading the game defensively are becoming rarity.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Of course the approach was right. It was not the most pleasing to watch but it gave Atletico the best chance of getting a favorable result. You play to your strengths, and not help your opponent achieve theirs.

They played their usual 4-4-2, with (excluding injury and suspension) the same lineup that won 2-0 at home. In fact, the lineup in Turin was more attack minded with Lemar instead of Thomas and Arias instead of Filipe.

Atletico have never been an attacking force (even in the 1st leg, Juve had 64% possession), and with the 2-0 lead, their best shot is to defend well and take their chance on the counter and set pieces. With the team weakened defensively, trying to have a go at Juve would have only made it easier for Juve to score.

On the other side, you have juve who are playing at home, having played their last game also at home on Friday, rested all their key players and are overall a better team than Atletico (even in defense). Juve also have a player like CR for these kind of games. Most importantly, Allegri learnt from the first game and went for a more direct and aerial attack.

For perspective, two seasons ago, Juve beat Barcelona 3-0 in the first leg and in the return leg, they sat back and forced a 0-0 draw.
The issue is that ATM changed nothing except subs when they conceded each goals. You come with an initial plan but you have to change it when the circumstances evolve.

Shinjch

It was classic Atletico. I never once trusted them to hold on to the lead from the first leg, but when I saw they were sat as deep as I expected them to be the writing was on the wall.

cheeky_backheel

The issue is that ATM changed nothing except subs when they conceded each goals. You come with an initial plan but you have to change it when the circumstances evolve.
When the tie was still balanced at 2-0, Simeone took off a midfielder in Lemar and brought on a striker in Correa, essentially moving to a 4-3-3, and later took off a defender in Arias and brought on a winger in Vitolo, transforming to a 3-4-3. What more do you want him to do - take off the GK and get on the pitch himself?

Ironically, it was the attacking sub, Correa who gave away the penalty that eventually cost them the tie. Simeone's attempt to go for it cost him the game.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When the tie was still balanced at 2-0, Simeone took off a midfielder in Lemar and brought on a striker in Correa, essentially moving to a 4-3-3, and later took off a defender in Arias and brought on a winger in Vitolo, transforming to a 3-4-3. What more do you want him to do - take off the GK and get on the pitch himself?

Ironically, it was the attacking sub, Correa who gave away the penalty that eventually cost them the tie. Simeone's attempt to go for it cost him the game.
Changes in players doesn't help if their whole mentality stays the same, at 2-2 they should have went up higher with their line and be more positive

MrEleson

They didn’t look like they changed their way of playing though even after those substitutions and supposed tactical modifications. Even at 3-0 all they needed was 1 goal to advance and there was absolutely no sense of urgency or desire. They barely even look bothered when the final whistle was blown. Absolutely baffling performance from them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The worst part of it is that he has an absolutely talented team. But he has this pathological need to turn every bug game into a slugfest. He has Koke, Saul, Lemar, Partey, Rodri. There was absolutely no reason for them to surrender the play to Juve.
Disgusting manager. He's worse than Mourinho.

Adisa

I also don't agree ATM used the same tactics in the first leg. Watch the second half of the first leg again. Most of the play was in Juve's half even though they had more possession. Atletico had a lot of territory.

Trizy

Athletico played exactly how we did against Juventus away without winning or even scoring. Yet the media aren't coming out saying they didn't try play football..etc Double standards, eh?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Team with Koke, Saul, Lemar, Griezmann, Partey should be playing lot better football than what Atletico showed.

It's all good to watch them as underdogs vs big teams and how hard they work as a team but they should be so boring to watch week in week out.

Djemba-Djemba

Atletico seem to win a lot of their games in La Liga 1-0 with goals from a set piece.

So does Simeone play negatively and defensively even against smaller sides like Levante for example?

ArjenIsM3

I've never quite understood the love for Atletico and Simeone. Sure they're the "underdog" vs clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid but they play such shite footy. Simeone's style is Mourinho 2.0.

MrEleson

Atletico seem to win a lot of their games in La Liga 1-0 with goals from a set piece.

So does Simeone play negatively and defensively even against smaller sides like Levante for example?
A resounding yes. They concede possession to most la liga teams. Most of the time it’s 60-40 in favour of the opposition and sometimes even 70-30

Adisa

I won't say they're defensive against small sides. They're just very compact to a fault. A bit like Juve in that sense.
They have majority of the ball but players hardly move around to create space or move into space cause they don't want anyone playing through them. Makes for some very dull games.
To entertain, you need to be expansive to a degree. They're not defensive but very risk averse.

cheeky_backheel

They didn’t look like they changed their way of playing though even after those substitutions and supposed tactical modifications. Even at 3-0 all they needed was 1 goal to advance and there was absolutely no sense of urgency or desire. They barely even look bothered when the final whistle was blown. Absolutely baffling performance from them.
Not for lack of trying. Juve never gave them time on the ball and practically ran them over.

Grit and effort can only take you so far

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

Past season, they faced Malaga in matchday 23. At that point Malaga was dead last, with 13 points, 14 goals scored, 36 conceded and everyone knew they had the worse attack in La Liga.

Well, Griezmann scored in the first minute, in the next 89' minutes Atletico shot 2 times, none of them at goal, while keeping a 53% possesion and Malaga shot 8 times (3 at goal). I have that game in my mind as the worse showing any big team has had against a relegation candidate. You can play better or worse, you can shoot 12 times and lose 1-0 to their one shot, you can be in shambles and lose 4-0, but 100% of the time, a juggernaut will try to play football against teams that are so inferior.

That day Simeone scored a goal and told his team to defend because they could lose, against the worst team in the league. If you put that losing mentality in your squad I think it will only come back to haunt you eventually, he gives his players the role of underdogs for the first leg vs Juve and they do a great job, when they're the favourites they can't cope with that, they renounce at doing anything because they don't want/know how to be favourites and end up serving another awful performance.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I reckon he might walk at the end of the season.

cyberman

play higher and leave more space behind for juve to exploit?
Play higher for a normal side and playing higher for Atleti are two different things.
Atleti could play higher and still be considered too deep. Not everything Atleti could try that wasn't "put 10 men on the goal line" would be ruthlessly exploited by Juve.
When did Juve become this monster that would run them over? They've had a very mediocre CL campaign so far.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Play higher for a normal side and playing higher for Atleti are two different things.
Atleti could play higher and still be considered too deep. Not everything Atleti could try that wasn't "put 10 men on the goal line" would be ruthlessly exploited by Juve.
When did Juve become this monster that would run them over? They've had a very mediocre CL campaign so far.
They don't even need to play higher, they just had to show some intent of hitting Juve back with long balls and 3/4 players running in counters. Instead they tried to pass the ball around to lose time because they didn't even need to score, that puts Juve in a position where they know no matter how hard they look for the goal, they won't pay for it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I could see Mourinho taking over at Atletico when Simeone calls it a day.

The squad is right for him and it’s the perfect club for his mentality. They’re used to playing that way, they’re used to being the underdogs and they have a chip on their shoulder that he can exploit.

Djemba-Djemba

Past season, they faced Malaga in matchday 23. At that point Malaga was dead last, with 13 points, 14 goals scored, 36 conceded and everyone knew they had the worse attack in La Liga.

Well, Griezmann scored in the first minute, in the next 89' minutes Atletico shot 2 times, none of them at goal, while keeping a 53% possesion and Malaga shot 8 times (3 at goal). I have that game in my mind as the worse showing any big team has had against a relegation candidate. You can play better or worse, you can shoot 12 times and lose 1-0 to their one shot, you can be in shambles and lose 4-0, but 100% of the time, a juggernaut will try to play football against teams that are so inferior.

That day Simeone scored a goal and told his team to defend because they could lose, against the worst team in the league. If you put that losing mentality in your squad I think it will only come back to haunt you eventually, he gives his players the role of underdogs for the first leg vs Juve and they do a great job, when they're the favourites they can't cope with that, they renounce at doing anything because they don't want/know how to be favourites and end up serving another awful performance.
That all sounds awful to watch.

At first I admired their discipline and defensive organisation but it's been long enough now for Simeone to evolve and get Atletico playing nicer football. They've got the players to play good football.

I think Simeone will end up at Chelsea soon enough. He seems a perfect fit for them.

I'm not going to take away the amazing job Simeone has done at Atletico de Madrid.The very reason we're talking about them is because of him.
But with the quality of offence and midfield they have at their disposal now you would like to believe they could tweak their style to a more progressive offensive one.
Whether Simeone is the one to get them heading in the direction is up for debate.

Alabaster Codify7

Can't stand Simeone or his football. Would hate us to get him, I'd possibly have to stop watching as it'd be like Jose/LVG all over again. For me, Simeone has Chelsea written all over him - like a rebirth of the old Jose; cultivate an underdog mentality in a big side with some top players, based on a rock solid defence and aggression.

izec

Bottled it yesterday. Should have gone for that one goal from the start. Juve knew what they would do and they didnt make it difficult. They were atrocious, reminded me of us with Jose at the helm away to top teams. You cant play like that anymore away to top dogs, or else you lose. He took them as far as he could, time for a change for both if you ask me.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Gutless performance from Atletico yesterday. Very disappointing.

Obviously the 2 0 lead has played with their minds. If they just go out and play their normal game I think they would have gone through. Zero shots on target pretty much tells the story as does that spell just before half time where they just pointlessly passed it around with no attempt to create something.

RedDevil@84

Team with Koke, Saul, Lemar, Griezmann, Partey should be playing lot better football than what Atletico showed.

It's all good to watch them as underdogs vs big teams and how hard they work as a team but they should be so boring to watch week in week out.
I never understood why all the attacking minded players would want to cling on to Atletico with such a game plan being the usual.

Charles Miller

I've never quite understood the love for Atletico and Simeone. Sure they're the "underdog" vs clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid but they play such shite footy. Simeone's style is Mourinho 2.0.
That is probably the reason for most people.

cheeky_backheel

You gotta take a risk because 1 goal would have killed them off, this coward mentality didn't result into anything.
It was the so called 'take a risk' that led to him bringing on another striker in Correa (to make it a front 3), but what they got in return was correa giving away the penalty.

cheeky_backheel

There is nothing different about it. Simeone brought in more attack minded players, and paid the price of conceding a penalty. They got 10 man behind the ball cos they had no choice.

Juve has always had the capability for big games, just like they showed last year, when they almost reversed a 3-0 home loss to Madrid by running Madrid off the field at the Bernabeu (and they didnt have CR7 last year)
They don't even need to play higher, they just had to show some intent of hitting Juve back with long balls and 3/4 players running in counters. Instead they tried to pass the ball around to lose time because they didn't even need to score, that puts Juve in a position where they know no matter how hard they look for the goal, they won't pay for it.
Seems you just saw the final score and didnt watch the actual game.

The first goal came from Atletico trying to push up and attack. They lost the ball in midfield and the early cross from Bernadeschi found CR7 alone with the diminutive Juanfran at the far post.