Dimitar Berbatov

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Ekeke, can pursuing not also mean following a players progress actively, without making a bid on him?
No he probably has a point on that Brwned im not arguing that and have explained what I meant by that a million times. He is just using one word, as a basis to carry this on.

Fergies Formula

You're right, for the first time. You said "pursuing" :

pur·sue Audio Help /pərˈsu/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[per-soo] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -sued, -su·ing.
–verb (used with object) 1. to follow in order to overtake, capture, kill, etc.; chase.
2. to follow close upon; go with; attend: Bad luck pursued him.
3. to strive to gain; seek to attain or accomplish (an end, object, purpose, etc.).
4. to proceed in accordance with (a method, plan, etc.).
5. to carry on or continue (a course of action, a train of thought, an inquiry, studies, etc.).
6. to continue to annoy, afflict, or trouble.
7. to practice (an occupation, pastime, etc.).
8. to continue to discuss (a subject, topic, etc.).
9. to follow: They pursued the river to its source. I felt their eyes pursuing me.
10. to continue; go on with (one's course, a journey, etc.).
–verb (used without object) 11. to follow in pursuit.
12. to continue.

In short - You said we were chasing after Berbatov for 3 years.

Glad we sorted that out.
in short your a 100% grade A cnut - and thats a fact
** a repressed little insecure boy

Ekeke

So Sam doesn't want Berbatov or Villa? Feck me, he has some high standards.

I think Berbatov is the dogs bollocks. He may be a lazy, moody fecker, but when he is in the mood the lad is unplayable. In our team he would be a sensation. Alan Hansen is correct when he says he has the best first touch in England. Allied to that is his fantastic composure and awareness, as well as the fact he is good in the air as well as his ability to create and score goals = the ideal centre forward.
All very true. A brilliant player. And I'm not sure anyone actually disagrees.

The question is... Is he the right player to bring out the best in the players we already have? And thats where people disagree.

Most would agree that Rooney is best playing off and behind another striker. Personally, I felt Rooney's best partnership was with Saha last year, because of the qualities Saha had. It was a fantastic partnership in prospect because of all the complimentry abilities they had. But it wasnt quite perfect, because neither player was a fantastic finisher. They both still missed chances they really should be scoring 9 times out of 10.

For me, Rooney was good last year but nowhere near his best. I think we lost the two things that marked Rooney out from a crowd - A fantastic long ranged shot and a very clever through pass. These were the features of his game that I enjoyed most and the two things I feel he was most effective with. We also stopped seeing Rooney's great dribbles he'd come up with in the past. I can think of 4 or 5 times where Rooney had in the past gone past 3 or 4 players... And I admit, he usually ended up fluffing the shot. But those are the moments he is capable of and I feel his 'form' and these abilities are directly tied with him getting back to his natural position behind a striker. I think thats where he has most confidence, thats where he feels natural and can express himself best. He can't do any of these with his back to goal. He needs to face it.

So, because the press and certain posters were sure we were trying to sign Berbatov, I made sure to watch Spurs as often as possible. And because of that I got to see some really good games. But I also noticed that Berbatov was not playing where he was played for Leverkusen many years ago when we played them in the champions league. He was dropping off in almost every attack and was only playing in front of Robbie Keane when the keeper was kicking the ball half way up the pitch. As a side note, half the time Berbatov would bring the ball out of the sky and down to the ground brilliantly. Half the time it would get away from him. But it was a good tactic, as it worked somewhat.

This is someone I'd rather us not sign. Not because he isnt a fantastic player, but because we already have the stars of our team and now we just need to ally them with players who will get the best from them. And thats not to say that whoever we sign cant be a star player himself, just that its far more important that they have the right complimentry style and ability to bring the best out of, in this case, Rooney and Ronaldo.

For me, Rooney has good pace but not great. He can finish well, but often he wont. He plays best behind another forward, who makes the runs over the top and is more relied upon to score goals than he is, which allows for Rooney's mistakes in front of goal... Else he'll cost us games with his finishing. And Rooney at his best, was as good as any off striker at picking out the run of his partner and playing a great through pass to set him away.

So thats why I would like us to sign someone with good pace, with a will to get behind the last defender and through on goal and with a very good finish. Because I feel that will get the best out of Wayne Rooney.

I will add that, with regard to Berbatov - £30 million would be far too much to pay for a player who is 27 and not already at one of the top clubs. Normally when that kind of fee is paid, its because a player has 10 years left on his career and awesome potential to become one of the best 2 or 3 players in his position during that time. Or, its a player who is essential to one of Europe's elite top clubs. Real, Barcelona or in the past, Juventus.

I think there's so much hype over him because he is skillful and if you watch highlights, he will always do something classy to impress you, that the fee would be £25 million or more. Which to me is way over the top, especially considering we'll be paying that for the services of Tevez too.

Now again, this is my opinion and not everyone will agree. But Tevez last season showed himself not to be a fast player. I'm thinking and hoping it was partly to do with fatigue and not having rest, as I can remember a few games where he looked a tad bit more mobile - but still not that fast. I hope that next season he will show that he does have a Rooney standard of pace, but I'm not at all sure its going to happen. Instead I'm of the belief he'll only be slightly faster than he was this season.

And having watched Berbatov a lot this season also, I feel they would not be a good combination. I feel that once again, like Rooney, Tevez' best partner is a mobile goal scorer who will get on the end of his creativity and score the majority of the goals between the two of them. And regardless of how skillful Berbatov is, thats not him.

So again, I say that paying £30 million for Tevez as we will need to by the end of this season and then £30 million (or 25) on Berbatov, when they wont be a good partnership sounds mad. If we manage to finally get Manucho here, he'd have even more problems playing with Berbatov.

And thats my thinking explained in depth. I'm sure lots of people will disagree, but tough turd nuggets, thats my opinion and I've seen all the players (minus Manucho) in question enough to be entirely solid on it.

Although having said all that, if we got him much cheaper than expected he'd hardly be the worst player to buy. Just not one of the best either, again, in my opinion.

Edit - I also feel Ibrahimovic is more mobile and would therefore be a better partner for Tevez and Rooney than Berbatov, whilst being a very similar style of player. So if we're going to go £30 million on that kind of player, he'd only be my 2nd choice.

Ekeke

Ekeke, can pursuing not also mean following a players progress actively, without making a bid on him?
Then we are pursuing the whole of Portugal with our scouts, as CQ has said we are following the progress of many players all over the country.

We are also most likely pursuing all good players in Europe. Is that incorrect?

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Has retired today. How do you rate his passage here?

DoomSlayer

Loved the man
Criminally treated by Fergie in THAT CL final.
Worth every penny simply for that hat-trick against the Koppites
Cult classic
:drool: My biases are obvious. I'm proud that a fellow countryman of mine had the honour to wear the United shirt and badge, it was incredible to witness for me at the time.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I remember actually saying "Oh get fecked" out loud whilst having to leave the room during the Blackpool (A) game in 2010/11.

Scholes absolutely hammered a cross field pass at just below head height, in no way intended for Berbatov, he just threw his leg up and killed it dead, it almost looked impossible to do given the pace Scholes put on the pass. It still ranks amongst one of the greatest touches I have ever seen.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I remember actually saying "Oh get fecked" out loud whilst having to leave the room during the Blackpool (A) game in 2010/11.

Scholes absolutely hammered a cross field pass at just below head height, in no way intended for Berbatov, he just threw his leg up and killed it dead, it almost looked impossible to do given the pace Scholes put on the pass. It still ranks amongst one of the greatest touches I have ever seen.
What a magnificent touch it was too. I remember there being another at the end of a CL match maybe? where he plucked it out of the sky and walked off. :lol:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He was immensely entertaining to watch and one of my favorite players throughout his time here.

Loved watching Berbatov. Football without players like him would be so boring.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Some people including a lot of our fans seem to class Berbatov as a flop for some reason.

I thought he was a great player. He was even joint top goalscorer in one season (alongside Tevez at City) if I recall correctly.

We were spoilt for options upfront back then and perhaps his playing style wasn't the best suited to the type of football we were playing at the time.

However, he was a quality player in my opinion and I am happy we signed him.

I'm sure he will be back at United in some capacity in the future.

Last edited:

Irwin99

A class player but.....i think his personal success here was moderate. His first two seasons were very mixed, his third was obviously very good until he was replaced by Hernandez and he was clearly out of favour from then onwards. Don't think he ever quite suited our style of play at all.

His first touch though :drool:

RooneyLegend

Ruined a trully great side with the adjustments needed to be made to fit him in. As an individual player he was great, very very talented.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Some people including a lot of our fans seem to class Berbatov as a flop for some reason.

I thought he was a great player. He even was joint top goalscorer in one season (alongside Tevez at City) if I recall correctly.

We were spoilt for options upfront back then and perhaps his playing style wasn't the best suited to the type of football we were playing at the time.

However, he was a quality player in my opinion and I am happy we signed him.

I'm sure he will be back at United at some capacity in the future.
People rave about Van Persie dragging us to the title, but Berbatov achieved something similar himself which has been forgotten it seems. He along with Nani carried us to that title in 2010/11. Berbatov finishing joint top scorer and Nani finishing with the most assists in the league. We weren't good at all that year.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was unlike any striker we had. That makes him above average.

Tapori

:drool: My biases are obvious. I'm proud that a fellow countryman of mine had the honour to wear the United shirt and badge, it was incredible to witness for me at the time.
Living in London, whenever I meet a Bulgarian, 9/10 their face lights up when they hear I'm a United fan and they say:
"Ah, Berbatov."

lsd

The Oracle
People rave about Van Persie dragging us to the title, but Berbatov achieved something similar himself which has been forgotten it seems. He along with Nani carried us to that title in 2010/11. Berbatov finishing joint top scorer and Nani finishing with the most assists in the league. We weren't good at all that year.

Not really Van Persie carried us all season whereas Berbatov scored all his goals in like 6 games

Josh 76

We didn't really need him. Should have spent the money on Tevez. Had his moments, but was way below the pecking order if comparing him with other Utd forwards.

Eric7C

We didn't really need him. Should have spent the money on Tevez. Had his moments, but was way below the pecking order if comparing him with other Utd forwards.
Berbatov was a great player, but you are right; losing two of Ronaldo-Tevez-Rooney in one summer was one of Fergie's rare mistakes.

Micky Targaryen

He mentioned that he intends to stay in football in some capacity. Really hope we get him on board in some sort of coaching role. His attitude towards our club and first touch is second to none. Seems like an intelligent person as well, would be a good mentor for the kids.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Ruined a trully great side with the adjustments needed to be made to fit him in. As an individual player he was great, very very talented.
On paper it looked potentially great. Goalscoring and more importantly playmaking forward who will facilitate our attack and release Ronaldo/Rooney. A new Cantona would be best description, but surrounded with much superior team.

It didn't worked the way as it was planned, but the move made a lot of sense. Still goes into one of the best players I saw live on the stands. Amazing talent.

Bwuk

One of my favourite players of all time.

Berbatov in this current side would be excellent.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Never understood why no one played him as a 10. His passing weight was superb, had good vision and then wouldn't need to run.

That video is utter filth. Magnificent stuff.

Slevs

likes to play with penises

I always call that the greatest control I've ever seen. I think I heard the sound of my jaw hitting the floor when that happened.

FrantikChicken

I'm pretty sure we offered Tevez a contract, he refused it.

Never understood why no one played him as a 10. His passing weight was superb, had good vision and then wouldn't need to run.

That video is utter filth. Magnificent stuff.
He basically played behind Rooney as a 10 in his first season.

Berbatov had his struggles but it still astounds me that Danny Welbeck was being picked ahead of him at times. Can't really wrap my head around it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Has retired today. How do you rate his passage here?
Not highly. He frustrated the feck out of all of us when he was here, it’s just those memories have now receded so all we’re left with are the highlights.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
incredibly skilled and a unique player. He put up good numbers here and won some leagues.

Not a flop at all.

But the FA Cup against City and Blackburn in the league (if I remember correctly) he had a chance to be the hero in Rooney's absence. He missed chances in these games and Fergie never forgave him.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Had his moments but I never took to him. Thought he hindered our style of play with how lazy he was and that we never really needed to add him or any other forward that summer. We did sell off Saha but he was always injured anyway. Suppose I'd liked to have seen someone more mobile if dipping into the market which I don't believe we needed to do at all.