Diogo Costa Porto keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

I would listen to our Portuguese posters who mostly are on mark on the players from their league and temper the expectations a bit on Costa , who it seem is getting bit overrated on here and is seen as sure hit .
I think that's right. If he is coming, he wouldn't be coming to be undisputed #1, though, but rather to compete with De Gea for the position. I don't think there are many great options out there for us, so it is likely to be a younger goalkeeper that comes in - someone who isn't the finished article yet, but has the talent to potentially take the top spot from De Gea during the course of next season.

Costa would seem to be a good fit. I also like Kobel, who I believe we've been linked with, but is unlikely to move. Vanja Milinković-Savić has also developed into a very good keeper.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think that's right. If he is coming, he wouldn't be coming to be undisputed #1, though, but rather to compete with De Gea for the position. I don't think there are many great options out there for us, so it is likely to be a younger goalkeeper that comes in - someone who isn't the finished article yet, but has the talent to potentially take the top spot from De Gea during the course of next season.

Costa would seem to be a good fit. I also like Kobel, who I believe we've been linked with, but is unlikely to move. Vanja Milinković-Savić has also developed into a very good keeper.
I do think it’s possible the club are being incredibly risk averse- or potentially very sensible depending on how you look at it - in renewing de Gea and going for Costa as well.

Costa is a young keeper from a foreign league. Let’s say he comes in and drops absolute clangers in his first 5 games. We’re not going to start Tom Heaton, so it stands to reason we’d need genuine competition to come in and take him out of the firing line. De Gea himself had a shaky start, I bet Fergie was relieved he had Lindegaard as backup instead of a 40 year old who never plays.

Whether or not renewing De Gea for 3 years on big money when you could sign a cheaper backup to do that job, that’s another story. But I sort of see the logic.

Zed 101

Finalising a proposal. Then we get to the prepare to send it before we warm up the fact machine. That stage will take a few months
Can't help but wonder how many players we have missed out on due to the slow way in which we now operate, I remember us signing Cantona, and even Ronaldo like in an instant, the way we operate now we would probably have missed out of both.... I do like the idea of a fact machine though

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Can't help but wonder how many players we have missed out on due to the slow way in which we now operate, I remember us signing Cantona, and even Ronaldo like in an instant, the way we operate now we would probably have missed out of both
Fergie had more power I guess. He told Ronaldo the plane wasn’t leaving Lisbon without him :lol:

Matt851

Of course they're probably not 50k, but it's probably quite a considerable drop seeing as he's still yet to agree to the new contract. It's pure guess work as to how much lower they are, but it's probably safe to say it's a fair bit lower, as this has been dragging all season.
Even if they are halved he still be one of the best paid keepers in Europe despite the fact no other top club would touch him with a barge pole.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’ve eased out after finding that Portuguese fans/league fans don’t rate him that highly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Get it done. Would love a keeper actually being able to initiate moves and help us beat a press’s

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
As an arsenal fan, I hope united gets him, he's not better than de gea.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He is in the build up and at penalties. Hard to say anything else for certain, but we must think he's got the potential to be all round better

sparx99

I'm looking forward to Ramsdale's fall from grace next season. He seemed to get a lot of unearned love this year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is better suited for what Ten Hag is trying to do. He’s not a better keeper I agree. He also won’t save us as many points as Dave but we might be a better team for it.

Legendary

He's far better than De Gea at distribution, on the level of Ederson and Onana, in that regard.
He is also much better at sweeping and claiming crosses, which would help stop us receiving as many shots on goal.

His shot stopping is great for the league he is in, but untested at the top level, though he does save a fair few penalties.

Like any keeper Costa does have the occasional brain fart in him, though his build up and sweeping makes up for it in my opinion.
Even Neuer has been made to look like a mug a few times, it's the nature of the position, and being proactive rather than reactive.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Are you speaking as a Lisbon fan judging a Porto player? :)
I'm an Académica supporter, I hate all the big 3 in equal measure :)
He is in the build up and at penalties. Hard to say anything else for certain, but we must think he's got the potential to be all round better
He has the potential, for sure, but I don't think he'll make much difference in the immediate.
I'm looking forward to Ramsdale's fall from grace next season. He seemed to get a lot of unearned love this year.
He did some mistakes but overall he was pretty good. I wouldn't swap him for Costa.
He is better suited for what Ten Hag is trying to do. He’s not a better keeper I agree. He also won’t save us as many points as Dave but we might be a better team for it.
Yeah maybe, it will be interesting to see how he adapts. I guess it's just for a team like you united you kinda expect a keeper who you think "boy this guy will win them an extra 7-8 points a season" and it doesn't feel like that kind of transfer. But being Portugal's goalie I'm certainly curious to see how it goes.

sparx99

He did some mistakes but overall he was pretty good. I wouldn't swap him for Costa.
I know he was good this year but that feels like an outlier to me. I don’t think he’s going to be consistently a top goalkeeper. But who knows.

sugar_kane

He seems very highly rated on t'internet but he just has a slight look of rabbit in the headlights about him which puts me off.

Disclaimer - I haven't seen the guy play much, so am showcasing the absolute worst case of football fan ignorance here...

Idxomer

I think he has the higher ceiling but Onana is more proven at the highest level. Right now, there isn't really much difference in quality between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.