Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeky_backheel

And another dig at our scouts when praising him in the post match "I’m not a scout, I have no chance to do that. I can do it with Dalot because he is Portuguese. I can control that market pretty well. He’s a player with fantastic potential"
where is the dig? he simply stated the truth in that he does not have the ability to be a scout and that dalot was a benefit of him being more familiar with the portuguese market (and probably personal connections with Porto).

Signing players like Dalot for reasonable fees is very difficult. Madrid got Varane for cheap cos of Zidane's french contacts.

Some of you just like to see ghosts in every shadow

cheeky_backheel

He’s not rapid, I don’t think, which is a shame, as he appears to have everything else he needs. He can still become a good player, but he doesn’t really look like he will power past people, which is a huge asset for an attacking full-back.
Marcelo is not the fastest LB around but you cant question his offensive prowess. A lack of pace going forward can be made up with dribbling, guile, and well timed runs.

A full back needs pace more on the defensive end than on the offensive, so as to keep up with faster attackers and recover from inferior positions or when beaten.

cheeky_backheel

Good going forward, but most of you miss his lack of defensive positioning.

Still needs 5-6 games in the starting lineup and we'll see.
and you seem to miss his age.

Some things only get better with experience and game time.

He will still have a few bad or even terrible games, but anyone that has watched the game enough can see the talent and potential he has.

redasian

Hi all. I'm new here - been lurking awhile, finally got round to making an account. Yesterday was shocking for one reason: we finally have a right flank. (I know it's just Fulham but still!) When the kid busted a gut and slid in (about 1:54 on the video posted above which I can't link) I kinda fell in love. here's hoping he keeps it up.

stu_1992

Was really good yesterday, but it's important not to just automatically expect that level from him every game from here on out. Fulham were terrible yesterday and gave him so much space. Hopefully he can still deliver that calibre of cross when under pressure.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Hi all. I'm new here - been lurking awhile, finally got round to making an account. Yesterday was shocking for one reason: we finally have a right flank. (I know it's just Fulham but still!) When the kid busted a gut and slid in (about 1:54 on the video posted above which I can't link) I kinda fell in love. here's hoping he keeps it up.
Hello! You’re absolutely right. It’s phenomenal really. We had the luxury of a wide pitch and switching play for the first time in many many years

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
His crossing is fantastic. We need to play him high up the pitch though and with cover defensively. I'm not overly impressed with his defensive side yet but I love attacking players and he could add another dimension to our game if we play him right.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
That’s a terrible video tbh. Shows the build up to most of his crosses but then doesn’t show the delivery!
Yep, a lot of the more pertinent bits are missing, but that was the only compilation available on Youtube. I have some clips of the crosses on Streamable if you wanna watch 'em:

Can't/won't upload on Youtube because of copyright shenanigans.

Rossa

He’s not rapid, I don’t think, which is a shame, as he appears to have everything else he needs. He can still become a good player, but he doesn’t really look like he will power past people, which is a huge asset for an attacking full-back.
He did match Sessegnon for speed on one occasion, but I never feel safe that he will not be outpaced. That was one of the things I liked about Valencia - just let runners have a go at him and they would quickly realise that they would be beat - even Sane stopped trying after being bested by a 31-32 year old. It is a very important trait for modern fullbacks, but then again, Alonso is good, and he is slower than Dalot. Monreal was succesful due to great timing, and Gary Neville was never fast. Dalot may still be recovering from his injury, but if this is his top level for speed, he will need to compensate. I agree that other attributes seem to be well in place.

Rossa

He actually owned Mane when Porto played Liverpool at Anfield in last year’s CL if my memory serves me right.
Hopefully he can do that again then! He needs to position himself very well for that to happen again. Normally, I would have Valencia against Mane because of his speed and strength, but Valencia has not been up to his own standards this season, not even physically.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
His opposite number at Manchester City.
Did you see the full game yesterday? He showed the Fulham LB a clean pair of heels in the second half. And the LB in question is no slouch.
The video below shows his acceleration is very good, especially at the start of the video, before he got injured. Kyle Walker I assume you're talking about when you're measuring his "rapidness". Walker as fast as he is, and he's faster than most, doesn't hold a candle to Dalot regards potential at the same age.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@GifLord Any footage of when Dalot beats the Fulham LB for pure pace please? It was at the end of the 79th minute.

pascell

One of my main gripes with our attackers is that no one attacks the near post, it should be basics for a striker. As soon as we get one that can do that then Dalot will get many assists.

He got some negatives after the arsenal game on here which was very premature, can't wait to see what he does when he's fully match fit and sharp after a run of games.

izec

He has so much room for improvement too, kid is only 19. Hope he plays regularly til the end of the season, i can see him being a long time here if he keeps on playing and improving. Great signing we made fro the RB spot. With Cancelo, Semedo and Dalot, Portugal dont have to worry for a RB in the future.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Cheers buddy
Welp thats not beating him for pace, he just put in a weak challenge and Dalot had the balance to ride it and didnt want the freekick

But I have seen that he's quick in other pieces of play, easily quick enough for a fullback

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Welp thats not beating him for pace, he just put in a weak challenge and Dalot had the balance to ride it and didnt want the freekick

But I have seen that he's quick in other pieces of play, easily quick enough for a fullback
I disagree, in the sideshot replay it's pretty clear to me he's accelerating away from the Fulham player.

Shark

@NotShark
If he puts in a few more performances like yesterday, he really could be the right winger we’re looking for. Those crosses were top class.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Looks more of a battle of strength than speed to me. A stronger LB would have just swatted him off.
There's countless examples of him doing the same to other players. The sideshot clearly shows he was accelerating away from the Fulham player who had to then lunge in to stop him.

Here's him against Young Boys in the UCL. He demonstrates fantastic acceleration at 38 seconds to leave the defender trailing. One thing he isn't is slow. And I'm sorry Kyle Walker is not world class. Too limited in the final third, even if he is fast in a straight line.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There's countless examples of him doing the same to other players. The sideshot clearly shows he was accelerating away from the Fulham player who had to then lunge in to stop him.

Here's him against Young Boys in the UCL. He demonstrates fantastic acceleration at 38 seconds to leave the defender trailing. One thing he isn't is slow. And I'm sorry Kyle Walker is not world class. Too limited in the final third, even if he is fast in a straight line.
Anyway, he’s a footballer in the public domain, who we have both watched. From my observation, he’s not very fast. Antonio Valencia if a couple of years ago was a very fast full back. I think Dalot’s speed is average or slightly above. That doesn’t mean he’s not good, but if he happened to have Walker or Yedlin speed to go along with his other abilities then he’d be a different proposition. Not every footballer is rapid, of course, but the ones that play on the sides of the pitch are usually amongst the fastest.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Anyway, he’s a footballer in the public domain, who we have both watched. From my observation, he’s not very fast. Antonio Valencia if a couple of years ago was a very fast full back. I think Dalot’s speed is average or slightly above. That doesn’t mean he’s not good, but if he happened to have Walker or Yedlin speed to go along with his other abilities then he’d be a different proposition. Not every footballer is rapid, of course, but the ones that play on the sides of the pitch are usually amongst the fastest.
He may not have Walker or Yedlin pace that I can agree with you. But he's more than quick enough to be a great player for his position. What he has over the players you mention is better dribbling and know how in the final third which is something we have sorely missed over the years. It'll be interesting to see how he develops in the the coming months and years.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I have to admit I thought he had less pace than he showed against Fulham. Probably something to do with his injury, but his acceleration seems to be very good. I can't get over how impressive of a game he had against them. I love Valencia and he has done a decent job in reestablishing himself as a fullback but he is done, and this guy seems like a much better fit for us with his qualities. His crossing is magnificent. I don't care if it was only in one game, Shaw and Valencia combined has not put in that many good crosses together for a few years and he did it in one game. It is actually crazy, so let us give credit to this young man because not many people are capable of showing quality like he did. Real potential

criticalanalysis

Yep, a lot of the more pertinent bits are missing, but that was the only compilation available on Youtube. I have some clips of the crosses on Streamable if you wanna watch 'em:

Can't/won't upload on Youtube because of copyright shenanigans.
In the first two clips, he does a stepover and then accelerates on the outside like it's a go-to-move for him. A really straight forward hesistation/'skill' then bam move the ball wide..reminds me of a certain Ecuadorian player :D

He has decent acceleration and more importantly for him, a long stride, quite agile and good upper body strength. That alone is more than enough to beat players AND defend. I think he will be fine in 1-on-1 situations, he might need to learn/gain experience on positioning though.

Shaw has this problem too.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Would you risk him against Mane at Anfield or too soon for him?

We could go with 5 at the back like against Arsenal so maybe we could

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well done Woodward and scouting team for signing him.

The way he shifts the ball and hits the cross is very good, hopefully Lukaku will find his form and also attack the crosses rather than just standing in 1 position. Should have had at least 2 assists vs Fulham.

pascell

Looks like we have Jose to thank for him coming. Last week he did quite a long interview with the United website, he talked quite a lot on the influence of Jose getting him here, he's got a great attitude going by that interview.

edgar allan

Looks like we have Jose to thank for him coming. Last week he did quite a long interview with the United website, he talked quite a lot on the influence of Jose getting him here, he's got a great attitude going by that interview.
I wouldn't read to much into that,players looking a game usually say nice things about their manager.

Having said that, it would be great if one of Jose's signing actually turned out to be a success. He looked class on his debut earlier in the season and it is strange that it has taken to Dec to give him his chance.

pascell

I wouldn't read to much into that,players looking a game usually say nice things about their manager.

Having said that, it would be great if one of Jose's signing actually turned out to be a success. He looked class on his debut earlier in the season and it is strange that it has taken to Dec to give him his chance.
The interview was before the Arsenal match and he talked about Jose bringing him in and speaking to him personally to persuade him to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.