Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCurry

I don’t know yet about how good he can be as a player but he is way beyond his years in terms of maturity in post match interviews.

croadyman

I'm normally as against buying as you'll find on this forum, but this time it's the right thing to do. Darmian will be shipped out and Valencia either will be or is effectively retired. We don't have a kid who can come through - Ethan Laird is way too young - and it would be madness to back a 20-year-old up with someone even less experienced anyway.

Buy Wan Bissaka or someone similar and give the two boys equal footing, let them fight it out for the position.
I still can't decide whether we should have him and Wan Bissaka fighting it out or go for an experienced option and use him as understudy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiber

gotta love this kid.
Incredibly impressive interview. And he is starting to flash real talent on the field as well

Just wish Ole would give him a long run at RB between now and the end of the season. Let him come in show what he can do and allow him to make a few msitskes and get used to the level so we can see if he is ready to come in and start next season

Fracture90

Game changer yesterday, him coming on completely changed the game in our favour, props to Ole and his staff for making the change.

Think he should be starting ahead of Young tbh, he offers much more than him and he offers quite a bit when he's playing as a wingback in a 3-5-2 formation.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He is not a natural winger, he can play there but he is a fullback who always played on youth tournaments as right fullback.

He played a few games as left fullback on Porto first team because they had Telles injured and its normal he played more than one role at youth level for his club.

But Euro under 17 2016, Euro 2019 2016, Under 20 WC 2017, Youth League he always played as fullback.

Ciddy

Probably not a popular opinion here but:

I reckon we should get another RB and let this kid become our RW.
I think we’re going to him him play there more and more this season. He can beat a player (with seemingly ease) and delivers probably the best cross in our squad. I’ve seen this more than a few times now. More game time will only help him understand the game more too.

The fact that he can play anywhere down the right and we know he can cover on the left will see home become a very valuable asset. We’ve been crying out for a right sided player for so long and I’d be more than happy to see him hold that higher role for now and see how he does.

Marcelinho87

I think we’re going to him him play there more and more this season. He can beat a player (with seemingly ease) and delivers probably the best cross in our squad. I’ve seen this more than a few times now. More game time will only help him understand the game more too.

The fact that he can play anywhere down the right and we know he can cover on the left will see home become a very valuable asset. We’ve been crying out for a right sided player for so long and I’d be more than happy to see him hold that higher role for now and see how he does.
Yeah exactly.

I am sure I read that he modelled his game around CR7? Seems built for a RW role if you ask me but he is going to be a gem wherever he ends up.

I really dig this lad a lot. People need to remember he only played 8(!) games for Porto's first team last season. He still has tons to learn. But the fact that he's already played 12 games / 778 mins for our first team is remarkable.

laughtersassassin

Start him Right back versus arsenal imo. Young is in dire form and costing us goals in a loit of games. Positionally awful and nearly gave away a few penaltys. We can't be playing young next season and playing his this season could be to our detriment. best to blood in Dalot now like we did with lindelof.

Rather see Dalot make mistakes while learning than Young make the same mistakes week in week out.

yfoFC

Clear he has the technical qualities to be a top class right back offensively (unlike the pudding playing at left back). He's poor defensively but that's something that will get better with age and isn't that important for top sides when you're dominating the vast majority of teams you play.
Really? Shaw's technical skills don't seem that bad to me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why are we putting him at RB? He seems to be a natural winger.
A top modern right back should do. He’s no Sancho or Dembele, and that’s the kind of skill-set I imagine we’ll be going after if we want a RW.

I want him to be RB. That he has this quality on the ball is a massive plus.

dutchred

Clear he has the technical qualities to be a top class right back offensively (unlike the pudding playing at left back). He's poor defensively but that's something that will get better with age and isn't that important for top sides when you're dominating the vast majority of teams you play.
Ridiculous comment on Shaw. Obviously didn't see the Palace game

Silas

I'd rather him become our right-sided version of Marcelo. Tired of makeshift options on that wing.

Last edited:

Canagel

No he's only a temporary solution at RW. His future is attacking RB with a bit of coaching on defensive positioning. The last thing we need is to go another summer without buying a RW. What happens when Dalot is not there? Who will provide the width?

billybee99

Why are we putting him at RB? He seems to be a natural winger.
Because he's a RB. Because we need a RB. We've spent the last 5 years with 2 wingers playing RB and now that we have a real RB, we want to convert him into a RW. Shite like this is the reason we're struggling for top 4 every year. Let's stop playing people out of position. Put him at RB for the rest of the season and put Young on the bench. People talk about Dalot's defensive liabilities but Young is hardly better; Young was absolutely torched by Zaha the other day.

Marcelinho87

No he's only a temporary solution at RW. His future is attacking RB with a bit of coaching on defensive positioning. The last thing we need is to go another summer without buying a RW. What happens when Dalot is not there? Who will provide the width?
I get that but by all accounts he modelled his game on top RW's

To me he looks more like a winger than a fullback.

surf

We don't need a right winger but rather a modern all-round forward who plays on the right, and scores and creates plenty of goals. Don't think Dalot is that player. Better for him to be a wing back or full back - the best ones can create havoc, like Marcelo.

Aloysius's Back 3

We don't need a right winger but rather a modern all-round forward who plays on the right, and scores and creates plenty of goals. Don't think Dalot is that player. Better for him to be a wing back or full back - the best ones can create havoc, like Marcelo.
I'm with you - I find this so called need for a RW is overstated.

A traditional RW that is a creator has become a thing of the past or a thing that is used at clubs lower in the league. Wingers now are much more forwards with the ability to create chances themselves over creating chances for others.

We need a left footed forward on the right to bring a balance to player's like martial, Rashford & Lingard - all forwards and none of them who are creators even when put out to play wide.

I think a player like dalot has the ability to play as a traditional wide creative crossing winger for us when a striker like Lukaku in particular needs that type of passes coming towards him.

Injuries or not - it's arguable that Ole has even used a RW all that much - when it seems that what we tend to do is play with 2 strikers with a shielding false nine in between.

This is why that I expect Ole to give a chance to Greenwood before breaking the bank for any player that can play in the RF - because he is ultimately a left footed striker who has the ability to create chances himself.

Rashford & Martial are of the same breed of attacking forwards.

What I do see us improving on is who our creator is going to be - this includes our potential false nine to upgrade/ compete with Lingard whilst we also need more creators in midfield because its only Pogba that adequately provides attacking passes to our strikers.

I don't see us going for a RW when we have Greenwood, Lukaku, Rashford all having the capability of playing as a RF. We need a RW if we stick to a formation that needs it but then Rashford is made to play as a lone striker whilst having martial as a LW that is there to create for him and likewise a RW that creates for Rashford. Play with 2 strikers and a false nine and everyone and every role is nearly fitting our squad perfectly.

When we need a RW we can put a player like dalot there to provide standard traditional crosses.

yo@Kirk

Dalot has trained since childhood to be a modern right back. He needs to play in his natural position so he can get acclimated to the EPL. He'll make mistakes just as Young makes mistakes. But Dalot will learn from his mistakes and get better every match because he's a young man with a great desire to be the best modern right back in football imo.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Dalot has trained since birth to be a modern right back. He needs to play in his natural position so he can get acclimated to the EPL. He'll make mistakes just as Young makes mistakes. But Dalot will learn from his mistakes and get better every match because he's a young man with a great desire to be the best modern right back in football imo.
Fixed. :nono:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is very good with his dribbling, crossing and general play in build up. Also for Periera's goal, his touch was very good.

We have very good talented player, can't wait for him to start regularly as RB.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't get this need to turn every attacking fullback into a winger.
Look at how much Marcelo and Dani Alves have given their teams in the past. He can be that for us. He's a RB, let him mature there.

haram

I dont know if they showed it on TV but there was a moment after we had scored the first goal where he slammed the ball into the ground in a show of passion after we had won a throw in. Felt like he was determined to make things happen and push the side forward. Loved it :devil:.

Varun

Staff
Look at how much Marcelo and Dani Alves have given their teams in the past. He can be that for us. He's a RB, let him mature there.
Yup, it's really weird.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We've complained about having wingers as full backs and now we want full backs as wingers. The last 5 years have fried us :(

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Great urgency and energy he brought in. He was one of the game changers and I hope to see him more often now, especially as Young is a bit shit

In Rainbows

I have no idea man.

You would think that if you had a RB who people thought could be a RW, he should play at RB so that we could have a top 3 attacking fullback. It's like they think we shouldn't have exceptional talents in certain positions because they're too good for the position or something. It's really strange.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I remember arguing with a few on here who didn’t rate Dalot’s chances of getting first team action this year, albeit under Jose.

Not only has he overtaken the likes of Valencia already, but I think he is going to overtake Young soon too, he looks a great talent.

It’s always nice to have versatile players like him in the squad. Dalot for example can fill in at RB, RW and LB.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I remember arguing with a few on here who didn’t rate Dalot’s chances of getting first team action this year, albeit under Jose.

Not only has he overtaken the likes of Valencia already, but I think he is going to overtake Young soon too, he looks a great talent.

It’s always nice to have versatile players like him in the squad. Dalot for example can fill in at RB, RW and LB.
I remember arguing with someone who said we should stick him in the reserves. Bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.