Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
A team is only as strong as its weakest link. This was Dalot's big day in the office.

Oranges038

He's so bad.

I've always said both him and AWB need to go.

Nothing will change my mind on that.

Moiraine

Where was he for Liverpool’s first goal?
I think he is the reason everything went wrong in the match, we were quite decent til the first goal.

RedDevilQuebecois

Total dumpster fire of right-back. Has nobody seen how awful he has been since his return? Has nobody seen how he was being eaten alive by Saint-Maximin in the first half at Wembley just last week? There is just nothing telling me that he can recapture his early season form any time soon.

mu4c_20le

His ability to play the offside line is as infuriating as AWB. I get it, he's an attacking fullback, I know he'll never defend like Cafu but for the love of god, play the offside trap.

Liverpool had a total of 0 offsides today.

SAFMUTD

He has massively regressed. He was good the first half of the season but after the world cup he's been nothing short of a mess.

Defensively he's fragile and offensively he's not doing enough.

ti vu

Where was he for Liverpool’s first goal?
I think he is the reason everything went wrong in the match, we were quite decent til the first goal.
I am in the camp where I think Dalot was never better than a decent player and RB should be high on upgrade priority list, but blaming the whole game on him is just wrong.

Dalot created one of our best chance in first half (for Bruno header).

The way we play, the issue with playing Weghorst which hindered the whole team, we're well expected to be punished. It would require some more luck to go in the half time without conceding. Still Liverpool would be expected to come out raring for more, while ETH's stubborn with the same mistake.

About 22th minute, Liverpool could have scored. Martinez brilliantly prevented Nunez from having a sitter. Liverpool took a beating of our midfield. They failed to create clear chance, but they're not short of half chances before the first goal.

NZT-One

His ability to play the offside line is as infuriating as AWB. I get it, he's an attacking fullback, I know he'll never defend like Cafu but for the love of god, play the offside trap.

Liverpool had a total of 0 offsides today.
Not much is indicating that he's an attacking fullback... His technique is decent, but is output is way too low.

The United

The first goal was very weird. Antony should have helped him more on that though. I am not sure what they were doing so high up leaving the Liverpool player alone on that side.

hobbers

Since the world cup he's been a fraction of the player he was in the first part of the season, and a fraction of average is exactly that.

We know Dalot and AWB are not the answers long term but AWB first choice for the rest of the season, end of story.

mu4c_20le

Not much is indicating that he's an attacking fullback... His technique is decent, but is output is way too low.
In the first half, when we attacked he would tuck inside like a RW/AM and carry the ball. I think ETH really likes a full back that tucks inside and acts like an additional midfielder.

city-puma

People here should stop singling out individuals as scapegoats. It’s the whole team. They need to learn together and work together to get to the next level.

ti vu

The first goal was very weird. Antony should have helped him more on that though. I am not sure what they were doing so high up leaving the Liverpool player alone on that side.
Liverpool built from the back, with Alison even went out of his box to make play. Antony was in the advance pressing position like Rashford and Bruno where they position in half space to press if Liverpool passing between their CBs and their deeper midfielders. Dalot took initiative to track Robertson. Whether Dalot was wrong by not being close enough to Robertson is up to debate.

Our midfield marked man for man during Liverpool build up for the first goal. Casimero followed Elliot, Fred tracked Henderson and picked up Gakpo when he dropped into this big space our midfield in front of the backline. Weghorst tracked Fabinho.

Liverpool did very well using Alison as extra man for the build up. Our players, our pressing tactic got found out, flat footed. Alisson under no pressure, played that passed to Robertson. Gakpo had time to move wide unmarked, while Robertson dribbled infield forced Fred to stop following Gakpo and station centrally instead.

IMO Klopp outsmarted ETH tactically, not only here but the whole game. Liverpool was able to find way to bypass out pressing. Not only this instance, but many time throughout the first half, let alone the slaughter in second half. Weghorst not a real midfielder, and lack of pace means that we happen to leave big space in midfield, especially when our other midfielders got their hand busy. Weghorst didn't have the instinct of a midfielder to know when to stop man marking and go to cover space in midfielder. He was easily got pulled out of the chess board by Fabinho movement, when we would have benefited from some help to let Fred stay with Gakpo. It's a systematic error leading to the first goal, which a based on personnel issue (Weghorst midfield role).

PaulRich

probably the biggest tactical feck up by ETH was RB - I think Wan Bissaka earned the right to start this one given his performance last week. He certainly wouldn't have been any worse.

Marwood

I said earlier in the season let's see what he's like when that early season pump wears off.

He was massively motivated before the world cup. Really up for it. That has visibly dissappeared as can be expected.

So now we're left with his actual level.

Good squad player. Can play both sides.

Not a starter for a title winning team. Unless the rest of the team is incredible.

NZT-One

In the first half, when we attacked he would tuck inside like a RW/AM and carry the ball. I think ETH really likes a full back that tucks inside and acts like an additional midfielder.
Not sure if I understand correctly, but I don't think, this is a case of "Dalot plays because ETH likes his style" but rather "Dalot plays that style because ETH wants him to". It isn't a completely new trend anymore to make use of Fullbacks to support the midfield. And no question about Dalot being more suited to that than AWB is.

But all that doesn't make Dalot "attacking". A fullback that overlaps stays a fullback, doesn't act as RW. A fullback that tucks in becomes maybe a temporary midfielder, but I don't see the what indicates him becoming an attacking midfielder.

Dalot is the epitome of meh-ness. His performance usually are ok to alright, light and shadow. Sometimes he is bad, but that doesn't happen too often. On occasion he can be good, but I can't remember one game where he was better that that. He is inconsistent a lot, which is fine as he is young. But young or not, he hasn't shown any sort of potential to justify the trust he receives from some fans. I know, I maybe am a little over-critical of him but I really try to be fair. There just isn't anything to work with... That being said, I am pretty sure that playing AWB instead of him yesterday wouldn't have prevented the trashing. It may have looked a little different.

kaku06

Never rated him. Never understood the hype he got from fans. He was decent. He’s never the solution and getting a RB is a priority. Ben white is a better RB than him and he isn’t even a right back. So is TAA for all his flaws defensively, less said about Walker and James the better. These are the teams we have to compete against next season for top spots and he’s no where good enough. We need to get rid of De gea and him to overhaul the defence once and for all.

MTF

Never rated him. Never understood the hype he got from fans. He was decent. He’s never the solution and getting a RB is a priority. Ben white is a better RB than him and he isn’t even a right back. So is TAA for all his flaws defensively, less said about Walker and James the better. These are the teams we have to compete against next season for top spots and he’s no where good enough. We need to get rid of De gea and him to overhaul the defence once and for all.
With what money?

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I said earlier in the season let's see what he's like when that early season pump wears off.

He was massively motivated before the world cup. Really up for it. That has visibly dissappeared as can be expected.

So now we're left with his actual level.

Good squad player. Can play both sides.

Not a starter for a title winning team. Unless the rest of the team is incredible.
Maybe the Portuguese coach undid all the good decent coaches have been doing across Europe.

mav_9me

I have a hard time judging him for yesterday given how little support he got from Antony and the midfield.

The United

Liverpool built from the back, with Alison even went out of his box to make play. Antony was in the advance pressing position like Rashford and Bruno where they position in half space to press if Liverpool passing between their CBs and their deeper midfielders. Dalot took initiative to track Robertson. Whether Dalot was wrong by not being close enough to Robertson is up to debate.

Our midfield marked man for man during Liverpool build up for the first goal. Casimero followed Elliot, Fred tracked Henderson and picked up Gakpo when he dropped into this big space our midfield in front of the backline. Weghorst tracked Fabinho.

Liverpool did very well using Alison as extra man for the build up. Our players, our pressing tactic got found out, flat footed. Alisson under no pressure, played that passed to Robertson. Gakpo had time to move wide unmarked, while Robertson dribbled infield forced Fred to stop following Gakpo and station centrally instead.

IMO Klopp outsmarted ETH tactically, not only here but the whole game. Liverpool was able to find way to bypass out pressing. Not only this instance, but many time throughout the first half, let alone the slaughter in second half. Weghorst not a real midfielder, and lack of pace means that we happen to leave big space in midfield, especially when our other midfielders got their hand busy. Weghorst didn't have the instinct of a midfielder to know when to stop man marking and go to cover space in midfielder. He was easily got pulled out of the chess board by Fabinho movement, when we would have benefited from some help to let Fred stay with Gakpo. It's a systematic error leading to the first goal, which a based on personnel issue (Weghorst midfield role).
That man-marking thing may work in some games, but I'm not convinced it's the best strategy against every 'big' team for now. It explained why he liked to stick Wout where he didn't belong and shift Burno to wide so he wouldn't have to manmark someone and create at the same time, which would be too much to ask of a player. Not to mentioned we had no pace in the wide areas (Bruno and Antony) which is insane as that's how you have to play against teams like pool and city away.

The United

Missed the first half. Why did he get subbed? Being shit?
I was not sure what he was doing exactly most of the time. At some point, he was in the box almost all the way to the left side, close to Shaw. You wonder if they counterattack who the hell would be covering the place down right.

Long Time Red

Missed the first half. Why did he get subbed? Being shit?
Really poor.

4 poor performances in a row, Newcastle, West Ham, Liverpool and Betis.

Wan-Bissaka came on and completely shut down their left side again, don't think Betis had a shot second half and we completely dominated the half.

Wan-Bissaka even offered more going forwards as well.

acnumber9

He had no business playing the match after the weekend. The only thing he has over Wan Bissaka is confidence. Misplaced though it is.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wan Bissaka has definitely earned that place over him for now.

I like that they have a very healthy competition though. Both are good. Neither are elite but both are young enough. So it's a very healthy level between the 2.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Could it be the injuries are the reason for the drop off, because at start of the season he was flying.

hobbers

Said it after Liverpool and again today.

Since coming back from the world cup he has been absolutely dire.

Before the WC he looked a shoe in to at least keep a place in the squad, and AWB to move on, and he's totally blown it.

Olecurls99

Needs to get that early season form back but Bissaka has to start going forward

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He started energetically and his short passing game was reasonably good but he fades in influence so quickly.
AWB came on , was direct and took the game to the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.