Diogo Dalot | Done Deal | Speaks better English than Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Man Utd sign established player between the ages of 27 and 30

Caf: Feck sake, why are we signing 50 year olds and not building for the future instead!

Man Utd sign talented youngster

Caf: Feck sake, what a joke, kid has barely played any games and I've never seen him paly so what can he possibly do for us
Pretty much

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Caf: Feck sake, why are we signing 50 year olds and not building for the future instead!

Caf: Feck sake, what a joke, kid has barely played any games and I've never seen him paly so what can he possibly do for us
So true.

We need an rvn

Like many I can't get at all excited about the kid as haven't seen or heard of him before, specially as he's only played 7 matches for Porto. Needs way more than that to justify a £17m price tag for an unproven RB.

Valencia is arguably the worst RB out of the top 4 teams in our league and he wouldn't get in Bayern / Real / PSG squad. When you see City splash out 50m on possibly the best RB in the league, well this is what we should ideally be doing too.

However, I have a lot more trust in Jose's judgement than mine as we have no idea what our other transfer plans are. Happy to see how this pans out.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Basically people want players aged between 24-27

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Like many I can't get at all excited about the kid as haven't seen or heard of him before, specially as he's only played 7 matches for Porto. Needs way more than that to justify a £17m price tag for an unproven RB.

Valencia is arguably the worst RB out of the top 4 teams in our league and he wouldn't get in Bayern / Real / PSG squad. When you see City splash out 50m on possibly the best RB in the league, well this is what we should ideally be doing too.

However, I have a lot more trust in Jose's judgement than mine as we have no idea what our other transfer plans are. Happy to see how this pans out.
£17m sounds like an absolute steal in this market when you consider how highly he seems to be rated by the Portuguese media and posters on here. He's been labelled as one of the top 11 youngsters in world football for christ sake!

For context, Martial had played something like 20 games for Monaco when we splashed out £36m+ on him, and that was before the market became inflated.

Cassidy

We have bigger problems at LB

vodrake

But then they'll complain that we're signing established players for too much when we should be signing them for cheaper before anyone has heard of them. And the cycle continues

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites

Don't you just love this place.

NinjaFletch

Is it August 9th?
You're ignoring the context of the discussion, which was a poster arguing that it would be fine if Dalot was our only signing.

If he's not then fine, but if he is then it's a really important position we haven't adequately strengthened and a ridiculous amount of pressure placed on Dalot to be the finished article from the moment he gets here.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Sounds like a good signing. Sound being an odd choice of wording as I don't know how to pronounce his name, but I count that as a positive.

Zlatattack

I'm pleased we're getting a young player, but if he's not capable of uprooting Valencia, I'd much rather an established player, like Sidibe. Hopefully he's good enough to take Valencias place from him this season. I have a lot of respect for Valencia, but last season was not his best in a united shirt from an attacking perspective. He was reliable defensively though.

red4ever 79

I'm pleased we're getting a young player, but if he's not capable of uprooting Valencia, I'd much rather an established player, like Sidibe. Hopefully he's good enough to take Valencias place from him this season. I have a lot of respect for Valencia, but last season was not his best in a united shirt from an attacking perspective. He was reliable defensively though.
Exactly what we should have done last year, instead we signed Lindelof. Mourinho should only be targeting upgrades on the starting XI,. Squad is already bloated with average players

Cassidy

You're ignoring the context of the discussion, which was a poster arguing that it would be fine if Dalot was our only signing.

If he's not then fine, but if he is then it's a really important position we haven't adequately strengthened and a ridiculous amount of pressure placed on Dalot to be the finished article from the moment he gets here.
This is not true, since Valencia would be the first choice

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Looks and feels like Darmian
Yes.

One was a 25yr old international when we signed and the other is a 19yr old youngster we are signing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Yup, this.

Bestietom

Well he has played in this position since he was a very young boy. Playing at all levels for his country, so at least we will be getting someone who knows the position well. He just needs the experience of playing in the Premier League and Europe now.

Bestie07

But then they'll complain that we're signing established players for too much when we should be signing them for cheaper before anyone has heard of them. And the cycle continues
Our transfers in the last few years have been underwhelming, in fact the last transfer that can be called an unqualified success is De Gea. There will continue to be question marks raised irrespective of who we sign until more of our transfers start to fall into place.

Saf94

And the last 3 25-27 year olds we signed?

Mikhitaryan, Schneiderlin and Darmian...

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We are signing a very young player, now all We have to do is to sign a very old player to bring balance to this forum. Yin and Yang, soft moaning and strong moaning. Shitposters will flood the forum with complaints that most of us would have to take a break from the internet, only then will We be at peace.

lysglimt

Scout
No people want a balanced squad - in terms of age. I don't want 11 players who are 25 years old - nor do I want 8 players who are 30 - or the same amount who is 18. What concerns me with Mourinhos team (which I hope he Changes this summer) - is that we at present don't have a single player born after 1993 who is close to being a regular. Some people here make fun of others who are concerned about the age-factor - but this was something that was important to Ferguson. He wanted old players for their experience - and he wanted young players for their fearless and hungry attitude.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

My comment goes to both of you then. We actually need to wait and see with Dalot because it seems he is just as comfortable at LB. People are also forgettung TFM in the mix.

Coxy

Hate to dampen the mood in here, but this signing is so Bebe. Barely a few youtube clips, played only a few games, young unknown linked to Man Utd out of nowhere.

I'm skeptical, and hoping to be proven very wrong.
Couldn’t disagree more. It’s about time we signed players like this again - not just the big names

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Different people have different opinions. I am over the moon with this signing[/QUOTE]

El-Manos

Not going to lie, never heard of him before yesterday but judging by Porto fans, we have a quality youngster on our hands.

Zlatattack

Valencia being the first choice is the problem. If after this signing he's still first choice, then it's still a problem. I hope this young man goes on to do great things for us, but Valencia provided 1 assist last season. Young provided 5.

MJJ

Its almost like we have a large number of united fans here with different views on who to sign, weird.

NinjaFletch

Are you reading the posts you're replying to anymore?

Valencia being left as first choice is precisely the problem because it is, or should be, blatantly clear to anyone who has watched United this season that he's absolutely nowhere near the required standard any more, particularly going forward.

Which, as I said before you engaged in an exercise in making me rewrite the same post four times, does not bode well for our ability to compete with rivals who don't have glaring issues in the same position.

I really can't believe anyone has watched a season where Man City have got 100 points, seen the contribution from Walker – and not to mention that we're so far back that they managed to get away with a similar player at LB being injured all season who will come in and give them the same on the otherwise next season – and thought 'ah yeah, we're getting something comparable from Valencia'.

There's such an obvious gulf in quality between our options at full back and our rivals that I'm staggered that any one can be so blasé about us not upgrading, and simultaneously expect us to compete next season as well.

Which is to say nothing about Dalot as a signing, his potential, or his potential success as a United player, it's just absolutely staggeringly unfair on a kid who is 19 years old and played 8 senior games, to drop him in to a position where we clearly need improvement ASAP and expect him to single handily fix it. And besides, the same kids that are salivating over signing him now are some of the prime culprits for writing off young players within a few months because they're not the finished article; hyping up the Dalot signing as some sort of immediate fix to the RB problem, or not addressing the problem there and forcing him to become a fix, just increases the likelihood we'll see our fanbase turn on him before the end of the season.

My comment goes to both of you then. We actually need to wait and see with Dalot because it seems he is just as comfortable at LB. People are also forgettung TFM in the mix.
And fine, it's not about Dalot, but we can't be considered to be in a good position for next season if a 19 year old kid who's barely played senior football is the only attempt to sort out that RB posistion.

Cassidy

Valencia being the first choice is the problem. If after this signing he's still first choice, then it's still a problem. I hope this young man goes on to do great things for us, but Valencia provided 1 assist last season. Young provided 5.
I wonder which out of the two was caught out of position or made the most defensive errors which cost us goals, I also wonder which one scored the most, I also wonder which one actually played with an attacker in front of them down the flank for most games....

BarstoolProphet

The ratio between a poster saying stuff like that and others parodying such statements are fast getting to about 1 in 1000 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.