Diogo Dalot | Done Deal | Speaks better English than Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihai

"If Embalo is going to Manchester is something that I don’t know at all, but it’s true that we have already met with Benfica and Manchester United, there is no agreement, but there are conversations." according to his agent.
Ohh, great, thank you for the reply.

Kapardin

It would seem that Jose cannot win. He’s being seen as targeting ‘past it’ 29 year olds or shot in the dark teenagers.
My own personal concern with this one, is that it is very likely that Valencia will remain as first choice RB and we all know that attacks die on the right side once the ball reaches his feet.
Its' not as simple as that.

Jose does buy young defenders. But he hardly ever buys youthful players for attacking positions like the wings. He will never buy a Sane or Sterling or Martial and go for 29-32 year olds in the key attacking positions. Exception is Lukaku who had experience prior to joining United.

Atleast, he should buy wingers in the 25-28 bracket. Sufficiently experienced and young enough to give us a few years.

vodrake

When speaking about the excitement of caf posters, what else would you use?
The caf's overall knowledge of football players outside of current flavour of the months is generally pretty terrible and shouldn't really be used as a benchmark of "if the caf doesn't know him he can't be that good"

gr3yham3

Again there is just a bucket load of assumptions here. Like us buying Dalot must mean he was bought because he's highly rated and the same logic from our scouts never applied to previous talents that flopped.

There are lots of players who shine through the ranks but fail on the final jump up, like Adan Januzaj for example. You have people sharing Dalot is a potential world class talent and it just doesn't add up for a player with 7 senior apps.

It doesn't matter what spin you put on it, whether it's "we have good scouts now" or "our manager is Portuguese", it doesn't change the fact that it is a big gamble. It may well be a gamble that pays off (Liverpool and Robertson) but I just don't think it's a gamble we can afford to take.
Why not? I think we can take the gamble. There is no guarantee that Sidibe will come in and be successful as well, given that he is from a different league and all. For me, it is either getting Sidibe OR Dalot, and I would prefer to take the 2nd option so that we can focus on immediately improving more pressing areas in our side.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Can’t wait to line up first game next season with Valencia and young as fullbacks again :drool:

NYAS

No. But in what does this mean that this guy has shown potential?
I don’t understand your question.

When speaking about the excitement of caf posters, what else would you use?
You’re mixing things up here. We’re talking about his potential now, not Caf poster’s excitement. I never said that everyone has to be excited, in fact it’s completely understandable that most posters aren’t excited because they don’t know much about the kid. I said that the reason why some, including myself, are excited is that he’s extremely talented and it has nothing to do with dethroning Valencia this coming season, but more to do with the future. That reasoning should also be easy to understand for those who aren’t excited about him.

And then we started talking about his potential. I said that his potential isn’t measured by how much the Caf knew about him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why not? I think we can take the gamble. There is no guarantee that Sidibe will come in and be successful as well, given that he is from a different league and all. For me, it is either getting Sidibe OR Dalot, and I would prefer to take the 2nd option so that we can focus on immediately improving more pressing areas in our side.
It's a gamble we can't afford to take because we will sell Darmien and rely on a 33 year old going into next season. We need established quality in the full back role and Dalot is not that.

I'm certain the caf would have thought different. Sidibe vs Dalot and 99% would have voted the former because no one knew the latter. All of a sudden Dalot is the one we should have always gone for and our scouts are genius. I don't buy it. He may well be a top player but he isn't a top player yet.

AR87

Again there is just a bucket load of assumptions here. Like us buying Dalot must mean he was bought because he's highly rated and the same logic from our scouts never applied to previous talents that flopped.
He's been highly rated by other clubs prior to this as well.

Both La Liga powerhouses Barcelona and Real Madrid were keen on the idea of signing the youngster, who responded to their interest in him in 2017.

"I do not want to be think about it but being watched by Real Madrid and Barcelona is a pride and gives me motivation," Dalot told Diario Record. "[Training with the Porto first-team] made me grow because that's the top and is where I want to be."
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/what-diogo-dalot-said-real-12618888

Giuntoli likes him a lot, he's one of the profiles Napoli have been following from quite some time. Juventus are also interested though, amid many big European teams' interest with the concurrence getting bigger every day. They're all after Diogo Dalot, Portuguese right wingback from Porto and considered as one of the most interesting prospects, one of the best in the last U20 World Cup played in Corea.

Napoli have already started contacts with the player's agent but Porto didn't want to deal. In the coming days new scenarii could get started though: the 1999-born player's agent, Carlos Gonçalves from Pro Eleven, will be in Italy next week to meet the interested clubs. Napoli are in the first place since Giuntoli wants him at all costs. Juventus still pay attention to him too though. Dalot, whose contract will end in 2019, has a €20m release clause. An important price for a player that, reported by a lot of people, could become one of the best in his role.
https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/nap...om-porto-his-agent-will-be-in-italy-next-week

Concerns over whether or not he can or will be able to step in for Valencia immediately are fair, but this isn't some kid who we're plucking from obscurity. He's been a highly rated talent for awhile, whether or not me, you and the rest of the Caf was aware.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Its' not as simple as that.

Jose does buy young defenders. But he hardly ever buys youthful players for attacking positions like the wings. He will never buy a Sane or Sterling or Martial and go for 29-32 year olds in the key attacking positions. Exception is Lukaku who had experience prior to joining United.

Atleast, he should buy wingers in the 25-28 bracket. Sufficiently experienced and young enough to give us a few years.

is that strictly true? he purchased, Robben, SWP, Salah, Di Maria, Quaresma, Schurrle as wingers for decent amounts when they were all u23

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're saying he's world class because there aren't many other young full backs who are as good?

But to play your game, Semundo, Kimmich, Pereira, Trent Alexander Arnold are all examples of world class potential (some are arguably already world class). All of whom are in pretty much the same generation, i.e only 3ish years between them and Dalot.

Is dalot as good? Maybe. But are we jumping the gun by throwing him into that list from 7 apps? Definately.

Kapardin

is that strictly true? he purchased, Robben, SWP, Salah, Di Maria, Quaresma, Schurrle as wingers for decent amounts when they were all u23
Of course, not always true. We are talking about now. Jose feels pressure to deliver the title and has been criticized despite finishing 2nd. Hence his desperation to get in proven warriors.

MJJ

You’re mixing things up here. We’re talking about his potential now, not Caf poster’s excitement. I never said that everyone has to be excited, in fact it’s completely understandable that most posters aren’t excited because they don’t know much about the kid. I said that the reason why some, including myself, are excited is that he’s extremely talented and it has nothing to do with dethroning Valencia this coming season, but more to do with the future. That reasoning should also be easy to understand for those who aren’t excited about him.

And then we started talking about his potential. I said that his potential isn’t measured by how much the Caf knew about him.
Erm no, I was talking about the caf's posters excitement. Its funny, the people who arent excited are fine not being excited but the people who are excited are moaning about others not being excited.

Stretch

I'm not excited about this transfer, I can't be as I know nowt of the player...but who knows, maybe that's a good thing

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's been highly rated by other clubs prior to this as well.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/what-diogo-dalot-said-real-12618888

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/nap...om-porto-his-agent-will-be-in-italy-next-week

Concerns over whether or not he can or will be able to step in for Valencia immediately are fair, but this isn't some kid who we're plucking from obscurity. He's been a highly rated talent for awhile, whether or not me, you and the rest of the Caf was aware.
Big clubs watch such a massive pool of talent. Not every player scouted by a big club ends up being great. In fact hardly any of them do.

NYAS

You're saying he's world class because there aren't many other young full backs who are as good?

But to play your game, Semundo, Kimmich, Pereira, Trent Alexander Arnold are all examples of world class potential (some are arguably already world class). All of whom are in pretty much the same generation, i.e only 3ish years between them and Dalot
Are you really comparing a 19 year-old with a bunch of 24 year-olds?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Of course, not always true. We are talking about now. Jose feels pressure to deliver the title and has been criticized despite finishing 2nd. Hence his desperation to get in proven warriors.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from now

NYAS

Erm no, I was talking about the caf's posters excitement. Its funny, the people who arent excited are fine not being excited but the people who are excited are moaning about others not being excited.
No actually, I suggest you go back and read my first post again. It’s the complete opposite.

Brophs

The One and Only
This would be a pretty interesting signing - assuming he's going to play RB - as it's pretty clear that Valencia needs, at the very least, someone to come in and play quite a few games to lighten his load. This guy has been a first team player for a matter of months and, like every young player, is probably going to have dips in form here and there, even if he manages to settle and prove himself to be of a standard to be in the first team.

From the outside it doesn't look like our options at RB, in the short term, will be any better than they were this season, when it was widely acknowledged that we probably needed to improve in that area. Maybe we'll bring back TFM to rotate across a few positions and allow Dalot to ease his way into the side over time, but as things stand, I think we may still have a few issues at right back, which I find a bit surprising, as Mourinho will be under a bit more pressure this season.

gr3yham3

It's a gamble we can't afford to take because we will sell Darmien and rely on a 33 year old going into next season. We need established quality in the full back role and Dalot is not that.

I'm certain the caf would have thought different. Sidibe vs Dalot and 99% would have voted the former because no one knew the latter. All of a sudden Dalot is the one we should have always gone for and our scouts are genius. I don't buy it. He may well be a top player but he isn't a top player yet.
I am sure that Jose and his team have done their homework on this and have come to a conclusion that Dalot will better suit the team and will even likely to be a better player than Sidibe is at the moment. Of course if you were to ask that question to the Caf before the news came out, most of us, myself included, would have picked Sidibe. But taking a step back and looking at the transfer now, I think we have to trust the decision that Jose and his team have made with regards to Dalot's present level and the potential that he has to maybe become a world-class right back. Porto sold Pereira cause they thought they had Dalot as a more than capable replacement for him at RB - that's quite a statement of trust in his abilities for me as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are you really comparing a 19 year-old with a bunch of 24 year-olds?
You didn't really expect anyone to bother with comparing a 19 year old to other 19 year olds did you?

No one is in a position to say a 19 year old is potential world class when he's barely played. If you want to compare his level with actual potential world class talented, you move up a few years. All my examples are below 25.

Semundo was 21 and part of the Benfica side winning back to back titles. TAA is a regular for Liverpool and he's 20. Joshua Kimmich was a regular for Leipzig at 20 before moving to Bayern and being a permanent starter there at just 22.

These are potential world class talent because they've made shit loads of appearances and proved they can hack it. Throwing Dalot into that mix is jumping the gun and unfair on him too. He's a guy who did well in 7 apps and now has to face some sort of crazy expectations from sections of our fans.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You didn't really expect anyone to bother with comparing a 19 year old to other 19 year olds did you?

No one is in a position to say a 19 year old is potential world class when he's barely played. If you want to compare his level with actual potential world class talented, you move up a few years. All my examples are below 25.

Semundo was 21 and part of the Benfica side winning back to back titles. TAA is a regular for Liverpool and he's 20. Joshua Kimmich was a regular for Leipzig at 20 before moving to Bayern and being a permanent starter there at just 22.

These are potential world class talent because they've made shit loads of appearances and proved they can hack it. Throwing Dalot into that mix is jumping the gun and unfair on him too. He's a guy who did well in 7 apps and now has to face some sort of crazy expectations from sections of our fans.
Please, it's Semedo.:)

gr3yham3

I don't think there are crazy expectations. We all hope that he will come good, and I am sure that Jose will ease him into the first team RB role as the season goes by. Did we place crazy expectations on Rafael when he joined us?

Bestietom

I would assume that this player has been watched many times by our scout. I am sure that Mourinho has checked him out also, which is why we want to sign him up quickly before some of the big clubs come hunting. The clause comes into force today 1st June.

Trizy

But to play your game, Semundo, Kimmich, Pereira, Trent Alexander Arnold are all examples of world class potential (some are arguably already world class). All of whom are in pretty much the same generation, i.e only 3ish years between them and Dalot.

Is dalot as good? Maybe. But are we jumping the gun by throwing him into that list from 7 apps? Definately.
Trent Alexander Arnold is world class or has world class potential? I know there is a lack of top quality full backs but my god he's far from world class potential.

MJJ

No actually, I suggest you go back and read my first post again. It’s the complete opposite.
You sound extremely upset about this transfer for some weird reason. I get it if you think we need an established RB instead of Valencia and we might still get that, but you keep going on about how he only played 7 games and got “pushed out”, as if he was literally born the day before his debut and never played any youth football at international tournaments and never showcased his potential there.

People are excited because the kid has world-class potential, nothing more, nothing less, I don’t see what’s so difficult to understand. The excitement is to do with his potential and talent and not to do with his readiness or lack thereof to be a starting RB for us.
So this isnt you judging RS for not being excited about the transfer?

NYAS

You seem to think one or two years in football is nothing. And yes, I was expecting a comparison with players of similar ages. There’s a reason I said “potential” and obviously didn’t say he was world-class now. Each age-group has certain talents that stand out, you can’t just divide footballers into u-25 and over 25.

Dalot would have been a starter next season for Porto if he was staying and everyone knows that. A title-winning Porto I might add, while Sporting and Benfica look in limbo. It isn’t a stretch to say that Porto look favourites to be title-winners again next season, in which case, surprise, the kid is 20 and is well on his way to having an extremely similar career trajectory to your Semedo example. This is what I mean when I say a year or two in football does make a difference.

Also, I don’t have crazy expectations for him next season, nor the season after, but at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised if he nails down a starting place by the start of the season after next.

AR87

Who is expecting something crazy from the start? I have seen few people suggesting he's going to come in and do the business immediately. He's a young talent who seems highly rated by many outside observers and whom Porto felt comfortable enough about to sell Pereira to Leicester. In a year or two it's expected he take over from Valencia instead of deputizing for him. I don't think those are crazy expectations.

NYAS

So this isnt you judging RS for not being excited about the transfer?
Did you read the post I was replying to?

I've been on the Caf long enough to know that those that talk common sense often receive flak.

It's not comparable to the Ronaldo transfer either given he had almost a full season at Porto before getting his transfer here. With Dalot he was brought in as an emergency to fill in for Texes and was quickly pushed out of the squad when he returned from injury. But i'll stay quiet about that and just chant Transfer over and over again.
Doesn’t look like it’s me who’s doing the judging for being excited.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Please, it's Semedo.:)
:lol: sorry. I accepted the wrong spelling on touchwiz too so I'm worried it will just autocorrect from here on to the wrong spelling.

Trent Alexander Arnold is world class or has world class potential? I know there is a lack of top quality full backs but my god he's far from world class potential.
Trent Alexander Arnold has been extremely good for Liverpool this season.

You seem to think one or two years in football is nothing. And yes, I was expecting a comparison with players of similar ages. There’s a reason I said “potential” and obviously didn’t say he was world-class now. Each age-group has certain talents that stand out, you can’t just divide footballers into u-25 and over 25.

Dalot would have been a starter next season for Porto if he was staying and everyone knows that. A title-winning Porto I might add, while Sporting and Benfica look in limbo. It isn’t a stretch to say that Porto look favourites to be title-winners again next season, in which case, surprise, the kid is 20 and is well on his way to having an extremely similar career trajectory to your Semedo example. This is what I mean when I say a year or two in football does make a difference.

Also, I don’t have crazy expectations for him next season, nor the season after, but at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised if he nails down a starting place by the start of the season after next.
But for those at 23, I've shown what these players were doing 2 to 3 seasons ago to show how their consistency warranted them the title. E.g Kimmich at 20 made like 50 apps for RB Leipzig before standing out at Bayern.

1 or 2 years is nothing though. You compare potential world class talents across age brackets rather than the exact age.

If a player is "potentially world class" it implies expectations would be big for them when they join a big club. If there isn't much expectation maybe they aren't potentially that level, or they haven't shown consistently enough to suggest the hype (I think the latter is the case here).

gr3yham3

Our last "established RB" purchase was Darmian, and he did not work out that well too. He was a regular for Torino, was highly-regarded in Italy and was Italy's first choice RB for a while. Those were different times back them, and I am sure Jose and his team have had a long, hard look at our RB options over the past year or more. He may be labelled as a "boring" manager, but his defensive purchases are usually astute and he is not so dumb as to not realise he cannot count on Valencia much longer.

MJJ

Did you read the post I was replying to?

Doesn’t look like it’s me who’s doing the judging for being excited.
This is getting stupid so its going to be my last post on the matter but he literally said he will stay quiet and fake enthusiasm rather than telling people how to react which is what you are doing.

Njord

Looking at the market, I think getting a young player is the right approach, considering we need to spend elsewhere. World class RBs like Kimmich and Carvajal seem unattainable, PL RBs outside the top 6, like Coleman or Cedric seem too expensive compared to their quality, and taking a punt on a 25 year old who's not yet at an absolute top club, like Florenzi, may result in a new Evra, but is just as likely to turn into the next Darmian.

At least with a young player, he can adapt to the league, the club and his team mates, before he's expected to deliver world-class performances on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Castia

I don't claim to be in the know or anything but a friend of a friend works at a medical clinic in Manchester where various players take medicals/scans etc, he said almost 2 weeks ago that United sent Dalot and there was a slight issue with his knee. Nothing to stop the deal or anything major but that's what i was told.

I cant verify 100% because he's not a personal friend but i know hes pretty legit having seeing pictures of him with a few different footballers and runners.

NYAS

:lol: sorry. I accepted the wrong spelling on touchwiz too so I'm worried it will just autocorrect from here on to the wrong spelling.

Trent Alexander Arnold has been extremely good for Liverpool this season.

But for those at 23, I've shown what these players were doing 2 to 3 seasons ago to show how their consistency warranted them the title. E.g Kimmich at 20 made like 50 apps for RB Leipzig before standing out at Bayern.

1 or 2 years is nothing though. You compare potential world class talents across age brackets rather than the exact age.

If a player is "potentially world class" it implies expectations would be big for them when they join a big club. If there isn't much expectation maybe they aren't potentially that level, or they haven't shown consistently enough to suggest the hype (I think the latter is the case here).
Or maybe I expect him to be world class a couple of years down the line?

This is getting stupid so its going to be my last post on the matter but he literally said he will stay quiet and fake enthusiasm rather than telling people how to react which is what you are doing.
I never told people how to react. I said he seemed extremely upset about it. I didn’t tell him to be excited. I actually said in a post after that it was understandable that people weren’t excited, because they didn’t know much about Dalot. That’s quite different to being opposed to a transfer and implying that the kid isn’t talented enough. Have a good day though.

gr3yham3

I don't claim to be in the know or anything but a friend of a friend works at a medical clinic in Manchester where various players take medicals/scans etc, he said almost 2 weeks ago that United sent Dalot and there was a slight issue with his knee. Nothing to stop the deal or anything major but that's what i was told.

I cant verify 100% because he's not a personal friend but i know hes pretty legit having seeing pictures of him with a few different footballers and runners.
IF true, this is not unexpected as he had a meniscus injury at the end of last season.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/manchester-uniteds-new-signing-recover-knee-injury-england/

Status
Not open for further replies.