Diogo Dalot | Done Deal | Speaks better English than Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Memphis? etc etc

The flip coin to those being excited about signing an inexperienced young player is that it means we're likely not to get an experienced RB in to challenge Valencia. That to me is far more concerning and you could argue actually a bad use of our resources.

If however we still do sign an experienced RB to challenge Valencia... happy days.
I'd maybe be inclined to agree with this line of thinking if we were making the correct acquisitions elsewhere and genuinely looked capable of challenging next season. I think our problems are more deep-seated than simply addressing the full-backs and everything being fine though.

I also don't think there are many RBs out there who would make a significant difference to the way we play. The alternatives are players like Sidibe, Vrsaljko and Hysaj, all of whom probably need to make the step up themselves to be considered among the top tier of full-backs. I agree that Valencia has started regressing but he is still for the most part very competent defensively, I think it's far more important that we sign a right winger and get that signing correct.

Womp

idiot
Uninspiring to say the least. Will be another Buttner, Bebe type of player
There are fans who have regularly watched him claiming he is probably the most talented RB of his generation, yet red4ever said he's uninspiring so we should all just give up

wolvored

I'm not sure he will be ready to start at 20 yo. If we do sign this guy, I can only guess that my scenario is what Mourinho has in mind. If we're getting a ready made RB to replace Valencia now, then there's no point in buying another one who is 19. I wouldn't want Valencia starting for the next 2-3 years either but it's a realistic picture.
No way will Valencia be No1 in 2 seasons time, let alone 3.

RedStarUnited

90% of United deals sagas, the other 10% like this one are mini sagas.

I thought this was a straightforward transfer..

Jim Reaper

uninspiring? apart from he has a bigger reputation, higher profile, more potential and is quite widely known throughout scouting networks and viewers of portugese/youth football. People moan about Mourinho and youth and then moan when he looks likely to sign a young player with potential.

Valencia will play next season, it makes sense to bring someone young in who can learn the ropes and hopefully take over from Valencia and nail the position down for years rather than sign a more expensive player who will need replacing sooner

Reactions: Invictus

SpyLuke10

I'm hoping he can take over as right back, hopefully by the season after next. If we go in to the 2019-20 season with him as first choice right back that would be great.

yo@Kirk

Valencia's contract has only one year left. I don't think Mourinho sees Dalot as a 2 year project. He'll play plenty this year so he's ready to be the regular 1st team RB next year, imo.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Valencia's contract has only one year left. I don't think Mourinho sees Dalot as a 2 year project. He'll play plenty this year so he's ready to be the regular 1st team RB next year, imo.
Fecking hope so, can't take much more of those cutbacks with crosses into the first defenders shins anymore.

Kidders

Why is this 'Done Deal' not done ? It seems like everyone is taking it for granted that it's in the bag, but as usual we seem to make every transfer a drama.

Saf94

So straightforward transfers are supposed to be concluded in days?
We’ve had transfers like that, also look how quickly Liverpool signed Fabinho.

I think it’s ok for transfers to take a while it’s just that when this story broke it was as if it was basically a done deal, even BBC reported it. And like a week later almost and nothing since...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Why is this 'Done Deal' not done ? It seems like everyone is taking it for granted that it's in the bag, but as usual we seem to make every transfer a drama.
We dont. Posts like this turn it into a drama. It's a formality, treat it like one.

podurban2

There are fans who have regularly watched him claiming he is probably the most talented RB of his generation, yet red4ever said he's uninspiring so we should all just give up
Nevermind the amounts we have spent on restructuring our scout system and the quality of the personnel running it.

Smores

Uninspiring to say the least. Will be another Buttner, Bebe type of player
The lads had top clubs after him, nothing like those you've listed. Even then there's nothing wrong with such transfers we did them every year some work some don't

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So it's June 1st today and the clause is active from today if I'm not wrong.
If that's the case, why aren't we just activating the clause and finalizing the transfer?
Or are we trying to pay it in installments rather than the whole amount upfront?
Or are we negotiating for some of their other players like Telles?
I always wonder when I see posts like this what you expect to see in response. Do you actually think people on here know the answers to these questions?

Cliche Guevara

I feel sorry for the club in situations like this. They’d clearly prefer to keep their business quiet until such times as a deal is done.

There are so many leaks it’s hard to know what’s true. You can’t really blame them, however, for the length of time it takes to conclude a deal - I don’t think - when it’s the media who are saying a deal is done as opposed to the club.

It’s certainly frustrating, I’m definitely the impatient nervous type, but I’d find it far more aggravating if United was telling our fans it’s almost over the line only to piss about and string us along.

I think it’s worth also saying we’re not bad at concluding most of our business reasonably early. It just seems that if one of our rivals signs a player early, people lose their shit and the narrative continues that everyone else has signed a million players but we’re incapable of concluding a transfer. This is obviously not the case.

Biji.Kelot

While Liverpool signed Fabinho, Keita, and currently being linked with Fekir, our beloved Manchester United keep wasting money signing the potential-called young players.

There are good players out there to be chased, specially to strengthen the midfield. Our youngsters can fill the back up for defenders. Even if it is only for 20 millions, still, it is should be allocated for other position.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
After all the puns I'm reluctant to let this slide.. :lol:
Talking of sliding, is the sort of defender that slides into dalot of tackles. Could he pick up dalot of cards?

But what we really want to know is why is this signing taking such dalot of time

AndyJ1985

Literally every signing we ever make goes quiet for days until we finally wrap it up. And literally every time people panic when it does go quiet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I think it’s ok for transfers to take a while it’s just that when this story broke it was as if it was basically a done deal, even BBC reported it. And like a week later almost and nothing since...
Wow that's like an eternity.

And how long did it take for Liverpool to sign Fabinho? You do know the first you heard of the signing isnt when it began, right?

Nick7

Three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.