Diogo Dalot | Done Deal | Speaks better English than Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero

Not to be a downer, but people were saying similar things when we signed Mr Shaw.
Some thought our defence was sorted for the next decade with Rafael - Smalling - Jones - Fabio

Stacks

Here you go. Hope you don't mind @broccoli for using your post

Now, you never know how people, especially that young will settle in a top club, but he is apparently best Portuguese prospect since Ruben Neves. I expect for him to get a decent amount of minutes (he will play all cup games) and if he gets it right he might get more chances in the league in the second half of the season. But, most likely we will start seeing him more regularly next season.
Personally, love this type of signing. Don't even care that he can't make an instant impact because if we got it right we have a RB position sorted for the next 10+ years.
He gathered all of that from 12 1st team games huh??? from Rashfords 1st 12 matches Broccoli must've thought he was going to be the best forward since RVN. That's an absurd expectation from someone who has barely broken into a first team. Best since Irwin, Evra comparisons, the guy has barely kicked a ball. What about Nevs?

Hans Moleman

He gathered all of that from 12 1st team games huh??? from Rashfords 1st 12 matches Broccoli must've thought he was going to be the best forward since RVN. That's an absurd expectation from someone who has barely broken into a first team. Best since Irwin, Evra comparisons, the guy has barely kicked a ball. What about Nevs?
He played about 20 times for Porto B in the 2nd division last season, and has appeared over 50 times for every Portugal youth age group from u15s all the way up to u21s, including playing well at the u17 Euros and u20 World Cup. There's no need to be so dismissive.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Here you go. Hope you don't mind @broccoli for using your post

Now, you never know how people, especially that young will settle in a top club, but he is apparently best Portuguese prospect since Ruben Neves. I expect for him to get a decent amount of minutes (he will play all cup games) and if he gets it right he might get more chances in the league in the second half of the season. But, most likely we will start seeing him more regularly next season.
Personally, love this type of signing. Don't even care that he can't make an instant impact because if we got it right we have a RB position sorted for the next 10+ years.
Nobody can predict how he's going to do against a higher level of competition, he's barely played for Porto.

He's been highly rated for a long time and he's probably the biggest prospect in portuguese football but I really don't expect him to play much and I think this is a very stupid move for his career. Ricardo Pereira left so in my opinion Dalot should have stayed at Porto, grabbed the starting spot and develop for a couple of years before leaving.

I like him as a player and his atittude is great, he was incredible for Portugal in a few youth tournaments but he's taking a big and unnecessary risk so I'm hoping he made sure what his place in the squad will be. Otherwise it's definitely possible that he won't play much.

Cheers guys + @broccoli for the insight

Interesting thoughts Peyroteo!

Sparky Rhiwabon

At 19 years old, do we think he'll be a back up / rotation option to Valencia? Would be unusual for Mourinho to put a player that young straight into the first choice XI right?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Do you know how many 1st team games Ronaldo played before he joined us?

I didn't need more than few first games of Modric and Kovacic when I first saw them to know they are exceptional talents. Whether Dalot will realise that potential is an entirely different matter. It is not about expectations also, it is about the talent he has at this point in time (there wouldn't be so much interest from other big clubs otherwise). We just need to be patient.

Stacks

Do you know how many 1st team games Ronaldo played before he joined us?

I didn't need more than few first games of Modric and Kovacic when I first saw them to know they are exceptional talents. Whether Dalot will realise that potential is an entirely different matter. It is not about expectations also, it is about the talent he has at this point in time (there wouldn't be so much interest from other big clubs otherwise). We just need to be patient.
Ronaldo had a full season under his belt. I also have doubts over your modric and kovacic claims as hindsight is a wonderful thing. If you could spot a players exceptional talent in a few games, I ask that you become chief scout at Man Utd.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This guy will sew up either LB or RB for the next 12 years. I’ve read good things about him, I’m excited about this one!
You shaw about that?

Since were all making shit puns here... hehe

FerociousCorgis

I wonder if perhaps if he wants Dalot to become a RW with us that maybe he sees TFM as an ivanovic type RB in the future for us? Would be interesting of mou and feel like he might like that. A RW who is defensively aware in dalot, with TFM behind him who is defensively strong as well. Just thinking about a reason why that might be even the slightest rumor.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Shaw would probably be what was predicted if it wasn't for a freak injury. Shaw was actually wanted by Mourinho when he was at Southampton, but sometimes players get unlucky and an injury stops their progress.
Not denying any of that, I guess my point was simply that making such statements is a tad unfounded, as a lot can change in football.

Very rare is it for us to sign a player who provides us with 10+ years service.

I'm excited about this transfer as the next man, but I think we have to be realistic and manage our expectations.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Ronaldo had a full season under his belt. I also have doubts over your modric and kovacic claims as hindsight is a wonderful thing. If you could spot a players exceptional talent in a few games, I ask that you become chief scout at Man Utd.
I am from Croatia, watched Modric and Kovacic since they were 16 (Modric even before since he is from my hometown), so when they had first few senior appearances and looked impressive you really didn't have to be a genius to say they were great talents.
Wouldn't make such claims for players I didn't watch in other countries and for youth levels.

Edit: as for Ronaldo, he had only 25 appearances. That's still very small number before joining a club like United.

Last edited:

Trophy Room

Know absolutely nothing about this lad. Good cross on him in his youtube compilation, physically matured for a 19 year old. Interesting signing.

El-Manos

Dalot
Fred
SMS
Alderweireld/Lenglet
Douglas Costa
A. Sandro
Mandzukic

Out
Blind
Jones
Fellaini
Carrick(retirement)
Darmian

Would be a great summer.... we’re obviously not signing 7 players though :lol:

MrSingh2002

I love this get it done early shit from Jose. Doesn't waste too much time bargain hunting or waiting to see how the market pans out.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?!

MrSingh2002

Dalot
Fred
Lenglet
A. Sandro
Mandzukic

Out
Blind
Jones
Fellaini
Carrick(retirement)
Darmian

Would be a great summer.... we’re obviously not signing 7 players though :lol:
That's probably more likely unless Pogba and Martial leave as we would then go for players such as SMS and D Costa. Until then I think we'll go for a CB and LB aswell as a backup striker. See how it pans out.

GeorgieBoy

Sorry if this has been asked before but why has he not played more than 8 competitive games for Porto?

El-Manos

That's probably more likely unless Pogba and Martial leave as we would then go for players such as SMS and D Costa. Until then I think we'll go for a CB and LB aswell as a backup striker. See how it pans out.
My guess as well. Wasn’t expecting us to go for another striker but it makes sense considering how we struggled without Lukaku. I’m guessing Alderweireld, LB and probably somebody like Mandzukic to come in and that will be it. We really need a natural RW though in my opinion.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Not denying any of that, I guess my point was simply that making such statements is a tad unfounded, as a lot can change in football.

Very rare is it for us to sign a player who provides us with 10+ years service.

I'm excited about this transfer as the next man, but I think we have to be realistic and manage our expectations.
I agree. I'm prepared for him to become the best right back in the world and leave in his mid twenties to Madrid.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Any Portugal league watchers care to give a detailed summary of his playing style, attributes and qualities etc..
Fast, strong, quite tall, can play with both feet which means he can play on both sides and he's very good technically. He's a good crosser and has an habit of scoring more goals than your average fullback. He's pretty complete and he clearly stood out on all of those things playing in youth tournaments. He did well when playing for Porto too but obviously we'll have to see how it translates to a much higher level of competition.

For the price mentioned it's 100% a great signing and worst case scenario you'll still be able to get that money back. My doubts are wether he'll be able to ever fulfill his potential of becoming one of the best fullbacks in the world. In my opinion he's made the wrong move for that to happen.

Dinghy

Actually got a good feeling about this signing, based on absolutely nothing at all.

He'll probably start out well, look better than Valencia and everyone will be all excited, then he'll make one defensive mistake and Valencia will be back playing every week for the rest of the season.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't Real pay 45 million for a 16 year old who had not played a single game for the senior team?
I know that's not a yardstick to measure transfers by, but 17 mill is not a huge amount for youngsters right now.
The Embolo kid from Benfica we tried to sign, they wanted 16 million for him and he was 16 years old then.The youngest goal scorer in Serie A, Pellegrini? who was 16,was sold for 25 million or something.
There are many other examples

The thing is, one good season and good value becomes 40-50 million easy. So it's better to buy them just as before their value explodes
You’ve just described 3-4 players who have since disappeared so where is the value?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm looking forward to this guy. I hope he looks pretty solid from the off. Would be great for us and him.

Irrational.

At least he's signing with a fellow Portuguese speaker in Fred and playing for a Portuguese manager. It'll make the transition much easier for him and allow him to settle quickly. :drool:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Peyroteo @broccoli You already said everything about Dalot, already mentioned here he is the best prospect born in 99, ahead of João Félix, Leão for example.

But I have the same feeling as Peyroteo, he should have stayed 1 more year at least with Porto to replace Ricardo Pereira.

Clearly there are some posters who still think he was scouted for the so called 8 games for Porto first team, he wasn't.

https://footballtalentscout.net/2016/09/04/diogo-dalot/

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/01/0...alot-juventus-napoli-scout-portuguese-starlet

https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/06/0...an-united-barcelona-chelsea-at-u20-world-cup/

If he will develop well or not I don't know, but better take a risk like this for someone who clearly has been scouted for what he can be not what he is now.

Last time I will say anything about this, why am I supporting a kid who played for Porto I don't know :lol:

But I keep the same opinion, he is better than Cancelo or Semedo with the same age, reason why Mourinho went for him, now if he will deliver in the future the same performances like Paulo Ferreira in the past for Porto or Chelsea 2/3 first seasons nobody here knows, reason why there are scouts around the world.

End of Dalot discussion for me, lets see now if he has the mentality to be a top player or if he will be only a prospect.

Frank Grimes

@Peyroteo @broccoli You already said everything about Dalot, already mentioned here he is the best prospect born in 99, ahead of João Félix, Leão for example.

But I have the same feeling as Peyroteo, he should have stayed 1 more year at least with Porto to replace Ricardo Pereira.

Clearly there are some posters who still think he was scouted for the so called 8 games for Porto first team, he wasn't.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/01/0...alot-juventus-napoli-scout-portuguese-starlet

https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/06/0...an-united-barcelona-chelsea-at-u20-world-cup/

If he will develop well or not I don't know, but better take a risk like this for someone who clearly has been scouted for what he can be not what he is now.

Last time I will say anything about this, why am I supporting a kid who played for Porto I don't know :lol:

But I keep the same opinion, he is better than Cancelo or Semedo with the same age, reason why Mourinho went for him, now if he will deliver in the future the same performances like Paulo Ferreira in the past for Porto or Chelsea 2/3 first seasons nobody here knows, reason why there are scouts around the world.

End of Dalot discussion for me, lets see now if he has the mentality to be a top player or if he will be only a prospect.
Nice post. We have bought potential but he certainly seems to have a good chance of making it, could be a very astute signing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Is he better than Semedo going forward ?

Status
Not open for further replies.