Diogo Dalot | Done Deal | Speaks better English than Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Diogo's got dalot of lifting to do if he wants to bench Valenica.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I don't know anything about this guy. Any Porto fans/Portuguese league experts that can give any details about him?

I hope he's not a Shaw 2.0

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't know anything about this guy. Any Porto fans/Portuguese league experts that can give any details about him?

I hope he's not a Shaw 2.0
No, he gets over the half way line and can cross.

So that's 2 things he does that Shaw can't...oh he can play off either foot too

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
No, he gets over the half way line and can cross.

So that's 2 things he does that Shaw can't...oh he can play off either foot too
Wow, Valencia should be concerned, he's already got one up on him. Thanks. I'm away to do my international scouting technique of watching youtube compilations.

204Red

I'v seen his name quickly a couple of times and have mistaken it for Gal Gadot... I'd rather United signed her.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Can the Portugese league followers give us an indication as to the likelihood of him playing a reasonable amount of senior games for us? I can still see Valencia playing virtually every match given the level of experience Dalot has..

Inigo Montoya

Can the Portugese league followers give us an indication as to the likelihood of him playing a reasonable amount of senior games for us? I can still see Valencia playing virtually every match given the level of experience Dalot has..
He's 19. It's not rocket science to assume he'll play his way gradually into the side. Valencia will start but we can be sure it won't always be 90mins, alternatively Dalot won't play the full 90 and have Valencia come on.

I just hope JM is patient with him

Bwuk

Just got to hope the lad takes his chance when he gets it.

Shark

@NotShark
I can remember when we signed Luke Shaw around the same age with the vision that he'd be a starter for us. Does this guy have that kind of potential? it seems kind of odd that we'd go for someone who will take 2-3 seasons to replace a player that's turning 33 soon and not someone a bit older and experienced. I hope there won't be too much pressure on the guy, cause Valencia could fall off a cliff at any moment now and he's already shown signs.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's 19. It's not rocket science to assume he'll play his way gradually into the side. Valencia will start but we can be sure it won't always be 90mins, alternatively Dalot won't play the full 90 and have Valencia come on.

I just hope JM is patient with him
Seems bizzare to have 36 pages on a 19 year old defender who has 7 senior apps.

I'm fine with giving him patience and easing him to the side. I doubt many posters on the caf will have the same patience.

Inigo Montoya

I can remember when we signed Luke Shaw around the same age with the vision that he'd be a starter for us. Does this guy have that kind of potential? it seems kind of odd that we'd go for someone who will take 2-3 seasons to replace a player that's turning 33 soon and not someone a bit older and experienced. I hope there won't be too much pressure on the guy, cause Valencia could fall off a cliff at any moment now and he's already shown signs.
I don't think that's going to happen. We have Bailly who can play RB and also Young who's quite happy off both flanks.

Assuming TFM will be back a the club;he has also played RB

Inigo Montoya

I'm fine with giving him patience and easing him to the side. I doubt many posters on the caf will have the same patience.
Given the patience the Caf has shown Shaw, I believe they'll give him time.

Ban

I'm sure you'll be patient with him so that's a start.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Given the patience the Caf has shown Shaw, I believe they'll give him time.
In fairness to him, Shaw had two solid seasons for Southampton of established Premier League competency followed by a terrific (albeit short) run of form before a leg break.

He must be some prospect if we're paying 17 million for a young kid with half a dozen appearances. Let's hope he's a gamble that pays off, then we're sorted at right back for years to come.

Sanche7

He must be some prospect if we're paying 17 million for a young kid with half a dozen appearances. Let's hope he's a gamble that pays off, then we're sorted at right back for years to come.
Didn't Real pay 45 million for a 16 year old who had not played a single game for the senior team?
I know that's not a yardstick to measure transfers by, but 17 mill is not a huge amount for youngsters right now.
The Embolo kid from Benfica we tried to sign, they wanted 16 million for him and he was 16 years old then.The youngest goal scorer in Serie A, Pellegrini? who was 16,was sold for 25 million or something.
There are many other examples

The thing is, one good season and good value becomes 40-50 million easy. So it's better to buy them just as before their value explodes

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Here you go. Hope you don't mind @broccoli for using your post
I don't want to raise your expectations too much but I believe he will take the rb spot within the first couple months. In terms of football ability he will be your best full back since Irwin and I can compare him to Evra in terms of composure and reading of the game.

Of course it all means nothing if he doesn't settle in but from what I've seen he's a cold fecker on and off the pitch and never shown signs of nervousness.
Now, you never know how people, especially that young will settle in a top club, but he is apparently best Portuguese prospect since Ruben Neves. I expect for him to get a decent amount of minutes (he will play all cup games) and if he gets it right he might get more chances in the league in the second half of the season. But, most likely we will start seeing him more regularly next season.
Personally, love this type of signing. Don't even care that he can't make an instant impact because if we got it right we have a RB position sorted for the next 10+ years.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Nobody can predict how he's going to do against a higher level of competition, he's barely played for Porto.

He's been highly rated for a long time and he's probably the biggest prospect in portuguese football but I really don't expect him to play much and I think this is a very stupid move for his career. Ricardo Pereira left so in my opinion Dalot should have stayed at Porto, grabbed the starting spot and develop for a couple of years before leaving.

I like him as a player and his atittude is great, he was incredible for Portugal in a few youth tournaments but he's taking a big and unnecessary risk so I'm hoping he made sure what his place in the squad will be. Otherwise it's definitely possible that he won't play much.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This guy will sew up either LB or RB for the next 12 years. I’ve read good things about him, I’m excited about this one!

IrishRedDevil

Nobody can predict how he's going to do against a higher level of competition, he's barely played for Porto.

He's been highly rated for a long time and he's probably the biggest prospect in portuguese football but I really don't expect him to play much and I think this is a very stupid move for his career. Ricardo Pereira left so in my opinion Dalot should have stayed at Porto, grabbed the starting spot and develop for a couple of years before leaving.

I like him as a player and his atittude is great, he was incredible for Portugal in a few youth tournaments but he's taking a big and unnecessary risk so I'm hoping he made sure what his place in the squad will be. Otherwise it's definitely possible that he won't play much.
Valencia is on a downward spiral and needs rested before big games etc, so Dalot has the potential to play say 20/25 games next season. After next season, if he takes his chances, he could be the starting RB for Manchester United. I’m sure that’s plenty of incentive.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Considering he has Valencia who is pretty much on the decline, he will certainly get chances even this season. Being Mourinho signing and seeing how much chances Lindelof got when he looked out of depth at this level pretty much confirms it.

The only question imo is how will he handle this massive step.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Valencia is on a downward spiral and needs rested before big games etc, so Dalot has the potential to play say 20/25 games next season. After next season, if he takes his chances, he could be the starting RB for Manchester United. I’m sure that’s plenty of incentive.
It's possible but it's a giant leap. He might be able to take it and I'm rooting for him but this is a kid with barely any experience at the top level so if people are expecting him to take Valencia's place they should adjust their expectations.

He has the potential to become one of the best rightbacks in the world in a few years though, I have no doubt about that but I just feel he didn't make the best decision in leaving Porto.

IrishRedDevil

It's possible but it's a giant leap. He might be able to take it and I'm rooting for him but this is a kid with barely any experience at the top level so if people are expecting him to take Valencia's place they should adjust their expectations.

He has the potential to become one of the best rightbacks in the world in a few years though, I have no doubt about that but I just feel he didn't make the best decision in leaving Porto.
I see your point, but Valencia has been disappointing last season and even beyond and a lot of fans want him replaced by literally any player that is able to cross the ball, so Dalot might not have as hard as task as some might think. It’ll be a challenge of course due to his age, but fingers crossed.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
This guy will sew up either LB or RB for the next 12 years. I’ve read good things about him, I’m excited about this one!
Not to be a downer, but people were saying similar things when we signed Mr Shaw.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Not to be a downer, but people were saying similar things when we signed Mr Shaw.
Shaw would probably be what was predicted if it wasn't for a freak injury. Shaw was actually wanted by Mourinho when he was at Southampton, but sometimes players get unlucky and an injury stops their progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.