Disgrace...

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
As far as I can recall I have never called anyone a spastic on here, or in real life for that matter.

I have admitedly called myself a spazz on many occasions...

DA2

Hello all!! How have you been?....... Missed me? ;)

(RE - HECTIC 525)
Actually that particular post you are referring to was do with highlighting the differences between insults and discrimination (eg racism) - in that an insult isnt necassarily racist by default just because of its direction.
Pardon me if im wrong but i havent anywhere implied that people are discriminating against diadvantaged people just using terminlogy that is offensive towards them - do you see the diifference?

Funnily enough ceratin people have said that my comparitive with racist terminology isnt applicable since these words always had an "oppressive undermeaning" to them or something like that!?! That curiously enough isnt true, the word "Nigger" has its origins in a word used to descrivbe - 'people originating or deriving from the area surrounding the river Niger - W Africa'. This phrase was in fact commonly used purely as a descriptive term but many people including many English speaking Africans to describe their kinfolk. When you hear African-Americans saying that they are "taking the word Nigger back" as a way of justifying their own use - this is what they are referring to.

Aagin the word "Paki" doesnt have malicious or oppresive origins!?!? It was a generic, shortened, descriptive phrase used by Anglo-Saxons to identify people of Asian origin. Funnily enough the furour came from Indian people and not Pakistanis - Indian people have always deep down viewed themselves as not only socially superior but in fact inherently superior to people from Pakistan. This obviously has strong links to the caste sytem. They strongly resented being put in the same boat so to speak as their supposed inferior Pakistani cousins!!!! As evidence of this trait - the word is still used today particularly by Indian youth as a way of insulting someone from Pakistan.

I say again my thread is basically about double standards, in that someone may use an insulting phrase and be labelled racist whereas someone could use an insulting phrase and it be labelled "friendly banter" when in reality there is no difference between the two - do you see what i mean?? Im not trying to change "peoples ideas" or be "overly PC" - far from it - just asking for a level playing field - which is actually the very antithesis of PC behaviour.

An excellent example is Tiger Woods - he quite recently mad a comment that he played like a "spazza" live on TV - because of the mutated nature of American English in the US this is accfeptable terminology. But in the UK there was actually an outcry against what he said by various groups as being offensive and he went onto make an apology to those groups in the UK.

Remeber all im asking for is a level playing field - nothing more - if you feel that is unreasonable then we will have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
One of the judges on Australian Idol has caused a minor fuss by calling someone a "full Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime".

He is a bit of a sp.........

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I have to say, it has been flavour of the month for several months now. I was wondering about that the other day, no one used to call anyone "spastic". It appears to be the only resort of most on here these days.

It was a lot funnier when each person had their own label. Haha, does anyone remember "ladyboy" getting into a strop? I can't even remember who "ladyboy" was, everyone seems to be called just spastic these days.

Boring :boring:

robthered

DA2, like a few others have said your argument is well intentioned but you bring it down by using ridiculous examples. The kind of racism that you seem to endeavour to equate to the use of the word spastic as an insult are ridiculous.
DA2 said:
So let me see..... according to your logic any terminology no matter how offensive should be permitted as long as its not directed literally. Which leads me back to my first point - that presumably its fine to have threads like "Hang, draw and quarter all ethnics" - just as long as no ethnics are viewing the thread at the time?!?!

Out of sight, out of mind eh........
If someone started a thread such as "What are spastics for? We should kill them at birth." then this would equate to your exagerated examples. No one has made any derrogatory remarks about the disabled, hence the use and context of the word has changed because it is applied to behaviour. I understand your point that this could cause offence to disabled persons but the fact is that you have appointed yourself mouthpiece for all of them and however well meant your argument is it has been lost in your lack of reasoning to support it.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
DA2 said:
Hello all!! How have you been?....... Missed me? ;)

(RE - HECTIC 525)
Actually that particular post you are referring to was do with highlighting the differences between insults and discrimination (eg racism) - in that an insult isnt necassarily racist by default just because of its direction.
Pardon me if im wrong but i havent anywhere implied that people are discriminating against diadvantaged people just using terminlogy that is offensive towards them - do you see the diifference?

Funnily enough ceratin people have said that my comparitive with racist terminology isnt applicable since these words always had an "oppressive undermeaning" to them or something like that!?! That curiously enough isnt true, the word "Nigger" has its origins in a word used to descrivbe - 'people originating or deriving from the area surrounding the river Niger - W Africa'. This phrase was in fact commonly used purely as a descriptive term but many people including many English speaking Africans to describe their kinfolk. When you hear African-Americans saying that they are "taking the word Nigger back" as a way of justifying their own use - this is what they are referring to.

Aagin the word "Paki" doesnt have malicious or oppresive origins!?!? It was a generic, shortened, descriptive phrase used by Anglo-Saxons to identify people of Asian origin. Funnily enough the furour came from Indian people and not Pakistanis - Indian people have always deep down viewed themselves as not only socially superior but in fact inherently superior to people from Pakistan. This obviously has strong links to the caste sytem. They strongly resented being put in the same boat so to speak as their supposed inferior Pakistani cousins!!!! As evidence of this trait - the word is still used today particularly by Indian youth as a way of insulting someone from Pakistan.

I say again my thread is basically about double standards, in that someone may use an insulting phrase and be labelled racist whereas someone could use an insulting phrase and it be labelled "friendly banter" when in reality there is no difference between the two - do you see what i mean?? Im not trying to change "peoples ideas" or be "overly PC" - far from it - just asking for a level playing field - which is actually the very antithesis of PC behaviour.

An excellent example is Tiger Woods - he quite recently mad a comment that he played like a "spazza" live on TV - because of the mutated nature of American English in the US this is accfeptable terminology. But in the UK there was actually an outcry against what he said by various groups as being offensive and he went onto make an apology to those groups in the UK.

Remeber all im asking for is a level playing field - nothing more - if you feel that is unreasonable then we will have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
You ask for a level playing field but it cant be level as the meanings of the words themselves have different levels. For example if say I called someone a Nigger or Paki in any thread, there is no other context I can use it in other then its racist form. However, if I respond to a post and call the poster a spastic or retard, there are different contexts and the poster will understand that too. You can't banter about with the word Nigger or Paki, but you can with retard, cnut, spastic, bitch, twat, whore knob etc. Im sorry I see where your coming from but its not going to happen, if the word 'spastic' is going to be a banned word then so would gay/bitch/cnut/retard etc as all words could cause offence. The problem is I don't think anyone else has taken real offence to these words as they havent been taken it there most insulting form. I guess we agree to disagree as well then.

Also your examples are ridiculous mate, you said one about genicide on non-whites or something to that effect and your point was if people are using this and that and it doesn't get banned then why cant I say 'genicide for all ethnic minorities'. Now that is ridiculous because noone said 'Kill and burn all the spastics', if someone did say that then fair play thats just disgusting, but to reply to a thread and say 'Shut it Diarra you spastic' cannot be seen the same as 'Murder all asians' now can it?

jim

In most joy
Who cares about words getting lost in translation. If a Brit calls an American a fag, they should realise it's not a big deal. For feck's sake, people get so deep and meaningful over words that just aren't.

TheRedFlag

Not feeling himself tonight
marcosdeto said:
So are you.

we are all spastics arn't we? nobody is perfect apart from Michael Jackson who has 100% perfection in his body and face outline (saw it on a documentery last night about plastic surgery)

Thats plastic, not spastic.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
TheRedFlag said:
So are you.

we are all spastics arn't we? nobody is perfect apart from Michael Jackson who has 100% perfection in his body and face outline (saw it on a documentery last night about plastic surgery)

Thats plastic, not spastic.
one time that i agree with you and you attack me, you are obviously jealous of my good looks, charm, wit and wealth.

you are a spastic

oooooops

TheRedFlag

marcosdeto said:
one time that i agree with you and you attack me, you are obviously jealous of my good looks, charm, wit and wealth.

you are a spastic

oooooops
dont call me a spastic, you spastic

TheRedFlag

marcosdeto said:
no,

YOU are a spastic

spastic

sorry DA2, no offence intended
No, You're the spastic, you're from a third world country, they're all spastics in third world countries.

Sorry DA2, no offence intended, spastic.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
TheRedFlag said:
No, You're the spastic, you're from a third world country, they're all spastics in third world countries.

Sorry DA2, no offence intended, spastic.
not everyone from a third world country is a spastic

errrrmmmm

ok, maybe you are right ....

well ... but there are some spastics in first world countries, you are a living proof

spastic...

again, sorry DA2.

TheRedFlag

marcosdeto said:
not everyone from a third world country is a spastic

errrrmmmm

ok, maybe you are right ....

well ... but there are some spastics in first world countries, you are a living proof

spastic...

again, sorry DA2.
I'm no more a spastic than you are, Spastic.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I find the use of the term "cocksucker" offensive and stupid. You don;t want to give girls the wrong idea (i.e. cocksucker=bad). In fact, we should begin using it as a term of praise, reserved for the best humanity has to offer.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Dr. Dwayne said:
I find the use of the term "cocksucker" offensive and stupid. You don;t want to give girls the wrong idea (i.e. cocksucker=bad). In fact, we should begin using it as a term of praise, reserved for the best humanity has to offer.
mate you are a genious ;)

Bearded but no genius

Dr. Dwayne said:
Good idea.

I salute you, cocksucker.

ralphie88

golden_blunder said:
We are not here 24/7, its not our full time jobs and we cannot please everyone.
Well a start would be for the Mods to stop calling people 'spastics'. That wouldn't be too tough would it? :rolleyes:

Bearded but no genius

ralphie88 said:
Well a start would be for the Mods to stop calling people 'spastics'. That wouldn't be too tough would it? :rolleyes:
They'd have to delete half of their posts.

Which would be spastic, mongified, and possibly racist.

DA2

Well i have to say this debate has genuinely been most envigorating - just seen that we have racked up 199 posts for this thread - an admin forum record i believe (and my secret reason for starting it! ;) ) - anyone fancy the honour of the 200th?!