Disrespecting the class of 92

RedDevil@84

Ha jesus chill the f**k out, don't bother me where people are from if they make the effort to go to games.

What I can't stand is some muppet who sits in his bedroom, keyboard warrioring the hell out of forums and Twitter, slagging off every man and his dog who have done great things for United, saying his he is massive United fan.

You want to tear into Scholes and whoever, knock yourself out but to me you're a bit of an idiot loving him failing after what he has done for the club.

You disagree, crack on, I won't be losing any sleep over it, now put your toys back in your pram princess
Quite an informative post. Thanks

RedorDead21

They would have all seen united relegated before they called out Rooney for stinking out the joint for season after season. Even defending the shambles that he was in the end. As soon as a player stops playing for the club they are no more credible than your average fan, less so if anything as they have agendas through their closer relationships to certain people etc.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He doesn't get it. Because he was a footnote in this club's history.

In truth, it's a typical and misguided take on criticism - 'if you have nothing good today, please don't say anything at all'.

If the football and the manager are miserable, what's Paul Scholes supposed to say?

"You had your time" - as if working at the club and walking away from football are the only two potions.

I understand sometimes their views are contentious and either too supportive or negative of somebody, but isn't that the case with everyone here as well? And they're even less articular than many posters here.
I would agree with this except in the case of Scholes and NEville in particular, they have actually gone out of their way to criticise the club, managers and individual players. It goes beyond their job as pundits. You wont see Scholes criticising a City or Liverpool player in the way he has Pogba for example. Neville has talked so much shite about United in the last few years its unreal. When we are doing badly he literally never shuts up. If they want to be pundits they should do their job as pundits and comment on United when it is relevant, the same they would any other club.

If they want to have opinions on everything anyone in the club does, and then voice them to the world, then they can expect to get some opinions back. Neville must be hated within the club at this point.

ZLatan might have only been here a year and a bit but he was a leader and very good player while he was here, probab;ly having to put up with listening to and reading the shite they were coming out with week after week.

mu4c_20le

In my mind the class of 92 can easily learn a thing or two from other club legends who seem more than happy to not kick the club when we’re down (Cantona, Rio, OGS, Stam, Vida, Beckham, SAF, Rooney etc).

They chose punditry to enrich themselves and they proved they know feck all about what it takes to manage a club from their spectacular failures so their opinions about what to do to take the club forward are borderline useless as well or maybe as useful as an average fans opinon is.

Using their privileged status as club legends, without any proof that their opinions are actually good, with no consequences for bad ideas (Scholes literally wanted Pogba sold), whining about the club on TV obviously takes the polish off of their legendary status for me.
Yeah but like you said yourself, they are pundits. It's literally their job. If they weren't employed to give their opinions, but still find time to snipe at United out of bitterness, then thats a different story. I just think that you cannot dislike someone just for being negative. Maybe they have their own views on how United should be like, given they themselves enjoyed a time where the club was at an all time high. It is not far fetched to think that they have high expectations for the club. No one likes to hear negativity when things are going well, but thats exactly what pundits are for.

Shiva87

I would agree with this except in the case of Scholes and NEville in particular, they have actually gone out of their way to criticise the club, managers and individual players. It goes beyond their job as pundits. You wont see Scholes criticising a City or Liverpool player in the way he has Pogba for example. Neville has talked so much shite about United in the last few years its unreal. When we are doing badly he literally never shuts up. If they want to be pundits they should do their job as pundits and comment on United when it is relevant, the same they would any other club.

If they want to have opinions on everything anyone in the club does, and then voice them to the world, then they can expect to get some opinions back. Neville must be hated within the club at this point.

ZLatan might have only been here a year and a bit but he was a leader and very good player while he was here, probab;ly having to put up with listening to and reading the shite they were coming out with week after week.
But that's the thing. Have you seen how happy Neville has been since Ole has come? It's important to understand that they are players who gave their life to the club. They are entitled to a strong opinion when things are not going well. (Yes, they should show some care in voicing it publicly - but that doesn't mean they should shut up.

I honestly think some of the Class of 92 hate on here is because of how LVG and Jose couldn't take their criticism about playing football the United way. What do you expect Scholes to feel when a manager of 'his club' questions its 'football heritage'? Zlatan can say what he wants, but I'm choosing any one of Scholes, Giggs, Nevilles, or Butt over him any day of the week...

I don't dislike them, loved them when they played for United.

But when they turned it into a brand, a cash cow and their own entity totally separate from Manchester United. It got way out of hand.

The documentary was also disrespectful to Dennis Irwin - he was one of United most consistent players through the entire 1990s and into the early 2000. The CO92 documentary tried to erase him and pretend Phil Neville was our left back, simply to fit their narrative.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Zlatan's bang on the money about the (Scholes) criticism on Pogba, that's for sure. It was just way over the top and he came across as weirdly bitter.

Things like "Juventus made Pogba look good", "Pogba isn't worth his transfer fee", "Pogba needs to use his brain", maybe he says those things about non United players as well, but I guess they don't get as much attention then. Anyone with half a brain understands the impact your comments as a club legend can have on current players. At least Rio seems to understand that, I don't hear him breaking down our defenders like that in such a blunt and bitter way.

And at that time Mourinho actually defended Pogba in public by attacking Scholes, after which Scholes went for him, and then later Mourinho fell out with Pogba as well. What a clusterfeck when you think about it, glad that negativity is over for:lol:

Foxbatt

Zlatan is spot on. We need to get off the history of this is how SAF would have done it etc. SAF did it long time back. We should stop judging everything by the way things were done those days. No one now has the kind of authority that SAF had or for that matter Arsene had at Arsenal.

Bill Hartzia

Scholes is my favourite ever player. He probably always will be. But there is a distinction to be made between the admiration we have for him (and that ‘group’ as a whole) and the level of warmth felt towards them as individuals.
This.

Scholes, great player that he was, comes across as something of a twat. Phil Neville was with Moyes, marks him down as a traitor in my book. Giggs has a fairly unsavoury personal history etc etc...

Great players, club legends, but not necessarily the nicest people it may appear to some (of us).

noodlehair

"It's like..."
But that's the thing. Have you seen how happy Neville has been since Ole has come? It's important to understand that they are players who gave their life to the club. They are entitled to a strong opinion when things are not going well. (Yes, they should show some care in voicing it publicly - but that doesn't mean they should shut up.

I honestly think some of the Class of 92 hate on here is because of how LVG and Jose couldn't take their criticism about playing football the United way. What do you expect Scholes to feel when a manager of 'his club' questions its 'football heritage'? Zlatan can say what he wants, but I'm choosing any one of Scholes, Giggs, Nevilles, or Butt over him any day of the week...
They are players who played for the club. This gave their life stuff is silly. They didn't do it for free. I'm not questioning their love for the club or their right to an opinion, but if they are going to voice their opinion to the world, and use their position as pundits to air it rather than keep it as a personal opinion, then it and they are there to be criticised for it. Particularly if it is a stupid opinion. In Scholes's case on at least one occasion our manager has had to come out and defend one of our players from his personal criticisms. Neville literally just makes stuff up about how terrible the club is, just so he can moan about it. They've both used their jobs to do this rather than just keep their opinions as their own. I can understand why they would say what they have said but I think it's massively unrealistic to suggest no one should or will criticise them for it.

Why do you feel you have to choose who take out of Zlatan and the class of 92? Zlatan is entitled to an opinion and you are entitled to not have to choose between him and the class of 92 just because it differs from theirs. He isn't less entitled to one just because he played for the club for less time. As someone who spent 18 months at the club listening to the likes of Neville and Scholes take pops at it and the players constantly, I think his annoyance is quite easy to understand, even if you agree with everything Neville and Scholes say. Imagine going to work and trying your hardest every day, only for some retired blokes in suits who have no clue what actually goes on at your work to keep criticising you week after week.

Nowt to do with the point but I do also find this "class of 92" stuff a bit cringey. They aren't a brand or a club in their own right. They are players who played for us. I hold them in high regard as players and always will, as they're the players I grew up watching, but I don't need to know about how many hotels or other football clubs they own, or build some kind of shrine to them.

Last edited:

youmeletsfly

They shouldn't get any hate, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, be them fans or pundits.

Cantona had a few swipes at Jose and his brand of football and he got no backlash from fans or players, the 92 class should be the same.

Eddy_JukeZ

Interesting comments from Ibra.

I do wonder if any former players from other big clubs in Europe have criticized their former club/current players in similar fashion to Scholes/Neville? I'm not aware of any, but I might be missing someone.

Chairman Steve

I'm pretty much indifferent to them in their post-career and under their 'Class of 92' thing. I agree with Keane in that the way they've branded themselves that officially is a bit cringe.

They're more than entitled to have an opinion since they all spent a good portion of their lives at Utd and were very successful, but you can agree or disagree with them. They are not sacred deities to stand the test of time. Many came before them and many more will come after.

Moriarty

They shouldn't get any hate, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, be them fans or pundits.

Cantona had a few swipes at Jose and his brand of football and he got no backlash from fans or players, the 92 class should be the same.
Ah, but he's Cantona. As far as I'm concerned, he can say whatever he likes.

purgethefallen

Ha jesus chill the f**k out, don't bother me where people are from if they make the effort to go to games.

What I can't stand is some muppet who sits in his bedroom, keyboard warrioring the hell out of forums and Twitter, slagging off every man and his dog who have done great things for United, saying his he is massive United fan.

You want to tear into Scholes and whoever, knock yourself out but to me you're a bit of an idiot loving him failing after what he has done for the club.

You disagree, crack on, I won't be losing any sleep over it, now put your toys back in your pram princess
Why should it matter who or where they are as long as what they are saying is reasonable? Just because you've been to OT does not make you, in any way, shape or form, a better supporter than anyone else. In fact, it might be said that you are acting like an entitled little kid.

So what if people don't agree with what an ex-player has said, that's their right. They shouldn't be vilified with not agreeing with someone just because you believe them to be a legend of the club. Being a legend is not a qualification for being right, at all.

lsd

The Oracle
Zlatan, still licking Jose's balls from the retirement league.

He is exactly right especially in regards to their comments on Pogba . You can't tell me Neville doesn't have an agenda against Pogba same for Scholes .

The fact that Rio comes off as the most honest Ex Utd pundit is quite telling .Even Hargreaves is a better listen on Utd

I don't believe a word Neville and Scholes say, they really are twisted .

Owen06

I think supporters like myself will always respect and appreciate them for what they achieved at this club. but listening to them sometimes is not the best experience. their percieved bitterness for not afforded roles at the club, their obsession with finding the new Ferguson and their relentless criticism of the club are really annoying.

Before the class of 92 was the holy Trinity and after the class of 92 is the current crop of players we have now. this club belongs to no one. yes they were great players for us but they were also rewarded with legendary status and good pay packet. they need to stop criticising the players at every opportunity they get,their criticism has never helped us in anyway it needs to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suedesi

No one "disrespecting" the CO92 and their achievements for the club, but once they become pundits and criticize (rightly or wrongly) the club, the fans have the right to criticize (rightly or wrongly) back.

So what have the CO92 done in the game after retiring from Man Utd.

• Gary Neville became a pundit and a failed manager at Valencia. Famous for asking to give managers more time (Moyes and Mourinho in particular).
  • Phil Neville became the most annoying commentator and sometimes pundit ever. He failed with United as part of the Moyes regime. Overall, the Nevilles have got this lippiness and uppity attitude that just rubs me the wrong way. Just pipe down you busybodies.
  • Giggs was part of the Moyes regime and LVG regime as assistant manager. He was also a caretaker manager winning 2, losing 1 and drawing 1. His overall involvement with United post-retirement has largely been a failure. Ryan does not inspire loyalty, leadership, commitment and dedication into his players, partly because he's got dead reptilian eyes, and partly because he ahem boned his brother's wife.
  • Scholes... my most favorite United player ever, partly because I genuinely didn't know what he sounded like. As a pundit he's been scathing on the club (mostly rightly rather than wrongly), but then again he failed with Oldham.
  • Nicky Butt has been working at the academy, and has been doing well.
  • Becks is busy working on Inter Miami FC.
Also, Gary thanks for this:

Last edited:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
What if the class of 92 said nothing but positives since Ferguson left?

The knives would be out too.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

:lol:

Okay, We get it, Top Red. I'm sure you were there too when They sprayed Garlic at Old Trafford (or maybe this post is the result of too much Garlic).

mu4c_20le

He is exactly right especially in regards to their comments on Pogba . You can't tell me Neville doesn't have an agenda against Pogba same for Scholes .

The fact that Rio comes off as the most honest Ex Utd pundit is quite telling .Even Hargreaves is a better listen on Utd

I dunno about most honest but i think you and most people like Rio is because he's a joker and a clown, like Lineker, who has also never managed a club before yet no one ever calls them out on it.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
While the class of 92 were remarkable for the amount of good players that came through at one time they are human beings. They have faults and failings like the rest of us. They are an interesting part of Ferguson's time at United. They did make an exceptional contribution to the success United enjoyed under Ferguson, but he had success at United before they came along.
In terms of being disrespected I think most of that comes from post United. Giggs playing footsie with his brother's wife is plain despicable. Neville.P was part of the doomed Moyes era. Neville.G failed at Valencia but is an outspoken t.v. pundit. Scholes is a wooden pundit. Butt's playing career post United didn't amount to much. Beckham the brand overtook the player in time.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

He basically said he rated Mourinho as a coach but felt his style wasn't a great fit for United, because he wanted to see more attacking football, not sure what's wrong with that.

Scholes' criticism on Pogba was actually pretty valid at times and of course he can give his opinion. It's the tone that makes the music though...

For example, I don't see any headlines about Xavi saying that Coutinho should use his brain, or that he isn't worth his transfer fee, or Iniesta stating that Liverpool made Coutinho look good - though I don't follow Spanish football that closely and maybe they've been very critical as well.

Expressing your opinion in a slightly more positive way while remaining critical can be a really good thing. But maybe it's just Scholes' style, he does seem like a chap who likes a bit of dark and sadastic humour.

Before Pogba and Mourinho (and now Zlatan), Van Gaal was complaining about it as well

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/12/louis-van-gaal-paul-scholes-manchester-united-fans

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

I can see why they get criticised. They spent the entire time as pundit critiquing everyone in football yet given the opportunity to manage they have all been embarrassing failures.

And when it comes to United it’s always compared to their era. We were successful back then of course but we need to move on. I completely agree with everything Zlatan said recently.

Fridge chutney

I have no doubt that if the great Sir Alex dared critique our club, some "fans" would rejoice in his failure were that to happen.

Needham

Can't wait for the follow up documentary, Class of 92: The Management Years. It will be one of those sarcastically narrated Channel 5 efforts detailing their calamitous failures managing Oldham, Valencia, England Women's Team (once, as is surely inevitable, Phil Neville makes the slightest of incorrect gender comments and gets lynched in the media then fired then forced to apologise on every major TV channel and social media outlet). Producers are just waiting for Inter Miami to go down the pan and Butty to get sacked for bullying youth.

Ludens the Red

Well that’s cos they don’t give a shit about Liverpool and city. They’re united thick and through, when we do badly and you put a microphone and platform in front of them they’re going to vent. You of all people I would think would recognise this, you do it.
That’s not criticising you, there’s plenty on here(me included) far more vocal in slagging off United when we’re doing badly then when we’re doing well. It’s just what fans do.

Yes I know they’re pundits and are supposed to be professional but fecking hell have you seen the state of other pundits.
Matt Le Tissier every Saturday afternoon, doesn’t even bother watching the match he’s been assigned cos he’s too busy staring at the Southampton game and obnoxiously celebrating them scoring goals.
Phil Thompson is the same, don’t even get me started on Graeme Souness.
Alan Shearer basically has a ten minute rant on Newcastle once a month. It’s just what football fans do and bottom line that’s what Neville and Scholes are, regardless of whether they’re in a suit in a sky sports studio.
I really can’t get my head round the amount of people on here who get angry at Scholes and Neville ranting about United. Look at this place when we lose a game, everyone’s a keyboard warrior and ranting away. It’s what a fan does, we’re not supposed to be rational all the time with United. There’s too much emotion attached. Maybe people need to just ‘get it’ so we don’t have stupid threads like these.

Last edited:

ryansgirl

Talk about going over the top.............but you`re welcome to your irrational, frankly false narrative.
Did you ever seriously follow the lads` careers both at United and post United? It doesn`t seem like it.

Gary (and Phil Nev) were always known as the busy bodies although the second word was sometimes replaced by a cruder one. That is, they always had something to say and in Gary`s case even more as he was and is a strong unionist.
They grew up at United just like Beckham, Scholesy, Butt and Giggsy although of course Ryan was in the first team at a phenomenal age and with the `big boys` in Hughes, later Cantona, etc.

All the 92 lads cared and care passionately about Manchester United. They had and have the right to give their opinions as ex players of the most successful era in United history, taking nothing away from the Busby Babes and the re-born United of the 1960s. I`m speaking about cups and medals here.

They don`t have to be like Becks who has been very tactful publicly about the manager roundabout and general instability. Every one is different. I think it`s fair to say in Scholesy`s case that such a quiet man suddenly realised he didn`t have to keep his opinions to himself because he was being paid to be a pundit, not a yes man.

I think the fan reaction to the punditry has been over the top. I didn`t like some of the ex United players`s comments because it fed into the general glee about United coming a cropper from its former position and looking like the big clubs that fail because of instability in the administration.

Even while the managers with whom many were discontented, won silverware. However, Gary`s and Scholey`s opinions were honestly their opinions and not some kind of agenda. You didn`t need an agenda to criticise players who appeared to be carrying their hurt feelings and off-pitch discontent into the games they are being grossly over-paid to win.

And it`s not hard to see why ex players who were enormously successful and gave their all not only for their career but the club in the most genuine way, would have digs at some players even if the digs were blown out of context. Looking at the players of the Ferguson teams versus the non-committed, precious crew paid far more for being capricious, mouthy and sly on social media, it`s very easy to see why they would want to give their real opinions about such players.

ryansgirl

Ryan just said it all.

I read on espn`s web site that he had a light dig at Zlatin, then went on to point out the number of games he and Gary, Scholesy etc all played and the fact that ex players will have opinions and those opinions will not always be positive.

Ryan also nailed it: `We are (Manchester United) supporters.`

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Can't wait for the follow up documentary, Class of 92: The Management Years. It will be one of those sarcastically narrated Channel 5 efforts detailing their calamitous failures managing Oldham, Valencia, England Women's Team (once, as is surely inevitable, Phil Neville makes the slightest of incorrect gender comments and gets lynched in the media then fired then forced to apologise on every major TV channel and social media outlet). Producers are just waiting for Inter Miami to go down the pan and Butty to get sacked for bullying youth.
:lol: I'd watch it, the old (new) version of The Inbetweeners.

promisedlanchiao

This is the best way to get straight to the point. Since Slippy and Spitty left they have had nothing but good things to say about liverpool, same for terry at chelsea despite both clubs faring worse than us since the 3 players left.

Meanwhile our two idiots Scholes and Neville just talk a lot of shit about our managers and any player they dislike.

P.s idiots is a bit harsh but its what these kinds of people should be branded.

Needham

This is the best way to get straight to the point. Since Slippy and Spitty left they have had nothing but good things to say about liverpool, same for terry at chelsea despite both clubs faring worse than us since the 3 players left.
Meanwhile our two idiots Scholes and Neville just talk a lot of shit about our managers and any player they dislike.
Neville sounded almost too reluctant to criticize Mourinho and it was very hard not to attack the slow hand clapping stuff served up by LvG. Tbf to Carragher I'm sure he'd be pointing out such shit on a stick were Liverpool to produce but unfortunately they aren't.

lsd

The Oracle
Ryan just said it all.

I read on espn`s web site that he had a light dig at Zlatin, then went on to point out the number of games he and Gary, Scholesy etc all played and the fact that ex players will have opinions and those opinions will not always be positive.

Ryan also nailed it: `We are (Manchester United) supporters.`

Sorry but saying you are a supporter doesn't mean you can constantly criticise certain people over and over for no reason which is what Neville and Scholes do .

RMD83

Actually carragher did upset a lot of Liverpool fans in the wake of Rodgers sacking saying that the fans had to accept that liverpool fans needed to accept that the club was no longer seen as a threat to the other big clubs in England when it came to challenging for the title or in the transfer market.

Also he got slated for wearing Everton training gear while doing a piece with lukaku at training.

I think some of you are getting far too sensitive about the CO92. They are paid to be pundits not PR men. There has been a lot to criticise in recent years and it isn’t wrong to hear it from ex players, nor do I think they do it because they have some bitter agenda.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Conclusion : They are pundits now. They have no obligation to defend the club and We have no obligation to defend them.

The club doesn't need an approval from Co 92, let them criticize and state whatever They want but if fans turn back against them then it's normal. That's what you get when you're a public figure and state your opinions.

I don't get how disagreeing with them is being disrespectful. It would be if They don't do anything and you talk shit about them for no reason.