Dive of the Day: Oh No, Thomas Müller’s Beautiful Face!

Spielmacher

I don't like the german national team at all, but Pepe was plain stupid to do that, he should've just played on and let Müller act on the floor, the ref didn't give the foul.

Sad Chris

There's nothing to laugh about. Most people agree with me. You can watch the match thread.
It's nice that most people agree with you. I don't and I honestly wouldn't like to live in a football-world, where that situation would always result in a penalty and a red card. I think it's funny to think so.

eddiebb

gobshite
Muller was never hurt in a million years from that - it was a blatant attempt to try and get Pepe sent off, trying to make the ref think he was elbowed in the face. And sadly, he got exactly what he was looking for even though it was more by accident than design. I gotta be honest, I find this whole simulation of injuries thing in the modern game far more tiresome than just plain diving, or indeed anything else for that matter. And the sad thing is, referees almost always fall for it.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Did Pepe and Muller have a bit when they played in the CL semi final aswell?

Watz

Some people are talking nonsense here. Muller's overreaction to the slap was not to get Pepe sent off (nobody gets sent off for this foul) but to signal the ref that is was a foul. The "Hey Ref I was fouled and because I don't know if you saw it I will exegerate it a little bit so that you call the whistle m'kay" routine. And his reaction to the headbutt was anything but playacting because instead of rolling on the floor in pain, Muller immediately got up and in Pepe's face.

Spielmacher

I wonder if Müller called him something, when sitting on the floor, can't imagine Pepe getting full retard just because he dived/overreacted, it also looks like it if you watch the reaction of Pepe. He had himself surprisingly good under control over the whole season.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
If Müller had tried to get Pepe sent off, he could've just rolled on the ground a lot more after the hit. Yes, he falls theatrically, but not only is that something virtually every player does nowadays (not to say I like this fact!), he also immediately sat back up. He could've milked the shit out of that contact, but he didn't.
Many of the couch cowboys on here have no idea how fast actual professionals run and act, so a sudden slap to the face can be really painful - no matter how harmless it looks on television. It's also quite natural for somebody to react "over the top" when getting hit in the face/head area. It's part protection instincts, part modern professional pragmatism and drama.

@Spielmacher: "can't imagine Pepe getting full retard just because he dived/overreacted"
This is PEPE we're talking about. The guy who once started to go full blown ground and pound on a guy that had actually dived on him. Pepe is one of the biggest morons in football today.

Jerzol78

Some people are talking nonsense here. Muller's overreaction to the slap was not to get Pepe sent off (nobody gets sent off for this foul) but to signal the ref that is was a foul. The "Hey Ref I was fouled and because I don't know if you saw it I will exegerate it a little bit so that you call the whistle m'kay" routine. And his reaction to the headbutt was anything but playacting because instead of rolling on the floor in pain, Muller immediately got up and in Pepe's face.
And the most important thing, Pepe was sent off not for fouling Muller when Muller overreacted, but only for that headbutt.

And as for the headbutt, I agree that it was a soft and not harming "hit" but the referee was right to punish such behaviour without the need of any deliberation as to what impact and strength is required to be red card offense and when it might be not strong enough to be punished (e.g. yellow card instead of red card).

Reactions: SilentWitness

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
this red card is a disgrace. Müller derserved some strong words from someone. Yes, he was hit but he made the Busquets and wanted Pepe puniched. If everyone makes such drama there will be no more flow of play.
He made a Busquets? What´s next comparing Pepe to Gandhi?

Spielmacher

@Spielmacher: "can't imagine Pepe getting full retard just because he dived/overreacted"
This is PEPE we're talking about. The guy who once started to go full blown ground and pound on a guy that had actually dived on him. Pepe is one of the biggest morons in football today.
I know who Pepe is. :) But like I said, he had himself under control over the whole season, so there had to be something more that he flips in such an important match.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I like seeing assholes like Pepe getting "disgraceful" reds. How many did he sent off with such? Though, that does not exclude Muller from being one too.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I know who Pepe is. :) But like I said, he had himself under control over the whole season, so there had to be something more that he flips in such an important match.
Imo Pepe is one of those guys that sometimes just reaches a point where all dials turn left, sometimes for no real reason at all. No matter how much he had himself under control this past season, I always feel like Pepe is a disaster waiting to happen any given game. A Leopard can't change his spots and so on.

Spielmacher

Imo Pepe is one of those guys that sometimes just reaches a point where all dials turn left, sometimes for no real reason at all. No matter how much he had himself under control this past season, I always feel like Pepe is a disaster waiting to happen any given game. A Leopard can't change his spots and so on.
Last season I would've said the same thing, but this season it really seemed he matured as a person and player. Sadly, he proved me wrong as it looks.

insideman

I'm german so i'm obviously biased, but i 'm very surprised of a lot of things i'm reading here.
First of all, Pepe didn't get send off for fouling as the last man, how can some people talk about goalscoring opportunity or not and that a yellow would've been sufficient, when the red card was obviously nothing about that?

Secondly, aren't you being very harsh on Müller's so called "playacting", he gets a touch to his face, and yes him going down looks a little theatrical, but it is absolutely possible in my opinion that such a touch to his face might hurt quite a bit on impact and even if not, almost every player would go down there to try and get a freekick and after going down there's no "acting" from Müller at all?! He doesn't roll around on the floor or make any gestures towards the ref or ANYTHING, he just sits up and waits?

And then Pepe goes full maniac and headbutts him, while Müller is just sitting there, neither saying anything ( as far as we can tell from the replay ), nor making any gestures towards other players or the ref. I mean, Müller wasn't even looking at Pepe, and even if it's not a bone breaking headbutt, it's clearly a headbutt, towards a player who's just sitting on the pitch? How is that a "soft" red? That's a straight red everyday of the week, right?

I have been really surprised aboutthe image Müller has received on this forum in the past months, and about the english media dumping all over Müller concerning this incident? I actually thought he controlled himself tremendously well? Didn't roll around on the floor, didn't say anything or make gestures to anyone, he was just sitting there. And after Pepe headbutts him he doesn't roll around either, and just gets up goes face to face with Pepe without crossing the line. Especially since Müller is considered as one of the most down-to-earth, fairest and nicest player here in Germany, i would like to hear some opinion about this!

e: The penalty aswell? Not a hard foul but it was a clear penalty nontheless, wasn't it? The defender stumbles in with his legs a little, pulls the shirt, no decision to complain about?

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I see that Germany hater on ITV has found some followers in the caf. By definition Müller did not dive, because the contact of Pepe's hand to Müller's face was obvious. Was it an overreaction? Maybe, but have you ever been hit in the middle of a run by an opponent's hand? I have and sometimes it's the shock of the unexpected impact more than pain which let's you drop to the floor. Müller also did not role on the floor as if in pain which is exactly the kind of behavior you would expect from some of the Portugal players.

I feel this discussion is based on anti-German sentiments in parts of the English media (especially that bloke on ITV) and the impact of England's loss to Italy.

Really nothing to see here,

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
people saying Müller was a ridiculous cheat for that need to get a flying hand to their face while tussling for the ball. Caught him by surprise, face is always dangerous, slap, poke, or finger knuckles to the face at full speed are bound to hurt a bit. Just cause the slow mo doesn't look dangerous doesn't mean that it can't be a short moment of shock for Müller.
No reason to roll around but if you look at the footage it's not like he was gonna stay on the ground. Then he got headbutted by Pepe, surely the "cheatiest" way to handle the situation would've been to throw himself on the ground again and act like the contact had been harder. Instead Müller got right back up, stood up to Pepe. Looked dumb while doing that, Müller always looks a bit spastic to be quite honest, but that's nothing new.
All that said, so many people have thrown the word cnut at Müller last night. He really is a nice bloke though and very down to earth. People are being ridiculous comparing him to Pepe. Müller, aside of Mertesacker, probably has the least evil character of all the guys who were on the field for Germany yesterday.
I have. Loads of times. The natural reaction would be to stop, holding my face, and probably crouching down slowly while my eyes are tearing up. Maybe add a few shouts to the ref as to why he didn't call it. But then again, I'm not as good as Mueller is at football so maybe I was doing it wrong.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Totally agree, it may be "the culture of football" but can and needs to be dealt with for the good of the sport.
It shouldn't be the culture of a sport played by adults, though. Players should be encouraged to play tough, not play like delicate princesses. What Pepe did was a real non issue for me. It's one or those things that shouldn't even be remembered after a game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The way the ref handled the Pogba/Palacios was perfect IMHO, he could have sent off either of them or both of them but a yellow card to them was IMHO the best solution.It's as if the red card has become a "safe" solution for referees.
I agree. They should be encouraged to use their brains as well. I don't see what grave danger or harm pepe caused muller. It's laughable that things like that should result in red cards. Players abuse each other and use profanities all game, but on my god he put his forehead, to the other guys forehead!

heub

How is that a dive?

He gets hit in the face.It's foul any day of the week.
Maybe he overacted a little bite, but thats normal nowadays.

To call that a dive is ridiculous.

this. IMO muller is UNDERREACTING compared to modern football standards. he gets a finger in his face and goes down without blaming pepe. and muller stands up after the headbutt, 9/10 playerd would roll on the floor for a couple of seconds.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Muller should have been sent off for two bookable offences.

1 yellow for simulation and 1 for stupid socks.

Pepe should just be given a red card every time he walks on to the pitch, kind of like in minority report, because you already know he's gonna do something feckwitty.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
According to some pundits, it will probably be Pepe´s last national team match. Can´t say i´m too sad about it

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Pepe should just be given a red card every time he walks on to the pitch, kind of like in minority report, because you already know he's gonna do something feckwitty.
Lets not be inhumane. A yellow card at the start of each match should do the trick.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I agree. They should be encouraged to use their brains as well. I don't see what grave danger or harm pepe caused muller. It's laughable that things like that should result in red cards. Players abuse each other and use profanities all game, but on my god he put his forehead, to the other guys forehead!
I agree with you that red cards for extreme things should be brandished and not those stupid semi headbutts. However at the moment it is what it is, what do footballers gain by going head to head like that ? Wtf did Pepe expect to do ? Intimidate Muller ? It hardly ever works this way, better to do a crunching tackle.
The red was too quickly given IMHO but Pepe's stupidity asked for it.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
First of all, Pepe didn't get send off for fouling as the last man, how can some people talk about goalscoring opportunity or not and that a yellow would've been sufficient, when the red card was obviously nothing about that?
That was talk about penalty, not Pepe-Muller incident.

Untied

On those replays, particularly the second one, I really don't think Muller does that much wrong. An exaggerated reaction but meh, happens all the time.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
this. IMO muller is UNDERREACTING compared to modern football standards. he gets a finger in his face and goes down without blaming pepe. and muller stands up after the headbutt, 9/10 playerd would roll on the floor for a couple of seconds.
He grabs his face and collapses to the floor like he's been shot in the head. It's hard to imagine how he could have over-reacted any more to Pepe's hand connecting with his face.

mu4c_20le

I get some people are still upset because they either cheer for Portugal or are disappointed that a good game was ruined. But while Muller did make a meal out of the very little contact to his face, he should not be blamed at all for Pepe's overreaction, and he should be credited for not reacting to the headbutt (other than getting up and shouting angrily in german).

I mean, Robben does that face grabbing thing every week.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think you have to give Müller credit for not milking the 'headbutt'. How many players would have started rolling around on the floor there...

If he was a proper diver, thats where he would have excelled.

Spielmacher

I wished the referee didn't give the red, just for the good of the game. But objectively it was a clear one, doesn't matter what Müller did, but what Pepe did.

iheartnyc

Some of you guys are ridiculous.

1) Intentionally throwing your hand in the direction where you know Muller's face is going to be, while both of you are SPRINTING FULL SPEED ahead, is DANGEROUS. Yes, this time the contact did not result in any damage, but people can suffer broken noses, bruised or even damaged eyes. Did Muller overreact? ABSOLUTELY NOT. He could and SHOULD have made a big deal about it, to draw attention to the reckless and dangerous flailing of arms at people's faces, so that the referees can punish such behavior and act as a deterrent for the future.

If Muller just "took it like a man", yes he would have been fine. But staying silent will only encourage other players to aggressively use their arms and hands and make result in even more injuries than there already are.

In the 1990s, players took for granted two-footed tackles and very cynical defending. They sucked it up "like a man." This resulted in many injuries and greatly shortened the careers of some of the brightest stars the 1990s produced. Eventually the referees cracked down and so it's not so big a problem anymore. Same goes for these reckless throwing of hands and elbows at each other's faces that is rampant in today's football. Seriously, give these defenders an inch, and they WILL take a mile.

2) How "hard" the headbutt was is not even a matter for consideration or debate. It is an embarrassing and completely unprofessional, violent act towards another player on the pitch in FRONT OF THE WHOLE WORLD. The last thing we want is our referees to start making subjective judgements on the pitch on what constitutes an acceptable level of "violent" conduct, whether it be a headbutt, a slap on the face or kicking a player who is down.

It's a slippery slope folks, and there should be zero tolerance for any form of violent behavior.