g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Do we extend Ole's contract?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ole is the only manager to get 300m and 2 years as year zero.

Most managers would have been successful in 3 years and moved on.

But 3 years for us is just foreplay
Sentiment & outright obsession with the past is killing our club. We’re Liverpool circa 1994, Ole is our Souness.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ole is the only manager to get 300m and 2 years as year zero.

Most managers would have been successful in 3 years and moved on.

But 3 years for us is just foreplay
We're run by utter morons.

Other top clubs have high standards and have only success on their minds. We are sentimental and prefer to stick by mediocrity to stick to useless principles of stability. It's sad, Chelsea hire a top class manager and win the CL while our fans keep muttering "but who is out there who can do better than Ole?!". There are always quality managers out there, it's the club's responsibility to hire them. Chelsea managed to do it. We obviously can't.

FatTails

Yes but Ole is in a rebuild, can't judge him until he gets an entirely world-class XI and even if he doesn't win he's settling the bases for the next manager. He's a hero.
It’s a squad game actually. You need two world class players per position to challenge and win anythingbite

SAFMUTD

It’s a squad game actually. You need two world class players per position to challenge and win anythingbite
Sure, can't win shit with players like Rashford, Bruno, Shaw and company you need world beaters like Werner, Rudiger and Azpilicueta to do it.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
If he had won the EL then yes, but he didn't. You have to win trophies at Utd. It is good that the dressing room is happier. Ole has also done a fine job of getting rid of some deadweight from the squad. The team are quite entertaining to watch. He is, however, developing a track record of failing to capitalise on big opportunities. I think he will get one more season. I would happily let him stay in the job indefinitely, but in reality I think he will be gone if he doesn't win silverware next season.

SAFMUTD

I know managers can effect teams in a small period of time, Ole went unbeaten for months including beating Tuchel over two legs didn’t he? ;)

Edit: Please no more of the ‘club legend’ reasoning. Its Ole, not Cantona. Honestly I don’t think a single person is blinded by this fake-phenomena, they just see the season on season improvements, some disappointments of course, but overall a net-improvement.
Again this type of reasoning, yes he beat Tuchel once. Does that make him a better manager? Clearly not. Same reasoning of the people that claim Ole is not far from Pep since he has beat him in the league...

Difference between Tuchel is he impacted a team by winning the UCL, Ole impacted the team by getting them to the quarter finals only to be bullied by Barcelona.

I'm convinced is not a "fake phenomena" as you say, since most arguments to defend Ole are about "him getting the club" "going back to the old ways" "caring about the club" those are arguments that come purely out of sentiment for the legend. No one would claim that from a manager with no ties to the club. Truth is if Ole didn't had the history he has as a player here he would even had been considered for the job.

Roane

Hypothetical scenario here.

If we sacked Ole tomorrow, would he get appointed at another premiere league club?

Likes of Moyes had "money in the bank" prior to UTD,. What's Ole got? One relegation and Molde who have been better without him.

el3mel

If we sacked Ole tomorrow, would he get appointed at another premiere league club?

Likes of Moyes had "money in the bank" prior to UTD,. What's Ole got? One relegation and Molde who have been better without him.
Ole will never land a big job after United. However I can see him getting hired by a midtable club. Wasn't Lampard linked to Crystal Palace few weeks ago I believe ? Probably something on the same level.

SAFMUTD

I don't think he would be hired immediately but eventually he would get a job, much like Lampard. But one things for sure, it wont be in a top 6 team, maybe in a top 8-10 team but most likely in a bottom team.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Tuchel just won the CL and Chelsea will reward him... by offering him a two year contract.

Roane

Ole will never land a big job after United. However I can see him getting hired by a midtable club. Wasn't Lampard linked to Crystal Palace few weeks ago I believe ? Probably something on the same level.
Have to be honest I don't see it myself. Lampard maybe due to Derby and then Chelsea.

Besides I understand Crystal Palace are keen on getting Dyche.

I see Ole maybe going for the National team but not so much in the EPL.

Gurtej

whatever the pundits or man utd loyalists say.... Chelsea ruthless approach works to deliver titles.... and plz plz for god sake don’t use SAF as how United way is the right way.... boss was a genius..... bloody genius..

we need to be ruthless and have a proper recruitment strategy.....

Mylock

I wouldn't extend his contract, and I wouldn't fire him. I would have him appoint an experienced top-class assistant as it seems to be badly missing. If we hit the ground running and are on the right track by Jan, you have him sign a new contract.

Lebo

I would hire Bielsa from today if I was in charge. Yes his track record isn’t that impressive but he does get his teams to punch above their weight while being more attacking than anyone I know which is all we need really. I’m almost certain he will bring home at least 1 trophy next season

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Have to be honest I don't see it myself. Lampard maybe due to Derby and then Chelsea.

Besides I understand Crystal Palace are keen on getting Dyche.

I see Ole maybe going for the National team but not so much in the EPL.
It depends on next season. If Ole can get United to Top 4 without spending much this Summer, he'll get offers from some good Clubs. But if he spends 100+m, and only fighting for for Top 4 and with no trophy, I think his career at mid- big Club is finish.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yes but Ole is in a rebuild, can't judge him until he gets an entirely world-class XI and even if he doesn't win he's settling the bases for the next manager. He's a hero.
An entirely World class XI is worthless without another 10 world class players sitting on the bench. Else you're setting Ole to fail. We need all that talent to beat Villareal or Istanbul Basaksehir.

SAFMUTD

An entirely World class XI is worthless without another 10 world class players sitting on the bench. Else you're setting Ole to fail. We need all that talent to beat Villareal or Istanbul Basaksehir.
Also he needs better coached around him, because McKenna and Carrick are falling him. We need to get the best coaches and players to carry him otherwise we're setting him to fail.

devilish

Also he needs better coached around him, because McKenna and Carrick are falling him. We need to get the best coaches and players to carry him otherwise we're setting him to fail.
Sarcasm aside our coaching does need to improve. It's fascinating how these two can survive a manager being sacked and 4 years of winning jack shit including 12 months were our defence is left clueless when defending a set piece. Carrick and Mckenna are slowly becoming the coaching version of Jones and Bailly. They retain their job despite our coaching level is shit

SAFMUTD

Sarcasm aside our coaching does need to improve. It's fascinating how these two can survive a manager being sacked and 4 years of winning jack shit including 12 months were our defence is left clueless when defending a set piece. Carrick and Mckenna are slowly becoming the coaching version of Jones and Bailly. They retain their job despite our coaching level is shit
Im not sure how it works at other clubs but I think the manager has his own coaching staff? I mean how and why did those two keep their jobs after failing miserably time and time again.

Definitely need to improve on them, specially Carrick I don't know what the hell he does but whenever I look at him he's just staring into de abysm. like a foreigner in a new country that doesn't understand the language.

Water Melon

It depends on next season. If Ole can get United to Top 4 without spending much this Summer, he'll get offers from some good Clubs. But if he spends 100+m, and only fighting for for Top 4 and with no trophy, I think his career at mid- big Club is finish.
He will not get an offer from any of Chelsea, Pool, City, Arsenal or Leicester if he does not spend much and still finishes top 4. He will not get any offers from any top teams in Spain, Germany or Italy. Surely PSG or Lille will not want him as well.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He will not get an offer from any of Chelsea, Pool, City, Arsenal or Leicester if he does not spend much and still finishes top 4. He will not get any offers from any top teams in Spain, Germany or Italy. Surely PSG or Lille will not want him as well.
Yeh, maybe not top Clubs, but good Clubs. I still think It depends on next season, how far he can take United.

devilish

Im not sure how it works at other clubs but I think the manager has his own coaching staff? I mean how and why did those two keep their jobs after failing miserably time and time again.

Definitely need to improve on them, specially Carrick I don't know what the hell he does but whenever I look at him he's just staring into de abysm. like a foreigner in a new country that doesn't understand the language.
I agree. We can't keep on relying on the brilliance of individual players. It's a ridiculously expensive strategy that is making us look incredible predictable. Ole needs to be surrounded with experienced coaches

TsuWave

>sack a dud regardless if he’s a club legend
>hire a serious manager
>win CL

hmm

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
For me it really depends on who is replacing Ole. No doubt that we are far too sentimental regarding managers. The problem isn't that we keep changing managers, it's we keep hiring the wrong ones. Nearly every other big club in world remains succesfull despite chopping managers. Even Bayern sacked Flick despite winning the CL last year and the league this year. At United we've been celebrating the top 4 trophy for 8 years.

Skills

Snitch
For me it really depends on who is replacing Ole. No doubt that we are far too sentimental regarding managers. The problem isn't that we keep changing managers, it's we keep hiring the wrong ones. Nearly every other big club in world remains succesfull despite chopping managers. Even Bayern sacked Flick despite winning the CL last year and the league this year. At United we've been celebrating the top 4 trophy for 8 years.
I'd say the other issue is, we're not changing them quick enough. Everyone makes bad managerial appointments & each manager has his own shelf life. But you've got to move on promptly if you think you haven't got the right man or you think he's no longer going to achieve the goals you want.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't really think it matters if his contract is extended or not. Personally, I wouldn't extend it. He needs to be under pressure but I am not sure it matters in the grand scheme of things.

led_scholes

Please no. If towards the end of next year (April) we are indeed challenging for EPL and Cl then yes. But whats the point to extend him now, for all we know we can lose to a random team and end up again in EL and be out of top four by March.

padzilla

Hipster
We saw last night what an elite coach working with a great squad can achieve. Meanwhile over at Old Trafford the board are seriously considering giving Ole a new contract after bottling yet another tournament and qualifying for the CL without mounting anything resembling a title challenge. There's absolutely no way Ole is going to walk away from United so why the rush to give him a new contract? If it all comes apart at the start of next season if we continue our rotten form then we'll have to pay a hefty severance package to him.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Regarding the question in the title - I'm pretty sure we will extend, but I have lost a lot of faith in Ole having seen our performance in the final. I saw poor management and no tactics, no plan or whatsoever to win the game. Finals are important, otherwiste you can play nice football, but always lose finals. Like Juventus.

Giggsyking

I think there’s a fair argument that allowing Ole’s contract to run down could become a distraction next season because it’ll be asked about in every press conference, so I think there should be an extension this summer. However, I think that extension should only be for one additional year, then Ole’s position should be analysed throughout next season and a decision made next summer.
Or if he is a top manager would use that as motivation to prove himself.

Of course he is not a top manager and he would want secure his future for the rest of his life by snitching a longer contract.

RORY65

We shouldn't but we will. He's done a fine job up to this point and if someone took over from him they would have a better starting point than others have had but I don't think he's the man to take us to the next step, he's not a young manager and he's still making the same mistakes he was making last year and the year before. Plus after 2 and a half years I'm still not sure what he wants this team to be (our most common pattern this season was starting games without much of a plan, concede and then completely throw whatever plan there was out of the window) and I don't think he has any idea of how to get us there beyond just buying better players.

If the club was serious about the being the "biggest in the world", which they're very happy to market themselves as despite being it always being a somewhat dubious claim, the executive level of the club wouldn't be run by Glazer & Woodward cronies and the football team wouldn't be run by a bunch of United old boys learning on the job but instead the aim would be to have the most talented and skilled people in those roles. I mean does anyone seriously believe that Solskjaer and his staff are anywhere near the level of the set ups at City, Liverpool or Chelsea?

stw2022

The guy hasn’t even demonstrated he’s got the ability to drop or substitute under performing or even injured players. The football is awful, we demonstrably do not have any semblance of tactical identity, are the weakest side to finish second in memory and yet half want to give him a huge contract extension.

His greatest achievement in management so far has been Liverpool’s treatment table

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Which will then prove the standard of club he should have been managing, not a big club like Manchester United.
I said, maybe. It depends on next season, starting from this Summer window. Tbh, despite the up-and-down, this season is the most exciting one I've had post Fergie. It just feels, we are two signings away to be back to the top again. But that's just my take.

Although I'm also open to any manager change, but not to the like of Conte (who only think about short term success).

Last edited: