Do we need a creator?

mav_9me

Did you see Mkhi at Dortmund?

One of the (unfair) criticisms hurled at Ozil is that when the going gets tough he disappears. Do you think he would have made the difference away at Huddersfield in our stagnant offense?
I didn't see Mkhi in the games but I saw highlights.

I don't think Ozil would have made a difference away to Huddersfield. Absolutely not. But he would be a step up on Mkhi for regular games.

Mcking

Did you see Mkhi at Dortmund?

One of the (unfair) criticisms hurled at Ozil is that when the going gets tough he disappears. Do you think he would have made the difference away at Huddersfield in our stagnant offense?
Yea, because I saw Lingard consistently pass the ball lamely to a defender when what was needed is a pass between the lines. We struggle to create chances in the game, because we had no one capable of bringing the ball forward and poor decision making in attack. Ozil, with his vision and quick passing would have helped us a lot. He probably might not be the difference, but he would have made a huge difference.

desirere

Creativity is moreso a product of approach rather than personnel.

We would buy Griezmann and Ozil and encounter very similar problems.

I mean, bloody hell, I don't think there is a better central midfielder in Europe when it comes to lifting balls over the top than Pogba. But, of course, now he's here and disregarded as a byproduct, of course he isn't good enough at accelerating an attack with a pass...

How many players do we need to churn through before it's widely accepted that the players aren't the problem? Yes, like all sides we can improve, but our general inability to play with any sort of freedom, verve and excitement isn't a personnel problem. It's a coaching one.
I understand your POV and agree with most of it beside the Griezmann and Özil part, with those to players in this at squad atm we'd be smoki'n. As we have witnessed, having Pogba out hits our game hard. He might be the best out there but that makes us overreliant on a single player. We need cover in a similar mould but simple cover isn't enough for what we strive for, we need in a addition to the cover, a regular who will relieve the creative burden and step in as the main man in absence of Pogba.

Think a few steps ahead guys, fixing squad depth before the first team was what accelerated our downfall from 2013 afterwards. The sad part being that the aim was the first team, but for what ever reason our scouting, standards and or luck turned to shite. We are where we are atm, much better then last season, ten times better then the one before and about thirty then "the chosen one" season. Now lets think how to improve in first squad complexity, how to add first and foremost creativity and aggression(style) in the front (RW/CAM) + some much needed spice on the LB and backup RB. Adding up to 3 first string players for the start of next season. Players are/were the problem or at least the mentality that they seem to possess, many are already gone, but that's 2 seasons of misfiring for us. This club was essentialy built from 92' and onwards on hardwork and dedication + agressive attack, as long as we had those individuals who were soked into that winning never say die mentality with SAF at helm we had a chance even with players who really weren't that good. This idea died away and is mission impossible today. With the game changing the way it is, we unfortunately need to keep investing until the quota of, dedicated winners/self-improvers that at the same time fit the style, in the club is filled. We already have the depth, just need to choose the best from the bunch, 3 in 3/4 out. Jose is pragmatic, if he can win playing attack, he'll attack.

Im happy with this season the improvement is more then evident, we're through a rough patch but still continue to gain points and keep up. City have a purple one atm, which will implode sooner or later, its up to us to keep up until that point, thou the way they play, it could be a marathon.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We don't let Mata play in bigger games because the tempo doesn't suit him or because we need more defensive stability.
Mkhi plays shit in nearly every big game.
So what makes people think that Ozil would solve these problems? If anything he combines the weaknesses of the two players!

gavdim2002

Yea, because I saw Lingard consistently pass the ball lamely to a defender when what was needed is a pass between the lines. We struggle to create chances in the game, because we had no one capable of bringing the ball forward and poor decision making in attack. Ozil, with his vision and quick passing would have helped us a lot. He probably might not be the difference, but he would have made a huge difference.
Özil would not have played against Huddersfield - if he played, he would be taken off at halftime and this is our problem. For about 10 years now, we do "adjust to the opposition" (even the likes of Huddersfield) to an extent that (in my book anyway) should not be the case at this great club.

stepic

Ay, simple mate. Piece of piss. Just bring in these lads and watch us fly. Ozil has the best chance creation stats or something. Woo.
You have a point about coaching philosophy but your anti-Jose bias distorts your point too much. You seem to think bringing in better players has minimal bearing on overall play which is ridiculous really. Having Pogba start instead of Herrera makes a huge difference to our play, coaching aside, as one example. Look also at how City's play is enhanced now Pep has better fullbacks.

Jose has had incredible attacking teams in the past when he's had better players to work with. This team is still very young, but is getting better through Rashford and Martial's progress. But better players in some of the other positions absolutely would make a difference to the way we play.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
We have one, but he's being played in a role that doesn't suit his talents; once Paul or Fellaini are back, I'm confident we'll see plenty of creation from Miki.'

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Pogba is the creator. We need a link up forward. If only there was a certain number that applies to that role that we've been talking about for ages.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Özil in January and Zaha in the summer would be nice and wouldn't cost a fortune either.

----Pogba - Matic---
Zaha-Özil-Rashford/Martial
-------Lukaku-----

That line up has pace, strength and creativity.
Err. We have already bought and sold Zaha.

MR D G DOWNEY

Generally it's expected that the number 10 provides that creativity. You need a player able to put his mark on the game.
We currently lack a player like this. All the other teams in the top 6 have one. The player with that extra bit of imagination.

I really expected Mkhi to be this player. He certainly has the talent but he unfortunately not the consistency or composure.

Mcking

Özil would not have played against Huddersfield - if he played, he would be taken off at halftime and this is our problem. For about 10 years now, we do "adjust to the opposition" (even the likes of Huddersfield) to an extent that (in my book anyway) should not be the case at this great club.
Is there a reason he wouldn't have played? Because the last time I checked before the game, Huddersfield were a team just coming off from a 4-0 smashing at the hands of tottenham and the last time I checked? They are a team that just got smashed by liverpool. I don't see a reason why Ozil wouldn't have started that game. Huddersfield are hardly a team that play swashbuckling attacking football, so there's no adjusting to do.

el3mel

Pogba is supposed to be our main creator, but if he's not playing you see what it happens, so yeah we need another creator with Pogba as well.

Our priorities in summer should be a number 10, RW and a LB. Mikhi and Mata should be squad players only starting from next season IMO.

KYcinco

This may sound crazy, but we need a creator who doesn't turn to his dribbling ability too often,someone who is willing to control the game with his passing / off the ball awareness to find space

Miki would suit Arsenals game plan to a tee, we on the other hand have a patient slow build up,so someone like Eriksen would be perfect,he is willing to get hold of the ball at all times and build.

Reactions: Invictus

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I think what's definitely needed is a creative player that can fill the void of Pogba when injured. We also need a #10 that is a consistent goal/assist threat.

Ace of Spades

No because one player doesn't solve the main issues. We lack off the ball movement, specially knowing when to give support to a player, when to make the right runs and we lack the ability to release the ball at the right moments. One player doesn't solve that I'm sorry.
Yeah, I think this is the problem as well. No idea how we solve it though.

Walters_19_MuFc

Pogba is supposed to be our main creator, but if he's not playing you see what it happens, so yeah we need another creator with Pogba as well.

Our priorities in summer should be a number 10, RW and a LB. Mikhi and Mata should be squad players only starting from next season IMO.
We need a 10, but also a centre midfielder who can fill in for Pogba, because to me, there's no point having a great number 10, if we havent got anyone from deep to pick him out.

This has been Ozil's problem at Arsenal, especially when playing as a 10 in a 4231.

When Cazorla got injured, they had no link player. No one to link midfield to attack. That shouldnt be the of a number 10, as it means theyd have to drop too deep.

They should always in between the lines. Problem is, if you havent got anyway from deep, as I said before, the 10 will often drop too deep to start play, meaning the striker can become isolated.

I personally think this is why we see Ozil perform so well for Germany. He has Kroos behind him who links play very well.

Think this is why, before we even think about getting a 10, we need to find another deep lying playmaker to come in for Pogba when injured/rested.

AndyJ1985

We need a few more players who can create something. Mkhitaryan is a waste of space and Mata isn't exactly impressive when he gets a chance in the team. Those two are supposed to be our creative attacking players. As it stands we basically rely on Pogba for our creative outlet, which isn't acceptable. It's little wonder our attack is so poor with him out of the team.

RedRevongge

People are quick to forget it was only a few weeks back we seemed to be scoring 4 goals every time we played

boxykronikle

We have creators. - Mhiki, Mata etc. What we need is a creator who is also able to turn defense into attack quickly. Pogba can, but Carrick is the best at this.
I agree to this fully. Mata is an another one but we seem to struggle a bit physically when he's in the side.

Mr Smith

We need Pogba back. His absence has been the biggest reason for our recent lack of creativity. That said, I'm certainly not opposed to a Mhki replacement.

Deleted member 101472

Have we ever had a proper number 10? My minds drawing a blank.

Deleted member 101472

I don’t think excuses can be made for mata and physicality. He’s the same size as David Silva and every time Silva is on the pitch it’s a minimum 8/10 performance. Matas just not as good.

Mainoldo

It’s been a problem for years and Mhki hasn’t sorted nothing! We need someone with the brain to pick out balls with the right weight when Rashford is making them runs. Özil all day but someone of Eriksen’s or De Bruyne’s ilk... which obviously is few and far between.

Utdstar01

Think we will try Zlatan in the 10 if Mkhi keeps playing like shit? Surely can't be any worse.

MrBest

I think the squad as it is (considers pogba fellaini & ibra injured), is good enough to get top 4. I think some games they will score 2 plus and others they will grind. Bring pogba and fellaini back into the mix and we have a very very strong midfield, perhaps the best in the prem. Matic and pogba compliment each other massively. I was critical of pogba last year but as many mentioned here, he needed someone to cover him which allows him to roam free. Fellaini had been brilliant until his injury. A great cover and great sub. We miss them both badly.

When ibra is back, he will ease the pressure of having to keep martial and rashford on the bench. At the moment we cannot afford to have both start as we don't have a good game changer to call on. Lingard is simply not good enough and for me he is there to make up the numbers. Mata is losing pace and clearly getting older but i feel for him not being able to roam in his favoured 10 position. This season has made me really think about Ander, what does he really offer? I think he makes a good squad player but hes not a starter. Then there is mkh, clearly has great talent but it's not rosey for him. I think we really need Andreas pierra back. I would rather see him start from Jan onwards in that number 10 than buy ozil. I dont care if we finish 2nd or 3rd if it means we see more of him. Next season will be the season. A better martial and rashford, hopefully a new striker and lukaku becoming sharper on the ball. A pogba in his prime and matic using his experience. Defence is sorted for the next 2 seasons. Jones and Bailey starters with tomo smalling and tuanzabe as back up. Valencia and young can keep full backs. I've been so impressed with youngs work rate.

Buying a player is not always the answer. Sometimes you just need time and it's clear that something good is being brewed up. Confidence is creeping back, unbeaten at OT andbour away form looking strong. Results first and then style. Getting that winning mentality is so much harder to adjust to than changing the style of play. Look at Liverpool and klopp, unplayable at times but no winning mentality, they cannot grind a win on a bad day. 38 games in a season and is expect 30% of them to be off days.

sully1

Say what you want but Ozil in this team would offer more then Miki does currently

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No because one player doesn't solve the main issues. We lack off the ball movement, specially knowing when to give support to a player, when to make the right runs and we lack the ability to release the ball at the right moments. One player doesn't solve that I'm sorry.
Thing is, what does solve that, and why does it need solving? Mkhitarian has been coached at Dortmund who play excellent attacking football. Lukaku's movement is fine. Rashford's movement is good and our youth coaches have coached him in this regard. Martial could improve I suppose. Mata is fine. Lingard is fine. Yet our movement is lacking?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Thing is, what does solve that, and why does it need solving? Mkhitarian has been coached at Dortmund who play excellent attacking football. Lukaku's movement is fine. Rashford's movement is good and our youth coaches have coached him in this regard. Martial could improve I suppose. Mata is fine. Lingard is fine. Yet our movement is lacking?
Yes it is, about as blatant as it comes. You're mentioning what our players can do individually yet there is no real attacking chemistry. It's about how we orchestrate attacks, adding a new player won't improve things much if the baseline of our game sucks.

yo@Kirk

I don't see how the team gets better by next Sunday unless we do something different with the players that will be available next Sunday. I'm not counting on Pogba or Fellaini to be available next Sunday or Mata, Mhki, and an assortment of players playing out of position at fullback making the team better next Sunday.

Play a back 3 with Valencia, Bailly, and Jones to match up with Chelsea's mobile attack. In the midfield 4, Lingard at right wingback to replace Valencia. Jesse won the right wingback job for LVG's EPL debut in 2014 but injured a knee after 24' and didn't play for United the rest of the season. Promote Demetri Mitchell from the reserves to provide cover at wingback and forward. At #10 behind Lukaku and Rashford, replace Mhki with Martial because Mourinho thinks Martial plays well between the lines and his minutes per goal and assist ratio is best in the EPL. I think Martial's attitude will change if he knows a position is his to win.