Do we want to lose to City?

Cargsy

Screw other teams, it's all about United. Couldn't care less about anyone else.

The creation of this thread shows how far our team and expectations have fallen.

Last edited:

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
This is such a terrible mentality. Like a small club saying we are probably not going to win the cup so let's just get knocked out in the first round.

Next season we might as well give points to Spurs and Chelsea if they are ahead of us since the odds of them stopping Liverpool is higher if we can't win the league and champions league don't matter.
Call it what you want, but Im not buying into this fairytale shit of winning a champions league when we are a mile off even competing at all.

Unitedsince85

When push comes to shove of course we should all want utd to win tonight, seeing them lose to city at any point if the season is hard to take, at least tonight if we lose there is a silver lining !!!

Spielmacher

"I want to lose to Manchester City because I don't care where Manchester United finish on the table" is mutually exclusive with "I want players who fight hard for Manchester United".
Not really, most fans are not bothered by this one game, because of the possible further implications it could have for them personally if Liverpool win the league after so many years, which is perfectly understandable if you ask me. That doesn't make them not Manchester United fans. We want the team to give everything in every game, not just big derbys, when the limelight is on them. Even if we'd miraculously beat or draw against City, many would argue that we'd still manage to not land in the Top 4, because of our recent very worrying not just results, but performances over all.

lsd

The Oracle
I will hate the team and Ole if we win tonight. Handing the title to Liverpool. No thanks. I dont give a rats ass about top 4 or any principles/morales/winning mentality etc etc

I expect the team to lose and if they dont, as much as i love Ole, he will always be seen as the manager who handed Liverpool the title in my eyes. And that is something i do not wish on anyone.

Throw the game, ashley young with 2 own goals. thanks very much. F*ck Liverpool

So how can you be a utd fan as that is just so messed up ?

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
We don't deserve top 4 in our current form, I would be quite happy dropping out of the champions league for a season in order for us to rebuild and fix the team. Put the kids in Europa league, let them have the experience.

Qualification for the champions league will just paper over our huge cracks and let the players get away with it. We won't do any better than this season too.

On the other hand, beat city tonight and it would almost guarantee the scousers league.

I don't think I could imagine a worse summer than listening to them harping on about the win, the TV media coverage and then on into next season.

Thankfully we are crap so tonight will most likely be about keeping the score down.

I don't think I'll even watch tonight, I don't want Utd to lose, but I don't want the Scousers to win the league. The best option, City beat us 1 nil.

Nickosaur

I care about Uniteds future success, than Liverpool winning the league.

We need the top 4.
We don't need top 4.

But we need to attract the world's best players! Yeah, because more overpriced, overpaid and overrated stars are EXACTLY what we need more of.
But we'll lose out on a tonne of money! Good. Being the richest club in the world means nothing if you continue to spunk it up the wall every year without any discernible plan or strategy. There are clubs outperforming us on a quarter of our turnover. Money isn't everything.
But we need to remain relevant in Europe! We're a joke on the european stage. We're getting spanked by teams in our back yard. Theo fecking Walcott scored against us last week. Let's focus there first?

The club needs a hard reset.

Bwuk

We don't need top 4.

But we need to attract the world's best players! Yeah, because more overpriced, overpaid and overrated stars are EXACTLY what we need more of.
But we'll lose out on a tonne of money! Good. Being the richest club in the world means nothing if you continue to spunk it up the wall every year without any discernible plan or strategy. There are clubs outperforming us on a quarter of our turnover. Money isn't everything.
But we need to remain relevant in Europe! We're a joke on the european stage. We're getting spanked by teams in our back yard. Theo fecking Walcott scored against us last week. Let's focus there first?

The club needs a hard reset.
I'm not talking about the financial need to be in the top 4.

The best sides in the world play in the Champions League.

At what other top side would playing in the Europa be remotely acceptable? I can't see Madrid, Bayern, PSG, Juventus etc ever accepting that. I wouldn't say we are a joke on the European stage, we put PSG out and reached the quarter finals. If we'd drawn Porto as Liverpool did, I reckon we'd be in the semi finals.

I agree that we need a reset, but we can do that whilst playing in the Champions League.

Lowkey

So how can you be a utd fan as that is just so messed up ?
I guess my hatred for Liverpool runs deep. Let's not forget when Gerrard passed the ball to Drogba and basically did the same thing.

They have done it before and would do it again in a heartbeat. So don't give me this not a United fan bollocks. I don't want Liverpool to win the league in my lifetime. I don't care what it takes. If we have the opportunity to deny them, then we should take it

lsd

The Oracle
I guess my hatred for Liverpool runs deep. Let's not forget when Gerrard passed the ball to Drogba and basically did the same thing.

They have done it before and would do it again in a heartbeat. So don't give me this not a United fan bollocks. I don't want Liverpool to win the league in my lifetime. I don't care what it takes. If we have the opportunity to do that, then we should take it

I love utd a lot more than I hate liverpool and I feel the same about city as I do liverpool.

I will be very happy to deny city a title and read all about on blue moon over the summer

Welsh_Wizard74

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think the question is do you want to lose to City.

As a Liverpool fan, I have the opinion that the Man Utd players are already on holiday. I really can't see Man Utd beating City, and that's not being disrespectful just a sad fact.

At Liverpool we have had endless end of season games where our players had nothing to play for and just couldn't be arsed.

Personally I expect Burnley and Leicester to give Man City harder games than the one tonight, they have got worse players but in SD and BR they both have managers who will demand 100%.

I don't get the feeling that Ole is prepared to demand or get the same response tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smores

"I want to lose to Manchester City because I don't care where Manchester United finish on the table" is mutually exclusive with "I want players who fight hard for Manchester United".
I'm pretty sure you're not from the UK judging from past conversations in the Brexit thread. It's one thing to share your own opinion but maybe refrain from judging local fans when you clearly don't understand the motives behind their opinions.

Plus your arguments bollocks, people want them to fight but the whole purpose of this thread is that this is an exceptional case.

stepic

They have done it before and would do it again in a heartbeat. So don't give me this not a United fan bollocks. I don't want Liverpool to win the league in my lifetime. I don't care what it takes. If we have the opportunity to deny them, then we should take it
you hate Liverpool more than you love United. you've said it yourself. it's ridiculous.

stepic

put it this way, if the roles were reversed, you just know United fans would be calling Liverpool fans smalltime for wishing us to lose instead of backing their top 4 chances.

Danny

The reality is that Liverpool are set to win the league sometime soon. If not this season then soon after. It will happen. It will be horrible but I've come to peace with it.

Not sure why United fans would want United to lose. Plus, at least it would prevent City winning two in a row.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I love utd a lot more than I hate liverpool and I feel the same about city as I do liverpool.

I will be very happy to deny city a title and read all about on blue moon over the summer
Again, this is not about trading a United title for Liverpool not winning a title, the remote possibility of a United CL place vs a almost certain Liverpool CL title is an easy choice.

I hope you enjoy yourself when Liverpool fans rub it in for decades to come. :mad:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What does it say ?
THIS IS AN OPEN LETTER FOR THE MANCHESTER UNITED
BOARD MEMBERS, PLAYERS & FANS

On 14th May 1995, Blackburn Rovers under the leadership of Kenny Dalglish arrived at Anfield on the last day of the 1994/95 season with a two point lead over Manchester United on 89 points but with a worse goal difference, which meant that if United, on 87 points, won at Upton Park versus West Ham United, and Blackburn failed to win at Anfield then Manchester United would be crowned Champions of England.

This left many Liverpool fans with a predicament, if they supported the Reds and roared them on to victory and United won at West Ham it could mean handing the title to arch rivals Man United.

So what happened on the day???

Liverpool & their fans, despite knowing victory could mean handing the title to United, duly went out and beat Blackburn 2-1 at Anfield with a late goal from Jamie Redknapp, and what was surprising when you consider the heated rivalry between Manchester United & Liverpool is that the crowd at Anfield that day roared the Reds on to victory despite knowing the consequences.

As it happened, Manchester United could only manage a 1-1 draw at Upton Park & Blackburn Rovers were duly crowned 1994/95 Premier League champions.

Despite our sometimes heated rivalry, I & many Liverpool supporters have the utmost respect for Manchester United.

Both our clubs have had our fair share of tragedy as well as glory. Manchester United suffering the terrible Munich air disaster back in 1958 which wiped out many players from the legendary "Busby Babes" including the one & only Duncan Edwards.
Liverpool suffering the loss of 96 supporters in the tragedy at Hillsborough in 1989 which still has repercussions to this day with the families of the bereaved still fighting for justice 30 years later.

Both clubs are the most successful English teams in the history of English football, Manchester United crowned 20 times English champions, Liverpool standing on 18 titles in their 127 year history. Liverpool - five times European Champions, Manchester United winning Europe's top prize three times.

Both clubs have achieved success through countless years of hard work, graft, top management & brilliant boardroom decisions which have brought three famous Scotsmen to their respective clubs, Liverpool appointing the legendary Bill Shankly in December 1959, and United appointing Matt Busby in 1945 and then later approaching Aberdeen in November 1986 to take Alex Ferguson to Old Trafford.........the rest as they say is history.

Neither Liverpool Football Club nor Manchester United had the benefit of rich billionaire benefactors pumping millions & millions of oil money in to the club which has seen Manchester City, who up to that time were barely known outside the UK, attracting many of the worlds mercenary footballers to the Etihad to ply their trade.

Both Manchester United & Liverpool FC have millions of fans throughout the world, this worldwide support has been achieved through decades of countless successes achieved both at home & abroad and has NOT been bought by a billionaire benefactor.

Both clubs are admired & respected throughout the world for their many past glories both at home & abroad, with both clubs having hundreds fan clubs throughout the world on all five continents, something which Manchester City despite their recent success will NEVER achieve.

My message to all Manchester United fans, players & boardroom members is a simple one......please remember what Liverpool fans & players did for you in 1995 and go forward and roar your team to a famous Manchester Derby victory versus City because whatever you think of Liverpool Football Club, we really are closer than you think.

Cal?

CR7 fan
put it this way, if the roles were reversed, you just know United fans would be calling Liverpool fans smalltime for wishing us to lose instead of backing their top 4 chances.
I'd much rather be called small time and enjoy their title-less run head into a 4th decade than have them rub in the fact he handed them the title.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The reality is that Liverpool are set to win the league sometime soon. If not this season then soon after. It will happen. It will be horrible but I've come to peace with it.

Not sure why United fans would want United to lose. Plus, at least it would prevent City winning two in a row.
I'm not convinced it "will" happen soon, their team could be dismantled by Real Madrid come July.

Even if you think they'd win it sooner or later, wouldn't later be much more preferable?

Bestietom

This is a terrible question to put to fans. I never thought that any fan would want to lose a game no matter who or what it means. We need to win ALL 4 games to have a chance of top 4. That's all that should matter.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I doubt it. When the money actually hits, it's totally different. Me and my friend out of law school was recruited by a family firm giving us a starting salary more than we ever dreamed of. We were all in for the first 3 years and telling people around us that we would rather work with a family firm than one of those 'corporate suit' firms that pay double. That offer came last year for the both of us. Essentially giving us a real chance to eventually be in the top 0.5% of individual income nationwide. We both took the offers immediately.

Even if I was one day making 5 Million Dollars a year. If the offer came for 10 Million and I had to abandon a wonderful company to work for a corporate oil sleeze company. I would in a instant. So will 99% of the population. We only think 5 Million is enough and no way we want more because we never made 5 million. Once you are making 5 Million a year, you will want to make 10.
That’s you’re choice.

I already work in research science and could double my salary working in pharmaceutical but I’d rather not. It’s not the be all end all for me, so yeah 100k a week at United rather than 200k at city would be easy call to make.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Young fans will not remember this. They also believe City is a bigger rival than Liverpool.
That was 9 years ago, it really wasn't that long.

Also we really haven't been much or a rival to City since Sir Alex retired. :(

Lowkey

you hate Liverpool more than you love United. you've said it yourself. it's ridiculous.
because i dont want liverpool to win the title in my lifetime makes me hate liverpool more than i love united? ye, good one.

The media love-in with Liverpool is so cringe too. The press are so desperate for Liverpool to win the league and you lot are lapping it up

Devil may care

No, because the cock ups of Arsenal and Chelsea have left the door open for top 4, however I'd rather we lost than drew as a draw does nothing for us and will make Liverpool league winners, a thought far worse than Plastic FC winning another one.

Morpheus 7

This is the worst situation we've been in since I've supporting the club. There is no great outcome out of this. I simply don't trust this group of players to get top 4 even if we beat city, it's out of our control anyway but don't trust us to get maximum points. I'm sorry but I know far too many annoying Liverpool cnts where I live, could be a long long Summer. I know Liverpool done us a favour when we messed up on the final day in the early 90's. I also remember them laying down against Chelsea at anfield when we were in a close race, slippy G hitting the most dodgy backpass that led to a goal. His reaction after was as out of character as his pass. In short, Liverpool winning the league brings them one behind us. People haven't discussed the real possibility of them winning the double. People say you should focus on your own team, I am in the long term. A league and champions league could be devastating to catching up, considering how far behind we are now.

I'm not saying I want the Europa league but a few of the rats could force there way off the ship. There is something rotten in that dressing room and it needs gutting out. We really need players who want to be here going forward, too many not on the same page. If I hear the word response aimed at this group again I'm going to implode. Getting battered by Barca 3.0 with barely a shot then the Everton response.
My last point on City winning tonight is this, City winning the league this year means nothing now. They have spent over a billion of oil money on a side that haven't got even close to a European trophy. They can't even fill there stadium, it's as empty as Chelsea's success. Liverpool is our bigger rival and don't want them winning anything.

Ooh ahh Paul McGrath

I'd rather take a season or two away from European football until Solskjaer has the team he wants and players who fit into his vision. No point trying to get 4th only to crash out early next season. We simply aren't good enough for the champions league right now and there is no shame in admitting that. Teams have to rebuild, we can't always be dominant. We haven't been dominant since Fergie left. Serious rebuilding needs to be done and Rome wasn't built in a day.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
bullshit.

the Newcastle game is wedged between the two Barca CL games, and Wolves already knocked them out of the FA Cup earlier in the season. unlikely maybe, but not impossible they drop points.
No, it is impossible Liverpool that drop points in that game. Even if Liverpool rested players for the Barca games (they won't, the league is too important), even if Benitez was desperate to beat them (he won't be, he knows how important the league is to them) and even if Newcastle had a fully fit squad (lost Almiron and Schar in their last game), Liverpool will still not drop points here. And the least said about Wolves since the last United game the better, especially with that game being at Anfield and Conor Coady being their captain. This is Liverpool's year, and they will finish on 97 points. The only hope is City win all their games as well, otherwise it's 2005 all over again :nono: