Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Something tells me this deal is almost closed. I don't see Real Madrid announcing 4 attackers are leaving without signing a few replacements first.
And with Asensio, one of them was the only left footed attacking player in the team if I'm not mistaken?

Would make sense. Madrid could probably sign Havertz quite cheaply and chances are he'll perform much better in a different environment. His playing style also fits Madrid much better than Chelsea. And in principal, I imagine he would slot into the Benzema role much better than in the role of the lone striker at Chelsea since Benzema himself participated so much in the build up and creation department.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
His technical level is probably the biggest myth about him as a player. He can look like prime Berbatov two or three times in a season, especially in big matches in the cups. But for the rest of the season he can't dribble, gets caught in possession continuously, can't pass, no awareness of anyone around him. He lacks any of the basics of football for an attacking player on a consistent basis.

Your opinion of him has probably been skewed as he's performed well against Madrid a few times. Over the course of his 3 years here I'd struggle to name over a dozen matches he's actually done well in. A lot of people will point to him playing out of position but at the end of the day a supposed top young player should be able to atleast do the basics and contribute in some meaningful way.
Thank you for the summary. It sounds bleak :lol:
In any case it seems that the three bosses : Florentino, J.A.S(CEO) and Juni Calafat (scout) want to sign him.
I guess to play on the right, although I don't know.
Between Kai and Gnabry/Sané, who I really don't like too much, I'd rather bet on Havertz

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
In any case it seems that the three bosses : Florentino, J.A.S(CEO) and Juni Calafat (scout) want to sign him.
Between Kai and Gnabry/Sané, who I really don't like too much, I'd rather bet on Havertz
That’s insane, Gnabry and Sane are both levels above Havertz. Crazy signing for Madrid.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think that statement is a bit over the top as Havertz advanced statistics on link up play and ball progression are actually excellent for a striker. Top 7% in passes attempted, top 6% in pass completion, top 9% in progressive passes, top 18% in progressive carries, top 12% in progressive passes received. I assume stuff like this gets overlooked when the team is in a general crisis and you don't score, especially in the EPL where fans and pundits generally seem a bit more focused on output and less on technically clean football.

Since Madrid generally has enough CMs, I assume you actually intend for him to replace Benzema as a false 9.

Supports
Chelsea
I think that statement is a bit over the top as Havertz advanced statistics on link up play and ball progression are actually excellent for a striker. Top 7% in passes attempted, top 6% in pass completion, top 9% in progressive passes, top 18% in progressive carries, top 12% in progressive passes received. I assume stuff like this gets overlooked when the team is in a general crisis and you don't score, especially in the EPL where fans and pundits generally seem a bit more focused on output and less on technically clean football.

Since Madrid generally has enough CMs, I assume you actually intend for him to replace Benzema as a false 9.
I have thought this about him for the entire time he's been here, not just this season. I absolutely love someone who even if they don't score or assist, their quality still shines through in matches. That's just not the case with Havertz, and no stats brought up will change that. He's been a passenger most of the time.

We've had the likes of Willian, Hazard who even if they didn't score or assist were absolute class on the ball. Going further back when Anelka was playing second fiddle to Drogba off of the wing, fantastic ball retention and dribbling. Havertz doesn't do it, not even remotely consistently atleast.

Realismo

Supports
Real Madrid
I really don't rate this dude, 70 million....:houllier:

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would be excited to see how he does in Madrid, but honestly I hope it's not as a striker because he simply isn't that.

Idxomer

I would give it 2 months before the Madrid crowd starts booing him.

Rolaholic

Would be excited to see how he does in Madrid, but honestly I hope it's not as a striker because he simply isn't that.
Me too, hate how he's been forced there by managers in England when he's clearly not that.

Could see Ancelotti utilizing him a bit more like he was at Bayer maybe as a 2nd striker to Kane or even at the 10 if they opt to field a young midfield next season with Bellingham in it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How?!

I simply do not understand how Chelsea and other clubs are able to command top dollar for their flops, whilst we will struggle to shift Maguire for £30 million.
Well ... how many of United's starters would Real Madrid sign for (more or less) serious money?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
How?!

I simply do not understand how Chelsea and other clubs are able to command top dollar for their flops, whilst we will struggle to shift Maguire for £30 million.
There's flops and there's flops. You can't compare Havertz to Maguire. Let's see if Chelsea can get shot of Koulibali or Cucurella, those are our "Maguires", not Havertz.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Real Madrid just like giving money to Chelsea for shit players, don't they?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I knew there was a reason I liked Real Madrid more than Barcelona.

In all seriousness though, I hope he flourishes there. He has all the tools and ability to be great. He just needs the right coach and the right environment. I’ll be rooting for him.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Not saying he doesn't have the potential to do better in different circumstances, but this is one of those "failing upwards" signings that you usually only see underperforming players from the biggest football nations benefit from. If Havertz was from a small/mid-tier footballing country, far more likely he'd be off to another midtable team somewhere, or back home, and would have to actually play very well to get another chance at a bigger club.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
How?!

Age is a massive factor in that. Havertz is 24 and still has room to improve while Maguire is in his 30's now

RVN1991

Has been bang average every single time I've seen him with Chelsea and Germany (similar to Mount) but have a feeling he'll do well at Madrid.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Has been played out of position nearly constantly. Still think there is a really good player there as a 10.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
How do Chelsea keep doing it? He's been pretty terrible for th considering the price they paid. Yes he has talent, yes he's not in his best position. But he's done nothing in the last 2 seasons to make Real think "Yeah, that's who we want to replace Benzema."

But here they are, paying a nice sum to replace Benzema with him whilst giving Chelsea a lovely chunk of change to help them in any FFP issues they might have after spending £600m in 12 months.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We wouldn’t even get half of what we paid for Sancho back, not even if he agreed to reduce his wages to 180/200 k.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How do Chelsea keep doing it? He's been pretty terrible for th considering the price they paid. Yes he has talent, yes he's not in his best position. But he's done nothing in the last 2 seasons to make Real think "Yeah, that's who we want to replace Benzema."

But here they are, paying a nice sum to replace Benzema with him whilst giving Chelsea a lovely chunk of change to help them in any FFP issues they might have after spending £600m in 12 months.
We often sell when there's still a "grey area", ie while underwhelming they've done just about enough to potentially convince a buyer things may work with a change of scenery.

We don't always get it right mind, we've kept Pulisic around to the point we may struggle to give him away whereas if we put him on the market in 2021 we may have got a bite.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
This is beyond stupid. What the hell is going on.

mu4c_20le

He's still a pretty good player and scores tons of goals for his country. Maybe Chelsea is the problem.

Kaos

Who has been the better player in he and Sancho in the PL?
Havertz and its not even close IMO. He helped Chelsea win the CL and has pretty much been their top scorer for two seasons. What has Sancho done of note during his time here? My only notable memory was his goal against Liverpool.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Think he’d flourish in a team like Real Madrid or Bayern. Places where the scoring burden isn’t solely on his shoulders and where he’s got chances being created for him constantly.

Of the massive numbers of players we’re binning this summer Havertz is the one that I’ll miss the most. Could just never get him into a consistent position. Him going to a more stable side and playing in a fixed position will do him well.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We often sell when there's still a "grey area", ie while underwhelming they've done just about enough to potentially convince a buyer things may work with a change of scenery.

We don't always get it right mind, we've kept Pulisic around to the point we may struggle to give him away whereas if we put him on the market in 2021 we may have got a bite.
Selling at the right time is key, that's true.