Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This is the problem we are going to continue to have at this club. Ole isn't blameless with tactics etc but we've got people at this club who don't understand football buying players our manager didn't want.

No way was Donny n Cavani on Ole's list going into the summer. We have a shambolic recruitment team who will make it hard for any manager to be successful here.

Moyes, LVG, Jose n now Ole all had issues with Woodward. He's a joker.

SemiPro

Feel sorry for the fella. Must be wondering how he’s not getting more game time with the way the team are playing.

Devil may care

Played where I've been wanting to see him play today, he protects the ball well and his passing was crisp and astute. His movement off the ball offensively and defensively is class.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Still can't believe we took him off. Was the only one who was actually completing passes. Moment he went off, we went to freestyle football

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Definitely getting the new player treatment on here. He's utterly forgettable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He is a nice, tidy player who in a good team singing from the same sheet would be valuable. However Utd are all about individual quality and individual moments and he doesn't seem to be that type of player, needs to expand his passing range and look for more incisive options to stay in the team.
Not these days we aren’t.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He is a nice, tidy player who in a good team singing from the same sheet would be valuable. However Utd are all about individual quality and individual moments and he doesn't seem to be that type of player, needs to expand his passing range and look for more incisive options to stay in the team.
Sorry but we need to be a team. We are in a mess because we rely on individual moments. Why not just play properly.

soapythecat

This is the problem we are going to continue to have at this club. Ole isn't blameless with tactics etc but we've got people at this club who don't understand football buying players our manager didn't want.

No way was Donny n Cavani on Ole's list going into the summer. We have a shambolic recruitment team who will make it hard for any manager to be successful here.

I keep hearing the VdB wasn’t Ole’s choice, but why would Woody buy him at £45m? Makes no sense - he’s hardly going to sell shirts by the bucket load. What’s his USP? He had to be on Ole’s shopping list because it makes no sense to blow that much on a pointless buy.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He needs to leave in January for the sake of his career. Ole and the club is going to ruin him.

I wouldn't blame him one bit if he left. Good on him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm pretty sure we were promised Sancho, so he settled for VdB as a Lingard replacement. However, Woody couldn't get any signing over the line so he just desperately overpaid for this guy and brought in Cavani (big name) and two youngsters to make it seem like an acceptable window. Woody is making all sorts of irrational decisions and it's neither the players or the managers fault. Hopefully though, VdB will be useful to us longterm.

DomesticTadpole

I keep hearing the VdB wasn’t Ole’s choice, but why would Woody buy him at £45m? Makes no sense - he’s hardly going to sell shirts by the bucket load. What’s his USP? He had to be on Ole’s shopping list because it makes no sense to blow that much on a pointless buy.
He rang Donny to persuade him to sign.

Web of Bissaka

So he like to make way too many back passes.
The kind of thing the caf annoyed with... remember Herrera's back passes? not yet turning on him? still on the pity side?

Anyway the way he play is just not fitting with the current individual style of play of United and the fact that we're badly coached meant we're not pulling out the best of his abilities. His abilities is best suitable in team play... which we're not, we're rubbish at it. Need different manager to set that up.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Played where I've been wanting to see him play today, he protects the ball well and his passing was crisp and astute. His movement off the ball offensively and defensively is class.
This. It wasn't an outstanding performance, but he did all the basics and made it look simple, which our other midfielders don't seem to be able to do.

He's just always available, and doesn't need 5 touches or some slow motion stepovers to control the ball and pass it again.

DomesticTadpole

This. It wasn't an outstanding performance, but he did all the basics and made it look simple, which our other midfielders don't seem to be able to do.

He's just always available, and doesn't need 5 touches or some slow motion stepovers to control the ball and pass it again.
He is probably the only technically good footballer we have. The others have a lot of weaknesses. Again they have moments of brilliance but can be liabilities as well. You need the likes of Donny in your side. The successful sides all have a player who goes under the radar.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

Yep, tend to agree with you.
I think Ole is desperately trying to fit Pogba into the team, and its most certainly not working, he was very poor tonight, whereas VDB looked good on the ball, and moved it very nicely to bring other players into the game. So even though I think your analysis is correct, and VDB wasn't Ole's choice, I would certainly pick him over Pogba.

Devil may care

Simplicity definitely has it's merits and I think once the other players get used to him and gets on his wavelength he can be an important piece in the puzzle as many times tonight he made a quick pass into feet, moved into space for the return and didn't get a pass.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

Agree. Would certainly play him instead of Pogba, possibly alongside McTominay or Fred, or in front of both of them against top sides. His first touch and movement is excellent, and I'm sure we will improve as a team if we play him regularly.

DomesticTadpole

Simplicity definitely has it's merits and I think once the other players get used to him and gets on his wavelength he can be an important piece in the puzzle as many times tonight he made a quick pass into feet, moved into space for the return and didn't get a pass.
That is serious lack of awareness. Not the first time it has happened. You wonder if they watch games back and if any of the coaches say to look out for where Donny is moving.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yep, tend to agree with you.
I think Ole is desperately trying to fit Pogba into the team, and its most certainly not working, he was very poor tonight, whereas VDB looked good on the ball, and moved it very nicely to bring other players into the game. So even though I think your analysis is correct, and VDB wasn't Ole's choice, I would certainly pick him over Pogba.
Some pundits have repeatedly stated that Pogba was a woodward signing. I suspect this to be true.

I think the next manager has to get rid of Pogba and a few others like Lingard and Mata.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He was tidy And kept the ball well. The amount of times he was ignored despite making a good run was very frustrating.
I would like to see him in this position again next to Fred.

tomaldinho1

So are we just ignoring the fact Ole personally convinced Donny to join and outlined how he'd play as a 10? This is a man who wanted Longstaff...

el3mel

There was no way we were paying 80m for Grealish. VDB seems to be the second or third option on the list of midfielders we wanted, and he's still a very good player. The problem is Ole seems to have absolutely no clue how to use him considering he's apparently now not his first option

So this unfortunately might end up being a waste of money despite how very good he's, unless the next manager manage to utilize him properly, as I don't think Ole will.

izec

As i said, Ajax made him look better than he is. Getting exposed here, especially since we have no coaching and he needs that to be effective. Complete waste under Ole

Superunknown

Sorry but we need to be a team. We are in a mess because we rely on individual moments. Why not just play properly.
Completely agree with this. We lack cohesion because we are virtually 11 individuals who are thrown onto a pitch together in the same coloured shirt and are expected to just magically score goals and play gorgeous football. From what I've seen, VDB looks like a team player. We need a team, not individuals who are expected to do it all themselves. There have been countless times in a game where he's moved into a position or gestured for the ball and has been ignored. We can't seem to see that bigger picture that this is a team game and that the aim is to score goals.

Devil may care

That is serious lack of awareness. Not the first time it has happened. You wonder if they watch games back and if any of the coaches say to look out for where Donny is moving.
I've wondered for a while what we do in training, the lack of movement in general with our team has been suspect for a while.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He wasn't particularly good, but he also wasn't bad (which in itself made him one of our better players overall).

He did enough that I'd like to see him next to Fred at some point. Two players who are constantly moving, making themselves available and happy to make a short pass and move.

arnie_ni

He's hardly gettinf exposed. If anything its exposing the others how they can't do the simple basics well
As i said, Ajax made him look better than he is. Getting exposed here, especially since we have no coaching and he needs that to be effective. Complete waste under Ole

My assessment of VdB so far is that he’s a good player but not suited to United, at least in our current carnation.

Being a product of Ajax, he’s used to playing in an extremely well drilled set-up with focus on quick, one-touch passing but done so with regard for highly efficient technique to ensure ball retention. The trouble is, in this team if he lays off a one touch pass and makes a run anticipating a quick fire return, most of the receivers will likely put their foot on the ball, take several touches and then lay it sideways or backwards to a player that’ll do the exact same.

He'sRaldo

Style of play reminds me of Modric. He'll be a good player for sure, but needs to be utilized well.

binary bot
Disappointing first half but our best player in the second when moved deeper. We had a better shape and Mata and Bruno were finding space centrally. Then the subs completely undid the halftime improvements.

ghagua

VdB knows how to play football properly because he was brought up in the Ajax system. Shame that the rest of our players don't know how to pass to an open player. VdB did everything to get free whenever he could and stood around as the ball did not come to him. That is a coaching issue that should have been addressed a long time ago.

SambaBoy

So far, he's what I expected. He's not going to stand out massively, just a decent player who'll have some great games but be steady for the most part. Herrera II albeit different sort of player.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I had made the same comment previously that we're bringing him in slowly and that is probably for the best for some of the status of the other options in the team but I'm pretty much okay with him being picked ahead of Pogba as part of the pecking order and having Pogba now win his spot back from both Bruno and VdB. He just fits better, moves it better and is more mobile and combative at 8. I'm not expecting it soon but I think by the end of the season if Pogba was to be/were to be leaving then he should just be promoted up to first team with no issue.

Eddy_JukeZ

Style of play reminds me of Modric. He'll be a good player for sure, but needs to be utilized well.
Modric is a far superior ball carrier than him.

That said, I highly doubt Donny will thrive in our current set-up. We needed a midfielder that was more-so a ball carrier than another 'give and go' midfielder.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Disappointing first half but our best player in the second when moved deeper. We had a better shape and Mata and Bruno were finding space centrally. Then the subs completely undid the halftime improvements.
Did you watch the halves the wrong way around or something? he played CM next to Matic pretty much the whole half, only swapped with Bruno for like 2 minutes when he went deeper to get the ball.

He was our best player last night, he knitted the play together well but it broke down at the top end every single time.

I think he was the only one with a passing % over 85 which is frankly ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.