5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Ole seems hellbent on only using him as an attacker, shame. Our shape was non existant by the time he came on, we were so cluttered.

RedorDead21

Manager doesn’t trust you from the start. Goal down and team looking clueless. Manager then sees you as the answer with less than 20 mins left. Kinda makes no sense.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Is there a way to VdB, Bruno, and Mata on the pitch together? That sounds like fun, potentially: all people with good close control and vision for a pass.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can't really see a situation where Pogba should start ahead of him to be honest.

Maybe a game against Shrewsbury...but apart from that

The Real Treble 99

So when VDB comes on we did the most pressing in the last 20 than the whole of the game. So I don’t understand why Ole brings him on sooo late.

Shark

@NotShark
Maybe we're waiting for him to forget everything he learned at Ajax so he can play our style of football.
That's usually how it works isn't it? even Fernandes seems to have had all the class sucked out of him this past while.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Not phasing him in for Pogba now is actively sabotaging the team.

Pogba is gone next summer. Start playing a younger, more energetic, eager to impress, very talented player in his place now for the love of fecking Christ.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He doesn't want to press.

Drop back > encourage opposition > wait for mistakes/counter attack.
By which time we might be already behind and woe betide us coming up against somebody who doesn't make a mistake. Is this the United Way, never felt like that.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This place makes me laugh.

We cry out for quality in depth.

We buy quality in depth and then complain that we don’t start our players bought for depth.

We can’t start everyone!

RedCafe is NEVER fecking happy, this places depresses me and is the cesspit of everything that a modern day Man Utd fan claims to be. Never happy, never satisfied. Even if United won the league there’d be someone on here trying to take the shine off of it and claiming x y and z reasons as to why we won it. Oh the teams around us dropped off, oh liverpool lost VDB, oh blah blah blah blah blah.

I hope that if Poch comes in and the wheels come off there would still be the clamour for the manager to go.

Seems as though this place is ALWAYS looking at the grass is always greener and never at what we currently have.

Heck, VDB didn’t exactly light the world alight against Leipzig

hungrywing

That's usually how it works isn't it? even Fernandes seems to have had all the class sucked out of him this past while.
The fact that he's lasted longer than normal indicates he was strong. (i'm half-kidding I think Bruno's the type to never really lose it)

You could see the signs in literally his first game. Remember when he came on and was pointing for people to run and where they should be standing. There's only so much of that he can do before the 'ffs it isn't my job to be pointing this stuff out!' settles in like concrete.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

We buy quality in depth and then complain that we don’t start our players bought for depth.

We can’t start everyone!

RedCafe is NEVER fecking happy, this places depresses me and is the cesspit of everything that a modern day Man Utd fan claims to be. Never happy, never satisfied. Even if United won the league there’d be someone on here trying to take the shine off of it and claiming x y and z reasons as to why we won it. Oh the teams around us dropped off, oh liverpool lost VDB, oh blah blah blah blah blah.

I hope that if Poch comes in and the wheels come off there would still be the clamour for the manager to go.

Seems as though this place is ALWAYS looking at the grass is always greener and never at what we currently have.

He played well again Leipzig. He plays well against the press, keeps the ball, finds space and moves the ball on. He was perfect for today's game against funny enough, another side who pressed.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think he's an impact sub. He needs to be on the same wavelength as the rest of the team to be effective.

From now on, I hope he will be ahead of Pogba in the pecking order. Not because I rate Donny so high (still quite sceptical), but because Pogba is not good enough. And I rate him higher as an impact sub.

Crashoutcassius

The kagawa of 2020

A good young player but people in here are attributing mythical qualities to his game, that he just understands football on some cosmic level.

Not looking for an argument but it is cringe in here at the moment. A good player brought it to rotate with other good players. Our problems aren't about formation or individual player selection

MS4

Liverpool bought Jota 40M even though they have Mane, Firmino and Salah.
We can't start everyone, please accept that, neither are we a Fifa-Team where we just start players with the highest rating.

Can7onA

There is two scenarios with VDB imo.

1, He sits it out and waits for Pogba to leave/be kicked out/benched.

2, He has to watch Pogba half arse around the pitch, give the ball away, not track back, get out muscled, give away penalties...............................

And he thinks feck this, I'm out of here first opportunity I get and I wouldn't blame him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Looked our best player when he came on. Rarely ever gives the ball away and can actually control it, moves into space lovely.

Dunno WTF Ole and the coaches are seeing.

JG3001

We can’t start everyone!

many people have answered this question already, Fernandes & Pogba shouldn’t be starting together (I’d argue Pogba shouldn’t be starting full stop but that’s a different discussion).

Anybody can make the same changes time and again with 15-20 mins to go. Got to be proactive not reactive

Its depressing because we’ve been a pretty big circus with clown after clown in charge since 2013.

Your hypothetical about United winning the league is pure nonsense, if we were top of the league now you’d be vindicated calling us all muppets. But were far from that.

Drop the fantasy daydreams, the nostalgia & the love stories of old players coming in to lead us to glory, and admit this place would be pretty much entirely Ole out if he wasn’t an ex player.

MattofManchester

I've seen him play deeper for Ajax, but if Ole is considering him purely as a backup 10, then the signing baffles me.

We needed a player to link the defense and attack together to play alongside Bruno and Fred/McTominay especially if we were planning to let go of Pogba.

Instead we've signed VDB to waste away on the bench.

luke511

I've seen him play deeper for Ajax, but if Ole is considering him purely as a backup 10, then the signing baffles me.

We needed a player to link the defense and attack together to play alongside Bruno and Fred/McTominay especially if we were planning to let go of Pogba.

Instead we've signed VDB to waste away on the bench.
He very rarely played as a no.10 for Ajax, it was always a no.8 role, so I've no idea why he hasn't been played in that position for Utd yet. McTominay was played as a no.8 ahead of VdB today it's just poor management.

lex talionis

The mismanagement of VdB is inexplicable. It’s not as though we’ve destroyed clubs like Palace and Arsenal, the last thing we’d want to being to disrupt a well-oiled machine. Instead, our manager throws him on during garbage time.

As fans, there’s not much we can do about this. But Donny should start discussing plans with his agent and others who understand the business for escaping an untenable situation that could gave long term disastrous consequences fir his career.

Ralph1386

Ole seems hellbent on only using him as an attacker, shame. Our shape was non existant by the time he came on, we were so cluttered.
It makes you wonder if Ole actually scouted him before signing him. His best position is number 8 and there’s no way he shouldn’t be playing ahead of either McTominay or Pogba.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
So when VDB comes on we did the most pressing in the last 20 than the whole of the game. So I don’t understand why Ole brings him on sooo late.
I'd say the increase in pressing was probably more related to arsenal inviting the pressure rather than vdbs introduction. They took of 2 attackers for 2 defenders and effectively had a back 8.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
The kagawa of 2020

A good young player but people in here are attributing mythical qualities to his game, that he just understands football on some cosmic level.

Not looking for an argument but it is cringe in here at the moment. A good player brought it to rotate with other good players. Our problems aren't about formation or individual player selection
Agree with this and jealous of your location

Eddy_JukeZ

Kagawa was getting games and struggled to perform.

I don't think the comparison is applicable at all. Van De Beek was pretty good in Ajax's CL run to the semis. Kagawa was never that good in the Champions League.

There's no reason Pogba should be playing ahead of Donny at the moment.

Red00012

He seems like he’s afraid of playing a killer pass in case he loses possession .

Or he’s no confidence in himself because all he seems to do is play it 5 yards once he receives the ball

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
I think new player new time, especially young player from other leagues, no surprise he is on the bench first half of the season.

Tony247

Make donny and bruno partners and build team around them. Donny is tidy, doesn't lose the ball, quickly releases the ball, and find space for himself. Bruno can move ball quickly around if donny is by his side. Both are compatible. That is why I was so surprised (and fecked) when Ole took Bruno off and put donny with pogba...another non compatible partnership.

el3mel

The kagawa of 2020

On what basis are you comparing him to anyone when he has barely played? Bizarre to start such comparisons.

And Kagawa was a good player. He just didn't suit our playing style or formation at this time.

Marcus

He creates space for himself and others. He even caused enough panic to have a double deflection off the bar. Start him. What's the worst that can happen, which has not already happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.