5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

3KDré

Always a problem if Attacking Mid can't run with the ball. Such a strange signing. We should just play him in midfield, and up front only if we're winning already.
Watch Bruno, he doesn't dribble much at all.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Made a few decent runs when he first came on but still finding his bearings in this team. I’m still hoping we play him as an ‘8’.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Always a problem if Attacking Mid can't run with the ball. Such a strange signing. We should just play him in midfield, and up front only if we're winning already.
Well if an Attacking Mid has to run with the ball he's not in the right position. Besides it's not that he can't run with the ball. He just prefers to pass and run without the ball because at Ajax he was used to teammates who could actually find him when he made a run. So in this United he's a bit lost. Hopefully something will change because he can be a huge asset.

Oldham

I don't think he'll make it here, not good enough from what I've seen. Looks weak, rather slow and wants to get rid of the ball as soon as he gets it and pass to nearest teammate. Never really noticed him in that Ajax team.
But hopefully he's adjusting and will become good, just don't see what role he'd be effective at United.

Maureen-yo

Appears to be a completely different player tbf

Would love to see him given more of chance in cm alongside fred
I don't dislike him or anything, I'm yet to see why so many were clamouring for him to be in the starting 11 displacing Fred or McT when we have such a fragile backline. He was supposed to quicken our transition but looked lost and ponderous last night.

lex talionis

I would rather have spent the 40 (45?) million on Partey, but I see quality in Donny. I’m just not sure Ole has any idea what to do with him.

Sea-Cow

To me it looks completely the opposite. He's looking around and wondering wtf everyone else is doing, why aren't they moving into space, why aren't they creating angles for passes, why are they always running away into positions only ridiculous passes can find them with, and why aren't they passing me the ball so I can move it through midfield. He is a relatively passive player but he finds space very well. We just play with so little structure that it's impossible to exploit that unless you're a hollywood passer.
Thats my take as well.

Obiorahking_

Its always worth mentioning that Fred looked like utter garbage for 7 or 8 straight games last season until he finally started putting it together. I feel like central midfielders need a good run of games before we start seeing their full potential and VDB is no different. I don't think its necessary for him to even be a starter here, but I hope that he can prove to be a unique option we can rely on in certain situations.

Andersons Dietician

I feel if he was playing for say Pep at City he would fit right in there but none of our players really do the whole pass and move thing or try and work the ball and opposition. He seems to want to play quick 1-2 passes but no one else wants to. He does pick up some terrific positions and make good runs that just aren’t found or it takes people too long to see the pass and then it’s gone.

I kind of want to see the 3 of Donny, Bruno, mata behind say Cavani. Pogba with a DM and see if they can actually hold possesion, knock it about and play well.

Dare I say it I think if LVG had this group of midfielders we’d be playing much much much better.

Made a few decent runs when he first came on but still finding his bearings in this team. I’m still hoping we play him as an ‘8’.
Pretty much changed the game when he came one with his off the ball movement, his runs into the box and his quick one touch passing.

Mcking

Well if an Attacking Mid has to run with the ball he's not in the right position. Besides it's not that he can't run with the ball. He just prefers to pass and run without the ball because at Ajax he was used to teammates who could actually find him when he made a run. So in this United he's a bit lost. Hopefully something will change because he can be a huge asset.
Not really. Ball carrying is one thing an attacking midfielder should be able to. Watch any of the best among them, and they are constantly driving into space.

Van de Beek just seems desperate to get rid of the ball whenever he gets on it, and the problem is his passing is pretty tame too.

HowYouDoin

Its criminal that VDB isnt starting as our CM with either Fred or McTominay.
Him being thrust into the AM role is well...the same as if you tried to play Fred or McTominay there.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Ole is relying on big players to have moments in games. Bruno is great for that, Donny is more built to be part of a system, under a proper coach. He’s going to struggle to impress under Ole, I think. I don’t think Ole knows what to do with him.

tomaldinho1

Ole is relying on big players to have moments in games. Bruno is great for that, Donny is more built to be part of a system, under a proper coach. He’s going to struggle to impress under Ole, I think. I don’t think Ole knows what to do with him.
This doesn't just apply to VdB. I'd imagine Bruno could actually be even better in the right system - essentially we want him on the ball as much as possible, with a lot of movement ahead of him - I know he's great when the game breaks up but so is every top player with an eye for a pass. I honestly think he has more gears to go into.

pablo__p

This sounds a bit like: Bruno is brilliant and can be a hand changer because of how great he is and despite everything while Donny needs a well-oiled tactically sound team which Ole doesn’t offer.

I think it's both true and depressing.

Not really. Ball carrying is one thing an attacking midfielder should be able to. Watch any of the best among them, and they are constantly driving into space.

Van de Beek just seems desperate to get rid of the ball whenever he gets on it, and the problem is his passing is pretty tame too.
I feel like VdB is one of those players that might not be appreciated by United fans because he’s game is based on intelligence, movement and total football... he’s not as spectacular as Pogba can be, he won’t get the stats that Bruno does. But he’s actually the perfect partner for Bruno.

1) He reads the game and can intercept. So what we lose from removing one CDM he makes up for, maybe not 100% but still he we regain some of what we lose defensively. And we will more than make up for it with control of the midfield

2) He connects the transition play from deeper CM to Bruno... Bruno needs feeding.

3) He, along with Bruno, can connect transition play from CM to attack. To often Bruno gets the ball and can only play it forward, because he has no one on his level besides him. Hence why people point out he loses the ball often. If, and when, he has VdB besides him he can and does play more intricately. So instead of looking for a straight ball into the box, you start seeing more short pass and go between him and Donny and triangles as the attackers get involved when they move forward.

4) He, along with Bruno and our attackers, can be part of the play in the final attacking phase from edge of the box to inside of the box.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
1 million per cent not an Ole signing. It's so bleeding obvious he wasn't one of his targets. Which manager regularly leaves out his most expensive signing of the summer like this? It just doesn't happen. Who are these people at our club who are dictating to managers who we buy. You could kind of understand if we had a DOF who knew the game picking them but we don't. We have accountants running the club. It miffed LVG n Jose off and now it's getting to OGS.

Maybe the Ole outers should take this into account when they're next moaning. He wanted Haaland, Grealish n Sancho and Ed n Judge delivered none of them. This is a big reason why changing to Poch won't make the slightest bit of difference. As long as we have muppets making the decisions this club isn't getting back to where we all want it to be regardless.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He certainly can run with the ball and doesn't seem like he needs to get rid of it asap. Donny is just not comfortable with the ball at his feet.
There's a big difference between not being able to, and chosing not to.

People criticise Pogba for holding on too long, and now you're criticising him for moving the ball quickly?

Don't the pundits always moan our tempo is too slow and we don't move the ball fast enough?

Perhaps it's the rest of the team's fault, and that Donny is actually the one doing the right thing?

We have to remember he's new to the team so is probably playing a little safe right now, but that'll adjust once he feels fully fit in.

For me he should always be in CM if Pogba isn't playing. It's proven enough that 2 DM's just don't work.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
There's a big difference between not being able to, and chosing not to.

People criticise Pogba for holding on too long, and now you're criticising him for moving the ball quickly?

Don't the pundits always moan our tempo is too slow and we don't move the ball fast enough?

Perhaps it's the rest of the team's fault, and that Donny is actually the one doing the right thing?

We have to remember he's new to the team so is probably playing a little safe right now, but that'll adjust once he feels fully fit in.

For me he should always be in CM if Pogba isn't playing. It's proven enough that 2 DM's just don't work.
I'm not a fan of the "symmetrist" approach you represent, because you can prove everything that way going from one extreme to another. The problem I see with van de Beek in AM position is that he'll always look for a pass, so smart opposition will cover everybody around even if that means giving Donny a lot of time and space on the ball. The reason why Bruno and Pogba are always a threat around the box is that the second they have a few yards of space they will take a shot or try a dribble. Donny doesn't have that threat, or at least so far we've not seen any evidence of it. I see him as a central midfielder, I've said it before I was impressed by him in deeper role, not so much in more advanced position. The way he plays as AM, he needs players around to be on the same wavelength. It's not his fault others are not making the right moves, but doesn't change the fact it's ineffective.
But like you said, he's still new to the team and deserves more chances.

What do you mean by "it's proven 2 DMs don't work"? I've seen a lot posts like that but little evidence. Sure, we have our issues on both ends of the pitch but midfield is on the very end of our problems list imo so I'd like to understand what do you mean. Just to be clear, I want to see Donny in midfield, just not sure if it'll result in less goals conceded and more chances converted into goals.

lex talionis

I feel like VdB is one of those players that might not be appreciated by United fans because he’s game is based on intelligence, movement and total football... he’s not as spectacular as Pogba can be, he won’t get the stats that Bruno does. But he’s actually the perfect partner for Bruno.

1) He reads the game and can intercept. So what we lose from removing one CDM he makes up for, maybe not 100% but still he we regain some of what we lose defensively. And we will more than make up for it with control of the midfield

2) He connects the transition play from deeper CM to Bruno... Bruno needs feeding.

3) He, along with Bruno, can connect transition play from CM to attack. To often Bruno gets the ball and can only play it forward, because he has no one on his level besides him. Hence why people point out he loses the ball often. If, and when, he has VdB besides him he can and does play more intricately. So instead of looking for a straight ball into the box, you start seeing more short pass and go between him and Donny and triangles as the attackers get involved when they move forward.

4) He, along with Bruno and our attackers, can be part of the play in the final attacking phase from edge of the box to inside of the box.
Agree, completely.

The path forward is offloading Pogba (at a loss, but so be it) and elevate Donny to the role he's perfectly suited for. Bring in a proper DM (I'm sure we have a thread for that) with the proceeds of the Pogba sale. Use Fred, McT and Matic when necessary to give our first choice midfielders a break or are out injured.

Although we're not far off the top of the table (there is a thread on that) if we're going be honest we have no realistic shot at winning the PL this season. I wouldn't mind seeing Pellistri given a chance after the holidays to show what he can do at RW.

But this thread is about Donny: Let's use him.

HowYouDoin

What is his best position again?
He is clearly an 8. Its not even close, its not even that he's a 70 % number 8 and 30 percent number 10. He is 100 % an 8.
But for some reason Ole sees him as an AM.
As soon as Pochettino is here, Donny will play his real position.

Again he might have played number 10 before but at the highest level of football he doesnt have the talent or the skills for it but he can make a very good number 8.

Basically his career trajectory will be similar to Hererra. Hererra played 10 before as well but there is no way he could ever get away with playing a 10 at the highest level.

Ole is worthless as a manager so its what it is for now. We are far more exposed defensively with Matic who just doesnt have the legs anymore or Pogba who isnt as good as VDB defensively nor does he play with nearly as much effort.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Many were claiming that he was a far superior player to Grealish. That looks laughable now.

I desperately want the lad to succeed but I’m not seeing a great player there at all.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's pretty obvious now that Ole knew Pogba was leaving and Van De Beek was bought as a replacement for him.

Pogba is shit and has always been an overrated player even during his Juventus days. Whether Van De Beek sets the world alight or not, I wouldn't be surprised for him to have a better United career here than Pogba did.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
The tweet here: If he wants to start a game maybe Donny van de Beek should get his agent to say he wants to leave and his #MUFC career is over?
That would be a win-win situation for him.
Either he gets to play or he gets to leave.

Because this is not going to end well for him with Ole as manager.
If used properly he could be a real asset, but he's not going to be used. I think that if he knew how few chances he would get at Utd, he'd never leave Ajax.

Idxomer

I would like to know how many times our coaching staff watched him at Ajax.

Matt851

Is this really good enough for manchester united? The way they played we could have easily been crystal palace

MrBest

Needs to be starting consistently. I actually think the games he has played, he has largely been really good. Quick thinker, hard worker, has a pass in him, likes to look forward - all things Ole hates.

LJJT

He doesn’t play cos he’s not good enough defensively and too light weight. He will get used to the league in time but until he gets physically and defensively stronger he won’t play

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He doesn’t play cos he’s not good enough defensively and too light weight. He will get used to the league in time but until he gets physically and defensively stronger he won’t play
How's he supposed to get used to the league if he doesn't get playing time.

He pretty much didn't do anything wrong in all his appearances so far and yet his minutes have been inconsistent. What kind of message are we sending out to the players when effort and performance doesn't get them playing time?

Renegade

I see Chelsea playing Mount & Havertz who both are similar to
DVB in frame & defensive awareness.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Don’t get why we didn’t bring him on, really frustrating when we looked so leggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.