Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Don't need any more convincing. As good as we all think Donny could be.... The manager clearly didn't want him.

Why are we still having two accountants buying our players?

LVG called out Woodward's incompetence, Jose had a huge fall out and now we've got Ole who let's face it is being walked all over by the muppet in chief Ed Woodward.

Appoint a DOF and relieve Woodward of all football decisions or we will go nowhere.

LJJT

I see Chelsea playing Mount & Havertz who both are similar to
DVB in frame & defensive awareness.
Kovacic and Kante sat behind them? We not dropping Bruno for DVB so that’s why I say DVB isn’t strong enough defensively

LJJT

How's he supposed to get used to the league if he doesn't get playing time.

He pretty much didn't do anything wrong in all his appearances so far and yet his minutes have been inconsistent. What kind of message are we sending out to the players when effort and performance doesn't get them playing time?
Takes time I guess, just like it is doing he’s doing alright but recent games he’s looked light weight. In time he will get used to it. If your under the same pressure Ole is from half the fans on here you wouldn’t risk the light weight lad would you?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Takes time I guess, just like it is doing he’s doing alright but recent games he’s looked light weight. In time he will get used to it. If your under the same pressure Ole is from half the fans on here you wouldn’t risk the light weight lad would you?
He was a big reason for our comeback against Southampton and him being subbed off against West Ham when he wasn't even the worst midfielder in the first half last week. How's that looking light weight?

Half the reason why Ole is finding the pressure is because of all the negative set up he's been playing this season, playing VDB would be a massive step in the right direction.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The player who could inject some energy and teamwork into the borefest... Vibes of Fred in his first season. Signed and not playing.

Rarely things making sense post SAF era.

LJJT

He was a big reason for our comeback against Southampton and him being subbed off against West Ham when he wasn't even the worst midfielder in the first half last week. How's that looking light weight?

Half the reason why Ole is finding the pressure is because of all the negative set up he's been playing this season, playing VDB would be a massive step in the right direction.
He’s light weight and needs to get used to the league. Hence why he has limited game time.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He needs to leave or his career is ruined. I wouldn't blame him at all.

Its a joke how the moron Ole is completely ghosting him.

el3mel

This just seems like a huge waste of money. Why pay close to 45m for a mere bench option ? Could have just got any cheap midfielder for the PL if this is the target and save money for Sancho.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He needs to leave or his career is ruined. I wouldn't blame him at all.

Its a joke how the moron Ole is completely ghosting him.
Or is it more of a joke that Woodward n Judge signed a player the manager didn't want? They have got previous for it. LVG n Jose fell foul to this crap and now its Ole's turn.

SER19

Why was he signed? Absolutely no planning at this mess of a club.
He's started 8 games out of 20 and came on in 8 more. Absolutely guaranteed to feature highly during a packed next few weeks and could very likely just take pogba place in squad, which if it happens, looks like very good planning.

Frank Grimes

He's started 8 games out of 20 and came on in 8 more. Absolutely guaranteed to feature highly during a packed next few weeks and could very likely just take pogba place in squad, which if it happens, looks like very good planning.
So play the player who wants to leave instead of giving VDB the chance to build up a relationship with players? Van de Beek has had no chance to get any rhythm as he doesn't know if he's coming or going. He's our 6th choice midfielder atm. That's not my idea of good planning.

SER19

So play the player who wants to leave instead of giving VDB the chance to build up a relationship with players? Van de Beek has had no chance to get any rhythm as he doesn't know if he's coming or going. He's our 6th choice midfielder atm. That's not my idea of good planning.
I think you're jumping the gun a bit, but would revisit it by seasons end. Would be surprised if he hadn't played a lot and played well

lex talionis

The risk of rot is real, but let’s see if Ole decides to use him more effectively over the next several weeks. If not, I would have no problem with his agent working the phones with other clubs.

Web of Bissaka

The player who could inject some energy and teamwork into the borefest... Vibes of Fred in his first season. Signed and not playing.

Rarely things making sense post SAF era.
Except he did, in both half - one with Mou, the other with Ole later on in the same season.

How did he performed?
Terrible, like to make costly mistakes which our opposing teams exploited and clinically grabbed goals from often.
Also if I'm not mistaken, he also complained about not playing openly when Ole didn't used him at all at the start until he had to due to injuries to both Matic and Herrera.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He should have at least come on in my opinion. Rashford & Pogba looked knackered.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It seems like any mention of his lack of game time is met with "We're only X amount of games into the season"

We're 19 games in, in all competitions. He's played the full 90 on 3 occasions.

Even some of the games Pogba was benched, Donny didn't get a start, and he hasn't started any of our big games. At this point he has been a reserve for the most part. A footballer doesn't improve by not playing.

It seems clear he either wasn't a player Ole wanted, or Ole simply isn't convinced by him since seeing him up close.

Foxbatt

What is this British fetish of thinking you need to be built like a heavyweight to play in the PL? If he is good enough then he is strong enough. If Mata is strong enough then DVB is much stronger than Mata. This is utterly ridiculous to say that he is light weight. He is here to play football and not kick the hell out of someone on the pitch.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I have no idea whether he is good signing for us or not. First he is not playing much, then with limited gaming time he didn't really convinced me much. I mean it seems he is an intelligent player who is good at releasing the ball quick and playing one touch football, but on the other hand he doesn't seem to have the ball control skills or creativity to succeeded in AM role effectively, nor does he show any defensive quality necessary for no.8 role. I am little confused with his future role in this club, maybe as bench option?

HowYouDoin

He will definitely start if we get Pochettino. He provides what neither Fred or McTominay do.
The biggest issue at the club is the manager.
We do need to be patient with VDB, he will come good. He is the best pure CM at the club. He is absolutely not an AM.
When we have a decent manager and not the one thats no better than Molde then VDB will start playing and he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.
His ability to pass, link up play and be press resistant will be appreciated.

marktan

I think he's been absolutely wank based off of what we've seen so far, he does nothing with the ball other then sideways pass to the nearest man as quick as he can. But Fred has improved massively so I'll reserve full judgement until he's been here a season or two.

HowYouDoin

I think he's been absolutely wank based off of what we've seen so far, he does nothing with the ball other then sideways pass to the nearest man. But Fred has improved massively so I'll reserve full judgement until he's been here a season or two.
No. There's a difference in sideways passing as you put it when defenders do it because theyre usually allowed to do it as opposed to when midfield players that get pressed do it.
Donny's quick passing can create a lot of openings for all of our other players and that one touch play can be very useful, we just dont play that way and we dont know how to play that way.
Donny is no orchestator but he can make the team tick.

Donny's passing is levels above Fred's or McTominay's.
If he played instead of one of them and theyre basically doing the job that one player should do, you would see a real difference in our play.

Mcking

What is this British fetish of thinking you need to be built like a heavyweight to play in the PL? If he is good enough then he is strong enough. If Mata is strong enough then DVB is much stronger than Mata. This is utterly ridiculous to say that he is light weight. He is here to play football and not kick the hell out of someone on the pitch.
It's not just that he is lightweight, he also doesn't move very quickly, and he can only dream of Mata's agility and passing at his peak. He just doesn't have any particularly useful quality.

He is indisciplined and one dimensional too, and just doesn't know when to move or hold position. I haven't seen a less inspiring player play for us for a while, but many are not ready for that conversation yet.

zenith

It's not just that he is lightweight, he also doesn't move very quickly, and he can only dream of Mata's agility and passing at his peak. He just doesn't have any particularly useful quality.

He is indisciplined and one dimensional too, and just doesn't know when to move or hold position. I haven't seen a less inspiring player play for us for a while, but many are not ready for that conversation yet.
What rubbish

He's quality in possession and has an eye for Goal and making very good runs on the box. It just takes time to adjust to the PL and we have for sure seen glimpses of quality. Just scroll back in this thread to see some of the comments.

you seem to be making assumptions. Look at Scholes and Keane, neither big players. Perhaps if you go back to 1974, then it would be a thing.

there’s a clear difference between size, which you are mentioning (and is irrelevant) and ability to hold on to the ball, be quick in moving it, and to press.

I’ve not seen enough of him, and I suggest no one else has in a United shirt to make a judgement.

he will get lots of chances as the season progresses.

“player takes time to find his feet at new club shocker”

Kuba

The main problem is not having proper DM who can make it on his own and has Good passing then someone like Pogba or Vdb could play alongside him. Until then we need to waste 1 player and play 2 if Fred, McT or Matic to do 1 man job and cover for another player mistakes which leaves us with only 1 place in midfield for Bruno.

Even if we get that player vdb compared to Pogba is still pretty avarage. Maybe he didnt play enough but still he is not Creative enough and does not make things happen his first Touch passing is great but with our style of Play it is useless we don't need that kind of player The way we play we need Pogba and Bruno because almost all of our goalscoring chances are being made buy long passing to our stikers trying to Play on a shoulder of last defender. VDB is not that kind of player he needs other players like him.

I bet that McT, Fred and Vdb is probably the less Creative midfield ever and having Cristiano Ronaldo, Ronaldo and Messi in front of them they would make probably like 10 assists in a season.

So for VDB to have any carrer here he needs us to buy better DM, change our manager and style of play and still will be 2 nd choice for any position in the squad behind Bruno and Paul. Of course its better to have him than Lingard or Perreira but for 40 mln ? I would rather add some £ and buy Grealish or that DM player for 1st 11.

Matt851

Maybe just my untrained eye but i haven't noticed a huge defensive weakness when i have seen him play deeper in midfield. I think his ability to move the ball quickly and accurately has improved our play, think he could have played one or two more long diagonals but he appeared to be able to do this.

He does seem to be better suited to a deeper role rather than as an AM

It is looking like an odd signing though. Surely we would have benefitted more from using the money for a new dm, rb, rw or cb

The only way we will be able to tell if he is good enough is by seeing him play more so hoping he will get the chance to play deeper against shef utd

Last edited:

Godfather

Still a bizarr signing. Can't field a rightwinger for years yet we decide to splash 40 mill on a player to sit on the bench

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's so dependant on a particular style of play that makes you wonder, yet again, why we signed him.

RuudTom83

I always struggle to judge a CM, it’s far easier if it’s an DM or an AM.

Ole has struggled to find a system he is happy with so far, so if the manager is unsure then any new arrivals will find it harder to shine.

I’ll give Donny a full season before making any conclusions on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.