5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixion

I would be very surprised if he doesn't start in place of Bruno so hopefully he can put in a good performance. He does have a tenancy to jog around so under Ralf and trying to impress I'll be looking for a bit more energy from him.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I would be very surprised if he doesn't start in place of Bruno so hopefully he can put in a good performance. He does have a tenancy to jog around so under Ralf and trying to impress I'll be looking for a bit more energy from him.
i wouldn't. VDB doesn't really suit the "am but actually a winger" role in the 4-2-2-2
I think if he starts it'll be a CM spot.

tomaldinho1

Given McT went off injured and Fred was poor, you’d hope he might get a start now in CM. I do think it’s going to be too little too late regardless of whether he does well or not, no way his agent isn’t already working on ways for him to leave.

luke511

i wouldn't. VDB doesn't really suit the "am but actually a winger" role in the 4-2-2-2
I think if he starts it'll be a CM spot.
I hope he isn't played as one of the wide CAM roles, but going off his history here he'll probably play there, have a non existent game as he always does in that advanced no.10 role and everyone will write him off. He needs to be given a proper go as a deeper CM before he's sold/loaned out, now's the chance.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Didn't start under Ole, doesn't start under RR. Hoping he gets a start tomorrow.....

Found it interesting that RR started him as a single pivot against Young Boys. Could he potentially start deeper in a pivot? Has he got the energy and defensive nous that RR craves? Regards in possession on the ball, more often than not, he's neat on it, but it's all very simple. We need expansive passers and apart from Pogba, we really lack that in midfield.

Lentwood

Sick of hearing about DvdB tbh...maybe if he did something (anything) in the games he does get, he would be considered for more regular game time?

The fact is, Jesse Lingard is a better player PL for me (as proved by the West Ham loan) and he can't get a look in either

luke511

Sick of hearing about DvdB tbh...maybe if he did something (anything) in the games he does get, he would be considered for more regular game time?

The fact is, Jesse Lingard is a better player PL for me (as proved by the West Ham loan) and he can't get a look in either
I sound like a broken record but he's played well every time he's played in the sitting 2 in front of the defence, there's not been many occasions like. Every time he's played as a 10 for us he's making centre forward style runs whilst we're struggling to get the ball past the double pivot due to a combination of a high press from the opposition and a lack of ability to find the forward players from deep, it doesn't work at all. This side has struggled with technical consistency for a while, and Van de Beek is our best centre mid when it comes to quick and tidy passing, hence why it makes sense to finally give him a run of games there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Lingard I think is not getting a look in for different reasons.

tomaldinho1

You’ve clicked into the VdB thread and taken time to write that you’re sick of hearing about him…what else would be being discussed in here?

Member 101269

Didn't start under Ole, doesn't start under RR. Hoping he gets a start tomorrow.....

Found it interesting that RR started him as a single pivot against Young Boys. Could he potentially start deeper in a pivot? Has he got the energy and defensive nous that RR craves? Regards in possession on the ball, more often than not, he's neat on it, but it's all very simple. We need expansive passers and apart from Pogba, we really lack that in midfield.
He would be physically and mentally present...

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I hope he isn't played as one of the wide CAM roles, but going off his history here he'll probably play there, have a non existent game as he always does in that advanced no.10 role and everyone will write him off. He needs to be given a proper go as a deeper CM before he's sold/loaned out, now's the chance.
because he's not a CAM in the way Ole used a CAM and certainly not a "CAM" the way Ragnick wants to use. In a 4222 the CAMs are basically wingers.
So yeah i'm hoping he won't be played in that position, because that is setting him up to fail.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
You’ve clicked into the VdB thread and taken time to write that you’re sick of hearing about him…what else would be being discussed in here?
Obviously we need to discuss Ole. Ole wasnt wrong not to pick him, Ralf is an even worse manager than Ole after the draw against Newcastle. Ole was the victim here and germans are frauds.

Chief123

:lol::lol:
It’s like going to a designated smoking bay and complaining you hate it when people smoke next to you.

Irwin99

Said it before but there are echoes of Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, and Andreas Peireira situations where there's this absolute clamour among the fan base for them to get games and then when they do play it's like ..."oh so THAT's why they weren't getting picked. Huh! Maybe the managers do know best"

In fairness i'd like to see him play a bit more just to be certain but he's never really impressed me much when he has actually started or come on as a sub. I question whether he was actually an Ole signing or an Ed Woodward one.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I sound like a broken record but he's played well every time he's played in the sitting 2 in front of the defence, there's not been many occasions like. Every time he's played as a 10 for us he's making centre forward style runs whilst we're struggling to get the ball past the double pivot due to a combination of a high press from the opposition and a lack of ability to find the forward players from deep, it doesn't work at all. This side has struggled with technical consistency for a while, and Van de Beek is our best centre mid when it comes to quick and tidy passing, hence why it makes sense to finally give him a run of games there.
He doesn’t suit how Ragnick wants his CMs to play at all. “tidy” is not what he wants - he wants players that play the ball quickly and directly between the lines or switch play to the fullbacks. He also wants CMs with the physicality to win the ball high and cover the wide areas. Donny is none of these things - he loves one touch passes backwards or sideways, is limited physically and hasn’t ever shown great direct passing range - I’ve watched games where he’s barely passed the ball further than 5 yards. His last performance in a RR side deep was abysmal - with RR publicly saying he specifically did the types of short passes in areas he told his team not to do. The agenda in favour of this guy is baffling - it’s pretty simple - Bruno/Pogba et al are much better than him further forward and he doesn’t have the attributes to play deep in the PL - which isn’t surprising as he wasn’t bought for that. The only formation he would suit is as an 8 in a 4-3-3 which we don’t play. He should be sold for everyone’s good.

HailtotheKing

He doesn’t suit how Ragnick wants his CMs to play at all. “tidy” is not what he wants - he wants players that play the ball quickly and directly between the lines or switch play to the fullbacks. He also wants CMs with the physicality to win the ball high and cover the wide areas. Donny is none of these things - he loves one touch passes backwards or sideways, is limited physically and hasn’t ever shown great direct passing range - I’ve watched games where he’s barely passed the ball further than 5 yards. His last performance in a RR side deep was abysmal - with RR publicly saying he specifically did the types of short passes in areas he told his team not to do. The agenda in favour of this guy is baffling - it’s pretty simple - Bruno/Pogba et al are much better than him further forward and he doesn’t have the attributes to play deep in the PL - which isn’t surprising as he wasn’t bought for that. The only formation he would suit is as an 8 in a 4-3-3 which we don’t play. He should be sold for everyone’s good.
He made one mistake where he passed it across field instead of holding it upfield and it cost us a goal, that’s it. Compare that to the number of mistakes others have made that cost us goals. As it was, AWB was partially responsible for that goal.

DVB has never been given a proper chance. At no point has he ever stunk the place out like Fred or McTomonay have repeatedly and in consecutive games. Those few chances he’s had have never been with a full first team or when they have, they’ve been for 5 mins once a month. Give the guy a chance and let’s see what he can do. If after 5 consecutive games he’s not working, fair enough. But he’s a smart player with great touch. I have faith.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He made one mistake where he passed it across field instead of holding it upfield and it cost us a goal, that’s it. Compare that to the number of mistakes others have made that cost us goals. As it was, AWB was partially responsible for that goal.

DVB has never been given a proper chance. At no point has he ever stunk the place out like Fred or McTomonay have repeatedly and in consecutive games. Those few chances he’s had have never been with a full first team or when they have, they’ve been for 5 mins once a month. Give the guy a chance and let’s see what he can do. If after 5 consecutive games he’s not working, fair enough. But he’s a smart player with great touch. I have faith.
He clearly wants first team football. And the truth is, none of our CMs, with the exception of maybe, maybe, Fred is good enough to be a starter at Man Utd. So I don't see the point of holding on to VDB if we're proceeding with Rangnick ball/4-4-2 whatever.

VDB's one exceptional quality are his runs in and around the box. He's a defender's worst nightmare, because he's impossible to mark.

Unless you're world class it actually matters how you fit into a team. This is why proper coaching and a coherent policy are more consistent than galactico approaches. We bought him because of "goals" and "versatility".

He'd be a better for Chelsea in the Odoi/Mount (is it?) role behind the CF. Conversely, Ziyech would have been a much better fit for Ole. High risk style, capable of pulling rabbits out of a hat, etc.

luke511

Van de Beek plays the ball quicker and more directly than Fred and McTominay though? That's what tidy is isn't it? Good first touch and quick accurate passes.. I don't understand the narrative that he struggles physically, he's decent at tackling and covers the ground. I guess we'll have to wait and see, I could be wrong but If Rangnick carries on picking the same team he's going to struggle with the same issues, with some positional coaching Van de Beek could be a good short term solution, he's played his best football for us in that position. Also for the Young Boys game he had Lingard and Mata in front of him and he was a lone DM, it was set up to be abysmal all round.

Sviken

He's impressed me far more than Fred and McT almost every time he has played, but unfortunately he made the wrong move. There's a reason why young players don't want to join us. We're a deathbed for them and he's ruining his career. On the bright side, if Ten Hag comes, he's most surely going to be a vital part of the team. If he doesn't, it's time for Donny to hand his transfer request.

GoldanoGraham

He definitely deserves a chance as those who have been playing in the midfield have not performed at all under Ralf - maybe with Bruno suspended a good opportunity - lots of posters keep saying he isn’t this and he isn’t that but surely he deserves a run of a few games.

after Newcastle a few others could do with being replaced as well.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
He doesn’t suit how Ragnick wants his CMs to play at all. “tidy” is not what he wants - he wants players that play the ball quickly and directly between the lines or switch play to the fullbacks. He also wants CMs with the physicality to win the ball high and cover the wide areas. Donny is none of these things -
Donny is basically every one of those things, although not that physical. Makes me think that you've only seen him play for United under Ole where he was misused or not even played at all.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Donny is basically every one of those things, although not that physical. Makes me think that you've only seen him play for United under Ole where he was misused or not even played at all.
How is he direct? He’s at his best around the box with quick and clever interplay. That’s his strength. I’ve watched him play plenty thanks. He’s never been known for progressive direct play from deep. And that along with not being physical is a huge issue when expecting him to play deep in RR side.

GianlucaNL

Supports
Ajax
I've been able to see Donny live for years. Also in youth. He really is a very good player in a 4-3-3 system. Donny was nominated twice as a talent of the academy in the youth, both in the 10 and the 8. It is painful to see him sitting on the bench like this because I expected Donny to have adapted in half a year.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
I've been able to see Donny live for years. Also in youth. He really is a very good player in a 4-3-3 system. Donny was nominated twice as a talent of the academy in the youth, both in the 10 and the 8. It is painful to see him sitting on the bench like this because I expected Donny to have adapted in half a year.
I’ve been critical in here but I think he could be very good for us in a 4-3-3 alongside Pogba and a DM - but there’s a Bruno sized elephant which means we won’t be playing that system. For months I’ve wanted to play Bruno as a false 9 - that in my eyes would be our most balanced side - with Pogba, Donny, Greenwood and Rashford all having license to run in behind Bruno when he drops deeper - but then there’s a Ronaldo shaped elephant…Basically we have too many elephants.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
How is he direct? He’s at his best around the box with quick and clever interplay. That’s his strength. I’ve watched him play plenty thanks. He’s never been known for progressive direct play from deep. And that along with not being physical is a huge issue when expecting him to play deep in RR side.
clever interplay is direct? Because keeping the ball for too long or dribbling isn't direct and you could watch his compilations, quite some progressive balls. Even for United the last few times he played. Sure he favors shorter passes and progress the ball through clever interplay. But it's not like he can't maker longer passes.

And how is physicality a thing when he's both bigger and stronger than Fred and quite tall for a footballer in general. Besides his tackling is rather good and he doesn't shy away from them.

Brophs

The One and Only
Weird how two managers now seem to be incapable of recognising his brilliance.

Ixion

Weird how two managers now seem to be incapable of recognising his brilliance.
He might eventually not be in RR's plans but this is a dumb take so early. He just stuck with the same XI for his first couple of games and then VDB was one of the players that missed a few training days because of the covid situation before the Newcastle game.

You can say that in 4 months time but not after 4 games.

lex talionis

Perhaps the Glazers have photos of Donny, although that would still beg the question why Ed and Ole shoveled 40m into the furnace for a useless footballer who couldn’t even lace up McTominay’s boots.

Andersonson

He's impressed me far more than Fred and McT almost every time he has played, but unfortunately he made the wrong move. There's a reason why young players don't want to join us. We're a deathbed for them and he's ruining his career. On the bright side, if Ten Hag comes, he's most surely going to be a vital part of the team. If he doesn't, it's time for Donny to hand his transfer request.
He will be 25 in a couple of months. If that's young I don't know anymore.

If he doesn't start today he is on the way out. If he plays I hope he perform and we get s great result and things turn around for us and him.

Gandalf

I hope he starts and plays well but this could well be a horses for courses scenario. I think he would be excellent in a possession based side like City but as others have mentioned he does appear to lack the physicality and directness that is required for the RR system. It is early days but I think it is unlikely we are going to be that flexible tactically and presumably we are going to either stick with RR as manager or he will choose the next manager who will be in his own image. If that is the case it might be better to let him go this January, particularly if the funds will be reinvested into a player like Haidara who fits the system we are using.

soapythecat

Clearly there is a reason he isn’t starting, given it’s 2 managers need that don’t see him as a regular.
Maybe he doesn’t train smart, but whatever it is, he’s gone in January if someone want him.
I doubt there is a way into the starting 11 now. Never looked good in a United shirt….maybe the role is just too big for him?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If he can't even get a game at home against Burnley then we really should be looking to move him on and bring in someone else. For both of our sakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.