5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Honestly I don't get it. I have no agenda against him but equally never understood the hype. Donny is amongst a number of young Dutch players of his generation who went for big money that left Dutch football and are struggling. I honestly believe that the wish to get him into the side is based on people's hate of Scott and Fred. Many thought new manager who immediately mean one of them would be dropped, it's not happened.

If the new manager thought Donny was a better 6 than those two, he'd be playing. It's not like he's dropping Ronaldo....

tomaldinho1

Honestly I don't get it. I have no agenda against him but equally never understood the hype. Donny is amongst a number of young Dutch players of his generation who went for big money that left Dutch football and are struggling. I honestly believe that the wish to get him into the side is based on people's hate of Scott and Fred. Many thought new manager who immediately mean one of them would be dropped, it's not happened.

If the new manager thought Donny was a better 6 than those two, he'd be playing. It's not like he's dropping Ronaldo....
Or we just wait and see what happens. For all we know Donny has decided he’s moving, he might well no longer be a United player in Jan. RR isn’t going to wave a magic wand, we suddenly play well and the first XI is set in stone, there’s a long road ahead. Many players we think are nailed on now might drop out, might be sold, might not buy into RR’s plans.

Litch

Or we just wait and see what happens. For all we know Donny has decided he’s moving, he might well no longer be a United player in Jan. RR isn’t going to wave a magic wand, we suddenly play well and the first XI is set in stone, there’s a long road ahead. Many players we think are nailed on now might drop out, might be sold, might not buy into RR’s plans.
Don't think there is anything wrong with questioning what might happen. I thought that was what forums were all about?

tomaldinho1

Don't think there is anything wrong with questioning what might happen. I thought that was what forums were all about?
Well, you’re saying if he was a good 6 he’d be starting by now but it’s way too early to come out with a blanket statement like that. I’m saying let’s at least wait and see what the team looks like in a few weeks. You can’t get a new manager in and then, what are we 2 weeks in? Think he’s properly assessed the players.

city-puma

Agree. But also, a lot of fans including me want him integrated into the team just because we paid a great fee to acquire him and therefore we hope him success here. The thing is that he seems not really suitable to our different systems, under Ole or Ralf (still remain to see). Our hope will fade away eventually and acknowledge that’s a bad transfer at the end of the day. I hope it’s not the case.

Ixion

I don't think anyone should judge things too early, suggesting another manager doesn't fancy him. Ralph kept the same XI that won at Arsenal, it did well against Palace so he kept the same again as it had a week off as well, just common sense. He hasn't make decisions or judgements, picked his favourites yet.

luke511

McFred was undroppable no matter how bad the string of performances, whenever that happens it's natural for fans to want to see alternatives being tested. Van de Beek has played well in that position on the few occasions it's been tried so put the 2 and 2 together and over a long period of time you end up with fans chanting his name every game just out of frustation. McFred has looked a much better unit under Rangnick so it makes complete sense for them to carry on playing. It's not a case of "Mcfred is playing under Rangnick therefore the fans were wrong about DVB being a good no.6/8".

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me Van De Beek is our Havertz or Timo Werner - the signings that make you consider a manager from their league or nationality.

I'm not sure if I rate VDB as highly as I initially did - but at the same time I know he can get even marginally better compared to what we see or not see now.

If VDB decides to stay, I think that's a big indicator of Ten Hag being our next manager.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
They are given more time simply because they are better.
I have no problem with that, however... We played bottom of the league team. In 3 days we play Brentford, which is 9th. Do you expect Fred and McTominay to play another 90' of intense football?
There's an obvious problem with playing 2 midfielders all the time and not rotating.

They are given more time simply because they are better. We are not in a position to try to bed in a player like DvB who has never proven his worth at this level. A player like Donny isn't going to get time at a club like United for the sake of becoming good later on. He doesn't have the age or talent for that.
That for me is a shocking post.
Do you think we should buy world class proven players, and everyone who doesn't perform from day one just sell next transfer window?
Do you know when Fred joined us he was older than van de Beek is now? And he had a shite first month's, nothing close to what Donny is showing (even if we call it "average").
By the way, we are exactly in the position to try to bed in players the rest of the season. Unless someone believes we're beating Liverpool or Man City to the title.

He gets minutes because there are not other options. Our midfield options ain't stacked with players.... If Matic would be fit I bet he would come on instead if DvB.
Which is exactly why me and some here advocate for giving Donny a chance. 73 minutes in 7 sub appearances after 16 rounds, ZERO games started in the EPL, is not something I consider "a chance to prove himself".

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Only begs the question of why we even brought him in the first place other than fulfilling the board's wishes.
Ole wanted a Bruno replacement and Donny scored goals in big games. Isn't that what he literally said about why he bought him? I wouldn't be surprised if Ole was that superficial. The other theory is he was a Pogba replacement, but I'm not buying it, because we would have shown Pogba the door that same summer.
It baffles me he's a no.10 given his strengths and weaknesses. I'm sure he's not going to be a regular starter at a top club in that position. He looks much more comfortable deeper with a 6/8 next to him. If he's insisting on playing as a 10 then his fate is sealed.
He's not insisting playing as a 10 mate. I'm pretty sure he'd jump at the opportunity to play LB.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
For me Van De Beek is our Havertz or Timo Werner - the signings that make you consider a manager from their league or nationality.

I'm not sure if I rate VDB as highly as I initially did - but at the same time I know he can get even marginally better compared to what we see or not see now.

If VDB decides to stay, I think that's a big indicator of Ten Hag being our next manager.
Think that’s unfair on Havertz tbh

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Just spotted Donny. At the Newcastle Leicester game. In with the Newcastle fans in a Newcastle Jersey. Clear come and get me plea.

Redlyn

What planet are you on. McTominay and Fred are both rubbish. You think we are going to challenge for trophies with those 2. Absolutely annoys the heck out of me they both play.
Who said they are good enough. Completely irrelevant to what was being discussed. I don't have time for newbies on a pointless rant.

Presto

He comes on because the others are tired and needs a rest? Same with Matic when he comes on. And they get to play cup-games.

He gets minutes because there are not other options. Our midfield options ain't stacked with players.... If Matic would be fit I bet he would come on instead if DvB. At least yesterday
Again if Bruno or any other player needs a rest why subbed them at 85th minute or even later? What is the point of resting a player for only few minutes???

And no, he's not the only option, there were Lingard and Elanga on the bench both can replace Bruno in Ralf's 4222 system so why he's brought on over them???

Slysi17

I certainly don't think Donny is the answer though. All I want is something different in the midfield other than McFred long term.

SAF is the GOAT

I really think that he could play in the number 10 position on Rangnick's 4-2-2-2 formation and not in the pivot.

Ogaranya

He was not suitable for the kind of football we played under Ole.

He will excel under any possession based football style

Ekeke

In 18/19 Ajax got to the semi finals of the champions league. Its quite obvious that he's been a good player and he played both an AM role and as a deeper midfielder, but at Ajax he wasnt in and out of the team and clearly had the belief of his manager

On the first of 2 matches in the champions league semi finals

Even in the 2nd leg where Ajax went out, you can still see him being effective with his movement and linkup play.

As an example Ziyech's goal, if the keeper saves it or he pulls it wide of the post VDB has got himself plenty of space in the right area to put it in on the rebound. It wasnt needed because Ziyech scored a screamer. And Ajax lost because of defensive mistakes and tracking of Lucas Moura, not because of what the AM did. The DM, goalkeeper and defenders

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Obviously a player needs time to settle and also a run of games to show there form, so I can understand peoples frustrations he has never got this.........but I completely agree with your post as a whole though.

Was never that excited about him as a signing, in fact massively dissapointed as it was the summer we were heavily linekd with Grealish. Different players of course, bu a massive cme down.

VDB was good in that Ajax side, but he wasnt a top top player for me like many made out, he wasnt near the quality of DeLigt or DeJong who were the stand out players, he was on the next level of players like ZIyech, Tadic (yes the same player who played for SOuthampton!), Neres and Blind (who wasnt good enough for anything but a squad player tbh for us).....and that is it for me, we over spent on a squad player. Look at Ziyech, people were raving about him as a signing for Chelsea and arguably he has done less than the player he replaced in Willian, he is a squad player and that is all VDB is for us.

All be it limited opportunities he has been decent in his best performances for us and anoymynous in many. If I was beign super blunt, to me he is just an average player, well schooled by Ajax wth his technique etc and we have seen many similar players like that fail in moves abroad. The fact he is barely getting opportunities above Fred and McTominay says enough in istself for me

Andersonson

It doesn't get any much clearer than this. Fred subbed after the first half and then Matic comes on and still no Donny.

He clearly isn't rated by this staff either

lex talionis

Donny needs to find a new club.

No, he’s not the next Zidane but he deserves better than to watch Fred and McTominay shit their pants every match.

Bobski

He is not a deep midfielder, which is my main frustration with the fan campaign to get him mins, in attacking midfield I can see him as an option with his clever movement and composed finishing but in defensive midfield, not a chance.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Nobody rates this guy.
Was rated in Ajax. Took them to the top 3 teams in the CL in a young age, sinking Chelsea and Juve on the way.

Returning to his club wouldn't be a bad idea, judging how they're flourishing in a football aspect.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He is not a deep midfielder, which is my main frustration with the fan campaign to get him mins, in attacking midfield I can see him as an option with his clever movement and composed finishing but in defensive midfield, not a chance.
I've read a couple of time that he could be a great DM here. That's really not what he's good at, he's at is best in a team with a lot of movement when he can play high on the pitch and move between the lines.

Gfooty

His agent should really press for a winter transfer asap. Even old legs Matic has passed him in the picking order which is criminal

Bobski

I've read a couple of time that he could be a great DM here. That's really not what he's good at, he's at is best in a team with a lot of movement when he can play high on the pitch and move between the lines.
I don't understand why, given all his attributes are best used high up the pitch and he has very little history playing deep midfield at any point in his career. A few posts up you have vids of him playing false 9(and doing well) against Spurs. Combining him with Fred in a 2 is a favourite as well, good luck to the CB's there, so much positional instinct for the role between them.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I agree completely, and ultimately the managers have thought the same re: his position which is why he barely plays as they see Bruno as his competition and not Fred/McTominay.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Seems he’s not in this managers plans either. I’d like to have seen more of him but it ain’t happening

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yes, I don't think the manager thinks he is a DM. He will start on Thursday. Let's see how he fares.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I don't understand why, given all his attributes are best used high up the pitch and he has very little history playing deep midfield at any point in his career. A few posts up you have vids of him playing false 9(and doing well) against Spurs. Combining him with Fred in a 2 is a favourite as well, good luck to the CB's there, so much positional instinct for the role between them.
People might be confused because on some occasions he looks like he can take the ball low on the bitch and drive it foward with a lot of intensity but if you saw him play with Ajax, you know it's just not his role. Also, he used to play as a very useful cog in a well oiled machinery at Ajax, he might have overperformed a bit too, that's not at all what he's getting at United (a bit like Wijnaldum at PSG).

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
People might be confused because on some occasions he looks like he can take the ball low on the bitch and drive it foward with a lot of intensity but if you saw him play with Ajax, you know it's just not his role. Also, he used to play as a very useful cog in a well oiled machinery at Ajax, he might have overperformed a bit too, that's not at all what he's getting at United (a bit like Wijnaldum at PSG).
As someone who's seen every matched he played for Ajax. He can absolutely play deeper in the midfield. But he needs teammates around him who can actually pass a bit, because he's not a dribbler but relies on short passes for progression. So it will never really work with Fred or McTominay. But that said he'll never fit in that horrible 4-2-2-2 system Ragnick wants to play, almost nobody in the squad does actually.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

As someone who's seen every matched he played for Ajax. He can absolutely play deeper in the midfield. But he needs teammates around him who can actually pass a bit, because he's not a dribbler but relies on short passes for progression. So it will never really work with Fred or McTominay. But that said he'll never fit in that horrible 4-2-2-2 system Ragnick wants to play, almost nobody in the squad does actually.
Thanks for that. He does not seem to have the attributes to play as only number 6, bit he should be fine in a deeper role. His defending seems a bit rusty at times, but I think he could improve on that. And he is physically strong.
The problem is we do not have that many great players for this kind of give and go, quick pass and movement football. In fact only Sancho comes to mind.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He deserves a start, and Bruno deserves a spot on the bench.

lex talionis

It takes a suspension for Donny to get a start for United? If terms can be worked out he should go back to Ajax, a club which makes the latter stages of the CL relatively easily.

MattofManchester

In 18/19 Ajax got to the semi finals of the champions league. Its quite obvious that he's been a good player and he played both an AM role and as a deeper midfielder, but at Ajax he wasnt in and out of the team and clearly had the belief of his manager
That's some pass at 2:54. Perfectly weighted off a dropping ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.