5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishRedDevil

Treated like shit. Lucky to get £20m for him at this rate.

Remember the letter from van der Sar telling us to treat him well?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Definitely gone. God help us if he tears it up wherever he goes. He'll be brought up for years.

I hope he spills the beans though.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Clearly there is a reason he isn’t starting, given it’s 2 managers need that don’t see him as a regular.
Maybe he doesn’t train smart, but whatever it is, he’s gone in January if someone want him.
I doubt there is a way into the starting 11 now. Never looked good in a United shirt….maybe the role is just too big for him?
You're overthinking. Ole used him as a Bruno stand in.

He's not starting because he wants to leave. Dito Marital.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Clearly there is a reason he isn’t starting, given it’s 2 managers need that don’t see him as a regular.
Maybe he doesn’t train smart, but whatever it is, he’s gone in January if someone want him.
I doubt there is a way into the starting 11 now. Never looked good in a United shirt….maybe the role is just too big for him?
VDB doesn't fit the horrible Ragnick system and well Ole was ole. I really hope he leaves soon, because his career almost has been ruined by United.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's not just 2 Managers, it's 2 sets of different coaching staff that all think that Donny isn't cut to be a starter. That's a pretty damning tell.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
VDB doesn't fit the horrible Ragnick system and well Ole was ole. I really hope he leaves soon, because his career almost has been ruined by United.
Ffs the hyperbole. He was a good Ajax player, nothing more. Shouldn't have signed for United if he wanted a guaranteed start. He's been paid well.

That said he shouldn't have been lied to by Ole.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Ffs the hyperbole. He was a good Ajax player, nothing more. Shouldn't have signed for United if he wanted a guaranteed start. He's been paid well.

He's dropped from the Dutch squad and 2 years of development time have been wasted not playing games. I'm pretty sure that's not good for a career.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Thats pretty much him finished here. If he can't get into the team with Bruno suspended and Fred dropped he has no hope.

Castia

But we see our midfield get outplayed on a weekly basis that’s the strange thing. McFred are constantly terrible yet start 40 games a season and Donny is lucky to get 10 minutes every 3 weeks. Mind boggling transfer all around I’d understand if the midfield was solid and he couldn’t force his way in but we’re stuck with the fecking chuckle brothers week in week out.

Telsim

Pushed out by a 33-year-old Matic. Yeah, Van de Beek is finished here. What a shame to see it end this way.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
DvdB is very reliant on playmakers around him. Many at/fans of Utd seem to think he can be that player himself, but he's more one of the gears in a machine than the central piece. They might both be Hole Players on PES, but Donny and Bruno are very different players, since Bruno is more of the playmaker who just tries whatever, while Donny is looking for triangles and other system features that simply aren't there. If you want a working Donny, you need two or three playmakers near him. At Ajax he had Frenkie, Schøne and Ziyech all around him and he pretty much just did some 1-2s and finishes, while working harder in midfield/defense after Frenkie left and his holes he left behind him weren't covered as much. If you can get Pogba to be more defensively sound and sharper about his markers, Fred to be more consistently composed on the ball and push Bruno into a free-ish role on the wings (or play Mata), you'd have a system wherein Donny can shine as a #10. But do you want to change your entire system for one guy? Perhaps when Sancho is a more solid piece and Pogba gels with the Rangnick system (and stays), he'd still have a chance, but I don't think you should hope for that too much.

When he was signed I thought he'd be a great Bruno back-up, but I (and I think the Utd scouts with me) didn't realise how reliant he is on the systems and players around him. Perhaps that's a downside of the Ajax school, since players who were raised elsewhere (Frenkie, Ziyech, Eriksen) instead of went through the entire system, performed better in recent years than players like Donny and Klaassen, no matter how technically capable they might be. Now you just see a player walking around feeling misunderstood in his runs and passes. I did like how he started out against YB and thought maybe there's still hope there, but looks like it wasn't enough. Hope he gets better at adapting while at his next club if he is really entering his final Utd days.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
But we see our midfield get outplayed on a weekly basis that’s the strange thing. McFred are constantly terrible yet start 40 games a season and Donny is lucky to get 10 minutes every 3 weeks. Mind boggling transfer all around I’d understand if the midfield was solid and he couldn’t force his way in but we’re stuck with the fecking chuckle brothers week in week out.
I've wanted to see Donny play in CM ahead of McSauce. But he will never ever be good enough as a starter in that role. It would only have been temporary until a DM is signed. He's an attacking midfielder.

Clueless transfer. We bought a CAM that makes runs as a backup for a creative CAM, because "goals".

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think that pretty much it, if he won't get a chance now he won't ever get it , thats him gone in jan

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Wow this is very surprising, I really expected him to start. Seems RR doesn't fancy him, maybe due to his error in the CL game.

Dolf

What a waste of everyone’s time, He needs to move asap.
This sums it up perfectly.
Maybe he isn’t good enough, maybe he is. But we shouldn’t have bought him if we’re barely going to use him. Waste of our money, his and our time, and his career.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I don't care about him not playing, he's not good enough. But surely we have to let him go in January if possible and replace him with someone useful at CM.

L1nk

How about any kind of consistant starts? If McTominay et al can kee serving up shite every week and still play I refuse to believe that one crappy match from VDB gets hum the sub treatment for months on end then, something else is going on.

regardless of all that and no matter what anyone thinks of VDB’s skills at this point, its baffling to me that our managers are seemingly intent on refusing to sell him, but at the same time will not play him either, we should have got rid in the summer and used the money to buy a midfielder we’ll actually use. There is genuinely no point in him wasting away here when we can buy someone who will actually play it’s completely baffling

edcunited1878

He was never under contention for a 6 role under Ole or now Rangnick.

Rangnick is looking to develop Mason over VDB, at least within this 4222 system. He should be selected off the bench today. Seems like he has the least flexibility in terms of actual position across attacking or forward positions.

He was never an orthodox central midfielder a la Matic or Fred. Still think a 433 would do wonders for him and the team, but not for today or the immediate near future.

Gandalf

I think that pretty much it, if he won't get a chance now he won't ever get it , thats him gone in jan
I would agree. The initial news on RR is that he is more likely to be selling than buying in January as he thinks the squad is too big so based on that and the comments from his agent I think the decision on DVB has already been made and it is just a question of where he goes and how much we can get.

luke511

DvdB is very reliant on playmakers around him. Many at/fans of Utd seem to think he can be that player himself, but he's more one of the gears in a machine than the central piece. They might both be Hole Players on PES, but Donny and Bruno are very different players, since Bruno is more of the playmaker who just tries whatever, while Donny is looking for triangles and other system features that simply aren't there. If you want a working Donny, you need two or three playmakers near him. At Ajax he had Frenkie, Schøne and Ziyech all around him and he pretty much just did some 1-2s and finishes, while working harder in midfield/defense after Frenkie left and his holes he left behind him weren't covered as much. If you can get Pogba to be more defensively sound and sharper about his markers, Fred to be more consistently composed on the ball and push Bruno into a free-ish role on the wings (or play Mata), you'd have a system wherein Donny can shine as a #10. But do you want to change your entire system for one guy? Perhaps when Sancho is a more solid piece and Pogba gels with the Rangnick system (and stays), he'd still have a chance, but I don't think you should hope for that too much.

When he was signed I thought he'd be a great Bruno back-up, but I (and I think the Utd scouts with me) didn't realise how reliant he is on the systems and players around him. Perhaps that's a downside of the Ajax school, since players who were raised elsewhere (Frenkie, Ziyech, Eriksen) instead of went through the entire system, performed better in recent years than players like Donny and Klaassen, no matter how technically capable they might be. Now you just see a player walking around feeling misunderstood in his runs and passes. I did like how he started out against YB and thought maybe there's still hope there, but looks like it wasn't enough. Hope he gets better at adapting while at his next club if he is really entering his final Utd days.
If he was played as the left sitting centre mid he would have Shaw to the side of him, Sancho in front and Maguire behind, all gifted passers good enough to play that style of football. We have the players it's just we never see them playing all at once because the likes of Fred, Rashford and Bruno get picked every game no matter how badly they play.

KingCavani

Was never going to fit under Ralk, he wants direct players who take risks.

Get him out in January so we can get someone else in. Hugely overrated player.

Ollie Derbyshire

Should be knocking down the managers door to be sold in January, I expect he already has and it’s been agreed he can leave if a decent offer comes in, otherwise why we aren’t trying him with no natural no 10’s available is crazy.

I get the argument that he’s not a 6 but even then our 6’s have been so inconsistent I don’t see how trying him there would be any worse tbh. It’s just another shocking transfer with zero idea on how we are going to use him.

Gandalf

If he was played as the left sitting centre mid he would have Shaw to the side of him, Sancho in front and Maguire behind, all gifted passers good enough to play that style of football. We have the players it's just we never see them playing all at once because the likes of Fred, Rashford and Bruno get picked every game no matter how badly they play.
Not one of those three is playing today and two of them are the managers decision so safe to say Ralf is not a Donny fan.

RUCK4444

Clearly Ralf sees whatever Ole did, there’s obviously an issue for the management, Ralfs playing a winger and striker in his preferred position ahead of him, could see him leaving in Jan if an adequate replacement can be found.

I’d have started him tonight in one of those no 10 spots tbf.

sugar_kane

I do feel bad for the guy but if Ralf isn't picking him either then something clearly isn't working.

Not a surprise to still see Ole getting blamed though, if Donny has 'downed tools' as mentioned above and can't be bothered to try and win his place under a brand new manager and system then that's on him I'm afraid.

luke511

Not one of those three is playing today and two of them are the managers decision so safe to say Ralf is not a Donny fan.
I meant generally, the likes of Fred, Bruno and Rashford start 9 times out of 10 when available and they aren't the tidiest passers, they can give the ball away a lot and create the impression our team's incapable of playing quick clean football appleman is referring to. When in truth utd has the players to play that style of football, they just hardly ever get picked all at once and set up that way.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So people blamed Ole for not playing him, yet the next manager that comes in leaves him out also.

Surely it's time to realise that he probably just isn't good enough?

redshaw

Hope for his sake he can be let go unless he can somehow show something with good sub appearances, maybe tonight if he can get 20-30 mins. It's been a very embarrassing situation for the club and I feel sorry for him to get so little game time for two seasons. He's a decent player that should be playing at another club

There was a game recently I think it was Atalanta away, he came on and put through so many good passes to the attackers. There was nothing happening before.

One sticking point is how much of the 35-40 million do we see back, it's another loss and wages paid for warming a seat in the stands. Ole talked about sorting out the signings but this must be one of the worst in appearance to the football world and damage our reputation even more as a place not to come to as we never seem to know what we're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.