g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Donny Van De Beek | he stays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Feels to me he could be sold before Fred,wouldn't have said that when Fulham were interested but since then it has gone quiet. I know Galatasaray were mentioned but seems they haven't got much money which is a pain for us.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
VdB was a Woodward signing. Ole never wanted him and never played him.

Solskjaer wasn't given control of the purse strings. And, quite obviously, neither was Fletcher given that he didn't become technical director until 2021 when Donny was signed in 2020.
And given that his job involves overseeing pathways to the first team for the young uns…

foolsgold

He’s a bit of a luxury player. Would look fantastic in an already great team, but isn’t the guy to lift a team on his owm.

Strelok

I feel really sorry for him. There have always been question marks about who exactly wanted him. Then, when he came, he never really got a run of games and was treated to a few sub appearances here and there.
I feel more sorry for us fans to have to watch that guy tbh. He's a headless chicken, slow, weak and timid and basically offered nothing at all. And no player should be given a free run of game without proving himself to deserve that imo.

My most livid memory of him is when he decided to pass the ball back while Rashford was moving toward a huge open space in the match against Leipzig couple years ago. Made me to seriously question his football brain.

Anyway hope he'd move on and revitalise his career somewhere else. And we'd get a nice fee for him.

croadyman

I feel more sorry for us fans to have to watch that guy tbh. He's a headless chicken, slow, weak and timid and basically offered nothing at all. And no player should be given a free run of game without proving himself to deserve that imo.

My most livid memory of him is when he decided to pass the ball back while Rashford was moving toward a huge open space in the match against Leipzig couple years ago. Made me to seriously question his football brain.

Anyway hope he'd move on and revitalise his career somewhere else. And we'd get a nice fee for him.
What would you consider a nice fee

Idxomer

15m would be a good price that won't show a loss on the books.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He’s done absolutely sod all for 3 years, is coming back from a serious injury and is on high wages. I’d be amazed if we can sell him at all let alone get 15m. It’ll be a loan with an option that they inevitably won’t take up when he doesn’t start for them either ala Everton.

Mainoldo

He's technical in what sense?
He’s an intelligent footballer who would suit the Spanish game which is a lot slower and more designed to his style.

I don’t understand why I’m explaining this.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s a bit of a luxury player. Would look fantastic in an already great team, but isn’t the guy to lift a team on his owm.
He hasn't got the require mentality to assert himself at a big club. The weight of Manchester United crushed his soul, you can see it on his face when he plays.

Trex

He’s an intelligent footballer who would suit the Spanish game which is a lot slower and more designed to his style.

I don’t understand why I’m explaining this.
Because I don't see it and I don't think I'm the only one.

Mainoldo

Because I don't see it and I don't think I'm the only one.
I’m talking about style not performance. What style does he give off to you then. Player comparison will be fine.

Plastic Evra

Feels to me he could be sold before Fred,wouldn't have said that when Fulham were interested but since then it has gone quiet. I know Galatasaray were mentioned but seems they haven't got much money which is a pain for us.
Reportedly Fred agreed terms with them and would happily accept that transfer but as you say Gala is only offering 6m£ IIRC and I'd guess that's like half what United would like at a minimum.

I'd be surprised you get anymore than 5m for DVB considering you're only selling the promise of some potential and the gamble of him bouncing back to decent levels.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Why? He’s 26 and a very good technical baller. He’s worth a lot more than £10m
Yeah we should hold out for minimum what we paid for him or preferably make profit, or let him go for free when his contract expires. He has been so good.

Trex

I’m talking about style not performance. What style does he give off to you then. Player comparison will be fine.
The abominable snowman or UFO. On a serious note I consider Odegaard technical, VDB is just safe and passive. He offers nothing on the ball were he does a little is his movement. He's a bit like Sabitzer.

Mainoldo

Yeah we should hold out for minimum what we paid for him or preferably make profit, or let him go for free when his contract expires. He has been so good.
Not this rubbish again. I’ll bet you £5 whatever fee we agree it exceeds £10m. His book value alone is round £15m. so for that price we are better off letting him go for free.

Mainoldo

The abominable snowman or UFO. On a serious note I consider Odegaard technical, VDB is just safe and passive. He offers nothing on the ball were he does a little is his movement. He's a bit like Sabitzer.
I disagree in a sense as In he’s exactly like Odegaard in style. But obviously there’s levels to this.

the_cliff

Happy he's going.

Any ideas how much we'll get for him ?

15 mill ? Sociedad don't seem like the type to spend a lot....

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not this rubbish again. I’ll bet you £5 whatever fee we agree it exceeds £10m. His book value alone is round £15m. so for that price we are better off letting him go for free.
How did you actually come to that conclusion? :lol:

That is flawed understanding of how accounts work.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
How did you actually come to that conclusion? :lol:

That is flawed understanding of how accounts work.
I'm an accountant (Not finished studying CIMA yet but enough to be more than competent with straight line depreciation/ ammortisation and it's a fairly simple calculation).

Wages hit P&L monthly as a direct expense so don't touch the balance sheet so we only ammortize the transfer fee over length of contract typically.

€39m in 2020 over 5 years and he's been here for 3 years so carrying value on a straight line balance with zero expected value after length of useful life means he has €15.6m carrying value which means we can only show a profit if we sell him for more than that.

Note: This doesn't take into account currency fluctuation at time of deal being made

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He’s done absolutely sod all for 3 years, is coming back from a serious injury and is on high wages. I’d be amazed if we can sell him at all let alone get 15m. It’ll be a loan with an option that they inevitably won’t take up when he doesn’t start for them either ala Everton.
If we can sell him for 15m, Murtough and the new negotiations guy deserve lifetime contracts.

marktan

I'm an accountant (Not finished studying CIMA yet but enough to be more than competent with straight line depreciation/ ammortisation and it's a fairly simple calculation).

Wages hit P&L monthly as a direct expense so don't touch the balance sheet so we only ammortize the transfer fee over length of contract typically.

€39m in 2020 over 5 years and he's been here for 3 years so carrying value on a straight line balance with zero expected value after length of useful life means he has €15.6m carrying value which means we can only show a profit if we sell him for more than that.

Note: This doesn't take into account currency fluctuation at time of deal being made
This logic only applies to showing a profit on the books / FFP.

Obviously £10m in the bank is better than having a player here for another 2 years who'll give us no value. Yes on the books it'll show up as a loss, but that money we paid for VDB is gone regardless of what we do, so £10m would be a great recoup for a player that's shown nothing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.