Donny Van De Beek | he stays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

I don't see the value in loaning him out, apart from getting someone to pay his salary for a year.

Its not like Luton would pay the fee to buy him when they get relegated at the end of the season.

May as well keep him see, if by some chase, Ten Hag can get a tune out of him.
If the Hag didn't played him last season he won't this.

Truth is Van de Beek is not up to the level we need, I'd go as far as saying he's not up to premier league standards. Couldn't cut it with Ole, Ragnick not in his loan at Everton. Cant even play with ten Hag who used to managed him at ajax.

At this point it's only a lose-lose situation. He's lost 3 years of football, his place in the national team and I doubt he'll get a chance on a proper team. If a massive shitfest for everyone involved.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
This takes us back to the “Donny must be shit in training” comment that has been made consistently here. Since none of us can watch Donny in training, it is fair to speculate that he is in fact shit in training and thus has never earned the right to be given a proper chance in competitive matches.

But I have to go back to McTominay, who must have been great in training and thus earned the right to perform in competitive matches consistently during the reign of Ole — who still has not found another club to be employed by — but performed abysmally during those competitive matches. I’ve never managed a professional football club but it seems to me that giving a player who performs brilliantly in training but abysmally in competitive matches should be set aside for another player and that that player be given a proper chance. If that other player is given a proper chance and joins McTominay in dropping more turds, then you keep moving on. We’re going to move McTominay and Donny on and that’s great for everyone, but it’s preposterous to suggest that Donny was given anywhere near the galaxy of chances that McTominay was.
I've been a huge critic of McTominay over the last few years, but I will say that when he has played he has generally been the best option out of the players we've had. During most of Ole's reign Fred-Scott, despite all the limitations and criticisms, were our most stable duo when the other options were Matic and Pogba who were both physically finished. Under Ralf and ETH he has been, despite his limitations, our best option to play as the DM (when Casemiro isn't playing obviously).

The huge issue has been that we haven't signed better players. From the players we did have he still deserved to start most of those games. Which is a completely different scenario from Donny who has never deserved a chance based on how he's performed (other than that small period at the start of his second season).

NoPace

Feels like we should have just sent him to Ajax, who lost Kudus and Klaasen, hope he did okay and then could be sold for 15M or so somewhere, but doesn't seem like they were interested. But yeah, a loan to a good team in a weaker league like Galatasary makes sense if he can do okay as a #10 somewhere and earn a move.

Still no real idea what happened here, he really did look good enough at Ajax that we'd have been able to spend the 90M or so on Mount/Amrabat on a proper #8 and had Van De Beek as a good 4th or 5th midfield option.

AshRK

Feels like we should have just sent him to Ajax, who lost Kudus and Klaasen, hope he did okay and then could be sold for 15M or so somewhere, but doesn't seem like they were interested. But yeah, a loan to a good team in a weaker league like Galatasary makes sense if he can do okay as a #10 somewhere and earn a move.

Still no real idea what happened here, he really did look good enough at Ajax that we'd have been able to spend the 90M or so on Mount/Amrabat on a proper #8 and had Van De Beek as a good 4th or 5th midfield option.
Surprised ajax were not even interested in him, which shows how crap he is and how crap a job his agent is doing.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Sanchez says hi.
Donny is worse than Sanchez, at least Sanchez had a few good games.
Alas I can't remember a single good game so far from Donny.

bringbackbebe

Donny is worse than Sanchez, at least Sanchez had a few good games.
Alas I can't remember a single good game so far from Donny.
What about that Ole's last game when he came on and a sub and scored?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Sanchez says hi.
I get that in sentiment, but in terms of what we got out of both….VDB just seems utterly pointless. He’s started 6 league games since he signed in 2020, played around 300 minutes per season in total, scored 2 assisted 1.

acnumber9

I don't see the value in loaning him out, apart from getting someone to pay his salary for a year.
That’s the value right there. A saving of £5-7m depending upon what source for his wages can be believed. That’s a bigger contribution than he provides as a player. We could’ve left a warm bib on the bench instead.

redshaw

Donny needs lots of playing time to get to the required level of fitness .I don't think he's the type to be an impactful sub and stay sharp, at least at the top level.

He came here fairly fresh and had a few good performances early on but then was left out and then looked very slow in matches. It's been a thing that has been mentioned by people at the club and those watching him live closely he was really struggling physically in his first year before his injuries .

Ole hoped to have him as a good squad member and actually talked him into coming. You can see the logic in having a stronger squad with more options like City but Donny needed to be first choice just to keep himself in that zone of fitness. I think he would've waned at Madrid too.

He should got to a team to get regular matches and build himself up again and only move higher up if he's part of a first team.

worldinmotion66

There’s definitely a good player in there but you need to be physically strong or energetic to survive as a deeper midfielder in the premier league, the intensity is so high. If Bruno wasn’t fit all the time he’d have gotten more of a chance as a #10

Teja

Surprised ajax were not even interested in him, which shows how crap he is and how crap a job his agent is doing.
Yeah this is pretty incredible given they lost Gravenberch, Kudus, Alvarez etc. Surely at least a loan for Donny to fit him into one of these slots would've made sense.

philippexyz

Most pointless, shambolic, dumb signing of them all, and he has strong competition in that category. Player limited both technically and athletically. Offers absolutely nothing. Can't even loan him, let alone sell him.

He'll stink on the bench for 2 more years collecting wages doing nothing and leave together with Maguire in 2025 when their contracts run out at the same time, it looks like...

ColvaleGoa

Sanchez had a lot of mileage on him. VDB was supposed to be entering his prime.
Good point.

But there were certain expectations from Sanchez...we got a busted flush at a horrendous price just to one up City .

Donny though right player maybe wrong place, wrong time.

Baxquux

Oh to be forgotten so soon :p
Have to defend Bebe a bit here. He had at least 3 promising games and scored a couple of goals. Clearly wasn't going to be a first team regular but if his rawness could have been ironed out a little better, he had the pace and strength and even a couple of the technical characteristics to do Ok in the league as a RFW bench option. The background of his arrival (no top flight football, formerly homeless, high fee) and those admittedly hilarious crosses against, I think, Wolves or whoever skewed the perception into some kind of meme player. If we'd paid, say, 1.5m for him and adjusted expectations accordingly, along with cultivating technical consistency, he could have been a Jonathan Greening style squad fill-in for at least a couple of seasons before moving back to Portugal or to a promoted side or wherever..

ArbeitervonWien

As he's staying for another season I'd suggest for him to get a new chant:

Oh, Donny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side.
The summer's gone, and all the roses falling,
It's you, it's you don't go and I must bide.

marktan

Sanchez was free no? Or I'm probably misremembering.

In terms of price vs actual ability he's got to be the worst. Sanchez, Maguire, Pogba, all had talent / for the latter two had good spells. Hell even Lukaku was good once (sadly before he bulked up and came to us). Donny just never was any good.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
He’ll go. He doesn’t seem like the type who wants to steal a living and I think even he knows he’s too far back in the pecking order to fight for a spot.

He’ll go Turkey.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Sanchez was free no? Or I'm probably misremembering.

In terms of price vs actual ability he's got to be the worst. Sanchez, Maguire, Pogba, all had talent / for the latter two had good spells. Hell even Lukaku was good once (sadly before he bulked up and came to us). Donny just never was any good.
Swapped with Mkhitryan

cpresc

I recall there was one game, where he played in central midfield, maybe came on as a sub, and he was really fired up and just everywhere and linking all the play. In that cameo he looked absolutely immense - does anyone recall the game and have a highlights video?

(other than that he's been absolutely useless, he has literally ghosted us)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I recall there was one game, where he played in central midfield, maybe came on as a sub, and he was really fired up and just everywhere and linking all the play. In that cameo he looked absolutely immense - does anyone recall the game and have a highlights video?

(other than that he's been absolutely useless, he has literally ghosted us)
It wasn't the Watford game that lost Ole his job?

cpresc

Does anyone recall it was the summer we were in for Grealish, then baulked at the asking price and signed Donny...

Status
Not open for further replies.