Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmAWinner

I'm pleasantly surprised by how quick we completed this deal. Just 3 days ago there were no strong links at all. Love these out of the blue signings.

GimmeThatBall_M8_NL

Love Ajax. They seem to sell players fast especially players that have been good to them.
True, they are known for it. When Ajax buys or extends a player they will also make a deal with Overmars to let them go for less money to a club they desire. They did the same with Ziyech. I do not have a source for this but they have done this for years.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Pretty much everything the club have done over the last 18 months suggests that we have a plan
Yup it does, but still people on here refuse to believe it...

K_Ash

OGS probably told him "do not worry Donny, the team will play 4-1-2-1-2"

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Few things I like about this

• For 40 million we appear to be getting a huge upgrade over Periera and Lingard.
  • He's a player from the Ajax school of football so his fundamentals and ideas will be solid whatever his natural abilities may be.
  • He seems to be a modern midfielder capable of quick thinking, energetic terrier like precessing etc which hopefully helps us move to a more progressive style of play
Only concern is a lack of possession players in midfield with that technical quality you need to dominate the ball with precision but you can't fix every issue in one window.

Chief123

Fans would be a lot more excited if the agreed price was 90 million euros. The fact that hes an absolute bargain is a shock. You do not get players of this quality for that cheap!

SSSSnake

About time we added some Dutch class in the ranks. Midfield is starting to look full of options now for a long season ahead. On to the next target which I hope is bloody Sancho.

EwanI Ted

Very happy we’re continuing to target younger players that could be around for a while. We have the outline of a team that could be around for 4 or 5 years. If we can get to the point where each summer we can focus on one or two high quality additions, instead of having to bulk buy each season, we’ll be in a great position.

Atheist

The Mirror is such a pathetic outlet - recycling stories from Dutch media as exclusives

Davicho

I think if anyone Fred is the most at threat with this. McTominay is newly signed up and I think the club are preparing for him to be the long term Matic replacement. It would explain why we are not seemingly looking for a purely defensive player.

Fred now looks like he could hold some value on the market compared to a season ago where he looked like a gigantic flop. If we could recoup a large percentage of the VDB fee it would be good business for us, as much as I like Fred.

Its difficult to know what the sweet spot is in terms of numbers. You can never have too many quality midfielders, but its hard to see us being able to give enough football to keep 6 of them happy and, more crucially, in good match form.
I think Mctominay's game time will be reduced the most in the short term. Fred and Matic will rotate in the DM spot, and Van de Beek will be the first change option for both, Pogba and Bruno.

jasT1981

Not getting my hopes up until I see an unveiling or at least and official statement from Utd. We had the whole 'personal terms agreed' ' player wants to come' etc and all the same messages regarding Sancho and look how that turned out.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I mean Ajax are in the Netherlands and Dortmund are in Germany. Ajax has about a 0% chance of becoming a long term threat to win international titles. Dortmund are trying to move past the 'selling club' image and are looking to challenge nationally and internationally. They have no actual intention of selling Sancho.
Ajax reached a UCL SF more recently than Dortmund and win their league every year but you've missed my point entirely anyway

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I like the lack of haggling, there's a really good relationship with Ajax, so might as well not place any bids well below their expected value.

TheForgottenOne

He'll offer great cover, but I can't see him displacing Bruno or Pogba.
He does not need to. We can't rely on 2 midfielders to play every single match in the whole season. Especially coming season, which will be more packed together than ever.

I am not sure Donny wil manage to keep up, but you can't get around the fact that he is very hard working, does have a lot of skill and depth in his game (maybe even a bit to much, but that was at Ajax) and is only 23 years old while having a good bag of experience. It will at least improve our quality in midfield as soon as Pogba or Fernandes are not available or in need of a rest.

Okey

We have loads of players at a great age now. Fecking hope it pays off over the next 2-3 years.
Spot on! We're actually set for great things in 2 to 3 years if we keep progressing. Should be peaking while the current lords of the manor are rebuilding.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Maybe people will stop thinking that United are totally inept and actually be happy for once?

Or are we still going to keep banging that drum?

Well happy for this signing and hope it’s one of many

TheForgottenOne

I like the lack of haggling, there's a really good relationship with Ajax, so might as well not place any bids well below their expected value.
If we are in contact with them anyways, might as well just pick up Tagliafico as well. Williams was absolutely crap last few matches and Shaw can use some real competition/back-up. Tagliafico is not to expensive.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think Mctominay's game time will be reduced the most in the short term. Fred and Matic will rotate in the DM spot, and Van de Beek will be the first change option for both, Pogba and Bruno.
We have 2 domestic cup competitions we need fillers for too. Basically a game every 3 or 4 days for 9 months.
There will be loads on injuries. Plenty of games to go round for all.
Up to each player now to impress the coaches and get game time. If they can’t, ship them out.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think if anyone Fred is the most at threat with this. McTominay is newly signed up and I think the club are preparing for him to be the long term Matic replacement. It would explain why we are not seemingly looking for a purely defensive player.

Fred now looks like he could hold some value on the market compared to a season ago where he looked like a gigantic flop. If we could recoup a large percentage of the VDB fee it would be good business for us, as much as I like Fred.

Its difficult to know what the sweet spot is in terms of numbers. You can never have too many quality midfielders, but its hard to see us being able to give enough football to keep 6 of them happy and, more crucially, in good match form.
Fred is just a far better play than McTomminay though so this doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.