e-petition to release the govt Hillsborough files

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
http://www.joeybarton.com/hillsborough-justice-campaign-the-truth/

Joey Barton met with some of the relatives and those involved in the campaign (video inside).
Very interesting point made in this vid. One of the people talking to Joey was also at Heysel. He said that the fans who were crushed that day urinated on themselves, coz it was being squeezed out of them. He thinks that this might've been the seed from which the story emerged that fans were urinating on other fans or on the police at Hillsborough.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=324782

The ITV documentary from last night. They did an excellent job. Hard-hitting & tough to watch at times, but for anyone that can spare 47 minutes, it's well worth it.
I was watching this, and its the first time since it happened that i have seen it like that. I was 9 when it happened and i remember it like yesterday, but never really understood what really happend.
Im not ashamed to say I had a tear in my eye looking at it, the way it was handled as it occured and from then on. Awful Awful Awful thing to happen.

RIP to them, and I hope they and their families get the justice they deserve.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Can someone briefly explain as to why it's believed to have been a cover up? I wasn't born when Hillsborough happened.

Dave89

See the above headline. Evidence was covered up on a wide scale

Dave89

That front page text:

A detailed picture of how the evidence of junior police officers present at the Hillsborough football disaster was systematically distorted can be revealed today, as an independent panel prepared to deliver the findings of the exhaustive investigation into the afternoon which claimed the lives of 96 fans.
The Independent has obtained four previously unpublished witness statements written by police constables, who were all on duty at the Leppings Lane end on the disastrous day of Liverpool’s FA Cup semi final with Nottingham Forest in 1989. They show how the documents, originally prepared for an internal inquiry, were altered prior to Lord Taylor’s official inquiry later that year to ensure that South Yorkshire Police emerged from the tragedy in a significantly more positive light.
The testimony of one constable, 31 year-old Martin McLoughlin, was crossed through so two paragraphs of criticises were entirely deleted. PC McLoughlin, who had nine years’ service with the force, described how police had “appeared to be a bit thin on the ground for the numbers of people involved” on the fateful afternoon of 15 April 1989. He also detailed how officers on duty at the stadium had a “poor supply of personal radios” when the catastrophic decision to allow fans to enter the Leppings Lane end through an exit gate led to many being
Continued on Page 6.

Guy Incognito

What I was trying to say is that I wouldn't blame Liverpool fans for it, but at the same time, they didn't help the situation with ticketless fans. But if, as you say, they weren't there in sufficient numbers to cause a problem, then I can understand your side of it.
The ticketless fans, like the drunk and spectators turning up late, were of a minority, so it wasn't a direct cause for the disaster.

You could argue police fickleness and imbecility, the growing distrust by law enforcements over the working class and a culture of paying on the gate, moments before a capacity match ignited it. Beardsley hitting the post early on was the spark; had he scored god knows what would have happened.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Anyone know what time these new files are going to be released?
They have been released this morning to the families. It will probably be latter in the day before the public will see them.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Anyone know what time these new files are going to be released?
From the BBC:

People in Liverpool are being asked to observe a two-minute silence as a mark of respect to the 96 who died.

During the silence - to be held at 15:06 BST to mark the time the game was stopped - the bells at Liverpool Town Hall Municipal Buildings on Dale Street and Liverpool Parish Church will ring out 96 times.

A vigil to mark the release of the papers will take place at St George's Plateau near to Liverpool Lime Street station at 18:00.
So it would make sense that the papers are released before the silence or vigil I guess.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
DC making his statement now on BBC Parliament.

Says the reports are deeply distressing - including the attempt to blame the fans. Failure of leadership on the scene, delay in getting treatment.

Evidence shows many could've been saved after 3:15 - as many as 31 I think he said.

Attempts including The Sun to blame the fans were "clearly wrong", and the source was a Sheffield newsagency.

Negative comments on the police were removed. New evidence that police researched the past character of the victims in order to affect the character/reputation of the victims.

Child victims were tested for alcohol.

No evidence the fans were to blame - stresses they were not to blame for what happened.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So in the last few minutes the Prime Minister has revealed; "164 police statements were significantly amended.
What a fecking shame. Atleast the truth has come out.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
fecking hell, what a disgrace. Most of those officers will be retired now and unaccountable you would presume.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
What I was trying to say is that I wouldn't blame Liverpool fans for it, but at the same time, they didn't help the situation with ticketless fans. But if, as you say, they weren't there in sufficient numbers to cause a problem, then I can understand your side of it.
Tbf this was an issue every previous FA Cup Semi that United or Liverpool were involved in for about two decades prior.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Hope this can bring some measure of closure to the families of the 96 and the survivors of the disaster. In football terms I hate Liverpool FC but football is only a game this is real life and in real life nobody deserves the fate of the 96 and their families. They deserved better. Hopefully now those who were robbed of their lives at Hillsborough can rest peacefully.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Can anyone go to jail for this? Or will they be immune to prosecution?
Apparently the misuse of the Police National Computer can result in charges of Misconduct in Public Office in certain circumstances.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It'll be a disgrace if the accused doesn't get punished for all this. It's a big shame that police reports etc were amended to make it look like it was the fault of liverpool supporters.

Chabon

Can anyone go to jail for this? Or will they be immune to prosecution?
It's hard to see it ever happening, but then I never would have expected there to be a criminal investigation into Bloody Sunday.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
The woman speaking now in the commons fighting back the tears.

164 police documents altered is mental, and I saw a bit about the police trying to search through the victims past so they could call their characters into question.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Mark Thomas ‏@markthomasinfo

There are two types of Sun editors: those that are facing trial and those that should be.

.Phil1968

The bastards who covered this up should be called to account and if possible prosecuted for their part in this.If that means dragging Thatcher and the government of the time to the Commons to explain how much they knew about the cover up then so be it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Kelvin McKenzie what an absolute scumbag. Those poor people and their families. They even did alcohol tests on the children. Disgraceful.

AARRONB06

Shocking! It really would be a touch of class if United fans held aloft a Justice banner away at Anfield next week. Will never happen though! Happy for everyone effected.