Music Ed Sheeran

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He has talent but I don't think he has anything to say at all.

United Hobbit

I don't mind the songs where he sings eg Perfect/ I think it was A team? However Sing and the one where he half raps that he "met this girl" (not sure of the title) are amongst my top 10 most hated songs, also shape of you, urgh.

Heart FM absolutely love him. Fair play to him for being more successful than I ever will but his music isn't for me.

Theres a song he has done recently that comes on the radio I'm not sure of the title he's with Chance the Rapper, that is ok I don't have to instantly change channel.

Heardy

The No 6 collaboration has some great tracks. Cross me, beautiful people and take me back to london are the standouts for me, but 1000 nights and south of the border are also great.

Never quite understood why he gets so much stick - he’s way more talented and versatile than most in today’s market

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The No 6 collaboration has some great tracks. Cross me, beautiful people and take me back to london are the standouts for me, but 1000 nights and south of the border are also great.

Never quite understood why he gets so much stick - he’s way more talented and versatile than most in today’s market
Because he makes popular music. We're in a society now where it "un-cool" to like the norm or people at the top of the tree. Coldplay was cool until they blew up massively with their 2nd and 3rd albums and people started going on about generic music blah blah...

Reality is, that's how these guys make as much money as they do. No different to the shit Michael Jackson or the Beatles were pumping out. They're all amazing musicians but alt music doesn't pay the bills.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Because he makes popular music. We're in a society now where it "un-cool" to like the norm or people at the top of the tree. Coldplay was cool until they blew up massively with their 2nd and 3rd albums and people started going on about generic music blah blah...

Reality is, that's how these guys make as much money as they do. No different to the shit Michael Jackson or the Beatles were pumping out. They're all amazing musicians but alt music doesn't pay the bills.
Disagree, i really want to hate coldplay but cant help liking everything they do.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Ed is like the opposite of the Chapelle/Kanye anecdote : “My life is dope and I do dope shit”

Ed is more like “My life is dull and I do dull shit”

marktan

Creatively he's very good - X was a great album and very re-listenable. Since then he's put out mostly commercial pop, some good, some not so good, but it's understandable as it sells. If you keep doing the same shit that you started off with then people start labelling you as a genre and get bored very quickly.

You see it all the time with artists now - Bruno Mars floats between many genres, Rihanna last album had a distinct sound to her previous ones, hell even Bieber went with a dance album on his last one and is rumoured to be going with a new sound for his next one (can't remember what genre he said). You have to change up and stay up with the times nowadays or you die - Katy Perry and Gaga both came out with samey pop albums recently and both struggled. Ed almost had the opposite problem - he was pretty unommercial to begin and now's become commercial. But the guys still in his mid late twenties so I'm curious to see where he goes next.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's this "he's a nice guy" stuff that annoys me. How can you KNOW that?

This is a guy who's worryingly obsessed with writing songs about himself...and not songs about stuff that's happened or his experiences, just songs, about himself, and why you should love him. When he performs, he comes out with a guitar, and he plays on is own, and he sings on his own. He doesn't allow anyone else on stage like other solo artists do. He'd rather sit there looping his own guitar, and then looping himself banging on his own guitar to make a drum sound, than have backing performers or artists. He isn't amazingly good at guitar, so it's not part of the act. It's just that he doesn't want anyone on stage performing with him. He stops mid set to point out that "this is all me" to make sure everyone knows no one else is on stage with him.

What does this tell you about whether he's a nice guy or not? He might be...he might be a nice guy who's just horribly insecure about himself despite being a world famous musician, but you don't know him, so you don't know.

I read something on Facebook once called "the 10 most interesting facts about Ed Sheeran"...it was written by someone annoyed at people calling him boring. One of the facts was that his father was an art historian...literally the most boring fact I've ever read about anyone. Another was that he once stole a bottle of peri peri sauce from Nandos. If I did that I wouldn't tell anyone, because it's so pointless and uninteresting. You can get it in any shop for like a pound. He clearly isn't a very interesting person, which is probably partly why he can't write songs about interesting things.

He writes catchy tunes (apparently) and has made a huge success out of it. Fair play, no one can argue that, but stop this nonsense. Stop role modelling people as human beings just because they wrote a song you like. Jackk White wrote some songs I like...he's still a fecking mental bellend
What's Jack White done?!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's nothing wrong with singing about yourself. The only problem with Sheeran, really, is that his music is absolute dreck.

Even that wouldn't normally irritate me though given it's so removed from music I'd actually like that it registers less as music and more like wallpaper. Still, seeing the same beige wallpaper everywhere becomes tiresome. Doesn't help when he starts popping up in films and TV commercials too.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
There's nothing wrong with singing about yourself. The only problem with Sheeran, really, is that his music is absolute dreck.

Even that wouldn't normally irritate me though given it's so removed from music I'd actually like that it registers less as music and more like wallpaper. Still, seeing the same beige wallpaper everywhere becomes tiresome. Doesn't help when he starts popping up in films and TV commercials too.
At least he got a brutal death in GOT.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Inoffensive dynamic-less music with nothing to it for a generation that don't give a shit about music other than for it to play in the background while they browse stuff on their phones.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Creatively he's very good - X was a great album and very re-listenable. Since then he's put out mostly commercial pop, some good, some not so good, but it's understandable as it sells. If you keep doing the same shit that you started off with then people start labelling you as a genre and get bored very quickly.

You see it all the time with artists now - Bruno Mars floats between many genres, Rihanna last album had a distinct sound to her previous ones, hell even Bieber went with a dance album on his last one and is rumoured to be going with a new sound for his next one (can't remember what genre he said). You have to change up and stay up with the times nowadays or you die - Katy Perry and Gaga both came out with samey pop albums recently and both struggled. Ed almost had the opposite problem - he was pretty unommercial to begin and now's become commercial. But the guys still in his mid late twenties so I'm curious to see where he goes next.
I'm not denying Ed had talent with his first album, but let's not pretend that any of these artists write their own stuff once they make it - they "collaborate" with songwriters. Every single one of his singles from X were written by other people. Not that it's his fault, because after he blew up he would've been non stop gigging and touring so very little time to write anything. But it's a symptom of modern music and the need to be constantly in the public eye lest you get left behind. It's just artists playing song after song from the same hit factory. It's not a surprise that so much music sounds the same nowadays.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Inoffensive dynamic-less music with nothing to it for a generation that don't give a shit about music other than for it to play in the background while they browse stuff on their phones.
Huh. I remember old people saying the same thing back when I was a teenager too. Uncanny. :p

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Huh. I remember old people saying the same thing back when I was a teenager too. Uncanny. :p
Yeah but the difference is that this generation are all idiots who do the floss so who the feck cares what they think about anything?

Classical Mechanic

I'm not denying Ed had talent with his first album, but let's not pretend that any of these artists write their own stuff once they make it - they "collaborate" with songwriters. Every single one of his singles from X were written by other people. Not that it's his fault, because after he blew up he would've been non stop gigging and touring so very little time to write anything. But it's a symptom of modern music and the need to be constantly in the public eye lest you get left behind. It's just artists playing song after song from the same hit factory. It's not a surprise that so much music sounds the same nowadays.
He is involved in writing many of more recent hits. He has the sole writing credit on Perfect which is one of his biggest hits. Many of his songs he wrote in collaboration with a long time writing partner called Amy Wadge. Photograph he wrote on tour with the guys from Snow Patrol. Shape of You he was writing with a song writing team with Rhianna in mind but the record company wanted him to do it. He writes for other artists a fair bit, The Weeknd, One Direction, Bieber are a few.

The way the pop industry works these days is highly collaborative, the record companies often seek input from multiple writers and you’ll see crazy amounts of writing credits on some songs. I think Louis Bell said this is because there’s such high demand for songs that it’s the only way to satisfy it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He is involved in writing many of more recent hits. He has the sole writing credit on Perfect which is one of his biggest hits. Many of his songs he wrote in collaboration with a long time writing partner called Amy Wadge. Photograph he wrote on tour with the guys from Snow Patrol. Shape of You he was writing with a song writing team with Rhianna in mind but the record company wanted him to do it. He writes for other artists a fair bit, The Weeknd, One Direction, Bieber are a few.

The way the pop industry works these days is highly collaborative, the record companies often seek input from multiple writers and you’ll see crazy amounts of writing credits on some songs. I think Louis Bell said this is because there’s such high demand for songs that it’s the only way to satisfy it.
We should start our own music factory. Every song should have a hook at the start so people know it's one of ours. Cina sucks or something to that effect.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
GOAT of the 10s

Lennon, McCartney, Presley, Hendrix, Joplin, Lauper, Jackson, Nelson, Houston. Sheeran...

"You know she beat me at darts and then she beat me at pool
And then she kissed me like there was nobody else in the room
As last orders were called was when she stood on the stool
After dancing to Kaleigh, singing to trad tunes"

As inspiring as a wet sock stuck in the washing machine's gears.

Classical Mechanic

Lennon, McCartney, Presley, Hendrix, Joplin, Lauper, Jackson, Nelson, Houston. Sheeran...

Here's some more Ed news to warm the cockles of your heart. On Spotify only Drake got more streams in the 2010s..........in the whole world!!!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

We all live in a yellow submarine
Yellow submarine, yellow submarine

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
GOAT of the 10s

As inspiring as a wet sock stuck in the washing machine'
Here's some more Ed news to warm the cockles of your heart. On Spotify only Drake got more streams in the 2010s..........in the whole world!!!
Aw, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. My balls hurt too.

UnrelatedPsuedo

The Beatles and Jackson created whole genres and changed music. They had multiple phases of their careers where they switched the whole thing up.

Sheeran is making the same tired lowest common denominator shite that he’s made since day one.

He makes some nice songs, but it’s all very middle of the road.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Quoting a song that bought into counter culture is pretty daft. It hasn’t aged well as a song, but it’s seminal.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Quoting a song that bought into counter culture is pretty daft. It hasn’t aged well as a song, but it’s seminal.
Meh, people always think older stuff was better and the popular music from their generation was genius but new stuff crap. I’m no big fan of Sheeran but he’s doing something right.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sheeran is as good as proof as any that sales are a bad measure of quality. It ain't a generational thing either as every decade has mega-popular mainstream trash.

What that piece really indicates is how much the mechanics behind getting a #1 have changed in the last 15 years or so.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The Beatles and Jackson created whole genres and changed music. They had multiple phases of their careers where they switched the whole thing up.

Sheeran is making the same tired lowest common denominator shite that he’s made since day one.

He makes some nice songs, but it’s all very middle of the road.
Of course he is because it sells music and puts arses on seats in stadiums.

Beatles and Jackson had the benefit of not having to follow themselves. There’s a lot of shit with the Beatles that I can’t stand now. You put somebody like Sheeran in the 60’s, he’d be as big as Elvis or the Beatles because his music appeals every class and denomination.

Ludens the Red

Last week I was curious as to what the rest of the world listen to. I mean I know in England people mostly listen to garbage but I thought maybe Europe is different so I looked at Germany, Italy, Denmark to name a few to see what song was most played on Spotify.. and here it was

There is no hope.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Last week I was curious as to what the rest of the world listen to. I mean I know in England people mostly listen to garbage but I thought maybe Europe is different so I looked at Germany, Italy, Denmark to name a few to see what song was most played on Spotify.. and here it was

There is no hope.
Jesus christ thats horrible