g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Eden Hazard 16/17 Performances

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Ronaldo no longer in the Top 5 (I assume Messi is)?
Messi is a given in any Top 5 discussion obviously.

Ronaldo's no longer a Top 5 player for me. His all round game has completely declined & he's almost completely reliant on his WC teammates to produce these days.

Not to mention Bale, who is also better than Hazard.
Not a big Bale fan. He isn't even in my Top 10, much less Top 5.

Robbie Boy

Messi is a given in any Top 5 discussion obviously.

Ronaldo's no longer a Top 5 player for me. His all round game has completely declined & he's almost completely reliant on his WC teammates to produce these days.

Not a big Bale fan. He isn't even in my Top 10, much less Top 5.
Serious question: Do you have any objectivity when talking about Chelsea / Chelsea players? Your bias is pretty boring at this stage.

You do realise that Bale, the player you don't rate had a similar scoring record to Hazard in the PL and scored over 20 once (PL goals), which Hazard has yet to do. He's also outscored Hazard at international level in less games and playing with a far weaker national team.

Supermonkey

Supports
Chelsea
Probably lamb to the wolves saying this on a united forum, but ranking players by position, i would only certainly rank current post 30 Ronaldo as top 5 in the world specifically as a striker (where he ranks in the top 5 would be a good discussion). As a winger or just attacking midfielder im not certain he would make top 5.

Just ranking as a footballer certainly top 5.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

"Not a big game player"
It's a stat to manipulate his big game influence. Liverpool were 8th when he scored against them last May, that's not a big game. Chelsea v Spurs was 10th v 2nd, again not a big game. Your big games last season were against the teams near you on points, Stoke, Everton and Swansea, didn't score against any of them.

His goals against the top 7 this season were United (4-0), Everton (5-0 - not really a big game either), City (3-1) and Arsenal (3-1), all of these teams putting in one of, if not their worst performances of the season. Without his goals you'd still have won all of those games, little bit of big game stat padding from Eden.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's a stat to manipulate his big game influence. Liverpool were 8th when he scored against them last May, that's not a big game. Chelsea v Spurs was 10th v 2nd, again not a big game. Your big games last season were against the teams near you on points, Stoke, Everton and Swansea, didn't score against any of them.

His goals against the top 7 this season were United (4-0), Everton (5-0 - not really a big game either), City (3-1) and Arsenal (3-1), all of these teams putting in one of, if not their worst performances of the season. Without his goals you'd still have won all of those games, little bit of big game stat padding from Eden.
The Chelsea v Spurs game last season was the biggest of our season. Of course our season was a disaster but it was an massive game that the fans were desperate not to lose.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791

Sorry but i think this post is more of stat un-padding on your part, give where credit is due. All of those teams he has scored against are all considered top teams in the league no matter their respective league positions at any given stage.

hn4manunited

I truly rated and enjoyed watching this player until his performance and attitude last season. Truly great players don't take a year off.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I truly rated and enjoyed watching this player until his performance and attitude last season. Truly great players don't take a year off.
So playing through pain because your struggling team needs you is equivalent to a bad attitude?

Robbie Boy

So you don't know what was supposedly wrong but are sure that his 'attitude stank' anyway?
His on pitch demeanour and flirting with PSG was caused by a 'hip problem'? Ok. Chelsea fans on here were slating his attitude last season but you clearly know better than everyone. Well done.

Robbie Boy

No seriously: You say that you have no idea about his health issues, but at the same time claim that they have nothing to do with him not playing at his best?
I never said anything about 'playing at his best'. He openly flirted with PSG and looked totally disinterested last season. Is this one of these Caf things when we pretend something didn't happen? Are we going to pretend that he, along with other Chelsea players, didn't play completely within themselves last season as it was clear something was drastically wrong at the club? Ok then.

He's a top talent but yeah, his attitude was shite last season. I don't see how this can even be debated :houllier:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Do people think Hazard is the only player to ever play through injuries or something? Van Persie said in 2014 that he has been 'playing through pain' for over 6 years. I'm sure there's many many others.

Robbie Boy

Do people think Hazard is the only player to ever play through injuries or something? Van Persie said in 2014 that he has been 'playing through pain' for over 6 years. I'm sure there's many many others.
Hey! His hip injury (which seems to have only been verified by his father so no agenda driven bias there) caused his attitude to stink and to flirt with PSG. Understandable really..

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I never said anything about 'playing at his best'. He openly flirted with PSG and looked totally disinterested last season. Is this one of these Caf things when we pretend something didn't happen? Are we going to pretend that he, along with other Chelsea players, didn't play completely within themselves last season as it was clear something was drastically wrong at the club? Ok then.

He's a top talent but yeah, his attitude was shite last season. I don't see how this can even be debated :houllier:
Chelsea and Hazard had a bad season, that surely can't be debated. Them finishing 10th at the end of the season & Mourinho's exit are the undeniable results of that.

What can be debated are possible reasons for subpar performances. Some people are just extremely quick coming up with dodgy things like 'mentality', 'attitude' as explanations for everything. In reality it's no less of a speculation than anything else.

Robbie Boy

Chelsea and Hazard had a bad season, that surely can't be debated. Them finishing 10th at the end of the season & Mourinho's exit are the undeniable results of that.

What can be debated are possible reasons for subpar performances. Some people are just extremely quick coming up with dodgy things like 'mentality', 'attitude' as explanations for everything. In reality it's no less of a speculation than anything else.
His 'injury' is really just as much speculation, if you ask me. I gave it a Google and it appears that all of these reports stemmed from Hazard and his father after he had endured a thoroughly underwhelming campaign. Hmmmmm.

If you think he looked like he gave a feck last season then fair play to you; anyone with a set of eyes can see that there was clearly something wrong with his attitude on the pitch. Also, openly flirting with PSG is pretty poor form and not the sign of someone who had a good attitude at the time. But hey, you can continue to ignore these things if you wish.

After all, you bizarrely said that I said something about him "playing at his best" which I never did. Players play through injuries, it happens, and if their form dips during that period then it's a valid excuse for not playing to their full capacity. But it's not an excuse for looking like you don't give a feck and stating that it would be "hard to say no" if PSG come calling. Seems kind of odd that he was so drastically out of form because of this 'hip injury' but it's now fully cleared up (all speculation) and he's back to his best, just as things are all rosy at Chelsea again. Big coincidence, I guess.

BlueViper

Supports
Chelsea
Pretty sure him having some sort of niggling injury at least was confirmed by Hiddink too? And that he missed a run of games as a result? Whether that injury was enough to have the effect we saw last season or whether it was to do with attitude is another question entirely (and completely speculative either way).

What is a fact is that he's been brilliant virtually every other season before the last one, so it is actually hard to question his mentality. In the title winning season he carried the team in the latter half of the season. It's just likely last season was a freak one with a combination of a lot of factors that included on-field and off-field situations, and he clearly wasn't the only player affected.

Robbie Boy

What is a fact is that he's been brilliant virtually every other season before the last one, so it is actually hard to question his mentality. In the title winning season he carried the team in the latter half of the season. It's just likely last season was a freak one with a combination of a lot of factors that included on-field and off-field situations, and he clearly wasn't the only player affected.
Yup, no doubting that for sure.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I still think Costa has been better than Hazard this season. Hazard is a good player, but not among the best players in the world for me. If football was played based on holding and running with the ball and beating people in areas in and around the final third he would be world class. But too many times when I watch him he doesn't have world class end product or consistent overall influence in games. He is still a very very good player though (and before someone crucify me, his end product is good, but not world class for me).

Do most people here believe he is the best player in the PL?

BlueViper

Supports
Chelsea
I still think Costa has been better than Hazard this season. Hazard is a good player, but not among the best players in the world for me. If football was played based on holding and running with the ball and beating people in areas in and around the final third he would be world class. But too many times when I watch him he doesn't have world class end product or consistent overall influence in games. He is still a very very good player though (and before someone crucify me, his end product is good, but not world class for me).

Do most people here believe he is the best player in the PL?
Can't speak about the PL, but in Chelsea it's splitting hairs. Hazard is much more talented, but Costa in his own right is a very effective player. This season Costa has produced more game-winning product than Hazard but if I had to choose between the two, in a game that looks like we're clueless, I would pass it to Hazard and hope he does something special.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
His 'injury' is really just as much speculation, if you ask me. I gave it a Google and it appears that all of these reports stemmed from Hazard and his father after he had endured a thoroughly underwhelming campaign. Hmmmmm.
He also missed 1,5 months for treatment of a hip injury towards the end of the campaign. Which makes the story quite plausible.
If you think he looked like he gave a feck last season then fair play to you; anyone with a set of eyes can see that there was clearly something wrong with his attitude on the pitch. Also, openly flirting with PSG is pretty poor form and not the sign of someone who had a good attitude at the time. But hey, you can continue to ignore these things if you wish.
Yes, I think he did give a feck. In the games I saw, Chelsea had massive problems in the transition from build up play to the final third. Hazard ran back a lot to help his team moving the ball forward. (In many situations giving the ball to Hazard was the main part of build up.) So he shifted his position closer towards his own goal because his team simply needed that from him. As a result, he was drawn back into deep positions a lot, just like Chelsea's team was as a whole, and his impact in the final third was hampered.

A lot of the criticism I read after those games was about him not being decisive in the final third (and claiming lack of interest as the reason, of course). But they clearly hadn't noticed that he actually put in a lot of effort to make things happen.

That's why I suspect that whole 'clearly didn't give a feck' thing to be a myth, at least largely. Of course I saw only some games, people who followed every game will have a better overview. But that was my firm impression.
After all, you bizarrely said that I said something about him "playing at his best" which I never did. Players play through injuries, it happens, and if their form dips during that period then it's a valid excuse for not playing to their full capacity. But it's not an excuse for looking like you don't give a feck and stating that it would be "hard to say no" if PSG come calling. Seems kind of odd that he was so drastically out of form because of this 'hip injury' but it's now fully cleared up (all speculation) and he's back to his best, just as things are all rosy at Chelsea again. Big coincidence, I guess.
As explained above I neither agree with him looking disinterested, nor playing half as badly as many people claim.

All in all: The team being in a bad tactical shape, the coach being overreliant on his best player, him getting drawn out of position as a consequence, and all this while not really being fit - that mix of reasons sounds like a much better explanation for a bad season to me, than last year's POTY suddenly losing interest in playing efficient football.

Diego Costa wasn't half the player he is now. Pedro looked like he's finished and was laughed at a lot in this forum. Now they're doing fine. Did they lose interest too?

Robbie Boy

He also missed 1,5 months for treatment of a hip injury towards the end of the campaign. Which makes the story quite plausible.

Yes, I think he did give a feck. In the games I saw, Chelsea had massive problems in the transition from build up play to the final third. Hazard ran back a lot to help his team moving the ball forward. (In many situations giving the ball to Hazard was the main part of build up.) So he shifted his position closer towards his own goal because his team simply needed that from him. As a result, he was drawn back into deep positions a lot, just like Chelsea's team was as a whole, and his impact in the final third was hampered.

A lot of the criticism I read after those games was about him not being decisive in the final third (and claiming lack of interest as the reason, of course). But they clearly hadn't noticed that he actually put in a lot of effort to make things happen.

That's why I suspect that whole 'clearly give a feck' thing to be a myth, at least largely. Of course I saw only some games, people who followed every game will have a better overview. But that was my firm impression.

As explained above I neither agree with him looking disinterested, nor playing half as badly as many people claim.

All in all: The team being in a bad tactical shape, the coach being overreliant on his best player, him getting drawn out of position as a consequence, and all this while not really being fit - that mix of reasons sounds like a much better explanation for a bad season to me, than last year's POTY suddenly losing interest in playing efficient football.

Diego Costa wasn't half the player he is now. Pedro looked like he's finished and was laughed at a lot in this forum. Now they're doing fine. Did they lose interest too?
Yep he looked totally disinterested and openly flirted with PSG. The whole Chelsea team - well most anyway - downed tools and Hazard definitely didn't look interested. I mean Google it and you'll find plenty of articles on the topic. Your post is needlessly long.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yep he looked totally disinterested and openly flirted with PSG. The whole Chelsea team - well most anyway - downed tools and Hazard definitely didn't look interested. I mean Google it and you'll find plenty of articles on the topic. Your post is needlessly long.
Okay, looks like a good time to quit it. At least we'll agree on that.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea

He's ridiculous. Lampard recently called him the best player he's ever played with.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Simply ridiculous levels of talent, and we've been incredible fortunate to have him at the Bridge. Without question the most talented player who has ever worn our shirt.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Still not among the best players in Europe imo. His talent is world class, but he doesn't use it to influence and impose himself on games consistently enough for me. His recent form has been great though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
"No value in the market".
I die a little every time I remember those words.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Be interesting over the next 2/3 seasons to see if he can go up that next gear in turns of his goals/assists, and do it in Europe too.

A top, top player though. Seems likeable enough too, from the limited I know of him.

AshfordLad

I still dont see how he can be put in the same class as Neymar and Bale.