Eden Hazard 16/17 Performances

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I disagree. If Hazard had Barcelonas team he would have a lot better stats. Hazards peak is higher then Neymar for me. People underestimate how much Hazard gets fouled. He constantly has at least 2 people on him, while Neymar has freedom in Barcelona.

To add on top, an inform Hazard is the epitome of the beautiful game.
He really doesn't any freedom. They both get constantly hacked.

Womp

idiot
You mean to tell me Nani was ever considered the best player in the league at any point in his United career? Been watching the league since 97/98 and I think I missed that part.
Playing in different eras with different competition, hardly a valid comparison. Besides, I'm not arguing Nani was as good as Hazard, just simply stating his performances in that season hardly make any comparison "laughable". He was almost single handedly winning us points when Rooney wasn't in the team that season.

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
too inconsistant for my liking, holds onto the ball too long sometimes, doesnt take enough shots.
Can be frustrating to watch "live" because of his moments of brilliance sometimes papering over the cracks of what I mentioned above

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
This Nani comparison has to end here & now. Nani was a good servant for United don't get me wrong but Hazard's already one of the greatest players ever to play in England.

You see football legends like Henry, Souness, Zola, Neville, Cruyff, Xavi, Carragher, Zidane, Pele etc constantly waxing lyrical about him all the time then you come on here & he's not on the level of Godin, Alaba & Nani. :lol:

Ffs, show some respect lads.

Also, one more thing. Where is this idea he's not a consistent player coming from? We're literally about to stroll to another League title because of his consistency.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Playing in different eras with different competition, hardly a valid comparison. Besides, I'm not arguing Nani was as good as Hazard, just simply stating his performances in that season hardly make any comparison "laughable". He was almost single handedly winning us points when Rooney wasn't in the team that season.
Five years ago is hardly a massively different era, though. Nani was great at his best for us and sometimes people forget that, but Hazard's now had two individual seasons where he's largely been considered to be the best player in the league. Nani was one of our best players in 10/11 but he never managed to reach that level. He was a key figure in 10/11 but to say he was 'single-handedly' winning us points negates Berbatov and Hernandez's goals, as well as Vidic's performaces in defence that season. Hazard's comfortably better than Nani.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This Nani comparison has to end here & now. Nani was a good servant for United don't get me wrong but Hazard's already one of the greatest players ever to play in England.

You see football legends like Henry, Souness, Zola, Neville, Cruyff, Xavi, Carragher, Zidane, Pele etc constantly waxing lyrical about him all the time then you come on here & he's not on the level of Godin, Alaba & Nani. :lol:

Ffs, show some respect lads.

Also, one more thing. Where is this idea he's not a consistent player coming from? We're literally about to stroll to another League title because of his consistency.
I'd presume from his 15/16 season, but that was a bit of bizarre year from a Chelsea POV and plenty of top players have bad years anyway. He's consistently been an excellent player for years now.

Womp

idiot
Five years ago is hardly a massively different era, though. Nani was great at his best for us and sometimes people forget that, but Hazard's now had two individual seasons where he's largely been considered to be the best player in the league. Nani was one of our best players in 10/11 but he never managed to reach that level. He was a key figure in 10/11 but to say he was 'single-handedly' winning us points negates Berbatov and Hernandez's goals, as well as Vidic's performaces in defence that season. Hazard's comfortably better than Nani.
No-one is saying Nani is better than Hazard, simply that Nani's 18 month spell wasn't so far from Hazard that it's "laughable" to even discuss. He led the league in assists and scored vital goals to win games, eg. that Chelsea rocket goal amongst others.

RooneyLegend

I've always been a bit meh towards Hazard. He's clearly a good player but he's a level or two below the very top.

To put it into perspective, I don't feel he's surpassed what Nani achieved in his first 5 years in English football. Nani has obviously fallen off a cliff since but his 10/11 season tops anything that Hazard has produced.
Nani? You cant be serious.
That may be true, but he also plays in (arguably) the best team in the world surrounded by about 4-5 of the greatest players in the world. In a league where they effortlessly destroy the other sides.

Hazard would be unstoppable on Barca's left side where Neymar plays. Remember, Eden is often double marked by most sides we play against and is kicked to shreds (most fouled player in the league once again) and still looks unplayable at times. If he played for Barca where teams have to concentrate on Messi and Suarez, Hazard would have so much space and would put up huge stats just like Neymar does.
He wouldn't be unstoppable, infact he wouldn't fit into the barca attack. He'd frustrate the day lights out of messi and suarez with his poor off the ball movement.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
This is a fair comment and I agree. Belgium problems certainly start with their manager and tactics and you're right to highlight that. I also didn't mean to imply he was their "problem" more than just that he hasn't reached the levels Neymar has. I am curious to see how Belgium does at this next world cup. Martinez might be better suited as a NT manager than a club manager and hiring Henry was intriguing for me. I'd like to see them do well in Russia as I always get excited for underdog national teams with a golden generation. But I do think he needs to shine a bit more internationally or at least CL to be on Neymar level.
Yeah, I know you didn't write that, but others frequently do. So I kinda lumped that together, but I'm sure I got your actual point. I'm curious too about the WC as Martinez' 3-4-3 looked very good in the games I saw. Much better movement and fluidity, especially with Mertens as a false 9. It also solves the problem that Belgium has too many good centre backs and only one elite full back.

(Not directed at you) Referring to individual performances without considering team issues is just lazy. The tactical environment created by both teams is the most important factor for individual performances after the set of abilities a player has and his fitness. Yet very seldom is it included when discussing how a player fared, which makes the whole argument almost useless. Instead hollow phrases like 'was poor', 'is inconsistent', 'did nothing', 'looks like he doesn't care' are deemed satisfactory explanations.
He wouldn't be unstoppable, infact he wouldn't fit into the barca attack. He'd frustrate the day lights out of messi and suarez with his poor off the ball movement.
Now I've heard everything. Hazard's off the ball movement is one of his best traits. He always makes himself available immediately after passing and at a good angle. He's a natural 'passing and movement' player that would blend perfectly into Barca's style. The fact that he never played in a short-passing, possession-based team is one of the reasons why I think his true potential hasn't been unlocked so far.

Agree with the comments above that Neymar gets hacked a lot. The Spanish league certainly isn't soft and despite his antics and his image, he is actually a very brave player.

Last edited:

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)

Now you've lost all credibility in this subject. Hazard has poor off the ball movement? :houllier:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
You're criminally underrating Hazard. The only one above his level on that list are Messi, CR7, Suarez and arguably Neymar. If I had to take Neymar or Hazard on top form, it would be Eden.
Everyone else is either on his level or below him.

I dislike Eden for what happened when he joined Chelsea, but lets not put on red tinted specs mate. He is an amazing player.
I'd take Bale over Hazard, though I can understand the argument for Hazard.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Well I would too if he was a top player from my country ;)
Guilty as charged :D

It's more about the makeup of the two players though, if I had to choose one to play for Wales and Swansea, teams which lack highly technical players, I think Bale will have more of an impact, whereas in an already very good team, I think I'd choose Hazard. I think with regards to individualistic exploits (even though Hazard certainly has many) Bale will always be quite productive.

I don't think we'd get the same performances from Hazard as we do from Bale in a Wales shirt.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Let's get back to talking about his performances and stop trying to compare him to others, shall we? Nobody's gonna budge from their positions anyways.

Treble_Winning

I certainly don't agree that Nani, Alaba or Godin are better than Hazard. But I believe that Mhkitaryan is as good as Hazard if not slightly better.

Hazard isn't going to be considered a Messi or Ronaldo type of player because he is too soft, mentally weak, and inconsistent. He was total crap last season (injured or not) and has gone missing for spells in this current campaign too. He has 10 (??) goals in February and sorry but that's not impressive. Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard all scored more goals and none of them played upfront. I think even Malouda scored more for Chelsea, and for sure Mata did. Not saying they are better than Hazard but he sure is over rated. Mhkitaryan on the other hand deserves to be in the discussion, he is better than many players on these lists. His goals are spectacular.

Treble_Winning

You mean to tell me Nani was ever considered the best player in the league at any point in his United career? Been watching the league since 97/98 and I think I missed that part.
Nani was never considered the best player in the league but he is a hugely under rated player and deserves a much better reputation amongst UTD fans that's for certain.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

As Synco just said above, Hazard's off the ball movement is superb and one of his best attributes. Have you watched him much, mate? :lol:

It's what makes the Costa/Hazard combo so deadly. They both have excellent movement.

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
thats poppycock.
He is nowhere near the level of consistancy of a couple seasons back....and that is game by game or over 90 mins.
Sure, there are brilliant moments but he still goes missing time to time.

Strolling to another title is about a team effort.....not one man

Skills

Snitch
He's a weird player. Like he's got everything, produces results fairly consistently but I still feel like there's something just missing. Maybe him being a manlet gives off that impression.

Robertd0803

Lovely goal. I really didn't want to like it and just dismiss it as ''crap defending etc.'' but it really was a lovely goal.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I certainly don't agree that Nani, Alaba or Godin are better than Hazard. But I believe that Mhkitaryan is as good as Hazard if not slightly better.

Hazard isn't going to be considered a Messi or Ronaldo type of player because he is too soft, mentally weak, and inconsistent. He was total crap last season (injured or not) and has gone missing for spells in this current campaign too. He has 10 (??) goals in February and sorry but that's not impressive. Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard all scored more goals and none of them played upfront. I think even Malouda scored more for Chelsea, and for sure Mata did. Not saying they are better than Hazard but he sure is over rated. Mhkitaryan on the other hand deserves to be in the discussion, he is better than many players on these lists. His goals are spectacular.
Yes, Hazard is bad because he only has scored 10 goals by February, Mkhitaryan is much better! Oh, except Mkhitaryan has scored 3 goals this season. Honestly, where do you get these arguments from?

Hazard has scored 40 fewer career goals than Scholes despite making about half as many appearances. Scholes a better goalscorer? Is this a joke?

Hazard has scored 20 more goals for Chelsea than Malouda did. He's scored just about twice as many for Chelsea as Mata did (65 vs 33).

You're as usual spouting nonsense.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
thats poppycock.
He is nowhere near the level of consistancy of a couple seasons back....and that is game by game or over 90 mins.
Sure, there are brilliant moments but he still goes missing time to time.

Strolling to another title is about a team effort.....not one man
Funny you say that, since he thinks he's an even better player now

And is leading Europe in Man of the Match awards.

AllezLesDiables

He's one of the most misunderstood players in terms of what he does. It hasn't helped matters that he doesn't get a lot of help from his teammates at times.

His play style fits with the Barcelona tiki taka passing triangles, and no one at Chelsea plays that way save for Pedro, who has his own limitations.

I always chuckle when people bring up Neymar not bevaus Neymar isn't a top player but because he has Messi and Suarez drawing defenders to them, which makes things a lot easier.

Hazard is often double, triple. and on a few occasions quadruple teamed.

The other issue has been the poor passing play of the central midfield of Chelsea, which has forced Hazard to come back to the midline to start an Attack almost akin to a DLP. It's not he can't play DLP but it forces him to play multiple roles.

Supermonkey

Supports
Chelsea
He doesnt compare to Miki, who is only behind Messi and Ronaldo. Easily as good as Suarez.

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
Funny you say that, since he thinks he's an even better player now

And is leading Europe in Man of the Match awards.

as I said and you fail to understand...its his inconsistency....suppose you would like to tell me he has been a 8 or 9 out of ten every match, because he hasnt....far from it. Infact he went through a patch a few weeks back of being no better than bang average

He may think he is a better player now and I should hope so as he is still learning.....but yet again, he was more consistent back then and put in more brilliant moments at more regular intervals during matches than he does now. Admittedly, he is now more of a team player and is a lot better at the defensive side of his game which is why I suppose he feels he has improved to become a better player. But its great of him to agree with my thoughts that its the improvement of the team that has improved him especially when it comes to "strolling" to the title as you so arrogantly stated.

Now, I have no idea how many live matches you see of Chelsea, but I can tell he he is brilliant and frustrating during matches.

Will he win player of the year.....I doubt it and he shouldnt even get the award at Chelsea either this season. There are better all round performers there

RooneyLegend

Now you've lost all credibility in this subject. Hazard has poor off the ball movement? :houllier:
Why do you think he rarely gets easy chances? He moves great if he's the one starting the move, but if he isn't he's static. There's a big difference in how he moves off tha ball in moves he's not involved in started to someone like Mkhitaryan for example.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He doesnt compare to Miki, who is only behind Messi and Ronaldo. Easily as good as Suarez.
Eh!? I think you would be in a very small minority who thinks that. Hazard is on a totally different level to Miki imo. Hazard has the potential to become one of the top 5 players in world football imo. He may already be there.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Wait so you're saying Mkhi is better? Interesting coming from a Chelsea fan!
Eh!? I think you would be in a very small minority who thinks that. Hazard is on a totally different level to Miki imo. Hazard has the potential to become one of the top 5 players in world football imo. He may already be there.
Guys, that was a joke. Read post #255.

BlueViper

Supports
Chelsea
Why do you think he rarely gets easy chances? He moves great if he's the one starting the move, but if he isn't he's static. There's a big difference in how he moves off tha ball in moves he's not involved in started to someone like Mkhitaryan for example.
He's good at making runs, the rest of the team (bar Fabregas) is pretty average at finding a good ball. If Hazard was on the receiving end of his own playmaking, you would see him on the end of more chances for sure.

jungledrums

Guys, that was a joke. Read post #255.
Hell of a joke that!
To be fair, he's probably top 25 or something, so it's not so far beyond the realms of possibility that, based on his 15/16 season of brilliance, some may rate him perhaps a little too high.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
He's one of the most misunderstood players in terms of what he does. It hasn't helped matters that he doesn't get a lot of help from his teammates at times.

His play style fits with the Barcelona tiki taka passing triangles, and no one at Chelsea plays that way save for Pedro, who has his own limitations.

I always chuckle when people bring up Neymar not bevaus Neymar isn't a top player but because he has Messi and Suarez drawing defenders to them, which makes things a lot easier.

Hazard is often double, triple. and on a few occasions quadruple teamed.

The other issue has been the poor passing play of the central midfield of Chelsea, which has forced Hazard to come back to the midline to start an Attack almost akin to a DLP. It's not he can't play DLP but it forces him to play multiple roles.
Superb post. Bravo.

Hazard is undoubtedly a Top 5 player in football for me along with Neymar, Suarez & Modric.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Superb post. Bravo.

Hazard is undoubtedly a Top 5 player in football for me along with Neymar, Suarez & Modric.
Ronaldo no longer in the Top 5 (I assume Messi is)? Despite being WPOTY? Not to mention Bale, who is also better than Hazard.

devil in me

I've really enjoyed reading the last 3 pages of this thread! Some absolute gems in there! Nannigolan, nani, Mikitaryn all mentioned , amongst others , as been better than Hazard. I'm not sure what planet some people are on, because bar last seasons freak season, Hazard has been phenomenal for Chelsea and one consistently one of the best players in the league.
The lad is comfortably in that bracket below Messi, IMO. Would have him on a par with the likes of Bale, Modric and probably Neymar and Ronaldo these days.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I've really enjoyed reading the last 3 pages of this thread! Some absolute gems in there! Nannigolan, nani, Mikitaryn all mentioned , amongst others , as been better than Hazard. I'm not sure what planet some people are on, because bar last seasons freak season, Hazard has been phenomenal for Chelsea and one consistently one of the best players in the league.
The lad is comfortably in that bracket below Messi, IMO. Would have him on a par with the likes of Bale, Modric and probably Neymar and Ronaldo these days.
This