Edinson Cavani - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
:lol:

Cavani isn't match fit, so I don't see how we will see him on the pitch anytime soon, unless Ole plays him for 20 minutes initially and then gradually increases his match time with every game.
Also, does Cavani speak English? If not, this would cause a problem.

Should've got a 20 year old RW, who is rated as one of the best in the World.
Instead we are signing a 33 year old has-been (no disrespect to Cavani), who nobody else wanted.

And I'm not sure if fans even know who/what we are signing.
Cavani - is 33, who scored 4 league goals last season.
We got Telles - who is a LB for Porto (he is not joining from one of the top tier leagues). He won't be ousting Luke Shaw as 1st choice unless Shaw's form drops to levels not seen before.
DVDB - our best signing, by a big margin. No complaints on that one.
You keep saying this and its so weird, Telles is a better LB than Shaw, and he'll prove that with absolute ease.

Lee565

If we actually had a good window of signing sancho and a good centre back, then this signing wouldn't be so bad but it's bundled in with a bunch of squad/youth players signings that wont actually improve our first team

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
All day, Sky Sports, who have dedicated the day to Manchester United, have literally led into every question with every guest about Cavani with ‘would you not say this has desperation about it?’. That is basically the answer they are looking for.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
You keep saying this and its so weird, Telles is a better LB than Shaw, and he'll prove that with absolute ease.
Fair enough. But that still doesn't mean Telles is all that great and in time he'll be rubbish as well.

Deery

Dreary
If we actually had a good window of signing sancho and a good centre back, then this signing wouldn't be so bad but it's bundled in with a bunch of squad/youth players signings that wont actually improve our first team
That’s what I was thinking too, but as the day’s gone on I feel we just have to embrace the signing and look at the positives. Maybe that’s Ed’s plan, but just wish him well here and hope for the best.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Why the fuss over number 7? The number has meant nothing for a decade now. Move on.
Historically, only the best players wear this shirt number.
Some players are expected to fill those shoes, but Cavani is way past his best, so perhaps isn't worthy of wearing that shirt.
Sancho would've been worthy. Even Pogba, when he first joined, was worthy.
Bruno is probably the only one who deserves the 7 shirt.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
So post Ronaldo the number 7 shirt has been worn by Owen,Valencia,Di Maria,Depay and Sanchez. The only success amongst those guys was Valencia and he didn't like the attention it brought and 2 seasons later went back to number 25.

Tony247

Trying to keep up with everything happening around... so, he is not coming?

RedDevil@84

I'm warming up to this. I reckon think he could surprise a few people.
If we had signed our targets in the window and were also signing Cavani to replace Ighalo, no one would have complained. But given how the window went, it looks foolish to sign Cavani while the problems in other positions are still there.

SATA

This is a huge signing to be honest. Big player but on the wrong side of 30 but always puts in 100%. Hopefully he gets himself fit real quick when now Martial is out for three games

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Cavani, a once great player is now 33. I cannot believe he figured in your transfer strategy this summer. Smacks more of desperation. Falcao, Schweinsteiger spring to mind.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
This is a huge signing to be honest. Big player but on the wrong side of 30 but always puts in 100%. Hopefully he gets himself fit real quick when now Martial is out for three games
Pretty much how I feel. Let's hope it's an Ibra impact and not a Falcao one.

spiriticon

After having some time to think about this, I'm a little more optimistic.

He only has to play about a third of the games really, I think Martial will still play most of them.

Surely he can give a good account of himself in those 20-25 games and he will have the time he needs to recover between games so there are less injuries.

tjb

Like the poster above said, slot of media outlets are dedicated to saying we are desperate after bashing us for signing one player.

More than that however is their need to bash us for signing a striker after declaring we dont need sancho but kane. A player that would cost us 200m that we dont have. Cavani did not come here to take a starting role. He is here to compete with martial and give us depth across the attacking line where we only have lingard Mata and Ighalo.

We literally could end up getting 15 goals each from both martial and cavani. For years we have been bashed concerning where our goals will come from. In VDB and Cavani alone we have answered that question, yet somehow the board is the problem. Arsenal have issues with their board, not us. Ours spend money

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Cavani, a once great player is now 33. I cannot believe he figured in your transfer strategy this summer. Smacks more of desperation. Falcao, Schweinsteiger spring to mind.
I don't think an Arsenal fan is in any position to criticise any other club's transfer activity.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
It remains to be seen what impact Cavani has but Zlatan was imperious for us.
Hope this will be the same sort of signing.

Vanrouge

But you could also have said Larsson or Zlatan. There's no way to tell which side of that divide he'll fall.

A-man

This is tough news for me who have disliked him since 2013. Feels like sharing bed with Gerrard.

Suv666

Telles with the cross and Cavani heads it in oh my god, United have done the impossible. Manchester United are back in the Premier League.

RashyForPM

Like the poster above said, slot of media outlets are dedicated to saying we are desperate after bashing us for signing one player.

More than that however is their need to bash us for signing a striker after declaring we dont need sancho but kane. A player that would cost us 200m that we dont have. Cavani did not come here to take a starting role. He is here to compete with martial and give us depth across the attacking line where we only have lingard Mata and Ighalo.

We literally could end up getting 15 goals each from both martial and cavani. For years we have been bashed concerning where our goals will come from. In VDB and Cavani alone we have answered that question, yet somehow the board is the problem. Arsenal have issues with their board, not us. Ours spend money
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but these are the frankly uneducated ones which I dislike. The Glazers have done a million and one things wrong since their unfortunate takeover, but let me sum it up. The money spent is all from the revenue generated by Manchester United Football Club, and none from the leeches’ pockets. Instead, they have taken out something like a Billion Pounds. Are you praising them for not taking out more? They’ve also done things like hire Woodward just to earn them more money. Seriously, please stop being an apologist of those horrible parasites. I apologise for being so harsh, but you need to see that the Glazers are the primary problem, or else you’re playing a part in the club’s decline.

The Glazers are the lowest of the low.

AngliaRed

We look to the bench and see Cavani I will genuinely believe we can get a goal.

At the moment we have Ighalo and Lingard so I am somewhat positive.

TheRedDevil2019

We've basically just gone and upgraded on Ighalo quite substantially. Whether Cavani stays fit remains to be seen, but with his wages rumored to be around £5mil a season, and on a 1 year deal (with the option for another) this is some shrewd business.

I Am Zlatan

Not necessarily a fan of this transfer, but perfect timing with Martial’s 3 match ban, and two weeks away from our next premier league match, hopefully enough time for him to get in shape, and maybe come in as a sub at some point.

Ranchero

All day, Sky Sports, who have dedicated the day to Manchester United, have literally led into every question with every guest about Cavani with ‘would you not say this has desperation about it?’. That is basically the answer they are looking for.
Well it is desperation... but firstly, he isn't signed yet. And secondly, if we do get him, he will be the only recognised striker that we have.. .apart from Ighalo who is clearly just a sub. Martial is learning the role. Desperation does not mean that it makes sense. If a player of his calibre is around, we have nothing to lose really when he is on a free.

tjb

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but these are the frankly uneducated ones which I dislike. The Glazers have done a million and one things wrong since their unfortunate takeover, but let me sum it up. The money spent is all from the revenue generated by Manchester United Football Club, and none from the leeches’ pockets. Instead, they have taken out something like a Billion Pounds. Are you praising them for not taking out more? They’ve also done things like hire Woodward just to earn them more money. Seriously, please stop being an apologist of those horrible parasites. I apologise for being so harsh, but you need to see that the Glazers are the primary problem, or else you’re playing a part in the club’s decline.

I'm not praising the Glazers and I know all that. However, the fact remains that they are the owners today and will be there tommorow. Berating the club when they spend money and doing it when they don't only brings a cloud of negativity to the club which the media have drawn on. We finished 3rd last season, above arsenal, spurs and chelsea. Yet we are the only team targeted for spending or not spending. Chelsea bought a 35 year old over the hill centre back in a position they needed where they conceded 50 plus goals. Spurs got Bale who the media told us would be a trash signing. He hasn't played yet probably due to fitness and injuries, yet not one word. We sign VDB, who has played in games but not started in the 3 epl games, yet he is treated as if he doesnt exist as a signing. Even our attempt at dembele is being looked down on, despite James Rodriguez showing that a poor run in la Liga means nothing. It's our same fans the looked down on Bruno, James, Man and every signing the club wants to make that is not under 26, coveted by every club in europe for over 80m that bring that cloud. Let's not act like money hasn't been spent on the club either. Leeches or not, they support the club more than arsenals owners have or even spurs.

Bobade

As heartbreaking as this is to fans like you and me, what else do you expect ?

They bought Manchester United as a business. The fact that they are spending the revenues the club generate, getting big transfers in for that money, and paying big dividends at the same time is a cause for celebration. When you buy a business you're gonna want a return, not to keep pumping your own money in over and over again.

We are not owned as a trainset by a playboy. We are owned as a business. Even when we have the opportunity to be purchased by a sugar daddy or state owner, many people have issues with the ethics (and I'm one of them to be fair).

I don't really know why our club seem to have such issues, but it isn't as black and white as the fact that the Glazers don't spend money and 'leech' off the club. My instinct would suggest the structure of the club is just wrong. The coaching, scouting and planning seems to be a bit of a shambles. Ole has improved some players but we don't look like a team that are well drilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.