Edinson Cavani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
A possible Liverpool transfer? If he's engineering a move to the EPL it's surely the only possible destination for him? He'd be a good signing, no doubt, but he wouldn't represent any sort of value at what he will cost.

Eriksen

It's unknown whether he can do it in the EPL.
I see no reason why not. Sure that's always a risk but he's clearly the better player.

You get that same issue with Sanchez, you don't know if he'll do it in the Prem either. Took the same risk with Cazorla, Ozil etc. Obviously it wouldn't be worth paying the fee and he's overpriced as it gets but if you were to sign him it would be another statement made by the club that they are willing to pay large fees/wages and attract some of the top players in the game. You certainly need a striker better than Giroud if you have plans to challenge for the title.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I disagree. We need to not rely on one player to get the goals and spread them around. It happened last season until several key injuries occurred.

Eriksen

I disagree. We need to not rely on one player to get the goals and spread them around. It happened last season until several key injuries occurred.
I agree you don't need to rely on only one player to grab the goals but every title winning team of the last season had a top striker that scored goals. Giroud simply isn't that, you need someone in the box you can trust every match.

Atletico had Costa, City had Aguero (despite his injuries), Juventus had Tevez. Only Bayern didn't have a truly top-class striker but Mandzukic is still good and was the leagues second top scorer and yet they are still replacing him with Lewandowski. Not to mention Bayern have such a ridiculously good squad with so much depth they are pretty much exempt from the rule.

Sanchez is an excellent signing but you still lack a real goalscorer in the side. I don't think Cavani is that man but someone with a bit of pace would be excellent with Ozil's passing ability. Problem with Sanchez is whilst a brilliant player he often misses simple chances and can be a bit wasteful, he isn't the man to rely on to score enough goals up top. He compliments the attack. Like I said, if you were to sign Cavani I don't think it'd be the perfect signing by any means but play him as the main man with good service and he will score a ton of goals. His record at Napoli was excellent and he was complimented by Lavezzi and Hamsik, which would be quite similar to Sanchez and Ozil in that Lavezzi offered pace and threat on the counter and Hamsik offered that creativity.

Remy is close to signing isn't he? Not a big name but think he'd do well. Quick, good finisher and strong in the air as well. Proven in the league with two much lesser sides as well. Probably more of a backup than the starting man though.

Eriksen

We're not going to spend big on another forward in this window, Remy will do.
Remy will link up well with Ozil I think. He'll have a field day with the pace of him and Sanchez (and Walcott when he returns).

Thank god our high line should be gone by next season as it would be torture to watch that employed against you.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I agree you don't need to rely on only one player to grab the goals but every title winning team of the last season had a top striker that scored goals. Giroud simply isn't that, you need someone in the box you can trust every match.

Atletico had Costa, City had Aguero (despite his injuries), Juventus had Tevez. Only Bayern didn't have a truly top-class striker
See?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Mandzukic is still better than Giroud. Also, like I said..Bayern are a different prospect altogether with the likes of Robben, Muller, Ribery, Gotze filling the attacking positions.
So goals coming from lots of different players? You keep agreeing with me.

Eriksen

So goals coming from lots of different players? You keep agreeing with me.
You can't compare Bayern to Arsenal is what I'm saying, not to mention Bayern are bringing in a top class striker now so there won't be a top team around that don't have one proper goalscorer.

You might have Ozil and Sanchez, but the quality they have absolutely blows it out of the water so its not comparable.

JSArsenal

We need Cavani. The goals from all over concept is good but a strikers main priority is scoring goals and when you have a striker who you have in the team for his link up play and ability on defensive set pieces more than his goal scoring prowess then you have a problem.

I know Giroud scores goals but he doesn't score enough, he doesn't do it against the top teams and he barely creates any chances for himself.

If there is any chance we can get Cavani, then go get him. A great striker will take us up a level. Its not about relying on one player, its about having several players who could score 25+ goals in a season and with Cavani, Ramsey and Walcott in the team we will have that.

If we're serious about competing in Europe and for the league then a strike force of Cavani, Giroud and Campbell is neccessary.

Can't bear another season with Giroud as first choice, then what if he gets injured? Sanogo? Or more square pegs in round holes in the form of Sanchez/Walcott up top which creates a problem of who will play on the wing if that happens.

Eriksen

We need Cavani. The goals from all over concept is good but a strikers main priority is scoring goals and when you have a striker who you have in the team for his link up play and ability on defensive set pieces more than his goal scoring prowess then you have a problem.

I know Giroud scores goals but he doesn't score enough, he doesn't do it against the top teams and he barely creates any chances for himself.

If there is any chance we can get Cavani, then go get him. A great striker will take us up a level. Its not about relying on one player, its about having several players who could score 25+ goals in a season and with Cavani, Ramsey and Walcott in the team we will have that.

If we're serious about competing in Europe and for the league then a strike force of Cavani, Giroud and Campbell is neccessary.

Can't bear another season with Giroud as first choice, then what if he gets injured? Sanogo? Or more square pegs in round holes in the form of Sanchez/Walcott up top which creates a problem of who will play on the wing if that happens.
I agree with you but to be fair if you get Remy then that's cover for Giroud injuries sorted, not to mention Campbell for more depth who is clearly a decent player.

Hamadovich86

Sigh

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/manchester-united-cavani-meetings

Manchester United have held 4 sets of talks to sign £48m man

The reports about Manchester United and Edinson Cavani just won't go away regardless of how many times they take a beating from common sense. It all started in France, with Le10 magazine being one of the outlets pushing the story. Then the British press started to pick it up and report it seriously with several well connected journalists insisting that the rumours weren't based on fantasy.

Le10 are continuing it this week. They explain how PSG need to sell a big player in order to be able to sign Angel Di Maria this summer. The French club's boasts of still being able to sign anyone they want have taking something of a kicking as the harsh reality of the financial restrictions hits home.

The main candidate for a big money move is Edinson Cavani and the most likely destination according to the French is Manchester United. Le10 say there is still interest from the Premier League club and that efforts have been made to set up a deal since the last winter market.

It's claimed that four meetings have been held to discuss the potential transfer. Those talks have been with Cavani's entourage.

The Uruguayan striker cost PSG over €60m/£48m last summer but there have been consistent reports that he's not happy. Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the main mad at PSG and Cavani has been pushed wide too often for his liking. Despite being promised he'll have a more central role, the player is said to be restless and a prime candidate for transfer.

The idea of a swap with Wayne Rooney has been floated several times and will no doubt be again, but the England striker seems to be getting on well with new manager Louis van Gaal.

Manchester United don't need a new superstar striker considering their issues elsewhere. It would be like buying a new front door when there's a hole in the roof. But what a nice front door.

foolsgold

Makes no sense at all unless we sell or swap Rooney.

Failing that he'd be pushed wide here too. Actually thinking about it some more, I'd swap him for a faltering Rooney in a hertbeat.

Bojan11

Not happening.

Van Gaal already moaning about the amount of strikers we got and saying our team is unbalanced. £48m would be a big waste of money on this guy.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
They explain how PSG need to sell a big player in order to be able to sign Angel Di Maria this summer...

...The idea of a swap with Wayne Rooney has been floated several times and will no doubt be again.
Can anybody spot the flaw in their argument?
Ummm, nothing associated with Wayne Rooney is capable of 'floating'?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Would we be delighted with Cavani and Vermaelen or de Vrij as the last two signings in this window?

Juan't Mata

I think if Moyes were still here we'd have made a move. But I really hope our interest has ended since we got a manager with an actual clue.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
There's no way we're signing Cavani when our manager said we've got 4 strikers, 4 number 10s and our squad is unbalanced. Anything that isn't a defender or a central midfielder should be classified as nonsense.

Where will Cavani play? Ahead of Rooney? Ahead of Mata? Ahead of van Persie? Ahead of Januzaj? I'd rather see players like Will Keane and Wilson get the time up front rather than getting Cavani.

When he was at Napoli he was sharper, much quicker on the ball and could make things happen. After his injury with PSG he looks like a shadow of his former self.

Brophs

The One and Only
I wouldn't be amazed to see this happen. It'd be a marquee signing for the club, albeit not one we really 'need'. That said, I don't think there are many squads in the world that wouldn't be improved by signing Cavani.

Godfather

I wouldn't be amazed to see this happen. It'd be a marquee signing for the club, albeit not one we really 'need'. That said, I don't think there are many squads in the world that wouldn't be improved by signing Cavani.
But why would we make our marquee signing in the position we need to strenghten the least? If we sign the Chilean lad that would be enough of a marquee signing and everybody would run around with new kits and his name on the back.

Havak

Pokemon master
Hernandez may well be on his way, but I can't see Cavani coming here to compete for a space in the team with Rooney and van Persie. I also can't see us spending so much money on a player we don't desperately need. I would much rather we overplayed with that kind of fee on Vidal or Hummels, areas that need fixing now.

Brophs

The One and Only
But why would we make our marquee signing in the position we need to strenghten the least? If we sign the Chilean lad that would be enough of a marquee signing and everybody would run around with new kits and his name on the back.
I agree with all of that. But my view has been for quite a while that we'll go all out for a big name this summer. If we can't get a midfielder I think we'll take someone like Cavani, even if he isn't especially necessary. A flawed way to go about things if it happens, IMO, but having talked himself into a corner two summers in a row I think Woodward will feel he has to do something.

Godfather

I agree with all of that. But my view has been for quite a while that we'll go all out for a big name this summer. If we can't get a midfielder I think we'll take someone like Cavani, even if he isn't especially necessary. A flawed way to go about things if it happens, IMO, but having talked himself into a corner two summers in a row I think Woodward will feel he has to do something.
That could well be the case.
Not that I would totally be against the idea of Cavani joining us. He is a great player and I'm not the one having to slot him in.

But I'd really rather we spend some big cash on a CB or CM.

Brophs

The One and Only
That could well be the case.
Not that I would totally be against the idea of Cavani joining us. He is a great player and I'm not the one having to slot him in.

But I'd really rather we spend some big cash on a CB or CM.
Of course. To me logic dictates that if you buy Cavani for £50m, say, or you buy Vidal, for example, for the same price, you get more impact out of Vidal as he's what we're lacking. So if we can take Vidal for £10m odd less to me it's a no brainer.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's good, no doubt, but do we really need him? We have RVP, Rooney and Welbeck fighting for one spot with the latter 2 probably playing on the wing to accomodate. I dont believe these stories

Redguern

Would we be delighted with Cavani and Vermaelen or de Vrij as the last two signings in this window?
No - VermaelON yes but we also need midfield quality, not more strikers.

Flawed I agree and also an approach guaranteed to royally p-off LVG - Woody must know exactly the kind of melt down that would cause so if his options are hacking off his new, world class manager big-time or pandering to a bunch of muppets on the Caf I think we know what he will chose...

Status
Not open for further replies.