Edinson Cavani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
If we bought a player for the sake of it, like Cavani, I can't see LVG being happy. For that reason alone, unless LVG wants this lad (we're already overstocked in attack) we won't be going for him.

Especially when you consider PSG want to offload him, supposedly, for Di Maria. A player who we could actually use quite a lot, so why would we help them to perhaps beat us?

It's a nonsense imo.

ZDwyr

It makes no sense whatsoever. If this transfer gets done while we clearly lack in other areas then I'll be annoyed.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I would be absolutely fuming if we spent 40 odd million on this guy instead of Vidal, it would be completely mental and bizarre.

JaapStam1986

I don't think we're in for Cavani. We don't need him and LvG won't waste money on positions that don't need stocked. We don't need anymore strikers. Priority is defence & midfield.

ravi2

I would be absolutely fuming if we spent 40 odd million on this guy instead of Vidal, it would be completely mental and bizarre.
That would be a straight up SAF move.
(overlooking the Cm... not spending 40M on a player).

Mani

Priority is clearly on defense and i don't see us spending on Cavani,LVG referred the same in his post match interview.

Walters_19_MuFc

Was waiting for this to come up. Sigh! I hope Van Gaal's not looking to buy anymore strikers now that we're looking to play 2 up top, because, in my opinion, we have to great strikers (Rooney and Van Persie) with two great back ups (Welbeck and Hernandez).

I can only think this is being used as a smokescreen for Vidal, although it's no secret that we're strongly linked with him.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Have a feeling Arsenal is in his ear trying to get him to kick up a fuss so PSG sell him at a lowered price. :lol:

They're the only top team that I can think of that are crying out for a world class striker.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Have a feeling Arsenal is in his ear trying to get him to kick up a fuss so PSG sell him at a lowered price. :lol:

They're the only top team that I can think of that are crying out for a world class striker.
Yeah, err no chance. No way in hell would Wenger spend the sort of fee required to get PSG to sell and nor should he, awfully overrated player.

Oh and he's not world class.

RetroStu

It would be just like us to buy the one 'Marquee signing' that we don't need and most of the fans don't want lol.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, err no chance. No way in hell would Wenger spend the sort of fee required to get PSG to sell and nor should he, awfully overrated player.

I don't know, mate. Wenger seems to have no issue with spending huge money now that he's able to. He'd be just the player that their team needs and their fans have been crying out for.

And I disagree with you about him not being world class. He still bagged a very decent amount of goals playing from a wide area and playing second fiddle to Ibra. His Napoli days were proof that when he's played in his preferred position as the CF he's absolutely world class. With the pace and creativity of Özil, Walcott, Sanchez, and Czorla behind him on any given day I think he'd score 25 league goals.

Zoo

Liverpool too.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool too.
Think that'd be too big a step down for him to be honest.

Would they pay his wages? He's probably easily making more at PSG than Suarez was at Liverpool.

Devil_forever

I don't know, mate. Wenger seems to have no issue with spending huge money now that he's able to. He'd be just the player that their team needs and their fans have been crying out for.

And I disagree with you about him not being world class. He still bagged a very decent amount of goals playing from a wide area and playing second fiddle to Ibra. His Napoli days were proof that when he's played in his preferred position as the CF he's absolutely world class. With the pace and creativity of Özil, Walcott, Sanchez, and Czorla behind him on any given day I think he'd score 25 league goals.
He's only had a couple of standout seasons, just because he's bagged a decent amount of goals playing from wide areas, doesn't make him world class. He's a good player, world class? No chance.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

I'm sorry but he is a World Class striker, ignore his season at PSG. It's like judging whether RvP is world class based on last season.

Devil_forever

I'm sorry but he is a World Class striker, ignore his season at PSG. It's like judging whether RvP is world class based on last season.
We'll agree to disagree then. I thought he was a prolific goal scorer at Napoli but to me he just isn't a world class striker, being prolific doesn't make you world class either.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
We'll agree to disagree then. I thought he was a prolific goal scorer at Napoli but to me he just isn't a world class striker, being prolific doesn't make you world class either.
Indeed, Huntelaar scored a shitload for Schalke (40 or 50 in one season was it?) before getting injured. Would one say he is world class? Nah.

Irish-Red-7

This is a weird one to be honest.. We obviously don't need a striker but yet Cavani is consistently linked but yet no other centre forward. Could be similar to RvP, we are actively pursuing a striker but if one of the highest quality becomes available then we will act. Transfers aren't always completed in order of importance.

I wouldn't say no on that basis.. Because make no mistake about it the man is world class. You want as many top drawer players in the squad as possible.

If it's happens embrace it..

Zoo

Think that'd be too big a step down for him to be honest.

Would they pay his wages? He's probably easily making more at PSG than Suarez was at Liverpool.
Maybe but going on the reports he's desperate to leave PSG, wants to go to the Premier League and Liverpool are in the CL. I don't know about his wages but he's an attainable world class striker who'd give a lift to the fans and the club. Because even though they've made some decent signings they've lost a very special player in Suarez.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be honest I've watched loads of him over the years and more often then not, he's been a bit shit. He's not that great on the ball, he's big and strong and a hard worker, good in the air and usually a pretty good finisher, but he's a bit useless outside the box and generally looks clumsy. He's not better then van Persie, nowhere close, and same with Rooney. It'd just be a huge waste of money. I'd rather play welbeck up front because of his potential and general play outside the box.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
To be honest I've watched loads of him over the years and more often then not, he's been a bit shit. He's not that great on the ball, he's big and strong and a hard worker, good in the air and usually a pretty good finisher, but he's a bit useless outside the box and generally looks clumsy. He's not better then van Persie, nowhere close, and same with Rooney. It'd just be a huge waste of money. I'd rather play welbeck up front because of his potential and general play outside the box.
Falcao it is then!

RetroStu

Thats pretty much exactly how i would describe him if someone asked me. He's like a 'good Andy Carrol'.

I'd take him but not at the expense of a Di Maria or Vidal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thats pretty much exactly how i would describe him if someone asked me. He's like a 'good Andy Carrol'.

I'd take him but not at the expense of a Di Maria or Vidal.
Personally I wouldn't take him at all. We have4 good strikers, 2 world class who are better then him, and one potentially very good while Hernandez is a great poacher. Bringing him in would just be incredibly pointless and van Gaal probably wouldn't use him because he would never go for him IMO, like with the situation at Bayern with tymoschuck.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If he was anything like Andy Carroll he wouldn't have been played out wide by club and country in the CL and the WC of all places in fairness.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
This would be the equivalent of Arsenal buying a top class #10 when they already have Özil or Chelsea buying a top class left winger when they already have Hazard.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Dr Baltar

like a more expensive Tevez

I'm not saying hes not a good player, but just not what our priority should be
Didn't LVG have a meeting with Sir Alex today? I'm pretty sure Sir Alex would have told him to stop buying midfielders & defenders & just bring in strikers when we don't need them. Worked out alright for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.