Eduardo Camavinga / signs for Real Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I dont buy it. But would not mind at all. Could see him being a Frenkie De Jong type with his dribbling and carrying from deep. Still a long way to develop and definitely wouldn't be a starter at the start ahead of Fred, but he's young and has loads of potential. Doesn't change the need for a defensive midfielder next to him, but could 100% be a good part in a double pivot.

Tarrou

the sort of player you just get if you can

couldn't give a feck if he's similar to Fred or McT or whoever, he'll be miles better in a year or two if he isn't already

Withnail

the sort of player you just get if you can

couldn't give a feck if he's similar to Fred or McT or whoever, he'll be miles better in a year or two if he isn't already
The thing is that for me if we're only getting one midfielder this window it really needs to be a proper DM. He looks like he's quality but it only makes sense if we're also getting a DM.

Eplel

I wouldn't get him as a DM, but as a Pogba replacement.

For DM, we need a real one.

bsCallout

The thing is that for me if we're only getting one midfielder this window it really needs to be a proper DM. He looks like he's quality but it only makes sense if we're also getting a DM.
Probably suits the pivot more currently, at his age. I'd be surprised if he isn't a CDM in a three in the future. I think he'd work great next to Fred/McT or Pogba depending on who we are against.

Give it another year and we can have Garner at the base of a three.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Football manager legend. How much do Rennes want for him and do we have enough in the budget left?
they say €80 million but entering the last year of his contract so it’s cat and mouse. They’d probably take £50 million (€60 million)

We spend £150 million a year these days
£75 for sancho plus future ad ons
£50 for Varane
£50 for Camavinga
- £25 for lingard to West Ham.
£150 million

Tarrou

but who is this quality DM? Rice for £70m? Even signing him won't have city worrying much. I don't see any good DM options around that are available or likely to want to join.

And Pogba is most likely off.

Withnail

Probably suits the pivot more currently, at his age. I'd be surprised if he isn't a CDM in a three in the future. I think he'd work great next to Fred/McT or Pogba depending on who we are against.

Give it another year and we can have Garner at the base of a three.
Garner should be the future but will he even be ready in a year?

I just think even if we get Varane our defense will continue to be exposed without a DM.

Tarrou

Most likely? Based on what? Who's even in for Pogba realistically?
Based on the fact he hasn't signed a new deal and both him and his agent have suggested he wants to leave in the past.

Clubs will be queuing up to sign him on a free next summer.

But it doesn't matter, if you have the chance to sign an elite talent like Camavinga you go for it.

Withnail

Based on the fact he hasn't signed a new deal and both him and his agent have suggested he wants to leave in the past.

Clubs will be queuing up to sign him on a free next summer.

But it doesn't matter, if you have the chance to sign an elite talent like Camavinga you go for it.
Oh I thought you meant this Summer. I hear you but without a DM I think we're writing off another season unless young Jimmy really steps up.

bsCallout

Garner should be the future but will he even be ready in a year?

I just think even if we get Varane our defense will continue to be exposed without a DM.
Our team doesn't have a tackler anywhere near as good as Camavinga. With the experience of Varane and Maguire I think we'd be fine. We could do with someone who can carry the ball as well as Camavinga too.

Not sure when Garner will be ready, I think he already looks a real player but you can never tell if they'll make that step up until you put them in. He's better with the ball that Fred and McT.

Devil may care

He's a cracking talent and would be a good investment long term imo, personally I don't see us challenging for the title next season no matter who we buy so getting in a talent with a high ceiling is fine with me.

Tallis

Can you give examples of any teams in recent past who have regularly played without deepest midfielder whether in form of CDM or deep lying playmaker at Club level and have been successful you won't find any , so what gives you the confidence that we can actually do that and be successful with such underwhelming set of options without any real balance.
I am not sure I was suggesting exactly what you’re saying. I think McT can be a holding MF in front of the defense and hit long balls or play it wide to the flanks or pass it to his MF partner. I don’t think he is materially worse than Rice for instance.

I also don’t think those players are underwhelming. Stats prove that Fred is on par with other DMs that get linked with us.

Part of the issue has been that we tend to have a big gap between our Mf and forward line because our defense can’t play a high line due to lack of pace, and our build up mostly happens on the left side allowing defenses to overload that side. With Sancho and possibly Varane, we solve those issues.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I never watch him but it will be a very good investment since Fred and Pogba are getting closer to their 30ish. Him and Garner could be the long term future.

dinostar77

How similar is he to Jude Bellingham? I wonder if he's now our alternative to Jude. Having not seen much of either player, that why i pose the question.

Withnail

Our team doesn't have a tackler anywhere near as good as Camavinga. With the experience of Varane and Maguire I think we'd be fine. We could do with someone who can carry the ball as well as Camavinga too.

Not sure when Garner will be ready, I think he already looks a real player but you can never tell if they'll make that step up until you put them in. He's better with the ball that Fred and McT.
You know more about him than I do and if he's also that good at tackling then maybe.

It's his age as well that concerns me. It seems like a relatively expensive investment for the future rather than plugging a hole we need filled immediately.

bsCallout

You know more about him than I do and if he's also that good at tackling then maybe.

It's his age as well that concerns me. It seems like a relatively expensive investment for the future rather than plugging a hole we need filled immediately.
I'd prefer someone with more experience. In an ideal world we'd sign him and loan him back to Rennes whilst getting an experienced CDM this season.

I think the problem is there aren't many top CDMs available and if we don't buy him someone will else this summer or next. Then we'll be moaning in a couple of years that we didn't get the young player before he became established elsewhere.

MrBest

Obviously he won't lead us to glory but he adds something we dont have in the middle, a proper tackler who can then play the simple pass out. For me his current level is greater than McFred but does not have the same level of experience. I believe if they are good enough, play them, they will learn on the job. I also think the same for Garner, he looks ready for more minutes. He is 20s now, had a great season last year, he can add value.

marktan

I like him, he's technically very very good already at a young age.

But I'd rather someone like Bissouma, we need a proper DM. Camavinga is more of a box which we already have a few of. Maybe in the future once we have the first XI sorted.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I feel like he and Fred together would be a combo that opposition teams would hate playing against. Constant pressing, harrying and tackling all over the field, never given a moments rest. It's not really the perfect combination, but (if he does well) it could work better than Fred-McTominay in the short-run. And then in the long-run he could hopefully be an improvement over Fred in that role playing next to a more positionally-aware playmaker.

bosskeano

How similar is he to Jude Bellingham? I wonder if he's now our alternative to Jude. Having not seen much of either player, that why i pose the question.
he's very similar in terms of style. Bellingham is probably a bit more physically developed but Camavinga is technically better

United in sin

Bellingham is b2b while Camavinga is more adept to the defensive side of things. They are both great passers who possess a similar level of technicality. Bellingham is the bigger goal threat

Tallis

I like him, he's technically very very good already at a young age.

But I'd rather someone like Bissouma, we need a proper DM. Camavinga is more of a box which we already have a few of. Maybe in the future once we have the first XI sorted.
I wonder how difficult is it for a box to box player who can tackle to play as a DM? Less running / some disclipline not to lunge into tackles all the time. Any other qualities ? Camavinga can progress the ball better than any DM we are going to have.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If Ben White is going for 50m, I dread to think how much Bissouma would cost.
About the same I’d imagine? They seem to have a gentleman’s agreement with Bissouma that he can leave this season. I personally don’t think he’s worth any more than £40/45 million and it would be solid business for Brighton that would allow them to reinvest. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Liverpool go in for Bissouma at that price range as a Gini replacement. Might be tidy business from the same profile of transfers as Jota - young talented PL proven and under 50 million. Efficient transfer work but is going to take them back to the top? it wouldn’t have me running scared of them. It’s their attack that’s going to need major surgery soon and they either need to splash or find more gems. I have a funny feeling they aren’t going to be able to replace Mane and Salah and they are in a Spurs type situation where they should sell one and reinvest but they won’t and they’ll end up going backwards again for a few years.

Or else they all find their inhalers again and destroy everyone…

MUFC OK

Could be a fantastic addition imo, an exciting one too. He looks fantastic for an 18 year old. Would love it if we wrapped this one up quickly, and alongside Sancho and Varane you have to say it would be a fantastic summer. Fingers crossed.

RUCK4444

Yeah I agree on the DM issue and posted similar but if he’s available and fancies the move it’s one of them we should make happen regardless because he’s not quite the finished article yet but when he is he will be wanted everywhere, he’s one of the most talented in Europe imo.

Definitely fits the new approach we have of signing young super talented players, which I’m a fan of.
BUT we need a actual DM so badly, I agree.

RUCK4444

Could be a fantastic addition imo, an exciting one too. He looks fantastic for an 18 year old. Would love it if we wrapped this one up quickly, and alongside Sancho and Varane you have to say it would be a fantastic summer. Fingers crossed.
Sancho, Varane, Camavinga would be the best window in living memory, I would be so stoked for next season it’s untrue. :lol::devil:

United in sin

Hes not what we need, we need a DM and he's not that.
There's always space for a wonderkid at United. I think he has a higher ceiling than both Fred and McTominay. His role doesn't matter much to me but he's more adept to the defensive side of the game, a great tackler with good positioning and awareness. He can be couched into any role in the middle IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.