Eight Brazilian players might be ineligible to play this weekend

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I was wondering if players could start 'retiring' during these shit qualifiers against no marks and then magically un-retire nearer the main tournaments. Maybe club lawyers need to start earning their keep.

Ferguson was on to something with Giggs (fake injuries rather than retirements).
The biggest thing would be I bet the national teams with depth just stop calling them up (for the non key players). Probably that threat is enough for the players not to do it, but seems an easy solution otherwise.

Nickelodeon

I don't mind the PL game but the CL game for Fred seems unnecessary since the same doesn't apply to players who play a Wednesday. How the feck is that fair?

From a PL lens, Liverpool are getting shafted the most which is always nice to see. They invariably have a GK clanger as soon as Alisson is out of the line up.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I was wondering if players could start 'retiring' during these shit qualifiers against no marks and then magically un-retire nearer the main tournaments. Maybe club lawyers need to start earning their keep.

Ferguson was on to something with Giggs (fake injuries rather than retirements).
FIFA statutes don’t allow players to retire just from international football. If they were to do this they’d just get suspended from club play. It isn’t the players choice. If they are called they must attend or be suspended for club play. Typically players are just allowed to retire from internationals by mutual agreement. But if an FA is petty enough then technically they aren’t allowed and they’ll request they be suspended like Brazil now.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Mid-season internationals are the worst. An act of revenge because the Premier League wanted to protect its players during a pandemic seems stupid as hell.

Do FIFA have to ratify it, or once it's triggered, that's it, it's official?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
FIFA statutes don’t allow players to retire just from international football. If they were to do this they’d just get suspended from club play. It isn’t the players choice. If they are called they must attend or be suspended for club play. Typically players are just allowed to retire from internationals by mutual agreement. But if an FA is petty enough then technically they aren’t allowed and they’ll request they be suspended like Brazil now.
That sounds like a human rights violation...

RUCK4444

The summer tournaments are still good, but the rest of it just feels an utter procession.

Seeing England batter some miniscule country 4 or 5-0 nil every game round is utterly pointless, and just means someone like Kane will end up on 100 international goals, as opposed to the 50 or so Lineker and the like got.

Stopping our league for 2 weeks, and then them at other times cramming in 4 or 5 games over 2 weeks is nothing short of ludicrous too.
Yeah totally agree, especially on the England games, was just saying to the guys in work yesterday how we constantly just seem to see England battering the same useless nations.

Heaven forbid this ‘World Cup every 2 years plan’ happens, ludicrous proposal.
Many of us are utterly bored sh*tless of international football.

laughtersassassin

Despite our lack of options Fred deserves to be dropped off atleast a game or two so might be good for us and him.

Needs to do better.

If McTominay is back and ready then it's happy days.

laughtersassassin

2 poor games where he was left to hang out to dry a little bit. People were praising him after Leeds.
Leeds game he was crap the first 45 and good the second 45.

McTominay had a way better performance.

Fred has literally had 1 good half this season. Being dropped and or Forced to sit on the sidelines might do us and him some good.b

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Despite our lack of options Fred deserves to be dropped off atleast a game or two so might be good for us and him.

Needs to do better.

If McTominay is back and ready then it's happy days.
Not sure he is... think it was likely to be late september?

so Matic?... and two games in 5 days plus travel... so perhaps matic in one game and lindeloff or VDB in the other?

makes the decision to not prioritize midfielder in the transfer window look even stranger

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If it does continue, it's probably a net gain for us if anything. While our midfield situation is a bit shit with Fred missing, Chelsea's defence is quite ropey too after they sold Zouma and didn't get his replacement in - so Silva is at least as big of a miss for them. Then you have Liverpool and City each missing their keepers and other nailed on starters as well.
We have replaced Zouma, Chalobah has took his squad spot.

laughtersassassin

Not sure he is...

so Matic?... and two games in 5 days plus travel... so perhaps matic in one game and lindeloff or VDB in the other?

makes the decision to not prioritize midfielder in the transfer window look even stranger
He is in training anyway so hopefully he is

PoTMS

The summer tournaments are still good, but the rest of it just feels an utter procession.

Seeing England batter some miniscule country 4 or 5-0 nil every game round is utterly pointless, and just means someone like Kane will end up on 100 international goals, as opposed to the 50 or so Lineker and the like got.

Stopping our league for 2 weeks, and then them at other times cramming in 4 or 5 games over 2 weeks is nothing short of ludicrous too.
Didn't realise how less arduous qualifying used to be only just 30 years ago. The dissolution of the USSR and Yugoslavia obviously had a clear part to play in it but we really need to start adding pre-qualifiers like the Champions League.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Didn't realise how less arduous qualifying used to be only just 30 years ago. The dissolution of the USSR and Yugoslavia obviously had a clear part to play in it but we really need to start adding pre-qualifiers like the Champions League.
I'm sure everyone of my vintage can remember the glory of a 0-0 v Italy, helping us qualify for the 98 world cup.

Now, there's not a prospect a top team miss out unless they have absolutely horrific meltdowns.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I hope Van der Beek can step up and partner Matic if Fred is out.

flappyjay

Oh right. It’s punishment for not travelling. So fecking crazy to use this rule during a pandemic. The Brazilian FA is a mess.
I thinks it's more on Fifa. As the top organization they should understand the current circumstances.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I'm sure everyone of my vintage can remember the glory of a 0-0 v Italy, helping us qualify for the 98 world cup.

Now, there's not a prospect a top team miss out unless they have absolutely horrific meltdowns.
That was a great night

romufc

You are not supposed to do the midfield job on your own.
Well you'd think that Ole knows that, having played under successful teams. Carrick was a good midfielder, he should know this too.

Clearly they feel that Pogba can do a midfield job, else he would not be played there. Also, I know its going to be unpopular to say this but I think Bruno needs to help out the team alot more, there is no point in him pressing the ball with the CB if all the opponent needs to do is pass to their CDm and they have broken the press.

I do think Ole needs to get Bruno to help out in a defensive shape, not just press when no one else in the team would.

flappyjay

Well you'd think that Ole knows that, having played under successful teams. Carrick was a good midfielder, he should know this too.

Clearly they feel that Pogba can do a midfield job, else he would not be played there. Also, I know its going to be unpopular to say this but I think Bruno needs to help out the team alot more, there is no point in him pressing the ball with the CB if all the opponent needs to do is pass to their CDm and they have broken the press.

I do think Ole needs to get Bruno to help out in a defensive shape, not just press when no one else in the team would.
It's unpopular because people love to see Bruno score goals and that's seen as a great performance. Because he plays so high up the pitch we become lighter in midfield and also lose a creator. Bruno and Pogba really need to step up as midfielders.

Tomics

Also to those saying thank god Fred is out. Watch Shelvey and Longstaff dominate a midfield of Pogba and Matic again and create chance after chance.
This! I don't think people appreciate what he brings to the team. He was bad against wolves but with Scott out, we don't have any other alternatives at the moment. Hopefully Matic will have a good game if he plays

KW2006

The Brazil FA is a joke.

Having said that, it seems Liverpool(Firmino, Fabinho, Alisson) and Man City(Ederson, Jesus) will be (arguably) more affected than us.

romufc

It's unpopular because people love to see Bruno score goals and that's seen as a great performance. Because he plays so high up the pitch we become lighter in midfield and also lose a creator. Bruno and Pogba really need to step up as midfielders.
I love Bruno, I am a very big Bruno fan but moreso I want Manutd to be successful. Its all well and good getting goals but we need them to step up and take accountability in defensive actions.

Watching us, it seems we are easy to play against, look at City, Liverpool, Chelsea, they suffocate teams, hardly do they get the ball move it around and get to their defensive thirds. The won is won back before teams even reach the half way line.

Thats how you can maintain pressure on teams, the ball keeps coming back, mistakes start happening. I watch those teams play and wonder, how will the opposition score against these guys? When I watch us, its how have we got away with that.

SAFMUTD

Brazilian FA logic, calls out a game because Argentinian PL's players did quarantine for 14 days, then tries to punish Brazilian PL's players for not going.

All I can get from this is that if the Brazilian PL players went they wouldn't have called off the game. So they applied their quarantine rules and laws as it fits them in the moment, third world at its finest.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Am I missing something or would they have had to quarantine for 14 days in Brazil anyway as they’d be travelling from the U.K. ala the Argentina players…
Brazilians are exempt from quarantining when entering Brazil.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Oh right. It’s punishment for not travelling. So fecking crazy to use this rule during a pandemic. The Brazilian FA is a mess.
The Brazilian FA is raising the stakes.

Argies traveled (but couldn't play :lol:), their players didn't. Explain that to the Brazilian fans.

They won't have the clubs refusing every international break and rather than have clubs calling their bluff in October they are making a point now.

What's silly is this would all be a great excuse to try local players and blame any defeat on Covid. It' not like they have Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Romario around any more.

Daonico

Why people can't understand that, by FIFA rules, players must go to the NT if called? When a player retires from international football, is just an agreement to not be called any more, there is nothing formal in it. Of course NTs know there is no use in calling a player who doesn't want to play anymore.
PL clubs tried to bully the South American NTs by not releasing the players because of something the UK goverment did (not the fault of south america). Brazil apparently decided to throw the rule book on them. Maybe a bit childish, but entirely their right.

Brazilian players wouldn't have needed to isolate when entering Brazil, that rule is for foreigners

I don't think this will be a problem with Cavani, he wasn't called up by mutual consent (Cavani and the NT agreed is what better not to comer)

This is all FIFA fault for not acting before hand to stop this situations for happening... PL clubs, players and NTs are just try to defend their interest as they can

antohan

Am I missing something or would they have had to quarantine for 14 days in Brazil anyway as they’d be travelling from the U.K. ala the Argentina players…
Correct, they've sort of shot themselves in the foot making it so public that it overrides football exemptions. Nobody in Brazil will care if it gets waived in October, but the rest of the world will be like WTF?

Devil may care

The state of Brazil with their president this comes as no surprise that their FA are idiots as well.

antohan

I get why they want to prevent clubs/players from dropping out of international games with "injuries" that are mysteriously cured in time for the next league game but this isn't that.

The likes of Silva and Cavani were pissed off they couldn't travel, now there's a chance they get punished?
Uruguay didn't call up Cavani. That was agreed by player and manager the day before Ole unnecessarily mouthed off about Norway and employers.

We would only resort to this in the piss-take scenario you describe (burning bridges with the player), or to strong arm a club (in agreement with the player).

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
They won't have the clubs refusing every international break and rather than have clubs calling their bluff in October they are making a point now.
Unless I'm missing something, the Brazilians would've needed to quarantaine for 14 days when returning to England. Now, they didn't travel and are only banned for 5 days.

The clubs have no incentive to let them leave in October as far as I'm concerned, other than keeping their players happy if they wanna go themselves.

antohan

Yeah this, why in the feck are internationals going on during a pandemic? Brainless.
Because for millions of football fans across the world it is all that matters. They support domestic clubs which are shite and their idols are scattered across leagues, clubs and teams they feel nothing for. The only time team, players and competitiveness combine is during internationals.

Imagine being a Barnet fan, you would live for England games.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Imagine being a Barnet fan, you would live for England games.
Such a small-minded view. If you are a Barnet fan you live for Barnet games and probably couldn't care less about some England vs San Marino no-contest. Don't try to portray the South American view of NTs on European countries, it's just not the same or even comparable.