Elon Musk | Owner of X

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Absolute shamelessness of this. And then you look at the state of the account he's taking money from.

Very normal replies from very real people.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Absolute shamelessness of this. And then you look at the state of the account he's taking money from.

Very normal replies from very real people.
Sounds like someone isn't ready to go to the moon!

Withnail

After this debacle and the failed horse racing NFT, he should probably... Well I was going to say stick to football but he should shut up about that as well

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It's basically pointless looking at the replies to any relatively big account now. Mindless bots everywhere.
Do you think it's just to drive engagement? There's hundreds of them under every reply.

If it's to do that I wonder if it's Elon wanting to boost the site numbers or the actual accounts posting the tweets.

Mike Smalling

Do you think it's just to drive engagement? There's hundreds of them under every reply.

If it's to do that I wonder if it's Elon wanting to boost the site numbers or the actual accounts posting the tweets.
I think it's pretty well-known that you can buy engagement on Social Media sites, like followers on Instagram for example. Wouldn't be too hard to imagine that either Michael Owen or the company behind the latest snake-oil he is trying to sell is trying to pump the numbers up to make it look more valid than it is.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think it's pretty well-known that you can buy engagement on Social Media sites, like followers on Instagram for example. Wouldn't be too hard to imagine that either Michael Owen or the company behind the latest snake-oil he is trying to sell is trying to pump the numbers up to make it look more valid than it is.
But surely everyone can see through how bollocks those replies are.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
My wife came across this article:

https://thepointmag.com/criticism/very-ordinary-men/

Long, yes, but apart from being a brilliant review of the inanity of the Musk biography in question, it's also a great portrayal (no, not positive) of Musk himself. Well, I suppose it's nothing new for most people in this thread, but I thought this interesting - especially the bit about how Tesla made money through California's ZEV scheme.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
My wife came across this article:

https://thepointmag.com/criticism/very-ordinary-men/

Long, yes, but apart from being a brilliant review of the inanity of the Musk biography in question, it's also a great portrayal (no, not positive) of Musk himself. Well, I suppose it's nothing new for most people in this thread, but I thought this interesting - especially the bit about how Tesla made money through California's ZEV scheme.
All his firms are state sponsored.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
All his firms are state sponsored.
Yeah, it's pointed out for SpaceX as well: they're a low-cost service provider for NASA, not some science fiction lovers' dream. Nothing visionary going on, except maybe in terms of where there's money to be made.

Balljy

Yeah, it's pointed out for SpaceX as well: they're a low-cost service provider for NASA, not some science fiction lovers' dream. Nothing visionary going on, except maybe in terms of where there's money to be made.
SpaceX definitely wouldn't exist without NASA, and the early investment is the only reason they exist so that's true to an extent. It's a long time since then though, and NASA are a miniscule fraction of flights for Falcon now. I'd guess 5 or 6 a year out of hundreds of commercial launches over the last couple of years.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
SpaceX definitely wouldn't exist without NASA, and the early investment is the only reason they exist so that's true to an extent. It's a long time since then though, and NASA are a miniscule fraction of flights for Falcon now. I'd guess 5 or 6 a year out of hundreds of commercial launches over the last couple of years.
Yeah, sorry, I was too narrow. The point remains, though, that they're not some visionary company that will change history, but more like a contractor - although obviously in a rather special branch of industry.

Balljy

Yeah, sorry, I was too narrow. The point remains, though, that they're not some visionary company that will change history, but more like a contractor - although obviously in a rather special branch of industry.
That's fair. Musk is a complete tool, and it's interesting that SpaceX is the company he is most disassociated from publicly as it's probably the one he least understands.

They have become a bit of a monopoly in the industry for now (which may be an issue) and bringing costs down is a big step when it hadn't been done for 60 years. Space is not easy, Boeing and Lockheed are being paid billions more than SpaceX and have produced far less. Blue Origin have got similar money from NASA and are nowhere.

It's absolutely nothing to do with Musk, and is because of people like Tom Meuller and Gwynne Shotwell. Because of them launches have gone from once every 12 months or so to every 2 or 3 days. That is pretty impressive to do within a decade after 60 years of other agencies getting nowhere near that.

Gavinb33

Are you not seriously tempted to delete your account? How bad does the site need to get before you'd consider it?

My personal experience of quitting Twitter was a powerful feeling of "why the feck did I not do that sooner?!?"
Agreed its been great for me, I tried to ditch all SM but found due to new baby its easier to update Instagram that is linked to my FB instead of sending multiple updates on WhatsApp etc as my wife and I's family are spread across England but I still have regular breaks of having no SM for instance since Christmas I've had no SM apps on my phone and that will continue to Easter I'd have thought.

Bert_

Do you really think investors/CEOs of big companies actually worked in a lab to create the innovations they sell?
Of course not. The problem is that some people seem to think that they do.

Elon hasn't created anything, yet he has a cult following that treats him as some innovative genius. He's no more of a genius than any other successful venture capitalist.

Mike Smalling

Of course not. The problem is that some people seem to think that they do.

Elon hasn't created anything, yet he has a cult following that treats him as some innovative genius. He's no more of a genius than any other successful venture capitalist.
Yeah, this. Some people seem to think he is a master automotive engineer, rocket engineer and programmer all at once.

Bert_

I wonder what the ven diagram of Steve Jobs worshippers and Elon Musk worshippers would look like?

WPMUFC

I wonder what the ven diagram of Steve Jobs worshippers and Elon Musk worshippers would look like?
they overlap on "well they have all the money so they means they are smart" but Elon is definitely an outlier in that he courts people which actively hate his electric car push. Elon fans as of 2024 would actively seek legislation to ban EV's and lower ICE efficiency standards. Jobs cultists worshiped every product they put out as the equivalent to "mana from heaven".

Belisarius

That's fair. Musk is a complete tool, and it's interesting that SpaceX is the company he is most disassociated from publicly as it's probably the one he least understands.

They have become a bit of a monopoly in the industry for now (which may be an issue) and bringing costs down is a big step when it hadn't been done for 60 years. Space is not easy, Boeing and Lockheed are being paid billions more than SpaceX and have produced far less. Blue Origin have got similar money from NASA and are nowhere.

It's absolutely nothing to do with Musk, and is because of people like Tom Meuller and Gwynne Shotwell. Because of them launches have gone from once every 12 months or so to every 2 or 3 days. That is pretty impressive to do within a decade after 60 years of other agencies getting nowhere near that.
:)

The founder and leader of the company for its whole existence, who was directly or indirectly responsible for hiring everyone who works there, set the targets for what they were trying to achieve, arranged start-up financing (large amounts required), convinced NASA to purchase service to get them to break-even.

Of course, it's absolutely nothing to do with that guy.