Elon Musk | Owner of X

Infra-red

He seems to have fundamentally misunderstood what Twitter is (which is surprising for a person that has just paid a fortune for it). Twitter is not the public square and the future of twitter (or lack thereof) is not a free speech concern. Twitter is a private company, Elon.

stoinz

What the feck? Do people actually think that new company / phone would cost nothing or that it would magically replace Apple in the market in an instant? The alpha beta chads are a different breed.
Exactly! Some of the comments are really delusional, Tesla engineers are all Shield engineers and Musk is some real life version Tony Stark that can easily 'Jarvis' anything overnight.

There is a huge cost to building up an ecosystem with ready to go apps. Then there is this tons of license and patents fees that you need to pay to Apple, Samsung, Google god knows how many others. He certainly can do it, but at what cost?

I really do not understand this free speech argument. How is pulling out ad money = not supporting free speech. And pulling an app because it broke TC means end of civilisation?

These days I have to constantly remind myself, what i see in twitter does not reflect real life. It is one crazy bubble and if you get stuck in too long, you can really start to despair.

Ainu

Exactly! Some of the comments are really delusional, Tesla engineers are all Shield engineers and Musk is some real life version Tony Stark that can easily 'Jarvis' anything overnight.

There is a huge cost to building up an ecosystem with ready to go apps. Then there is this tons of license and patents fees that you need to pay to Apple, Samsung, Google god knows how many others. He certainly can do it, but at what cost?

I really do not understand this free speech argument. How is pulling out ad money = not supporting free speech. And pulling an app because it broke TC means end of civilisation?

These days I have to constantly remind myself, what i see in twitter does not reflect real life. It is one crazy bubble and if you get stuck in too long, you can really start to despair.
It's always the same thing with people who are the loudest about free speech, once you disagree with them, they will claim you are violating their freedom of speech. They don't care about actual free speech, they only care about their own "truths" and the ability to spread them unchallenged.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The minds of these people are positively pickled

I'd imagine a phone built by someone with zero experience designing phones made two years ago would be slightly out of date.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Oh that's not logic. He's pandering to a certain audience and media. Playing to his moronic audience.

stoinz

It's always the same thing with people who are the loudest about free speech, once you disagree with them, they will claim you are violating their freedom of speech. They don't care about actual free speech, they only care about their own "truths" and the ability to spread them unchallenged.
Yes, a bit like those religious extremists back in the middle ages.

mu4c_20le

Oh that's not logic. He's pandering to a certain audience and media. Playing to his moronic audience.
Thats the weird thing. Unlike Trump he's not running for anything, and his own base already idolize him, why keep doing things to please them while further alienating everyone else? At this point he's become their tool, and it shows. There are probably many conservatives who actually still dislike him and think he's a degenerate etc, but they're just using him because like Trump he's a very effective tool against the left.

Mike Smalling

"Storm chaser" :lol:

Why are these people so invested in Elon succeeding? It's bizarre. "It would be so insane if a billionaire amassed even more wealth!".

Hamnat

"Storm chaser" :lol:

Why are these people so invested in Elon succeeding? It's bizarre. "It would be so insane if a billionaire amassed even more wealth!".
Same reason they donate money they probably should be using for their own savings accounts or families to rich people. Thinking it would "own the libs". Those people that donated to fake Build the Wall scams. Morons, but they think they are contributing to 'owning' "enemies".

nimic

something nice
Scout
The comments on that tweet. :lol: This is all a massive parody or they are living inside a collective delusional fanfic.
Oh they're definitely all 100% serious. Elon Musk fandom has always been by far the cringiest, most embarrassing fandom out there. And while we've had people in this very thread who have left it, those who remain have become even worse.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd imagine a phone built by someone with zero experience designing phones made two years ago would be slightly out of date.
Ha! Doubt it. A secret phone would clearly only be secret all this time because it's technology is far more advanced than anything we've ever seen.

Simbo

He bought it to kill it, it's the only thing that makes sense to me. Bunch of corrupt/dictator types clubbed together and decided they didn't want Twitter around any more. There's plenty ways Musk can be repaid outside of the public eye.

Tarrou

He bought it to kill it, it's the only thing that makes sense to me. Bunch of corrupt/dictator types clubbed together and decided they didn't want Twitter around any more. There's plenty ways Musk can be repaid outside of the public eye.
how does buying a multibillion company to kill it make any sense to you?

he’s just a tit

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

Anyone who thinks this is even remotely realistic, like even 0.0001% realistic, should read up on Bezos' Fire Phone expeditions. He was certain that was going to be Amazon's biggest money spinner since AWS and it flopped so badly that it did not even last 2 years IIRC.

Simbo

how does buying a multibillion company to kill it make any sense to you?

he’s just a tit
Major social media platforms literally have the power to decide elections, all over the world. They also aid the spread of information that countries whom don't have elections, don't want to be spread. Twitter in general is/was one of, if not the most progressively moderated of them. Of course there is still loads of shit on it, but less so than facebook for example.

I'm imagining there are some very rich cnuts out there that would rather it didn't exist. Its very popular in Saudi for example, that presents a problem for the leadership of a country still living in the dark ages.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
What an utterly unimitigated douchebag. Overgrown manchild who is clearly so broken somehow that he thinks being the personification of an online troll is a good way to ruin his legacy.

Cloud7

I've been thinking about this as well. Granted he's always come across as an idiot and far from the Tony Stark that people try to make him out to be, but this Twitter tenure has been handled so spectacularly bad in so many ways that I can't help but think it was deliberate and done to kill Twitter. As much as people (especially on here) like to moan about Twitter being the worst thing to ever exist, it does a lot of good for a lot of people and has done for a long time.

Tarrou

Major social media platforms literally have the power to decide elections, all over the world. They also aid the spread of information that countries whom don't have elections, don't want to be spread. Twitter in general is/was one of, if not the most progressively moderated of them. Of course there is still loads of shit on it, but less so than facebook for example.

I'm imagining there are some very rich cnuts out there that would rather it didn't exist. Its very popular in Saudi for example, that presents a problem for the leadership of a country still living in the dark ages.
okay but how is this logistically panning out in your head?

musk drops 40bn on twitter, crashes the Tesla price and burns his entire rep and… some rich cnuts make it up to him somehow?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
their newest ads are getting past browser ublock...so the engineers have been busy!

phelans shorts

Never attribute malice which can adequately be explained by stupidity

Simbo

okay but how is this logistically panning out in your head?

musk drops 40bn on twitter, crashes the Tesla price and burns his entire rep and… some rich cnuts make it up to him somehow?
Feck knows really, could have a gun to his head for all we know. He's not the richest man in the world, just the richest that files tax returns. He'll be woefully out of his depth if he's got involved with the wrong people.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Feck knows really, could have a gun to his head for all we know. He's not the richest man in the world, just the richest that files tax returns. He'll be woefully out of his depth if he's got involved with the wrong people.
I'd apply Occam's Razor. He's just out of his depth for being an idiot. Makes more sense based on all we know about him.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not far fetched at all. Obvious, in fact. Always find it mad how people on Twitter rush to pile on someone without doing even the most basic of research. Instead of taking 5 seconds to read the tweet being responded to, they’ll spend 5 minutes screen grabbing to craft their “gotcha” tweet. So weird.
The medium's success is built on its short form, non researched hot takes fit!

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers

It failed spectacularly to decide a crucial election about 2 weeks ago tough.

led_scholes

It's amazing that in the country with the best universities, people are confusing/equatating free speech with fake news and Marxism with capitalism.

Ainu

It's amazing that in the country with the best universities, people are confusing/equatating free speech with fake news and Marxism with capitalism.
It feels like words simply have no meaning anymore. Accepted terms with decades or even centuries of history, essays, debate, facts, opinions, etc behind them can now be used to mean pretty much anything you want. Nothing needs to have any basis in reality anymore.

Tarrou

he’s been doing dumb shit like this for years..

he got in trouble with the SEC for saying dumb shit, he got in trouble for calling a guy a pedo.. all that’s happening now is a continuation of the norm

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
he’s been doing dumb shit like this for years..

he got in trouble with the SEC for saying dumb shit, he got in trouble for calling a guy a pedo.. all that’s happening now is a continuation of the norm
pretty sure he got away with that one - guy tried to sue him and lost
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50695593
Alex Spiro, Mr Musk's lawyer, argued that the "pedo guy" tweet was an offhand comment made in the course of an argument between the two men, which no-one could be expected to take seriously.