ENG v AUS First Test: Cardiff

Northstand

The draw was great, but surely papering over the cracks. Harmison and Onions will probably come in for Monty and Broad for the next test. On the batting front though, who's knocking on the door to put pressure on Cook and Bopara in particular?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Pretty desperate to have to use the physio ploy to limp over the line to a draw. I think England had better hope Lee isn't fit for the second test.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
The draw was great, but surely papering over the cracks. Harmison and Onions will probably come in for Monty and Broad for the next test. On the batting front though, who's knocking on the door to put pressure on Cook and Bopara in particular?
The only opener that springs to mind is Joe Denly of Kent, scored his third century of the summer yesterday.

zing

Zingle balls
Ian Bell. He's in the squad already. He's hardly 'knocking', though. Just sleeping on the mat outside the door, waiting for someone to open it and carry him in.

Should stick with Bopara. He's a good player.

gaffs

No one really.

I would have Rob Key in though. I would have made him captain ages ago.

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
The only opener that springs to mind is Joe Denly of Kent, scored his third century of the summer yesterday.

I'd agree with this, I watched him a week or two back when he played for theEngland B team I think and he looked like a classy player. Not sure though who i'd drop, as bad at the top order were in teh first test I still think each of them has a good knock in them.

Harmisson took 5 for 60 over the weekend and took 5 against the aussies in the lions game too I believe so for me he's a must.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Cracking match that. Shame there is no Old Trafford test this year, I'd have loved to have gone. Great day supposedly, with a few ales and sunshine.

Addict

Pretty desperate to have to use the physio ploy to limp over the line to a draw. I think England had better hope Lee isn't fit for the second test.
How much time did that waste? 1 or 2 minutes? Hardly anything, you probably would have got one more over in but you have to admit you didn't look like you were going to get Monty or Jimmy out.

Spoony

The People's President
How much time did that waste? 1 or 2 minutes? Hardly anything, you probably would have got one more over in but you have to admit you didn't look like you were going to get Monty or Jimmy out.
It wasn't cricket. That said the Ozzies are the most odious team to have played the game. So, feck'em.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
This time wasting thing is a storm in a tea cup, you'd think the Aussies were guaranteed to overhaul the lead in one over or something.

The weather played its part but that's part of cricket, and they still had a decent amount of overs at their disposal.

Or maybe it's all part of the greater mind games eh.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
What rot. Jimmy spilt his drink in his gloves so he called for more. The balcony didn't know if he wanted the 12th man or the physio so they sent both. He got his gloves and they left. Ponting just being a prat as per.

Anyway :D

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
I've never seen any group of fans celebrate a draw like the English. Small time comes to mind.

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
That's okay. I'll remember for the both of us.
You're not doing very well at it. Their fans wouldn't accept mediocrity like you lot.

Don't mind me though. Continue to celebrate your draw. It's amusing.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I don't know if this has escaped your notice but the tail batted all afternoon and we avoided going 0-1 down in the Ashes.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
2002/03 Us after drawing 2-2 with Arsenal at Higbbury.
Yep played a crucial part in clinching the league the late equaliser by Giggsy. Also us against Arsenal this season at Old Trafford is another aspect of celebrating a draw.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So they cheated just a little bit so that is OK?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It wasn't cricket. That said the Ozzies are the most odious team to have played the game. So, feck'em.
So what does that make a team of imported South Africans who have to cheat to cling on to a draw that was celebrated like VE day?

This time wasting thing is a storm in a tea cup, you'd think the Aussies were guaranteed to overhaul the lead in one over or something.

The weather played its part but that's part of cricket, and they still had a decent amount of overs at their disposal.

Or maybe it's all part of the greater mind games eh.
Yes. Mind games. That is what it was :lol:

Addict

Think it was the Old Trafford test. You had lost nine wickets and sent on the 12th man to Gillespie before the last Harmison over was bowled. After that over we couldn't bowl anymore because you were wasting time and it finished a draw.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
So what does that make a team of imported South Africans who have to cheat to cling on to a draw that was celebrated like VE day?
Oh so bitter.:D

Yes. Mind games. That is what it was :lol:
Why couldn't all this media fuss be an attempt at mind games on the part of Ponting? Doesn't seemed too far fetched.

And are you trying to claim that you would have won if not for the physiio walking on?

Jopub

From Barca to Orient - back down to earth with a b
"Thomas..It's up for grabs now - Thomas, righ
This cheating stuff is bollocks really

Before 'defined' overs came in the Aussies were masters at the the 'slow over ' rate which was a far greater sustained effort to cheat and that went on ad in finitum untill fines etc came into to stop it

As for them not winning you have to equate it to a football match where one team complete hammers the another having chance after chance after chance but ends up drawing or losing and everybody says they were 'unlucky'

Granted some things can go against you but when you have that kind of dominance you have to turn it into a victory ..........they did'nt - the first sign of any english batsmen digging their heels in they could'nt bowl them out and they had plenty of overs to do it too

I still think the Aussies will prevail and are a good side but if they cant win a match like this then at least we have a decent chance

Spoony

The People's President
The Aussies did it in 05. From whingng to sledging over the years - they've got no right to point the finger at anyone. They've tried delaying tactics many a time. England aren't angels by any means but Ponting's whinging is laughable. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Oh and Brett Lee and co celebrated a similar draw in 2005.

Wibbs, you're making me chuckle.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Ashes, shmashes

In more important news, Bangladesh have just beaten West Indies at home

Bangladesh > England, feckers