ENG v AUS First Test: Cardiff

Tabata

Likes threads entitled 'Torres Signs' & welches on
I remember that. I think it was Brett Lee who saved the game in the end. LIterally the entire Aussie team ran on to the pitch in celebration.
Missing the point. Oh well. I'll try again later maybe.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Oh so bitter.:D

Not at all. I didn't even bother watching and I support England nearly as much as I do Australia. That England's best 2 players are imports seems a bit odd mind

Why couldn't all this media fuss be an attempt at mind games on the part of Ponting? Doesn't seemed too far fetched.

And are you trying to claim that you would have won if not for the physiio walking on?
Not at all. Who knows. It all just seemed a bit underhand and desperate. Nobody even called for a Physion I believe.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Not at all. Who knows. It all just seemed a bit underhand and desperate. Nobody even called for a Physion I believe.
The second incident in particular wasn't subtle it has to be aid.

It will be interesting to see if the umpires react differently if such attempts are made by either side in the future. The controversy can't have escaped their notice, nor that of the ICC.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The second incident in particular wasn't subtle it has to be aid.

It will be interesting to see if the umpires react differently if such attempts are made by either side in the future. The controversy can't have escaped their notice, nor that of the ICC.
It will also be interesting to see if Lee can get his reverse swing going when he return from injury in the 2nd or 3rd test and how England's injuries change things.

Flying Fox

It's not just the English media that are complete nonces. I picked up a copy of the Australian this morning to find them slating the Aussie cricket team as 'limp'. :rolleyes:

gaffs

I tend to agree with Aussie logic on these matters . . .

''If you're good enough, you're old enough.''

He can't do any worse than Cook, who seems totally out of sorts at the moment.
Is he good enough though?

There is such a huge difference between County and Test cricket. Especially county bowling and Australian test bowlers.

Cook's has technical issues that he needs to sort out.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Good find. I was only recalling that incident to a mate yesterday. As bad sportsmanship goes, that wants some beating.
It does and most Australians consider it a despicable act, the darkest hour of Aussie sport that hasn't been forgotten nearly 30 years later. At the time the Chappell brothers (the Captain and the bowler involved) were roundly criticised at home and abroad including by their brother Ian, a former cricketer and a commentator at the match who could be heard shouting to his brother not to do it when it became apparent what he was planning. The Aussie team were booed from the ground by the mainly Aussie crowd.

How does this make England's tactic yesterday any less sordid?

Rooney1987

Yeah the Fans, media maybe are overreacting abit to a draw but I didn't see the England players jump up and down cheer for a draw like the Aussies did in 05 they took it as a draw.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It doesn't. But it's a bit rich when the Aussies did the exact same thing in 05. It's like Gerrard whinging about diving.
Not really the same thing though was it? Nobody even called for the physio?

I suspect it shows ho fearful England are of a whitewash. Not saying that it will happen of course. I'd guess this will have fired the Aussies up for the second test.

Spoony

The People's President
Not really the same thing though was it? Nobody even called for the physio?

I suspect it shows ho fearful England are of a whitewash. Not saying that it will happen of course. I'd guess this will have fired the Aussies up for the second test.
Yes, but that's like saying diving and subsequently rolling over 24 times is a lot worse than diving and rolling over 12 times. Yes, it wasn't in the spirit of the game - but as I said, the Aussies have done it before.