England Discussion

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Southgate was determined to leave, but he listened to his inner Gareth, and boy does that guy talk a good talk.
Only Jack Bauer can save Euro 24 now.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Well done, FA. You've managed to equal, if not even beat, the Belgium FA's ambition of burying a golden generation by backing an absolute loser.

TheRedHearted

What a joke. This is insane. The thing is I’m not sure which English manager I would prefer to give the job, if lampard showed more, yeah. Am I crazy I would prefer Ole?

saivet

Would have liked to see Tuchel or Poch in charge but can't say I'm devastated he will stay. Options are a bit limited too as I'm sure even Poch or Tuchel would prefer a club.

If the aim is to stay English, Southgate is the best choice imo.

Cloud7

This is exactly how I see it. Club sides know he is incompetent. At best he could get a Palace level job. So not only does it financially make more sense for him but on a personal level he is practically in sackable to the FA at this point. Unless he fails miserably in the Euro qualifiers. But hey if the FA are happy with his mediocre performances then who are we to judge.
Yeah he's not a guy like Luis Enrique who can walk into another top job. This is as good as he is going to get. Southgate is truly the Ole of international management.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
So disappointing. England have some technically astute players who could benefit from a modern and ambitious manager. Instead they will be held back by mediocrity's archetype.

Pintu

He might not be ambitious enough. Remember this…

If one of Enrique or Poch is available I think you should go for it.

saivet

He might not be ambitious enough. Remember this…

If one of Enrique or Poch is available I think you should go for it.
Agreed on Poch. With Enqrique, I highly doubt he is quitting from the Spain job to then take over England though. If England do go for a foreign manager, I think it will be one that has managed in England too.

RopersReturn

Very disappointing but can’t really say I’m surprised. But for the FA and their stupid decision to offer him an extended contract, we then have to listen to former players insufferably drone on in support.

Last edited:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Baring an absolute fluke this England side aren’t ever going to do better. Southgate is comfortably the best performing England manger you lot have had in my life time. It’s hilarious youse think some other manager might win you something

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
:lol: Oh look, distorting the conversation and reducing it down to moronic straw man comments. Go you.
I somehow missed this response… I am genuinely confused. I agree with you Sterling was a big mistake in that gsme. Dunno how this is distorting it into a moronic straw man or whatever. Pretty weird passive aggressive response!

AndyMUFC

I don't mind him staying until the Euros at all, there's nobody obvious to replace him. Potter or Howe may be available after the Euros and also not convinced that a Tuchel or Pochettino would even be interested nevermind do well with an international side.

croadyman

I don't mind him staying until the Euros at all, there's nobody obvious to replace him. Potter or Howe may be available after the Euros and also not convinced that a Tuchel or Pochettino would even be interested nevermind do well with an international side.
Yeah they are clearly all in for waiting until either of them become available. I feel sorry for the likes of Tomori,Toney,Barnes,Maddison who won’t get a proper chance until he leaves.

Why won’t he accept he needs to appoint an assistant more vocal than Holland. Everyone needs help to show where they are going wrong.

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
All very predictable. Pondering leaving and then ultimately staying on. He knew he was staying on if he wasn’t pushed. It’s telling that it’s mostly non English fans that say we are mad for wanting Southgate to go. It’s like liverpool and city fans wanting Ole to stay. We have got where we have in spite of Southgate not because of him. He bottled the final and made stupid decisions to bring on young inexperienced players for penalties. In the France game he bought on Sterling who had not played and been through a traumatic time to save the game and then Grealish with a couple minutes to go. The guy has zero game management skills and has no idea how to affect a game. He can play darts with the lads in the camp though and remembers everyone’s kids names.

Last edited:

Zen86

I somehow missed this response… I am genuinely confused. I agree with you Sterling was a big mistake in that gsme. Dunno how this is distorting it into a moronic straw man or whatever. Pretty weird passive aggressive response!
Great, thanks for replying a week later, I can sleep better now. It’s straw man because you’ve taken a broad point about formations and boiled it down to some simplistic thing about the Sterling sub. Not that I actually know what your point is anymore, or care.

PoTMS

How are the FA and media so out of touch? It's funny because if we would've lost to Senegal a round earlier, he'd be out on his ass but just because we lost to France, it's a free pass. We're every bit as good as France but we have a far inferior manager (and Deschamps is nothing special either).

PoTMS

Sure, bring in a pure winner like Enrique (who Southgate has gone beyond in every tournament) or Pochettino (who bottled Ligue Un with PSG)

Excellent choices.
What were your views on Ole when it was desperately clear he wasn't fit for the United job? I'd love to see the correlation between the Ole's at the wheel brigade and Southgate fans.

antk

How are the FA and media so out of touch? It's funny because if we would've lost to Senegal a round earlier, he'd be out on his ass but just because we lost to France, it's a free pass. We're every bit as good as France but we have a far inferior manager (and Deschamps is nothing special either).
Is different results having different consequences such a mystery? Of course losing to Senegal would have been a disappointment while losing to France in an otherwise impressive performance isn't. It's not so much a matter of rounds.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I think he's done a decent job all things considered but it also has to be noted that in his two main successes, the draw opened up perfectly for him which is out of his control. Either way, I think all things considered he's been better than many that went before him but I also think he's too limited to take England to the next level. I expect we'll see more repeats of this World Cup basically.

Beat teams you should beat, set up a showdown with a better team, media hype goes into overdrive with stuff like 'well, there's no reason why we can't beat France, we dominated Iran!' stuff then it'll end in glorious failure and the cycle will repeat.

phelans shorts

What were your views on Ole when it was desperately clear he wasn't fit for the United job? I'd love to see the correlation between the Ole's at the wheel brigade and Southgate fans.
Well that would describe on what defines desperately clear? I thought Ole stuck around for a couple of months too long when it was abundantly clear that it was too far gone (Liverpool would probably be the straw that broke the camels back) but was very averse to all the options available at the time. If in the same situation again I’d have the exact same opinion of all of them options as I did, well, except I’d say absolutely the feck not to Ralf Rangnick as an interim.

Chumpsbechumps

Very interesting reading the response to Southgate. Either one of two things is true, English fans have zero capacity to reflect on the objective reality of their country in international football or many of us outside of the England fanbase can see something English fans see.

So this is a Golden generation of players ? Really? This is said like it’s not been said over and over and over again every other decade about English teams, by the English media. This generation looks no more or less impressive then other ones.

It’s very hard not to rate modern players more but the difference I see is the managers humility right the way through the squad. England were as good if not better then France in my view and were unfortunate to go out to probable double world champions.

I’ve seen more confirdent and hyped up england teams bottle it and fail miserably when up against it. This team did not bottle it nor look out of place against France , you have to give Southgate credit for that, no other English managers have been able to manage the expectations.

I can’t remember watching an important knock game in a knock out tournament England game where they looked at home against a top opponent.

Sometimes having a stronger manager works and sometimes it doesnt. I think it’s less important for international football as players have little choice but to listen to the manager if they are in a country like England with such a vast pool of players.

Most World Cup winning managers have less then impressive club managing records.

I think southgates done a really good job. England haven’t looked this close to a win since 1966. Even in 1990 they weren’t exactly tearing up trees squeezing past Cameroon and Belgium.

It’s ironic that Southgate wasn’t actually the FAs first pick, that was big Sam. That sort of arrogant , Mike Bassett, appointment would of been a disaster but Southgates more respectful and none arrogant approach has been refreshing and makes him probably the 2nd best English manager to date.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
There isn't anyone English who will be better than Southgate. The FA are obviously going down the English only route even if they're not saying that exactly. That is the depressing truth. We've pretty much no chance of winning anything with Southgate as manager, that's also true of the other English options and at least Southgate has a record of getting to SF and F.

Chumpsbechumps

Who are all these great international manager candidates?

If you look at France (unbelievable squad) and Argentina (Messi excelling) there is very specific reasons why these are doing well that isn’t mainly down to their coaches.

Deschamps is doing a great job but seriously, any coach at international level who can lose Kante, Pogba (who actually tries to play for his country) and Benzema and it not impact the squad has an advantage over every country in the world.

Sure Morocco didn’t have a coach 4 months ago, he showed That getting the right culture and system can go a long way.

The croatia manager is probably the most impresive by that deduction.

TheGame

More of the same old shite until 24 and no doubt another QF close loss and we’ll be looking at an extension until 26. Same old players getting picked, that’s why they want him to continue.

TheGame

Very interesting reading the response to Southgate. Either one of two things is true, English fans have zero capacity to reflect on the objective reality of their country in international football or many of us outside of the England fanbase can see something English fans see.

So this is a Golden generation of players ? Really? This is said like it’s not been said over and over and over again every other decade about English teams, by the English media. This generation looks no more or less impressive then other ones.

It’s very hard not to rate modern players more but the difference I see is the managers humility right the way through the squad. England were as good if not better then France in my view and were unfortunate to go out to probable double world champions.

I’ve seen more confirdent and hyped up england teams bottle it and fail miserably when up against it. This team did not bottle it nor look out of place against France , you have to give Southgate credit for that, no other English managers have been able to manage the expectations.

I can’t remember watching an important knock game in a knock out tournament England game where they looked at home against a top opponent.

Sometimes having a stronger manager works and sometimes it doesnt. I think it’s less important for international football as players have little choice but to listen to the manager if they are in a country like England with such a vast pool of players.

Most World Cup winning managers have less then impressive club managing records.

I think southgates done a really good job. England haven’t looked this close to a win since 1966. Even in 1990 they weren’t exactly tearing up trees squeezing past Cameroon and Belgium.

It’s ironic that Southgate wasn’t actually the FAs first pick, that was big Sam. That sort of arrogant , Mike Bassett, appointment would of been a disaster but Southgates more respectful and none arrogant approach has been refreshing and makes him probably the 2nd best English manager to date.
Big Sam was appointed but then sacked due to an off field scandal. Southgate may be a great motivator but his in game choice is where he falls down and that is what ultimately costs you in the end. The negative approach has already cost us a place in the 2018 WC final and the 2020 Euros where if we played with a positive approach we would have won both matches.

Lecland07

There isn't anyone English who will be better than Southgate. The FA are obviously going down the English only route even if they're not saying that exactly. That is the depressing truth. We've pretty much no chance of winning anything with Southgate as manager, that's also true of the other English options and at least Southgate has a record of getting to SF and F.
Even if your are sticking with English, Potter and Howe are miles ahead of Southgate. Southgate has a record of beating easy teams, but I think you could almost put anyone there and end up with the same results.

In the end, England will never win a tournament unless they can beat a big side; that isn't going to happen under Southgate as he had no idea how to use substitutes. Doubt he will learn, either, as he repeated the mistakes from the Euro final in the game against France. That is a massive concern for any future tournament.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Baring an absolute fluke this England side aren’t ever going to do better. Southgate is comfortably the best performing England manger you lot have had in my life time. It’s hilarious youse think some other manager might win you something
Why? We have the players and a wealth of attacking options on the bench. Southgate repeatedly doesn't use those options when we need them most, and as a consequence many seem to have lost faith in his ability to make us winners.

Surely u would agree that using our bench more positively would give us a better chance of turning things in our favour. Southgate has done an incredible job in many regards, but his ongoing reluctance to go for the win is stifling our chaces of ever making that next step.

Not totally against him carrying on, but I can't really say I expect anything other than more of the same.

Irrational.

You look at the managers of Brazil and Portugal who left despite promising displays, and you look at England who are happy to dickride the wave of mediocrity. This is why England will always be failures, unless they can get a manager in place with the spark to win silverware.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
So, it turns out that it would have been better for england to get battered by France. He might have gone, then.

The euro's are now a write off. Surely, he will leave then?