g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

England vs Iceland

032Devil

Almost Portugal but...

England's slow style will struggle against Icelands cavalier style.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
No point in Iceland turning up. The BBC already have England into the next round.

Fwiw, England should destroy Iceland. Their keeper is dodgy. Throw shots at him and good things will happen.

Aki_United

Sry, England but I'm rooting for the underdogs. Would be funny, if they win the EC.

ReDDHDevilS

It'd be a difficult game. Iceland will put 10 men behind the ball and try to take advantage of set plays.

I can see England struggling again and won't be surprised if Iceland wins. Didn't Iceland beat the Netherlands home and away?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Iceland did really well in the qualifiers, it will probably either be a boring 1-0 or go to ET.

032Devil

Linakar: "The good news: England have never lost against Iceland."

Done deal then!?!

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I'll be rooting for Iceland. I have them in my works sweepstakes, didn't expect them to get out of the group!

stubie

I've backed Iceland to win the tournament so I'm torn on Monday

Treble

Iceland are heroes but can't see them winning vs England.

podurban2

Lagerbäck has never lost against England btw. I think England may struggle unless someone like Vardy shows up.

Ban

I love how Iceland is already being underestimated. Not here but in the media and on the internet....

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
8pm confirmed.

Also...

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Nice at the end of June = 30c +
No disrespect to Iceland, who won't be pushovers, but I'd much rather face Iceland than Portugal in that heat.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

On paper England has more than enough quality to beat Iceland but at this level there aren't many "easy games" unless you have a really exceptional team. And England have been far from exceptional thus far and goals have been hard to come by for them despite the huge amount of possession they've enjoyed. It will be a game in which Iceland will be allowed to play their natural game (counter attack) and England will try to make things happen against a very deep and organized defense. A possibly dodgy game if the goal that will make everything easier isn't coming as the match progresses.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Think England will win easily, to be honest. Hope I'm wrong.

RK

Initial odds (Betfair exchange) say England have a ~77% chance of getting to the next round. Most bookies ~80%.
Sounds about right...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Have a soft spot for both teams :( I think Iceland’s tank will be empty and England will take this 2-0.

drdoityourself

I can't believe it! We're in the knockout stages in a major tournament. Something I never thought would be remotely possible growing up.

We'll most definitely park the bus...we've had major struggles keeping possession and I'd like to think we can only improve from what we've served up so far. Every time we've managed to string more than 2-3 passes together and get Gylfi on the ball we've created chances.
So I'd like to think we stand a small chance of progressing, but that would be a bonus. Facing England, which has been the most covered national team through the years in Iceland due to high EPL interest, in a knock-out tie, is already a dream come true.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
As bad as he's been Sterling has to start.

Iceland will defend with their lives and Sterling is the only player who can skip past a man and create something.

Iceland will let England have the ball and stay organized to pace is needed so Sterling, Sturridge, and Vardy must start. I'd save Kane as an impact sub if needed.

The Firestarter

As bad as he's been Sterling has to start.

Iceland will defend with their lives and Sterling is the only player who can skip past a man and create something.

Iceland will let England have the ball and stay organized to pace is needed so Sterling, Sturridge, and Vardy must start. I'd save Kane as an impact sub if needed.
I see where you are coming from, but he is far too erratic to start. There won't be too many chances for him to miss. And his decision making is awful. Vardy + Sturridge is still the best option.