English cricket thread

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
England still jar the hell out of me despite loving Bazball

Would have just waited for tomorrow's cloudy conditions

Balljy

Declaring on day 1 of the ashes. England setting out the way they're going to play this series quickly.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Good call that.

Tired Aussie's, sun setting and light disappearing, get two wickets tonight and England are right in the driving seat.

slyadams

I find this a very strange declaration. Sure you might remove 1 before the close and then feel very happy, but if you don't then you've given up on who knows how many runs. Its not like time is going to be short or you're setting up day 5. Let's hope this doesn't come down to 20-30 runs.

Ultimately England have to remove a player here else this is a terrible declaration.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
A declaration before 400 seems crazy but this sort of thing has been the making of England the last couple of years. Big call
one team doing anything to entertain and make a game of it, the other, setting fields like this for the first ball of the ashes-

Dan_F

Don’t forget new ball was due. Unlikely Robinson/Anderson would have offered much.

Lets see how this goes before passing judgement. In fact feck it, I love this call.

Dan_F

one team doing anything to entertain and make a game of it, the other, setting fields like this for the first ball of the ashes-

That’s a classic ‘retreat’ field on Brian Lara cricket.

Can you tell I dug my PS1 out the loft the other day.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Even if it turns out to be a mistake I love this call, sends a big message to the Aussies that we ain't here to roll over for them.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
That’s a classic ‘retreat’ field on Brian Lara cricket.

Can you tell I dug my PS1 out the loft the other day.
think i heard cummins discussing having a backstop on the stump mic.

prateik

As a neutral here, England are great fun to watch..
I love this Bazball thing.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Even if it turns out to be a mistake I love this call, sends a big message to the Aussies that we ain't here to roll over for them.
aye. thought the first hour was pretty telling. aussies from years gone by would have come out and had a right go at us and might have rolled us over and made us doubt ourselves. we should have got at least another 100 on that deck but i think we’ll have taken a lot of positives from that first innings.

slyadams

Don’t forget new ball was due. Unlikely Robinson/Anderson would have offered much.

Lets see how this goes before passing judgement. In fact feck it, I love this call.
Probably not, but the hard ball can fly around and Root would have loved that. I'm probably wrong, but we could have left 20-30 runs on the table here. If we don't get a wicket before the close its for nothing.

LDUred

Whether it backfires or not, that crowd have got more than their money's worth for the first day of a test match. Best part of 400 runs, 8 wickets, and a ballsy declaration. Plus they now get to see Anderson and Broad steaming in.

That kind of spectacle is going to save test cricket, ultimately.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Whether it backfires or not, that crowd have got more than their money's worth for the first day of a test match. Best part of 400 runs, 8 wickets, and a declaration.

That is going to save test cricket, ultimately.
Still the best form of cricket.

dpansheth

balls this team has... amazing. becoming a fan of english cricket team.
@rohit sharma, this is how you play cricket you idiot.