English cricket thread

arnie_ni

How many overs would we expect? Root has just hit a couple of 6s. I'd have let him smash away. He could have got the score to 420 or 30 in 2 or 3 overs.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
How many overs would we expect? Root has just hit a couple of 6s. I'd have let him smash away. He could have got the score to 420 or 30 in 2 or 3 overs.
Play until about 7ish I think?

And yeah I'd have at least given it until Root got out smacking it around the place.

croadyman

Probably not, but the hard ball can fly around and Root would have loved that. I'm probably wrong, but we could have left 20-30 runs on the table here. If we don't get a wicket before the close its for nothing.
Yeah I think we should have batted out innings,those runs left out there could be costly

slyadams

Should have just carried on batting. Trying to make sure they bat on day 3 when there will be some cloud cover. Understand the mindset but dont think it’s the right decision.
Agreed, unless we take a wicket we've just given up on some runs there. Additionally, if Australia survive they'll come off knowing they've seen us off tonight and will be a little boost for them. Surely getting the Australian openers out in the morning having to think about fielding not just batting would have been good as well.

Agent Red

Hmm have to feel like that didn’t really pay off and I’d rather have had the extra 30-40 it felt like we left, but exciting day and fingers crossed we skittle a few in the morning

Djemba-Djemba

Declaration was daft but that's the risk you get with a captain so ultra attacking.

Think our score was probably a little under par but it was a fun watch and Root was brilliant. Great to see him finally get another ashes ton.

Big day tomorrow!

croadyman

Hmm have to feel like that didn’t really pay off and I’d rather have had the extra 30-40 it felt like we left, but exciting day and fingers crossed we skittle a few in the morning
Yeah utterly daft decision indeed

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fun day.

Love to see the aggression with the declaration, but I think they should’ve stayed out there until Root got out swinging.

AshRK

Unless Aussie batters have a brain fade, this declaration is a daft one. It could very well cost them the match.

Dan_F

No problem with the decision. The ball was doing nothing though, which is a concern.

If you can’t see why Stokes has done that from a leadership point of view, then I don’t know what to tell you. Everything he’s doing in terms of building a culture is leadership 101.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Nothing wrong with shoving them in for 20 mins when they've been out in that heat all day. Didn't pay off but it could do many times.

Djemba-Djemba

Bit worried about how one paced the attack is, especially if it's a hot day again tomorrow with no movement.

Need some early wickets tomorrow

zing

Zingle balls
Pitch demerit points for thee, bazball for me..

Flat road. This isn't good cricket. It's T20 over 90 overs.

Dan_F

England scored more in day one of the test at Edgbaston in 2005. Hardly t20.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Nice and hot tomorrow, Australia will bat all day.
Whose forecast you looking at? One I checked doesn't look too hot. A good few degrees cooler than today and lots of cloud cover.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Slightly disappointed by the day for England. Left with the feeling that 500+ was there for the taking with slightly better batting & a bit more luck. Australia really were strangely negative and I wish that Brook hadn’t gotten out like that

croadyman

Slightly disappointed by the day for England. Left with the feeling that 500+ was there for the taking with slightly better batting & a bit more luck. Australia really were strangely negative and I wish that Brook hadn’t gotten out like that
Well certainly at least 425

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

Cmon Zing you know more about Cricket than to call it after day one. It's turning and indifferent bounce but a good wicket to bat on.

Plenty more to come.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I get completely why people analyse the what ifs with Cricket. That's usually the whole fun of it.

Not much point with Stokes England though. They literally don't care about what ifs. They play on vibes and move on quickly.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I don't for the life of me understand that call. Unless they thought that the Aussies were knackered having been in the heat (which they're used to) all day and this would lead to some wickets. Clearly the conditions were favouring the batsmen. England should have just gone full slog mode and tried to get a six on every ball until we got bowled out. And if you wanted to play psychological games we should have just tried to stay in till the end of play and made them come out tomorrow to field for one over then declare.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I don't for the life of me understand that call. Unless they thought that the Aussies were knackered having been in the heat (which they're used to) all day and this would lead to some wickets. Clearly the conditions were favouring the batsmen. England should have just gone full slog mode and tried to get a six on every ball until we got bowled out. And if you wanted to play psychological games we should have just tried to stay in till the end of play and made them come out tomorrow to field for one over then declare.
This was clearly the hope. It didn't come off but we have to put up with this stuff even when it's a bit dumb. It is born of the same 'let's just go for it and see what happens' attitude that is solely responsible for the fact that sometimes someone other than Joe Root now scores runs.

LDUred

England scored more in day one of the test at Edgbaston in 2005. Hardly t20.
Field placings make a big, big difference, especially in the course of near enough three sessions and the amount of boundaries that saves.

I have never seen a test match where Australia spread the field from ball one. That's what happened today, and England still scored near enough 400 before the declaration.

Placed in the context of the tactics Australia went with and the fact that they are impeccable ground fielders, it is remarkable to pile on those sort of runs.

Last edited:

Balljy

This was clearly the hope. It didn't come off but we have to put up with this stuff even when it's a bit dumb. It is born of the same 'let's just go for it and see what happens' attitude that is solely responsible for the fact that sometimes someone other than Joe Root now scores runs.
It's also stats probably so they can be aggressive at what they see as the right time. If there's 10% more chance of wickets between 5:30pm and 6:30pm they're probably going to take that as a possible advantage as long as they've scored enough to make it viable.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It's also stats probably so they can be aggressive at what they see as the right time. If there's 10% more chance of wickets between 5:30pm and 6:30pm they're probably going to take that as a possible advantage as long as they've scored enough to make it viable.
I'm not convinced he wouldn't have declared at the same time if we were 6 down.

Dan_F

I'm not convinced he wouldn't have declared at the same time if we were 6 down.
Don’t be daft :lol:

With the new ball an over or whatever away, he’s probably thought that best case scenario, Root adds another 30 runs. On the flip side, it wouldn’t be unheard to get a wicket or even two in the remaining overs, which is worth far more than 30 runs.

Ignoring that, he’s clearly setting a marker and showing the players he means what he says and he’s not bluffing. Sometimes that’s worth more than getting the immediate decision right every time. My job is heavily about leadership, and from my point of view anyway, it’s pretty obvious why he’s made that decision looking more longer term.