g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

English & Irish Cricket Summer 2018

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's a really good bowler, from what I've seen.

EDIT - Also, go away. That was way more discussion of shite unrelated to the thread than is justified and all involved deserve a stern look.

JohnnyKills

What are we expecting today then folks?

Reckon India will bat first and set a big total. England will give it a good go but fall short.

If we can keep Kuldeep wicketless it'll be a big step forward for next year's WC.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I don't think we'll bat first. We'll want to chase and England will want to set a total. It always flat in Leeds so expect a big target.

BerbaDean

Currently outside in Manchester it's overcast and looks blurgh, but just checked the forecast for Leeds and surprisingly it's good!

If Jason Roy misses out today I think that's a big blow for us, we're already missing Hayles for the series with injury, so the top order suddenly looks flat if you take those out.

I think England will win the toss and bowl and hope to chase down a score of around 230.

Di Maria's angel

England often bowl when given the chance. Lord's was a case of Morgan using local knowledge.
Can't see England wanting to bowl first. Our spinners will probably get more assistance later on as well and I've always felt that Englands strongest attribute is their ability to set massive targets - both 400s came from batting first. However, we may feel the need to bat first given our middle order weakness.

JohnnyKills

Can't see England wanting to bowl first. Our spinners will probably get more assistance later on as well and I've always felt that Englands strongest attribute is their ability to set massive targets - both 400s came from batting first. However, we may feel the need to bat first given our middle order weakness.
Brainless from Sharma. Backed himself into a corner then played a ridiculously high-risk shot.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Nah England are far better batting 2nd as they are prone to a collapse. Batting 2nd generally means they can pace themselves towards a win.

DOTA

I think this might be enough, given the pitch is turning.

paulscholes18

The kind of total that having Vince in for may be a good thing and if Bairstow bats how he can and is in after 15 overs it could well be game over for India

JohnnyKills

We need to stop bothering with Vince. He's had chance after chance and keeps squandering them.

If we get through India's spinners today, we win the game. So what does he do? Gets caught dawdling on the very first ball and runs himself out.

Hick and Ramprakash must watch Vince and ponder the unfairness of life. If only they'd had the number of opportunities he's burned over the years.

DOTA

We need to stop bothering with Vince. He's had chance after chance and keeps squandering them.

If we get through India's spinners today, we win the game. So what does he do? Gets caught dawdling on the very first ball and runs himself out.

Hick and Ramprakash must watch Vince and ponder the unfairness of life. If only they'd had the number of opportunities he's burned over the years.
They had far, far more.

EDIT - I'm no fan of Vince but bloody hell...

JohnnyKills

They had far, far more.

EDIT - I'm no fan of Vince but bloody hell...
Unfortunately they would only get two or three chances before being dropped. Vince had an entire winter tour to prove himself and couldn't do it. Now he's back in the fold. Doesn't make sense.

DOTA

Doesnt look like it. Still a fairly good wicket with a little turn. After being 120-2, we should have pushed for 280+.
Not bowling absolute filth at the beginning would've helped too.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Unfortunately they would only get two or three chances before being dropped. Vince had an entire winter tour to prove himself and couldn't do it. Now he's back in the fold. Doesn't make sense.
Back in the fold from an ODI perspective though and even then only because Malan is playing an A game and Billings has been largely useless. Can’t see it as the same as the longer game.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Root managed to get his century & does a bat drop :lol:

AshRK

Some strange tactics by India in the last 2 odis. Same.old problem of bowlers being mediocre and batsmen failing to score big. The likes of shardul, sidhart are not good enough for odis, god forbid the tests, same with raina. Dhoni (who I really like) needs to be told what his role is. India, surprisingly, played with a defeatist attitude in both the matches, gave up the match. Hopefully we bounce back in the tests.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
What a super series win for England, mighty impressive specially because they came from one down and won both batting first and chasing . Indian odi team is top 3 or bust . Good luck winning the world cup with Raina and Dhoni in the middle order

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Kohli is a poor captain, India have been winning despite having him as captain rather than because of him . He makes so many ridiculous decisions which would be questioned if it was any other captain

Di Maria's angel

Some strange tactics by India in the last 2 odis. Same.old problem of bowlers being mediocre and batsmen failing to score big. The likes of shardul, sidhart are not good enough for odis, god forbid the tests, same with raina. Dhoni (who I really like) needs to be told what his role is. India, surprisingly, played with a defeatist attitude in both the matches, gave up the match. Hopefully we bounce back in the tests.
What a super series win for England, mighty impressive specially because they came from one down and won both batting first and chasing . Indian odi team is top 3 or bust . Good luck winning the world cup with Raina and Dhoni in the middle order
Both are right. Horrible selections - persistence with Yuvi cost us the CT and now with Raina cost this series. When you've the likes on Pandey, Jhadav, Rayudu (although he failed the fitness) who have proven themselves time and time again, its stupid to keep going back to guys who havent been good since 2009. Rahul was dropped after one bad performance and Pant wasnt even taken after ripping the IPL to shreds. Our management is ridiculous. So much talent, so few chances given.

Alas, the tests will show us just how far that team has come since touring the UK in 2014. With Bumrah, Ishant and Shami back, I think we're a much stronger unit. Vijay, Rahane and Pujara should strengthen our batting, too.

With the right selections, we'll be one of the favourites in 2019. Done well in recent ICC events and have a whole year to prepare.

Also well played England. Evenly matched LO series' tied at 3-3 shows how strong both teams are.

JohnnyKills

Great win for England although there's not much between the two sides. Kuldeep's the most dangerous bowler on either side but England's tail is much shorter than India's. That lack of lower-order firepower could be a huge weakness for India next year.

Big plus for England is how they improved against Kuldeep as the series went on. If all our top batsmen can pick him it's a huge bonus going into the WC.

India still have a world-class top three but massive question marks around the seam bowling unit for me.

Skills

Snitch
I don't get why India are persisting with Dhoni when they've got a deep pool in the WK position. Though he's performing okay, he's still nowhere his best and the decline is quite obvious. At his age, he could fall off the cliff quite quickly then they're fecked going into the World Cup a year away, having not done anything to properly integrate the other options into the team.

AshRK

Kohli is a poor captain, India have been winning despite having him as captain rather than because of him . He makes so many ridiculous decisions which would be questioned if it was any other captain
Especially in shorter versions. Some of his decisions are strange , just like with RCB. I know we missed bumrah but why do you drop umesh yadav. Why open the bowling with pandya in such a crunch game? Illogical decisions

Skills

Snitch
Yeah it's a weird one. The captaincy has elevated his batting to a different level, but he's just not very good at it. And there aren't any other options.

AshRK

I don't get why India are persisting with Dhoni when they've got a deep pool in the WK position. Though he's performing okay, he's still nowhere his best and the decline is quite obvious. At his age, he could fall off the cliff quite quickly then they're fecked going into the World Cup a year away, having not done anything to properly integrate the other options into the team.
I don't think having dhoni is the problem, in fact his presence still has a huge factor. It's just his role is wierd. He should be promoted to number 4 if he is going to play a slow knock. Rohit needs to be more consistent and dhawan needs to convert his knocks to a big one. Raina is useless/spentforce. I would persist with dinesh kartik and bring in pant. Not capitalizing on pant after his IPL heroics was a big joke.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
God it fecking sucks to see Dhoni bat like this. Please retire.

JohnnyKills

Especially in shorter versions. Some of his decisions are strange , just like with RCB. I know we missed bumrah but why do you drop umesh yadav. Why open the bowling with pandya in such a crunch game? Illogical decisions
Yeah Yadav was v strange. I'd say he's your most threatening quick bowler. Pandya just looks like a standard medium-pacer to me.

paulscholes18

God it fecking sucks to see Dhoni bat like this. Please retire.
Like he’s doing a tribute to Gavaskar 36 off 174, very strange batting performance’s in the last 2 ODI.

Very pleasing batting performance’s from Root and Morgan England seemed to had learned from the 5th ODI vs Australia when they nearly made a dogs dinner chasing a sub-par score

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Dhawan perhaps? Or Raina?
Raina shouldn't play another match for any of our team. Mediocre player.

Indian test team announced.

Rohit Sharma not picked. He was selected in first XI in the first two test matches against SAfrica. Shastri really needs to go really. Pathetic.