Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's not looking good bruv

Considering he's pushed up to the edge of the box most of the time it's hardly concerning. He should never be the deepest midfielder.

Enzo is miles away from our biggest problem at the moment. Considering the relative jump in quality from the Portuguese league to the PL I'd say he's adapted admirably for someone as young and inexperienced as he is.

TsuWave

I don't think anyone was saying he's your biggest problem. The manner in which you're using him is "yikes" worthy.

€121M

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I genuinely have no idea what you're on about. Enzo is and always has been ideally used as a box-to-box 6/8 hybrid. Curious as to how that relates to him being used wrongly as evidenced by opposition dribbles?

It's also a totally misleading stat because Chelsea have been so fecking awful over the past few games and have obviously been pushing men forward which leaves the midfielders isolated - comparing "average times dribbled past" over wildly different sample sizes means game state has an outsized effect. Happy to revisit this if/when Potter is sacked and Chelsea display even a modicum of cohesion.

TsuWave

I genuinely have no idea what you're on about. Enzo is and always has been ideally used as a box-to-box 6/8 hybrid.
I agree.

His debut IIRC he was the deepest midfielder though - and I've seen instances in other games in which the same has happened. I think Chelsea shouldn't have sold Jorginho til the summer. Isolated or not - he's being dribbled past too many times. Again, no one said he's your biggest problem.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I agree.

His debut IIRC he was the deepest midfielder though - and I've seen instances in other games in which the same has happened. I think Chelsea shouldn't have sold Jorginho til the summer. Isolated or not - he's being dribbled past too many times. Again, no one said he's your biggest problem.
Ah! I see what you're saying. And yes - I agree with you. Potter starting him next to RLC and then replacing RLC with Zakaria pretty strongly suggests that he has no idea what the feck he's doing or who the best partner is for Enzo.

Enzo can be the deepest midfielder at times if it's a 3 man midfield - but he's ideally suited to having freedom to move vertically. The way Argentina used him at the WC was as the deepest midfielder on paper between Macallister & De Paul, but in practice he would regularly run beyond them in possession - this is more or less what Casemiro was doing at Real Madrid at his peak. Obviously they are different players - Real had Casemiro doing so much running to save the legs of Modric and Kroos, and Casemiro is among the best players ever in terms of defensive transitions, but the basic concept is the same.

The issue with Jorginho is he was out of contract in the summer - so the 12m was handy to get in now. I think you are right though that if Enzo is pigeonholed into that strict deep-lying role it's a huge waste - it's not dissimilar to Kante when he first came in and everyone went "hurr durr he's a CDM!!!!!11!!" when that has never been the case.

Glorio

Needs to study Sabitzer carefully and adapt his game with humility and hard work to measure up

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
The issue with Jorginho is he was out of contract in the summer - so the 12m was handy to get in now. I think you are right though that if Enzo is pigeonholed into that strict deep-lying role it's a huge waste - it's not dissimilar to Kante when he first came in and everyone went "hurr durr he's a CDM!!!!!11!!" when that has never been the case.
With the way Boehly is splashing cash I doubt 12m for Jorginho would have made any difference either way. Thanks, though. :D

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He is
Not a Fabregas
Not a Essien
Not a Lampard
Not a Makelele

Might be something in between those. He has alot to work to do.

Last edited:

cyberman

If he has a bad finish to the season then it’s 6 months of good season in Portugal and the same in England.
There’s an argument then as to why 6 months in a smaller league is worth more as a way to judge him than the equivalent in England

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He'll probably come good under another manager, that's the feeling I get with these new Chelsea players. They can't all be duds

Castia

Who’d have thought that a player costing about 10m 6 month ago wouldn’t look anywhere near a 100m+ player….

RuudTom83

Nothing against Enzo, but the media's treatment of Pogba and Maguire, mentioning the transfer fee every sentence, makes me want Enzo to receive the same treatment.

Watching Chelsea/Spurs yesterday I was actually shocked when I heard his name, didn't realised he was playing.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He'll probably come good under another manager, that's the feeling I get with these new Chelsea players. They can't all be duds
The primary problem for Chelsea is coaching. It's very easy to see on the eye but Chelsea like United of yesterday years, many fans can't detect a below par coach.

But also Chelsea is not a 600m team, same recipe as United of forking out millions with below par coaching, means huge turnovers in players and coaches which = to time in the wilderness.

Long may the confusion continue

romufc

Nothing against Enzo, but the media's treatment of Pogba and Maguire, mentioning the transfer fee every sentence, makes me want Enzo to receive the same treatment.

Watching Chelsea/Spurs yesterday I was actually shocked when I heard his name, didn't realised he was playing.

It serves media nothing to criticise Chelsea and Enzo, they wont get clicks.

The reasont thy were so loud with manutd, they knew there will be greater engagemet.

Lee565

100 million from Liverpool and 120 million from chelsea in one season, benfica must be laughing their asses off the prem teams having more money than sense

cyberman

That immediately draws concern about coaching and tactics.
I’d think he needs to improve on that even if he doesn’t suit a deeper role. Even next to a DM he could cause the press to break down with stats like that.
You can’t really get away with that as a midfielder in England

BerryBerryShrew

I’d think he needs to improve on that even if he doesn’t suit a deeper role. Even next to a DM he could cause the press to break down with stats like that.
It's odd because he seemed to be quite tenacious during the WC. That was just based on the eye test though- there may be some damning stats for that too but he certainly gave the impression of having competence in the defensive side of the game.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It depends on what it is being caused by, though. Stupidity like having him as the last line of midfield, or having him paired off with extremely fast players, deserves every bit of hazing they're receiving.

If the issues persist in a coherent midfield with an outlined and sound role for him, then yeah, it's on the player.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
100 million from Liverpool and 120 million from chelsea in one season, benfica must be laughing their asses off the prem teams having more money than sense
If they at least held all the shares in the players. Isn't there almost always a significant portion with ex-clubs and/or "advisors"? Otherwise they would be much richer.

Pocho

He´s a great player, not 120 million worthy though but 60

Idxomer

His passing stats have been off the charts so far in the PL. Pair him with a more defensively disciplined midfielder and the complaints about him will disappear.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's clearly a good player and has a nice eye for a pass, but the furore around him after the world cup was a joke.

Lets be honest, I know it's early days but he's not done anything to improve Chelsea. Certainly not enough for a British record.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His passing stats have been off the charts so far in the PL. Pair him with a more defensively disciplined midfielder and the complaints about him will disappear.
Sounds like he needs a DM to unlock him? where have I heard that before. :wenger:

IFC 1905

I imagine Enzo nexto Casemiro and want to cry. He would've been inch perfect for United.

If Chelsea gets Tuchel back he will improve inmediately.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I imagine Enzo nexto Casemiro and want to cry. He would've been inch perfect for United.

If Chelsea gets Tuchel back he will improve inmediately.
I think it's PSG that are meant to be getting Tuchel back, not Chelsea.

BarcaSpurs

It's odd because he seemed to be quite tenacious during the WC. That was just based on the eye test though- there may be some damning stats for that too but he certainly gave the impression of having competence in the defensive side of the game.
He's also averaging 5.8 tackles/interceptions per match. Rodri is 3.2, Casemiro 4.5, Bruno G 3.4, Bentancur 3.6. Even Palhinha is only 5.6. Definitely suggests he's being asked to do too much so far.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Not his fault he was bought for a record fee. Chelsea bought him when his stock was at an all time high mid season :lol:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's also averaging 5.8 tackles/interceptions per match. Rodri is 3.2, Casemiro 4.5, Bruno G 3.4, Bentancur 3.6. Even Palhinha is only 5.6. Definitely suggests he's being asked to do too much so far.
Yep. In terms of game-state, he's basically played, what, 30 minutes of football with Chelsea where we weren't throwing everyone forward looking for a goal? Of course he's going to be exposed on counters - and this is compounded because Potter hasn't the foggiest idea of how to put together a cohesive side.