Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Now now, let’s play fair…

If United’s signing are forever quoted in euros so they can be slagged off on the Cafe then the same should apply for other teams.

Enzo cost 121 million euros!
Don't forget agents fees, add-ons, solidarity payments and wages!

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
5 players in the top 10 though? ;)

But seriously, that's what, 1 outright success, jury's out on 5 and then 4 that failed to live up to expectations or outright flopped hard?
Both United and Chelsea have a poor record with their most expensive signings.

Torres, Pulisic, Morata, Kepa and Lukaku failed/flopped.
Cucurella, Fofana, Mudryk and Fernandez just signed but Fofana's been mostly injured (and you since signed two more CBs) so will have to see with those.
Havertz is Havertz and can't see you getting the money back for him. You do have this annoying tendency to make big signings that ultimately don't work out but you then end up winning the Champions League. I can actually see that happening again this time around.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Ok €70m profit. I'm sure they're gutted.
I imagine their fans are, with Enzo they had a genuine outside shot of doing a Porto 2004.

I doubt €70m euros in their owners wallet is much consolation!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair I think that says more about our club over the last 10 years than the players themselves.

What player hasn't flopped? only really Martial has lasted since the LVG era and he's wishy washy.

Fernandes is the only 'hit' we've had in most of our transfers. Some decent squad players like Fred,Herrera but the majority have all come and gone quickly.

It doesn't help that our playing style has gone from direct to possession to counter then back to direct again over several managers.
When you put it that way, yeah.

I'm not sure I would consider Pogba and Maguire flops though, as they have been very useful players at times. Jury is still out on Sancho, Antony, Fofana, Grealish and obviously Enzo Fernandez. So that leaves the only outright flops as Lukaku at United and Lukaku at Chelsea.

Lemoor

Then you need to switch it to pounds for no reason and slightly inflate the fee whilst complaining about it.

Can't believe they signed someone from the Portuguese league for £130m.
Ridiculous signing. For £160m they could build an entire team that would be higher in Premier League table.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Both United and Chelsea have a poor record with their most expensive signings.

Torres, Pulisic, Morata, Kepa and Lukaku failed/flopped.
Cucurella, Fofana, Mudryk and Fernandez just signed but Fofana's been mostly injured (and you since signed two more CBs) so will have to see with those.
Havertz is Havertz and can't see you getting the money back for him. You do have this annoying tendency to make big signings that ultimately don't work out but you then end up winning the Champions League. I can actually see that happening again this time around.
Very true indeed, which makes this wild spending spree extra risky because we tend to get more wrong than right with our expensive transfers.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He looked like a huge talent in the world cup however he is young and has only been playing regularly in the Portugese league for half a season so he is unproven at the top level - hugely risky signing at that money. He could become an elite level midfielder and be seen as worth it over the next few years but there is every chance he will struggle in the Premiership and be just 'ok'. Will be interesting to see how he gets on as I do like him.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Very true indeed, which makes this wild spending spree extra risky because we tend to get more wrong than right with our expensive transfers.
Well nothing to worry about, its not like the club just took on what could be considered a big liability for the future. Will be interesting to see how Chelseas owner handles finances this time around. Last time the club was funded by a Oligarch who played FM in real life, only he gave the club £2bn in a interest free loan they never had to repay. That is one hell of a gift.

I dont think the American in charge is going to feel the same way if they add outside investment from their own coffers to the club, they will want that back.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He looked like a huge talent in the world cup however he is young and has only been playing regularly in the Portugese league for half a season so he is unproven at the top level - hugely risky signing at that money. He could become an elite level midfielder and be seen as worth it over the next few years but there is every chance he will struggle in the Premiership and be just 'ok'. Will be interesting to see how he gets on as I do like him.
Quality should be obvious regardless of the level they're playing at.

The obesession with "PL proven pedigree" is what lumbered us with Lukaku.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Get your Enzo Fernandez name by combining the first name of a car entrepreneur and the surname of a United midfielder with a Z on the end.

I'm Ferruccio Sabitzerz.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think he's going to be a top player, I'd have loved him at United

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
When you put it that way, yeah.

I'm not sure I would consider Pogba and Maguire flops though, as they have been very useful players at times. Jury is still out on Sancho, Antony, Fofana, Grealish and obviously Enzo Fernandez. So that leaves the only outright flops as Lukaku at United and Lukaku at Chelsea.
Pogba did fine in my eyes but never lived up to some peoples expectations. He obviously had some bad moments but most if it was blown way out of proportion.

Unfortunately for him, his public talking about leaving and wanting to join Madrid ruined any favour he had left here.

Maguire is a flop but that's not really his fault. He was never that great in the first place and the club should never have paid that much for him.

Sancho? well he's still got time but so far, not great - whatever is happening with him now is a mystery. He might never get back to what he was, or he might be twice the player.

Lukaku is a strange one, he was great at Everton until he joined us, he had a solid first 6 months then started to bulk up it all fell apart.

Skills

Snitch
It's a crazy amount of money for a midfielder tbh. I always feel this kinda fee is only really works for players with real attacking output, or else you're under a huge amount of pressure.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

It's not though is it - very little to judge him on so far - 17 games for Benfica and a few good games in a world cup (notoriously bad idea to sign a player off a good international tournament) - this is a huge risk.

jm99

How often does signing a player off the back of a good world cup ever really actually work out? Hopefully not on this occasion

Lemoor

There is a bit of a gap between "PL proven obsession" and "6 months of European football in Portuguese League"

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's a crazy amount of money for a midfielder tbh. I always feel this kinda fee is only really works for players with real attacking output, or else you're under a huge amount of pressure.
It is also an insane amount of money for potential. The guy had 10 good to great games in his life and goes for 121m. Insanity.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's not though is it - very little to judge him on so far - 17 games for Benfica and a few good games in a world cup (notoriously bad idea to sign a player off a good international tournament) - this is a huge risk.
There is a bit of a gap between "PL proven obsession" and "6 months of European football in Portuguese League"
I knew Reece James was going to be elite before he even kicked a ball in men's football.

Madrid are paying through the nose for Endrick who's played what, around ten first team games?

Sometimes it's just obvious.

bringbackbebe

Get your Enzo Fernandez name by combining the first name of a car entrepreneur and the surname of a United midfielder with a Z on the end.

I'm Ferruccio Sabitzerz.
Kiichiro Savagez
Chung McTominayz

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Oh boy this really looks awful when presented like this. 5 of our own transfers and if you were to be honest - all, but the one we did this year (so too early to tell) seem to be terrible pieces of business. Only VVD seems to have been worth the money.
Lukaku on there twice two. Mental.

Glorio

I knew Reece James was going to be elite before he even kicked a ball in men's football.

Madrid are paying through the nose for Endrick who's played what, around ten first team games?

Is it that obvious with Enzo though? Compared to say Bellingham?

Stacks

He went to Benfica for €10m in August. They've made a €101m profit on him in six months :lol:
its insane. These smaller clubs taking the prem of bozos. That Ukrainian player was valued at 9 million Euros last season playing 800 mins of football. So you telling me half a season and hes value gone up 10 fold? Clubs never operated like this. Its pure desperation and teams taking advantage.

The Firestarter

its insane. These smaller clubs taking the prem of bozos. That Ukrainian player was valued at 9 million Euros last season playing 800 mins of football. So you telling me half a season and hes value gone up 10 fold? Clubs never operated like this. Its pure desperation and teams taking advantage.
:lol: Pure undiluted insanity. The smaller European sides must be laughing all their way to the bank that such idiots such as Boehly actually exist.

Lemoor

And it evidently wasn't ovious with Enzo 6 months ago, since Benfica got him uncontested for ~10 million euros. The massive difference in valuation had to come in the last 6 months when only half a season of portuguese league and world cup happened for him.

Jeffthered

We're not top 3 anymore!
That's a lot of money for Fernandez. Is he better than his team mate at Brighton? I didn't see that during the WC. He didn't even play every game.

That top ten list is interesting. I'm not sure if there are many in that list that would improve our team, for various reasons. That list should be shown to all who think big money improves teams. How many of those big signings have improved the teams they were signed by? Really improved them?

The money for Fernandez should suggest he is one of the best footballers on the planet. So we will see. And I don't want to hear '... he will need a season etc etc to find his form, bla bla bla...'

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
@Messier1994
Haha, it’s a homage and just for the fun of it.

This is an more in-depth analysis.
Hey - the other thread got locked. Didn't realise this was your handle!

And yep - with you now, this is meant to be a bit more lighthearted and comedic when compared to Swiss Ramble!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

If it was that obvious then how come he only went to Benfica in the last year? If his talent was that obvious then you would have expected Madrid or somebody to pick up up at 16. He's 22 - I could get your argument if he was 17 or something.

romufc

I was thinking, apart from being a key key key player in a PL/CL triumph, how can Enzo prove his fee?

He isn't a flashy player ala Pogba / Jude, he is a passing midfielder.

I am struggling to see how he won't be under immense pressure in the next 12 months.