Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Because a lot of South American players have dual nationality, Argentina/Spain and Brazil/Portugal from colonial days, and in pre-Brexit days some of those players didn't require a visa, now they do
Yeah, sure, but that's for the European passport element then.

Italy is a big one, I have the entire maternal family (>100 people) with Italian passports because my great grandfather came from there 150 years ago.

antohan

Well, the entire point of taking the risk is to improve upon what has been done before. City's model is not comparable in terms of its function or scale. I understand your latter point but the entire structure, as proposed and so far shown, is almost exactly taking Brighton's 'gem-finding' without taking risks with the main club. Salah and KDB cases are not really relevant but were also not failures of a very different, older system - it was simply poor management and lack of structure after the groundwork had been laid. If in 2/3 years Casadei wants to leave for triple his initial value, it's not a failure even if he goes on to be a superstar. De Bruyne was bought for 6.7m and Chelsea more than tripled that (sale + sell-on clause).
Wowza, you made 12M on KDB. Just think what Chelsea would have been these years with Salah and KDB hitting their prime there :eek:

I'm far more impressed about you getting a player like Kante at the right time, readiness and decent fee. Hazard carried you (in terms of staying competitive at the top) for years after paying the old equivalent of 100M today. Similar can be said about an ageing Silva and your defence.

I think there's room for the occasional gamble, but for the most part top teams really need to focus on management/stylistic continuity (we've sucked at it since SAF) and incremental surgical ready-made signings to go up a notch (we somehow managed to suck even more at this).

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Look at City, they also have various clubs and their academy players typically drop off to the feeders, not the other way around. The setup ends up working well for that, e.g. instead of selling Iqbal for 1M we could get him to play and develop his way at a shopwindow club to being maybe 10M, which he wouldn't stuck in our reserves.
I believe City's plan for these 'City Football Group clubs' is very different compared to what the Chelsea owners are trying to do.

For City the satellite clubs are more or less just about raising their global brand but with Chelsea the vision for Strasbourg, and potentially other clubs later on, is much more closely linked to player development and talent scouting. Rather than the example of City the idea seems to be more in line with the Red Bull organization who regularly have players make the step up from Salzburg to Leipzig.

Notable players who have moved between the two RB clubs in recent years include the likes of Peter Gulacsi, Konrad Laimer, Dayot Upamecano, Amadou Haidara, Naby Keita and Benjamin Sesko. That's not a bad record at all.

Some players will be bought by Chelsea and put on the loan route with a few spells at Strasbourg to either develop them into being good enough to make the step up or be sold for profit later on to help with FFP. Others will be bought by Strasbourg directly and if they prove themselves there they can then be transferred to Chelsea at a price tag that will be less than the same player would command on the open market, due to the clubs being owned by the same party (this is what the RB clubs do all the time). It's dodgy as feck but as long as the rules allow this kind of practice the owners will give it a go. Wouldn't be surprised if some rule changes are made sooner rather than later though.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yeah, sure, but that's for the European passport element then.

Italy is a big one, I have the entire maternal family (>100 people) with Italian passports because my great grandfather came from there 150 years ago.
The difference now is that those Italian/Spanish/Portuguese passport holders now require a visa to work in the UK which pre-Brexit they didn't, our newest CF was also in the same boat, the problem I see is getting visas for non-international capped players that we deem to have potential, I think that's going to be a lot harder in future

antohan

I believe City's plan for these 'City Football Group clubs' is very different compared to what the Chelsea owners are trying to do.

For City the satellite clubs are more or less just about raising their global brand but with Chelsea the vision for Strasbourg, and potentially other clubs later on, is much more closely linked to player development and talent scouting. Rather than the example of City the idea seems to be more in line with the Red Bull organization who regularly have players make the step up from Salzburg to Leipzig.

Notable players who have moved between the two RB clubs in recent years include the likes of Peter Gulacsi, Konrad Laimer, Dayot Upamecano, Amadou Haidara, Naby Keita and Benjamin Sesko. That's not a bad record at all.

Some players will be bought by Chelsea and put on the loan route with a few spells at Strasbourg to either develop them into being good enough to make the step up or be sold for profit later on to help with FFP. Others will be bought by Strasbourg directly and if they prove themselves there they can then be transferred to Chelsea at a price tag that will be less than the same player would command on the open market, due to the clubs being owned by the same party (this is what the RB clubs do all the time). It's dodgy as feck but as long as the rules allow this kind of practice the owners will give it a go. Wouldn't be surprised if some rule changes are made sooner rather than later though.
I agree City's model has little to do with sourcing talent.

Re Chelsea/Red Bull. What have Red Bull won? They saved or made money on transfers, great... so what? When they had a genuine world beating cyborg they couldn't keep hold of him.

The model requires letting go of players and constantly chopping and changing. The moment you start building a settled first team opportunities dry up and those attracted by the development focus and moving on to bigger things get turned off/disappointed. Hamster in the wheel.

I think it's a great model for a midtable side that wants to challenge the big clubs ala Brighton or RB. It makes them attractive to young talented players and makes economic sense, but I wouldn't want to see United go down that path personally.

The only clear benefit I can see is that, as someone pointed out, Brexit visa changes could make recruitment of up and coming talent harder. Not missing out and holding certain players for a couple of years while they got enough caps, etc. But then, that's what we used Royal Antwerp for so nothing new, and the likes of Dong never pulled up any trees either.

Last edited:

antohan

The difference now is that those Italian/Spanish/Portuguese passport holders now require a visa to work in the UK which pre-Brexit they didn't, our newest CF was also in the same boat, the problem I see is getting visas for non-international capped players that we deem to have potential, I think that's going to be a lot harder in future
Yeah, I got it. For a moment I thought you meant any player anywhere when it's "just" those advantaged pre-Brexit by European free movement.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yeah, I got it. For a moment I thought you meant any player anywhere when it's "just" those advantaged pre-Brexit by European free movement.
It does affect some from, mostly from South America, that wouldn't have been an issue in the past because of the dual nationality

antohan

It does affect some from, mostly from South America, that wouldn't have been an issue in the past because of the dual nationality
Because they were advantaged by European free movement. We are saying the same thing really :lol:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Watching extended highlights of Chelsea-Liverpool again, it’s not surprising that Argentina won the World Cup. Enzo and Alexis ran the midfield for either team, even without a natural DM beside them. Great combination of physical tenacity with technical ability.

MrWilliams

This guy is a player. Wanted him when he was still at Benfica. Him next to Casemiro would make our midfield a force.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He's trying too hard almost I think. Wants to be the man for everything, just need to relax and play his game. Can see his quality, Shouldn't be on penalties probably though.

Over the next season or two as our attack improves, we get Nkunku back, he'll be a top player in the more advanced role he's got now. I see it all taking time for us, you can't just change your entire team and expect it to click in one season.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Its good that he looks like that dude from Simple Plan but he is no music you know what im saying?

cyberman

Adds nothing to attack nor defence, I’m struggling to see what he adds to the team. Even the game Chelsea play well in is chaotic with little midfield control.
He has the stats through, that’s something.

Zoo

Completely invisible. A bit shocking really

mu4c_20le

Very clumsy 'tackle' in the box, something you'd expect from fellaini at his worst

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Didn't notice him at all.

STYLOISRED

He made Amrabat look like Scholes by comparison. Most have been responsible for half of the total turnover in midfield.

JustinC00

Him and Caicedo got bossed around by a MF of Amrabat and McTominay and that was ETH taking it easy on them by resting Mainoo tonight.

lysglimt

Scout
Him and Caicedo got bossed around by a MF of Amrabat and McTominay and that was ETH taking it easy on them by resting Mainoo tonight.
Yeah that was my thought for most of the game as well - I mean Caicedo and Enzo aren't bad players - but they look awful at Chelsea

Ekeke

They had most of the ball, made more passes and touches and won the ball more. So this is just inaccurate.

However McTom got forward and scored 2 goals and could have had more. They certainly didnt do that. Oh and they certainly didnt play like incredibly expensive midfielders. And Caicedo was better than Enzo

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I was saying when they signed him he only had 3 months of European football. Never sign due to world cup performances
Kleberson comes to mind, who would probably cost 60-80m in today's inflated market off the back of an impressive string of WC performances. Imagine splurging that kind of loot for Kleberson.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's busy but yes I don't see the hype over him either.

Endless wild shooting from edge of box, lack of discipline in tackles and generally a safe but unambitious passer.

Have I missed anything?