Eredivisie 2023/2024

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Got two tickets for the Utrecht - Volendam game. Looking forward to it!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Got two tickets for the Utrecht - Volendam game. Looking forward to it!
You're a bit unlucky with the quality of the football probably, but being in a stadium is always fun. And it might anyway have been sold out if Utrecht had been playing top opposition!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You're a bit unlucky with the quality of the football probably, but being in a stadium is always fun. And it might anyway have been sold out if Utrecht had been playing top opposition!
Hopefully it's not that bad! I'm used to lower level football nowadays anyway as an Everton fan + I try and get to a game every fortnight or so in the UK so have been to games from as low as the Southern Counties League up to the PL. Nowadays I just enjoy watching live football. :)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hopefully it's not that bad! I'm used to lower level football nowadays anyway as an Everton fan + I try and get to a game every fortnight or so in the UK so have been to games from as low as the Southern Counties League up to the PL. Nowadays I just enjoy watching live football. :)
Yeah, the live experience is always fun, pretty much regardless of the level!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
How the hell did Ajax suddenly move back into 4th again? (Assuming current result against PSV holds). Looks like they can even get back into the top 3 pretty easily. Quite the turnaround.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ajax aren't pushovers anymore. Henderson, even without legs, will be a great addition in our league bossing all those kids around on their midfield. Deserved to win yesterday, though I suppose with Kenneth Taylor missing sitters isn't really an exception. Brobbey is becoming really really good. Should be our main striker at the Euro's probably. Or Zirkzee who is allegedly doing well in Italy (who the feck watches that anyway).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How the hell did Ajax suddenly move back into 4th again? (Assuming current result against PSV holds). Looks like they can even get back into the top 3 pretty easily. Quite the turnaround.
Anything between the top and bottom is super close together. When Ajax were last, they were two games behind, which they both won, and have since been performing more consistently. So getting at least to 5th fairly quickly was to be expected. I thought getting to 3rd would be harder, but AZ and Twente have both had a poor couple of weeks and are now within reach as well. But I would expect that's the limit for Ajax this season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Pretty good game to have chosen! Booth on fire with a hat trick and his brother scored the opener for the opponent :)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Pretty good game to have chosen! Booth on fire with a hat trick and his brother scored the opener for the opponent :)
Aah you were at this one. Great game it seems yes.

Better than our victory over AZ. We were fecking abysmal.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Aah you were at this one. Great game it seems yes.

Better than our victory over AZ. We were fecking abysmal.
It's actually a really nice stadium and atmosphere. Pleasantly surprised. :lol:

Defending in both sides was absolutely shocking though. It could have been 3-0 Utrecht in the first 2 minutes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
First time in the Eredivisie that two non-Dutch brothers scored against each other in the same match, apparently. That's not at all farfetched, it's a truly historic moment that I'm sure you felt honoured to witness and will one day tell your grandchildren about.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
First time in the Eredivisie that two non-Dutch brothers scored against each other in the same match, apparently. That's not at all farfetched, it's a truly historic moment that I'm sure you felt honoured to witness and will one day tell your grandchildren about.
I will forever remember it. Taylor, Taylor booooooooth!

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
I like the job JvS has done, definitely much more of an attacking verve to this side. Hendo had a nice game, definitely more of the talent standard Ajax we’re accustomed to under Overmars. Still can’t keep a clean sheet though!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hard man Henderson has really transformed Ajax. He doesnt really do anything with the ball, but his pointing at teammates and gesturing where they should go is impressive.

Biggest question though, was it in?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Anything between the top and bottom is super close together. When Ajax were last, they were two games behind, which they both won, and have since been performing more consistently. So getting at least to 5th fairly quickly was to be expected. I thought getting to 3rd would be harder, but AZ and Twente have both had a poor couple of weeks and are now within reach as well. But I would expect that's the limit for Ajax this season.
And now they're much less within reach. I guess 5th is Ajax's level this season.

Well, anything can happen of course, but that was a big opportunity for another step up today, against AZ.
Hard man Henderson has really transformed Ajax. He doesnt really do anything with the ball, but his pointing at teammates and gesturing where they should go is impressive.

Biggest question though, was it in?
The bigger questions appears to be: can he stay fit? Although I suppose you can also point and gesture from the bench.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Has any of the multiple Ajax signings in the summer actually performed well?

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Has any of the multiple Ajax signings in the summer actually performed well?
Ramaj, probably our player of the season other than Brobbey.

And just taking the squad in general, Ramaj, Brobbey, Hato being our only consistent performers over the whole season, with Brobbey missing a lot of chances for a while in the first half of the season though playing well otherwise, and Hato having a stretch of more average performances this past month or so, but both being clear (and only) standouts outside of those lesser stretches.

Ramaj has been more or less consistent ever since he came into the starting XI, and looks like a very complete goalie already (incredible passer and seemingly a pretty great shotstopper too, though I find that harder to judge consistently)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Apparently Arsenal, Spurs and Newcastle are interested in Quinten Timber. Think he can actually get to that level in time.
I don't get it - do you think he can or are you doubting it?

No idea how he's doing this season btw.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't get it - do you think he can or are you doubting it?

No idea how he's doing this season btw.
I think he can, actually, get to that level. He just needs a bit more time I think.

He's having a fantastic season. Probably our best player with Hancko (and Gimenez up to January when he suddenly unlearned football).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ajax conceded their 72nd goal today. New record. Breaking the 71 goals they conceded somewhere in the late 60s (I think).

Jordan Henderson is turning out to be a fantastic signing. Wonder if he regrets leaving his gilded cage in the emirates.

Renfurm

Supports
N.E.C.
Win the cup, finish above Ajax and Vitesse getting relegated would make this the best season ever

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
you're loving this aren't you?
Nah, I love Feyenoord doing better than Ajax on the field. This rubbish at the top is just sad.

Though I suppose a small bit of Schadenfreude is hard to surpress at this point.

I mean after Mislintat, just how...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Reports suggest he bought the shares in the last week of July!?

I guess it was a bad idea in more than one way.

Also speaking of Mislintat, if anyone still cares, it looks like he's going to land softly.

Though glancing at things from afar it seems like there's still no reason (in terms of player development) for Ajax to regret their decision of sacking him?

At least Mikautadze is scoring regularly again :yawn:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Reports suggest he bought the shares in the last week of July!?

I guess it was a bad idea in more than one way.

Also speaking of Mislintat, if anyone still cares, it looks like he's going to land softly.

Though glancing at things from afar it seems like there's still no reason (in terms of player development) for Ajax to regret their decision of sacking him?

At least Mikautadze is scoring regularly again :yawn:
I think the problem isn't necessarily that Mislintat bought so many duds (though he did). It's that Ajax gave him complete control. An outsider with zero knowledge of what Ajax are and the way they play. And the way Ajax play is kind of a thing for them. Having invented, and still being the only club in the world able to, play proper football.

Ok, I'm loving it a tiny bit, but it's not personal @Terranova. I'm sure it will be less than 5 years when we get hammered 10-0 by PSV again and you'll be in the CL.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I mean, ofcourse battering Ajax is awesome, but for the love of God, sack John van 't Schip. He completely forsakes the Ajax way (playing 5 at the back, timewasting from the get-go) and still gets demolished like this.

Beating Ajax will probably never get old (we don't do it that often), but not like this. Okay a few times like this, but rather like last year with a last minute 2-3 winner.